PDA

View Full Version : New Nissan 370Z vs BMW135i

Wraith
16th December 2008, 09:33 PM
Again like so many other comparisons these days, these 2 are really nothing alike, but the car mag journos seem to want to put anything up against anything else :rolleyes:

But at least one thing that comes out of this comparo is proof of just how potent a performer the new 370Z is, in fact it's a freakin rocket !!!

0-100km/h (0-60mph actually) in 5.1 secs.
1/4 mile in 13.4 secs.......awesome numbers from an N/A powered vehicle and more than enough to match the twin turbo 135i Beemer and it can stop better than a 911 turbo with ceramic brakes !!! :)

It also packs superb handling making it a decent track weapon and much refinement over the previous 350Z

Nissan seem to be just getting better all the time...

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=137806?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..1 .*

GreyRex
16th December 2008, 10:07 PM
Really good review... I like both cars

I can comment properly on the 135i, as my mate purchased a manual one and has done about 2500kms

I've had plenty of drives and let me tell you... it is one great car; nice subdued burble, incredibly strong linear power, GREAT brakes, proper steering. You sort of feel like you actually are part of it when you drive it... if that makes sense

I don't quite get the acceleration times though... the quickest i've seen in any Australian media is about 5.7 0-100km/h. They get 5 dead

The Nissan looks good too... looking forward to seeing it

MatsHolden
16th December 2008, 10:14 PM
Can vouch for the 135i too. Drove the convertable and wow. What a car.

Wraith
16th December 2008, 10:21 PM
Really good review... I like both cars

I can comment properly on the 135i, as my mate purchased a manual one and has done about 2500kms

I've had plenty of drives and let me tell you... it is one great car; nice subdued burble, incredibly strong linear power, GREAT brakes, proper steering. You sort of feel like you actually are part of it when you drive it... if that makes sense

I don't quite get the acceleration times though... the quickest i've seen in any Australian media is about 5.7 0-100km/h. They get 5 dead

The Nissan looks good too... looking forward to seeing it

Absolutely totally correct about the 135i - I too have driven it, although I didn't write it up - yet - because despite being great, it didn't make me forget or make any impression over the Audi TTS I also test drove...good as it is, the Audi is better and it seems so to are many new comers on the horizon :)

As for the numbers of the 135i, I too am puzzled, only the other week an Aussie 135i MT owner (from the 1 series forum) fitted with JB3 (around 20-25% more power and torque than stock) ran his car over the 1/4 and couldn't manage better than low 13's...and most stock owners are getting low 14's, so I too wonder how the mag. boys are getting their numbers ??

When I test drove the 135i, I tried to make some comparison of its performance against the TTS, it did feel more powerful in the mid range, but relatively speaking when comparing forward motion to stationary objects, the TTS seemed to get ahead alot quicker and is definitely quicker off the mark...

Hard to tell though as the TTS remains completely flat and composed like its on rails whereas the 135i has lots of body movement to its drive play...

Back on topic, this new 370Z is sure going to be a hit IMO, they rank it as the best new sports coupe going - big statement :)

Calibrated
17th December 2008, 08:53 AM
call me smug, or whatever. i'd still take the 135i without even glancing at the Z

Ice
17th December 2008, 08:59 AM
call me smug, or whatever. i'd still take the 135i without even glancing at the Z

Yep same here....ok Nissan might be Nice but the Bmer !!!!! mmmmmmm

btm
17th December 2008, 09:02 AM
without driving either, i'd go the Z purely on looks alone

Black Nugget
17th December 2008, 09:19 AM
without driving either, i'd go the Z purely on looks alone

+1 and also based off the exhaust note of the current Z

JohnBu
17th December 2008, 09:50 AM
Go the 370Z, one of the few jap cars i would aspire to.

Wraith
17th December 2008, 12:36 PM
Just thinking about it, for me that's a hard choice between the 135i and 370Z...

Both have very good points, suppose it would come down to which you need more - sports car only or sports car with some practicality.

Just imagine the new 370Z with an APS twin turbo kit on it, like what is available for the 350Z aaaarrrrggghhhh :drool:

If I were going to buy either one of those 2 for the long term, I think I'd have to go with the 370Z and eventually fit the TT kit :)

Calibrated
17th December 2008, 12:52 PM
Just thinking about it, for me that's a hard choice between the 135i and 370Z...

Both have very good points, suppose it would come down to which you need more - sports car only or sports car with some practicality.

Just imagine the new 370Z with an APS twin turbo kit on it, like what is available for the 350Z aaaarrrrggghhhh :drool:

If I were going to buy either one of those 2 for the long term, I think I'd have to go with the 370Z and eventually fit the TT kit :)

or you could take the already TT 135i, and play with the boost, bigger turbo's, etc. im scared to think about what hartge would do with this car.

Wraith
17th December 2008, 01:31 PM
or you could take the already TT 135i, and play with the boost, bigger turbo's, etc. im scared to think about what hartge would do with this car.

Yep, there's that idea too, but the 135i's problem is traction and chassis limited...as I've mentioned above, very hard to get it below low 13's, so even more power dosn't really pay off with one...

On the 1 series forum, a group there are fitting LSD's and race suspension to try and cure the problem, they're spending big bucks, but could've just bought something better to begin with, the 135i is a near perfect car as is, it wouldn't be a good choice to buy for modding IMHO...

The 370Z will be better for this as has been proven by the 350Z's with TT kits and dynamically the 370Z is better than the 350Z.

A TT equipped 370Z will have no probs running 11's and will still handle very well with all the extra power IMO :)

Apex
17th December 2008, 01:42 PM
The Z looks better but the 135i has a superbly built interior and with the optional I-Drive is a much more appealing car to sit in.

The 135i makes it torque with Turbo’s where the Z relies on good old cubic inches.

Both are proper RWD and both are reasonably sporty by today’s standards, one would obviously take the BMW as it’s a higher quality car as the price represents.

From memory the 350Z Track is 65k over here whereas the 135i is 10 grand more before options.. and you’d want options.

But a BMW is a BMW and a Nissan is a Nissan, hard to compare.

tomtom
17th December 2008, 02:10 PM
For everyone saying they'll choose the Z over the BMW, or, any sport car at all, let me point out :

Putting power to the rear wheels is a six-speed SynchroRev Match manual transmission, which is the worlds first synchronized downshift rev matching system. The system "blips" the throttle on downshifts and upshifts, matching engine speed to the next chosen gear, smoothing out gear changes. The driver still has to engage the clutch and move the gear lever, but the computer handles the rest.Link: http://computershopper.com.com/8301-13746_7-10102550-48.html

So basically, you could half-ass drive and still do awesome shifts. This transmission is quicker, smoother and easier to drive than any conventional manual (id imagine), isnt that great!!!???

No. It's clearly very offending to enthusiasts.

Whats happened is the 370Z is now a poser's car. Making a MANUAL transmission not require skill to drive well in a SPORTS car is so very disgusting and pointless.

At this point you would ask, why bother getting the "manual" box then? What is the point? You're just purposely making yourself push a pedal and push a lever (all of which are now reduced to pretty much being buttons) for no apparent reason.

You drive a manual sports car for the sake of requiring skill to drive it well. If you think otherwise, I'm sorry, you're a poser.

Now to be fair, I haven't ever driven this car with this transmission (or any transmission) but I'm pretty sure that the premise for this box is that you'd drive it like you would day-to-day-as-an-average-joe, via Granny shifting. No more heel toes, no more rev matches for over taking, basically, no more fun stuff. Sounds pretty retarded to me.

Sure its probably smoother than I could ever do it but cmon? They shouldn't have called it Manual. They shoudl've called it Computer Assisted Fag Transmission. It's like the dual clutch trans. I think they're amazing and would LOVE to have a car with it. Yes its computer assisted. EVERYWHERE. It's not trying to be some bullshit frankenfag manual, its down right, "Yes. I shift for you. REALLY REALLYL QUICK". Theres no H gear lever, no clutch pedal and theres definately no wannabe'ness to it.

If you still like the 370z, great - whatever makes you happy. I for one tho will never buy one with that kinda crap in it. It takes the fun out of driving a manual sports car (for me anyway).

Get the auto.

:dance:

JohnBu
17th December 2008, 03:24 PM
blah blah blah

you can turn the feature off.

If i owned the car, I would leave it on.

why? save clutch wear. I hardly rev-match when changing gears anyway.

i'll have the 370z with Computer Assisted Fag Transmission over the astra anyday :)

lithium
17th December 2008, 04:03 PM
i know what you mean tom tom and i agree with you to an extent. the enjoyment (for me personally) in driving a manual is definitely in rev matching/heel toeing and getting it right. sort of like hitting a perfect forehand or selling shares at the very peak :)

i'd stop short at calling a 370Z a posers car though. you could be at the track subbornly sticking to the traditional manual box, showing off your supposed skills by heel-toeing and rev matching perfectly at every corner - all the time losing second after second every shift to the guy with the auto rev match gearbox. who is the real poser then? ;)

anyway on topic they both look pretty awesome, hard to pick between the two

Wraith
17th December 2008, 04:27 PM
For everyone saying they'll choose the Z over the BMW, or, any sport car at all, let me point out :

Link: http://computershopper.com.com/8301-13746_7-10102550-48.html

So basically, you could half-ass drive and still do awesome shifts. This transmission is quicker, smoother and easier to drive than any conventional manual (id imagine), isnt that great!!!???

No. It's clearly very offending to enthusiasts.

Whats happened is the 370Z is now a poser's car. Making a MANUAL transmission not require skill to drive well in a SPORTS car is so very disgusting and pointless.

At this point you would ask, why bother getting the "manual" box then? What is the point? You're just purposely making yourself push a pedal and push a lever (all of which are now reduced to pretty much being buttons) for no apparent reason.

You drive a manual sports car for the sake of requiring skill to drive it well. If you think otherwise, I'm sorry, you're a poser.

Now to be fair, I haven't ever driven this car with this transmission (or any transmission) but I'm pretty sure that the premise for this box is that you'd drive it like you would day-to-day-as-an-average-joe, via Granny shifting. No more heel toes, no more rev matches for over taking, basically, no more fun stuff. Sounds pretty retarded to me.

Sure its probably smoother than I could ever do it but cmon? They shouldn't have called it Manual. They shoudl've called it Computer Assisted Fag Transmission. It's like the dual clutch trans. I think they're amazing and would LOVE to have a car with it. Yes its computer assisted. EVERYWHERE. It's not trying to be some bullshit frankenfag manual, its down right, "Yes. I shift for you. REALLY REALLYL QUICK". Theres no H gear lever, no clutch pedal and theres definately no wannabe'ness to it.

If you still like the 370z, great - whatever makes you happy. I for one tho will never buy one with that kinda crap in it. It takes the fun out of driving a manual sports car (for me anyway).

Get the auto.

:dance:

Each to their own and if that's how you feel about the new tech trans in the Nissan fair enough :)

There is traditional and then there is advancement through technology and the way ahead, I for one embrace the new technology...this trans sounds very similar to the operation of a good automated manual, like the DSG in VW's, Audis, Veyron etc. and the new DCT in BMW's and the new PDK in Porsches etc.

I've driven one and want one, if I had the choice I'd never go back to a traditional MT or Auto, the automated manuals are that good and I'm old school, always had and loved manuals, except recently I've had a couple of autos, but now all I'd want is a good automated manual !!!

People who are so against these need to go out and drive some of the vehicles equipped with these new transmissions and then make a final call ;)

Over at the BMW forums I'm a member of so many MT boys have chosen the new DCT over a MT equipped vehicle.

In the future traditional MT's and Autos will be eventually phased out, so it's a case of like it or lump it :)

Also agree with Lithium, if you acquire a 370Z your no poser, that's a personal decision and certainly a very good one because of the calibre/cost of the vehicle is right up there :)

MatsHolden
17th December 2008, 04:52 PM
i know what you mean tom tom and i agree with you to an extent. the enjoyment (for me personally) in driving a manual is definitely in rev matching/heel toeing and getting it right. sort of like hitting a perfect forehand or selling shares at the very peak :)

i'd stop short at calling a 370Z a posers car though. you could be at the track subbornly sticking to the traditional manual box, showing off your supposed skills by heel-toeing and rev matching perfectly at every corner - all the time losing second after second every shift to the guy with the auto rev match gearbox. who is the real poser then? ;)

anyway on topic they both look pretty awesome, hard to pick between the two

He does have a point though, these 'computerised' cars make hacks look like good drivers. You can go down the inside of a corner on completely the wrong line and the computers will still get you around the corner. That's not skill.

tomtom
17th December 2008, 04:57 PM
you can turn the feature off.

If i owned the car, I would leave it on.

why? save clutch wear. I hardly rev-match when changing gears anyway.

i'll have the 370z with Computer Assisted Fag Transmission over the astra anyday :)

It'll go well with your abercrombie shirt :P

I sure hope youre right that it can be turned off. That would change everything and rock my world.

I've driven one and want one, if I had the choice I'd never go back to a traditional MT or Auto, the automated manuals are that good and I'm old school, always had and loved manuals, except recently I've had a couple of autos, but now all I'd want is a good automated manual !!!

People who are so against these need to go out and drive some of the vehicles equipped with these new transmissions and then make a final call

I'm all for hte automated manual boxes but this, isnt an automated manual box. Its a manual box without the fun. That's my view anyway, on with the thread! :)

Wraith
17th December 2008, 05:07 PM
He does have a point though, these 'computerised' cars make hacks look like good drivers. You can go down the inside of a corner on completely the wrong line and the computers will still get you around the corner. That's not skill.

It's all about safety Mat, not skill on the part of the manufacturers ;)

Vehicles are getting more and more powerful and faster and need to also be getting safer - 99.99% of these vehicles will never see a track, but will be driven on roads, therefore they need to be safe and if modern technonolgy can provide, why not !!! :)

rjastra
17th December 2008, 05:33 PM
You can go down the inside of a corner on completely the wrong line and the computers will still get you around the corner.

So? thats a safety feature!
On the other hand a GOOD driver will be able to pick/keep the correct line in a corner and do it faster. That's the feeling of accomplishment in driving. Anyone who denies esp etc etc for those 1 in 1000 corners you stuff up needs a rethink.

I think the rev matching on down changes would be fantastic. One less task to concentrate during cornering. I can heel/toe and do... but it doesn't give me any great feeling of accomplishment.... just shits me when I muck it up.

These arguments on driver involvement seem to pop up every decade... radial tyres, disc brakes, fuel injection, abs, esp.

MatsHolden
17th December 2008, 05:41 PM
So? thats a safety feature!

I guess it is in a way as you won't be understeering into a wall or the scenery. Takes a bit of the thrill away from being right on the limit though.