PDA

View Full Version : HSV - Diesel Commodore

digifish
18th December 2008, 02:20 PM
Looks like the first diesel Commodore may come from HSV...

http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2008/large-passenger/hsv/hsv-diesel-deadline-set-11175

HSV diesel deadline set (December 2008) (http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2008/large-passenger/hsv/hsv-diesel-deadline-set-11175)

words - Mike Sinclair (http://www.carsales.com.au/news-reviews-advice/results.aspx?N=2981+4294966965)

HSV will confirm its diesel plans by Easter HSV boss Phil Harding has said his company will confirm its diesel plans by Easter 2009. Speaking to the Carsales Network, the hot Holden arm's Managing Director said pointedly his company would "put up or shut up" on diesels by the Q2 holiday deadline.
Harding confirmed HSV was continuing to investigate diesel powertrain options for its Commodore-based models -- along with LPG variants (see separate story) -- at a meeting in Melbourne yesterday.
He singled out diesel as a potent factor in growing HSV's export markets
"There are reasons why we're investigating different alternative fuel strategies... Diesel started because when we launched VXR8 in the UK, I got a lot of questions about where was the diesel version. Certainly the cars that you're 'battling' with on the roads are diesels," Harding explained.
"Diesel in Europe is a little more advanced than here. You don't fill the car up round the corner at the truck pump. You don't end up smelling of diesel when you get back in the car.
"You look around at what Mercedes and BMW do and they come out with some great product at the top-end of the diesel market... So if HSV was going to do a diesel it would do a decent diesel that attempted to replicate the expectation of what a performance car would be like.
"With that in mind we've had a look at two diesel engines. In the business case for that -- it's not approved yet, it's still ongoing -- we think that it is crucial [we have a diesel option] if we're ever going to export in larger numbers."
Harding confirmed HSV had been evaluating the 2.9-litre VM Motori-sourced V6 diesel that General Motors will offer in European versions of the Cadillac CTS. He also stated another six-cylinder turbodiesel of European origin had been tested.
Though he would not confirm the origin of the engine, last year the Carsales Network confirmed HSV had been running a BMW turbodiesel VE mule.
Though unlikely, Harding has consistently stated that HSV's diesel plans could potentially see the carmaker fit a non-GM affiliated powerplant. Indeed, he quotes the example of Opel's move in the late 1990s to fit a 2.5-litre BMW turbodiesel six to the Omega executive sedan.
While the HSV boss would not talk export targets, he offered up the example of sales of 300C as an example of the potential impact diesel could have on HSV's fortunes in European markets. According to the HSV boss, in the same period Chrysler sold five petrol 300Cs in Italy, it also sold 1200 turbodiesel versions.
"I'm not saying we're about to sell 1200 diesel HSVs into Italy," Harding qualified. "But it's indicative of the effect."
On the local front, Holden itself seems to have gone quiet on diesel variants of Commodore, preferring to play its displacement on demand (AFM), E85 and LPG cards.
Could 'outsourcing' local diesel customers to HSV and delivering the performance offshoot a leg up in the export stakes therefore deliver a result bigger than the sum total of its parts? It seems we'll have to wait and ask the Easter Bunny...

To comment on this article click here (javascript:void(window.open('/Tig/Feedback.aspx?ReferURL=http:**www.carsales.com.au* news*2008*large-passenger*hsv*hsv-diesel-deadline-set-11175&ModID=1610050&RecordID=11175','','width=430,%20height=460'))) Published : Thursday, 18 December 2008

dieselhead
18th December 2008, 03:19 PM
I'll have a wagon with the 3.0 sd twin turbo diesel from BMW, thanks :)

MatsHolden
18th December 2008, 03:39 PM
They've already been testing the BMW diesel in the VE for a while.

dieselhead
18th December 2008, 03:44 PM
Not sure it was the 200 kW/550 Nm twin turbo version though. A VE wagon with that under the bonnet would be fantastic.

Ice
18th December 2008, 03:49 PM
That would be a great idea........

Although now there are alot of alternatives that come with Diesel.

MatsHolden
18th December 2008, 03:54 PM
Not sure it was the 200 kW/550 Nm twin turbo version though. A VE wagon with that under the bonnet would be fantastic.

I think it was more just seeing how a diesel would go with the VE platform. Don't think they were testing it with the vision of it being used in production models at that stage since there wasn't a GM engine available at the time.

rjastra
18th December 2008, 04:58 PM
I think GM use VM diesels for larger applications. The new CTS is available with a large capacity v6 diesel.

Wraith
18th December 2008, 09:28 PM
Far out, amazing what tough economic times can do...although I think these and other projects on the board by GMH have been cooking for a while, it's no secret GMH will release a petrol TT V6 sometime in 2009 !!! ie: if they don't go belly up first...

TTD V6 mmmmm, sounds very tasty :)

Shaun
18th December 2008, 11:30 PM
Far out, amazing what tough economic times can do...although I think these and other projects on the board by GMH have been cooking for a while, it's no secret GMH will release a petrol TT V6 sometime in 2009 !!! ie: if they don't go belly up first...

TTD V6 mmmmm, sounds very tasty :)

I dont think this has been a " knee jurk reaction " either. I think this has been on the cards since the development of the VE Commodore. I think you will find GM are trying to get the commodore into the European market. Lets face it Opel and Vauxhall dont have a main stream large product anymore. VE with a Diesel Option will fill a void for both brands.

The timing of all this is just happened at a time of a down turn in the market thats all.

Shaun