PDA

View Full Version : Rear ended

DEE-80Y
22nd December 2008, 02:43 PM
Friggin great! Some guy hit my car today.

Traffic came to a stop and the dude behind me was either travelling too close or started braking too late, and hit me up the bum.

The damage isn't too bad, I have a nice new dent across the boot and a small dent in the bumper near the number plate.

I will post the pics once I get home. All in all, no one was injured and my car was better off than his early to mid 90's toyota hilux (his front bumper is pretty bad and will need replacing).

I'm insured with NRMA, so I will see what come of all the repairs on wednesday (bloody xmas eve).

sooty
22nd December 2008, 02:46 PM
That's really unlucky mate, luckily it's an open shut case that it's his fault.
Not long and she'll be back to good as new :cool:

lithium
22nd December 2008, 03:27 PM
unlucky mate - other guy obviously wasn't paying attention but it happens to the best of us at times
agree on open and shut case, every insurance company in the world will say the other party is at fault. will be back to new before you know it:)

btm
22nd December 2008, 03:52 PM
sorry to hear buddy, hope the repairs go well

Jerram
22nd December 2008, 07:06 PM
get him to pay you the cost of a (holden sourced) oem rear bumper, then use that money to buy a vxr (etc.) bumper on the cheap from the usual sources.

DEE-80Y
22nd December 2008, 09:18 PM
get him to pay you the cost of a (holden sourced) oem rear bumper, then use that money to buy a vxr (etc.) bumper on the cheap from the usual sources.

Sounds good.

Problem with that is, I drive a Corsa C

btm
23rd December 2008, 09:04 AM
Sounds good.

Problem with that is, I drive a Corsa C

where there is a will, there is a way! :p

DEE-80Y
23rd December 2008, 02:27 PM
I don't think there is enough damage for a replacement, but I will find out tomorrow.

I was gonna post some pics of the damage, but the pics don't show much. I guess you will just have to take my word for it.

immenotu
23rd December 2008, 07:53 PM
I don't think there is enough damage for a replacement, but I will find out tomorrow.

A lady ran into my rear bumper in a carpark (luckily someone saw it and wrote down the rego). The damage was very minimal, however the repairer said it would still cost the same to repair it as to replace it, so i ended up getting a new rear bar. Hopefully you get the same!

John_LS1
23rd December 2008, 09:09 PM
A lady ran into my rear bumper in a carpark (luckily someone saw it and wrote down the rego). The damage was very minimal, however the repairer said it would still cost the same to repair it as to replace it, so i ended up getting a new rear bar. Hopefully you get the same!

exactly the same happened to me, got a new rear bar, spoiler repainted and also the peice above the number plate done. $1500 worth of damage.

DEE-80Y
24th December 2008, 09:49 AM
Yeah, it looks like they are replacing the rear bumper and repairing the boot.

J
2nd January 2009, 02:16 PM
Really sorry to hear, Dee. I lost my last car the exact same way :(

Do be aware of internal damage! The rear bumper cover (that is, the rear plastic bar) is usually quite resilient, and will return to shape after a small hit. However, its mounting clips might mostly be broken due to the impact. On top of that, the reinforcement inside the bumper cover (that is, the metal cross beam, the actual "bumper" that we can't see unless we take off the rear bar) may have absorbed the brunt of the impact and "caved in", requiring a replacement. With that in mind, I do hope that your insurance company's vehicle inspector actually removed the rear bar to check if this is the case, as part of the damage assessment and quotation!

sadavidsriturbo
2nd January 2009, 02:24 PM
I feel your pain i got hit today when parked

link

http://www.opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19591

DEE-80Y
2nd January 2009, 10:54 PM
I feel your pain i got hit today when parked

link

http://www.opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19591

I just read the thread, sorry to see mate. Glad everyone's ok, I don't think I can complain about my little scratch after seeing yours.

ASTRAY
7th January 2009, 01:53 AM
well they say things happen in 3s...
mine is hardly worth mentioning though...but will anyway...
was parked in front of a car yard today, checking to see if they had any turbo g's.
was walking out of the yard when i heard someone blow their horn.
turned out it was my missus blowing my astras horn, the idiot 50something commo driver parked infront of me had reversed into my front bumper and his towbar socket had scratched my paint off.
he started to try to take off but traffic was pretty heavy and he couldnt get away before i could get to his driver door and stop him.
he got out and asked what was wrong and i told him he had hit my car.
he started raving saying he hadnt and kept saying if i tried to claim he would dispute it. :mad:
he only shut up once id found and shown him my silver paint on his towbar socket, and still only after id proven that the 4 scrathes matched in size to the 4 lines of his towbar socket. :p
its honestly only extremely small, hardly noticable, but the bumper has a few other minor scratches etc from other things and i figure if i can get the whole bar resprayed itll be worth it to claim against him lol.
im hoping i can get the smash repairer next door to my work to say the bumper needs replacing, if so ill look at getting a kit bumper :D hehe

DEE-80Y
7th January 2009, 04:51 AM
Good work mate, sucked in to him trying to get away. Get a new bumper at his expense just for being a tool.

9090GO
7th January 2009, 07:24 AM
Sorry to hear this and good luck with the insurance as well.

ASTRAY
7th January 2009, 06:16 PM
Good work mate, sucked in to him trying to get away. Get a new bumper at his expense just for being a tool.

lol, im still to contact my insurer, nrma, about it.
thing is though, his insurer is nrma too, so im guessing they will try to scrimp as much as they can.
fingers crossed i dont have to pay any excess lol, if i do ill just leave it.