PDA

View Full Version : Pros/Cons of Catback

BEK-46P
19th December 2008, 06:09 PM
Booked my ride in for 2.25" catback tomorrow at Unique Mufflers. Steve's quoted me $500 for stainless steel system. Seems to be a genuine guy, knows his stuff and actually inspected my car before he advised me on anything (couldn't say the same for Versace). I don't remember the exhaust he's using but he assured me that the noise will be a nice deep growl, not too "street". He's even letting my drive it around before I pay him.

Before I take it in, I'm interested to know of any cons of getting a catback, besides the obvious drone.

MatsHolden
19th December 2008, 06:15 PM
No real cons, if the system is done properly it shouldn't drone. Seams like a good service becing offered by him and that's a pretty good price for a stainless system. Only con would be that it's not as good as getting a full system, extractors, cats the lot. But cat-back is fine while your car is still under warranty as it won't void it.

lithium
19th December 2008, 06:31 PM
no cons if sound is what you're after
only a little pro if you want performance :)

one thing to check is to make sure your new oversized exhaust doesn't bang on the underbody. during your test drive put your car under load at low RPM (eg. go into second gear at idle revs, then floor the pedal). also turn corners both left and right. go over a speed bump quickly. if it bangs, let them know so they can readjust the hangers/pipes

Jase
19th December 2008, 06:36 PM
Booked my ride in for 2.25" catback tomorrow at Unique Mufflers. Steve's quoted me $500 for stainless steel system. Seems to be a genuine guy, knows his stuff and actually inspected my car before he advised me on anything (couldn't say the same for Versace). I don't remember the exhaust he's using but he assured me that the noise will be a nice deep growl, not too "street". He's even letting my drive it around before I pay him.

Before I take it in, I'm interested to know of any cons of getting a catback, besides the obvious drone.

Is Versace the one on canterbury rd ?

BEK-46P
19th December 2008, 06:38 PM
Is Versace the one on canterbury rd ?

Australia's Best, whatever they're called :p

Jase
19th December 2008, 07:45 PM
have u tried bestmufflers at cartlon ?

BEK-46P
20th December 2008, 12:15 AM
have u tried bestmufflers at cartlon ?

My brother got his Maloo done at Unique Mufflers and is very happy with it.

I found out about Best Mufflers through this forum but didn't enquire into their services. They seem to be held in high regard though. I would be curious to see what they would quote for the catback I'll be getting at Unique.

BEK-46P
20th December 2008, 01:10 PM
All done and installed, but I must say, it's louder than what I expected. There's a lot of low end and after about 45 mins of driving, my ears started to hurt!

Jase
20th December 2008, 01:17 PM
you got any pics of it ?

BEK-46P
20th December 2008, 01:26 PM
No pics yet. For what it's worth, I ended up using the stock tip.

I'll drive it around this weekend and if it's still annoying me, I'll call him on Monday.

Out of curiosity, what will need to be done to make it quieter?

CNBLU
20th December 2008, 02:03 PM
Resonators or Mufflers will make it quieter. Good thing you didnt go 3";)

BEK-46P
21st December 2008, 05:25 PM
Okay, so I decided to take it back tomorrow. The thing has a nice tone but it's just too damn loud (sound like an old fart, don't I?).

He did tell me it needs to be "worn in" but does this mean it's going to get louder?

I'll talk to him about a resonator - you think he will charge me extra?

MatsHolden
21st December 2008, 06:55 PM
He did tell me it needs to be "worn in" but does this mean it's going to get louder?

I'll talk to him about a resonator - you think he will charge me extra?

An exhaust will only get louder with time.

I'd say he would charge some extra to put in a resonator or put on a larger resonator if he's already got one in there.