PDA

View Full Version : 120000 KMs service, help needed.

9090GO
16th December 2008, 10:06 PM
Hello guys, my car is going in to Holden (Westpoint Auto at Indooroopilly) for a 120000 kms major service next Tuesday. I need to know what is actually involve in terms of changing oil, oil filter, auto gearbox oil, coolant, timing chain, brake pads etc, I don't want them charge me for something they didn't do or didn't do it properly.

I am only trust the Holden place to a certain extent, as they charged me $600 to install a pair of Angel eyes!!!:mad: Long story, I won't go in to it now.

I don't want to make the same mistake again, any points that I need to aware of guys, thanks very much for your help!

Liang

tuzinski
16th December 2008, 10:07 PM
600 bucks to install angels?
are you insane?

a auto elec would do it for 80 bucks or so

9090GO
16th December 2008, 10:30 PM
600 bucks to install angels?
are you insane?

a auto elec would do it for 80 bucks or so

I wasn't there, I was down at VIC at that time, my dad took the car in, the auto electrician from Westpoint said he will install the Angels and HIDs for $150. Well, I thought the Angels are H7 not H1 bulb type so I ordered the H1 HIDs. My dad told me the auto electrician was going to make the hole bigger so the H7 bulb fit into the Angels...:eek:

At the end, he didn't put the HIDs in as he realised the bulb type were wrong. Holden charged $600 (include 4 x H1 phillips halogen bulbs). The auto electrician said he spend more than 5 hours (pigs arse!!).

MK
16th December 2008, 10:36 PM
get quote for the whole service, get the name of the person who gave you the quote and stick to it.

there should be a detailed outline what is involved (parts and labour) in 120k service in your cars operational manual...

USC
16th December 2008, 11:11 PM
I wasn't there, I was down at VIC at that time, my dad took the car in, the auto electrician from Westpoint said he will install the Angels and HIDs for $150. Well, I thought the Angels are H7 not H1 bulb type so I ordered the H1 HIDs. My dad told me the auto electrician was going to make the hole bigger so the H7 bulb fit into the Angels...:eek:

At the end, he didn't put the HIDs in as he realised the bulb type were wrong. Holden charged $600 (include 4 x H1 phillips halogen bulbs). The auto electrician said he spend more than 5 hours (pigs arse!!).

Holden is a disgrace! $600!!! :eek: He is a mechanic for god sake..not an engineer!!

auzvectra
16th December 2008, 11:21 PM
just tell them to keep the tech 2 away from your car, incase they decide to update the software, n overwrite the map :(.
i'd be taking it elsewhere but, like autoleaders ect... cheaper, n prob beta too ;).

9090GO
17th December 2008, 06:59 AM
just tell them to keep the tech 2 away from your car, incase they decide to update the software, n overwrite the map :(.
i'd be taking it elsewhere but, like autoleaders ect... cheaper, n prob beta too ;).

Well, I had a service contract with them because its a Holden certify used car, have a full log book history, so I might as well keep it going.

I will leave a note tell them keep the Tech2 away, thanks for that Mat:)

auzvectra
17th December 2008, 09:25 AM
fair enough, just as long as they know not to update the software. haha stick another note on the cover under the handbrake ;).

lithium
17th December 2008, 10:29 AM
whoa $600 to change the headlights :eek: that doesn't sound right unless your angels needed to be rewired to fit the OEM plug or something...
if you're doing stuff like changing headlights do it yourself with a haynes manual. haynes is your friend :)

i don't know of any special points to be aware of, i guess get the quote before the car goes in and stick to it as mentioned. i think the going rate is something like $1200 for the timing belt service?

auzvectra
17th December 2008, 08:47 PM
it's the 2.2L with a timing chain, so it doesnt cop that extra cost :).

ASTRAY
17th December 2008, 09:16 PM
you couls do what others have done, make little marks on parts they need to change for the service, when you get the car back check to see if your marked parts are still there or if they have changed them, eg oil filter etc.

you could also make a little liquid paper mark on the underneath of a bolt they need to remove to do the chain, if the mark is still there untouched when you get the car back you will know they havent changed your chain.

as someone said get a quote, perhaps try a few different dealerships, then when you find the best price get them to write the quote on paper.

cheers auz for the reminder about tech2, mine is almost due too, but for 75,000km.

9090GO
18th December 2008, 07:28 AM
Thanks guys, I rang them up and she quote me $500 for the service. I am going to buy my own oil, sspark plugs etc, save some money.

auzvectra
18th December 2008, 10:08 AM
i'd sujest penrite hpr10 for the oil ;). it's a high quality semi synthetic.

lithium
18th December 2008, 10:23 AM
it's the 2.2L with a timing chain, so it doesnt cop that extra cost :).

ah, cool. do the 2.2s need the chains changed at all?
if not i should have scrapped up the extra pennies and bought an Astra SRi instead dammit :p

auzvectra
18th December 2008, 10:32 AM
i belive they are a maintenance free timing chain ;).
although thay had the issue at 1st with the oil nipple was too small and they needed to be changed, afta that i belive they were fine.

9090GO
18th December 2008, 10:33 PM
Have a quick question for you auzvectra, they have to use Tech2 to cancel the service light on the speedo, is that right?

Went to Autobarn tonight, bought the Penrite Sin 10 fully synthetic oil and also ordered the NGK spark plugs, they were $25 each!

auzvectra
18th December 2008, 11:04 PM
i'm not a fan of full synth oil, theres a reason but i forget :p. it's alright but, just expensive ;).
nope, u can clear the service light urself by pressing the trip reset button for a few seconds till it goes ---- on the trip, as u turn the ign to on.