PDA

View Full Version : RT20 - Something i've been working on

MatsHolden
16th December 2008, 07:59 PM
Just thought i'd post up something i've been working on...

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/MatsHolden/1a.jpg

sooty
16th December 2008, 08:49 PM
Ooo, going public, no longer classified?

BEK-46P
16th December 2008, 08:54 PM
Reminds me of the Nike concept car in Gran Turismo 4!

MatsHolden
16th December 2008, 09:01 PM
Ooo, going public, no longer classified?

Not any more. All submitted now.

sooty
16th December 2008, 09:03 PM
Sweet, here's hoping all is successful, would be a weapon, no question

MatsHolden
16th December 2008, 09:08 PM
Sweet, here's hoping all is successful, would be a weapon, no question

You might be thinking of the race car i'm working on... that's still under wraps.

sooty
16th December 2008, 09:10 PM
You might be thinking of the race car i'm working on... that's still under wraps.

Ahh kk, this is a road car? I just won't say anything for fear of revealing something i shouldn't :)

MatsHolden
16th December 2008, 09:12 PM
Ahh kk, this is a road car? I just won't say anything for fear of revealing something i shouldn't :)

No dramas mate. This one above is a Road/Track concept.

NEMO
16th December 2008, 09:36 PM
nice. Will there be a Z20.. edition?

Wraith
16th December 2008, 09:47 PM
Awesome work Mat... :)

So what exactly is it - pet project or course/thesis project or other ??

Pardon my ignorance if you've already mentioned it elsewhere... :)

InsaneAsylum
16th December 2008, 09:50 PM
really awesome stuff! well done

MatsHolden
16th December 2008, 09:53 PM
Awesome work Mat... :)

So what exactly is it - pet project or course/thesis project or other ??

Pardon my ignorance if you've already mentioned it elsewhere... :)

Thanks mate. It's an Honours project, entered in VACC's Target 2020 comp. So purely a concept car although am working on an actual car that will go into production, hopefully the first one will be built in time for next years Melbourne Motorshow.

Wraith
16th December 2008, 10:09 PM
Thanks mate. It's an Honours project, entered in VACC's Target 2020 comp. So purely a concept car although am working on an actual car that will go into production, hopefully the first one will be built in time for next years Melbourne Motorshow.

WOW that then is truly awesome - well done again :clap:

I wish you all the best with it and hope to see the real thing at next years motor show :)

Vectracious
16th December 2008, 11:08 PM
Great work Mat - seeing this progress from the first drawings to the final submission was pretty cool - hope it goes well.

USC
16th December 2008, 11:08 PM
Looks great mate! well done.

I reckon it might need mud guards if it goes into production:p..think of all the cars behind you with cracked windscreens and mud all over them...lol

Corsa_Rob
17th December 2008, 01:15 AM
Looks awesome Mat, great to see the finished product.

CNBLU
17th December 2008, 01:17 AM
Thats amazing Mat. Great work.

Have i seen those wheels before?

PaulyJ
17th December 2008, 02:02 AM
Its finally hatched!
All your hard work has paid off!
Please post up the pics of the cop version... ;)
I love it!

MatsHolden
17th December 2008, 10:35 AM
Thats amazing Mat. Great work.

Have i seen those wheels before?

Thanks mate. Yeah I did those wheels a while ago, they suited the car so decided to put them on!

MatsHolden
17th December 2008, 10:44 AM
Thanks to everyone for the comments.

Here's the RT20 Highway Patroller just for Pauly.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/MatsHolden/2a-1.jpg

JohnBu
17th December 2008, 12:08 PM
Awesome work Matt!!..

i've done something similar in the past..

it made the Homermobile look advance.

Greg K
17th December 2008, 12:16 PM
thats wicked!!! awesome work matey!

just needs some Opel badges on it! ;)

MatsHolden
17th December 2008, 02:19 PM
thats wicked!!! awesome work matey!

just needs some Opel badges on it! ;)

Can be arranged... haha

nuggz
17th December 2008, 02:28 PM
Your actually building one of those???? :eek:

MatsHolden
17th December 2008, 02:34 PM
Your actually building one of those???? :eek:

Not that one. But a different one.

xplosv57
17th December 2008, 06:46 PM
I reckon it might need mud guards if it goes into production:p..think of all the cars behind you with cracked windscreens and mud all over them...lol

Mat of all people should know about this (you still owe me a new windscreen lol)!!

Nah like i said when i first saw your pics, looks bloody good, hope the judges aren't retarded cos this should be right up there in the awards!!

MatsHolden
17th December 2008, 07:10 PM
Mat of all people should know about this (you still owe me a new windscreen lol)!!

Nah like i said when i first saw your pics, looks bloody good, hope the judges aren't retarded cos this should be right up there in the awards!!

haha i will never put mud flaps on my car. Thanks chief.

MatsHolden
14th January 2009, 08:43 AM
Just got word that my design will be displayed at the Melbourne International Motorshow next month! So if you're at the Motorshow this year, keep an eye out! :cool:

poita
14th January 2009, 09:40 AM
awesome news mate :)

sooty
14th January 2009, 09:58 AM
Congrats Mat, sounds like it's getting the accolades it deserves

cdxi
14th January 2009, 10:12 AM
Great work mate - real talent there!

Have you entered your work in Wheels mag Young Designer award?

On second thought, forget Wheels and start knocking on Mr Opel's door in Russelsheim!

MatsHolden
14th January 2009, 02:12 PM
Great work mate - real talent there!

Have you entered your work in Wheels mag Young Designer award?

On second thought, forget Wheels and start knocking on Mr Opel's door in Russelsheim!

I would have but it was finished before my design was finished. Thanks for the comment! Germany would be an interesting place to work that's for sure!

rusole21
14th January 2009, 03:09 PM
Thats cool mate! I like the electro magnetic springs. Be cool when ya park and turn it off. Down it goes onto some bump stops. Like airbags. Couldnt see it workin but it is cool!

Shay
14th January 2009, 09:57 PM
both pics look really sweet. I'd love to know what program you used for your graphic design. what course was your honours for?

MatsHolden
14th January 2009, 10:20 PM
Thats cool mate! I like the electro magnetic springs. Be cool when ya park and turn it off. Down it goes onto some bump stops. Like airbags. Couldnt see it workin but it is cool!

Thanks mate. I made a mock up of the suspension mechanism and it does work, only thing is the magnets may repel each other but attract small particles that contain iron. But it works.

MatsHolden
14th January 2009, 10:23 PM
both pics look really sweet. I'd love to know what program you used for your graphic design. what course was your honours for?

Cheers mate. For the graphic designs I used a combination of Illustrator and Photoshop. The course is Industrial Design, so I obviously enjoyed designing the car ALOT more than designing the graphic display boards!

glider
15th January 2009, 07:50 AM
Thanks mate. I made a mock up of the suspension mechanism and it does work, only thing is the magnets may repel each other but attract small particles that contain iron. But it works.

i was thinking of something like that ages ago as a similar idea to what is being done now with conventional shock absorbers (audi rs6 pumps more oil into the shocks as the car goes around the corner, to make it stay stable. problem with this one would assume there would be a slight delay - if this was electro magnets there would be no lag at all and many changes could be made per second) (just popped into my head) i discarded the idea because of the power requirements. How much power do you think the system would consume, and what would happen when the power is not avaliable or is cut off while driving?

chrissn89
15th January 2009, 11:10 AM
i was thinking of something like that ages ago as a similar idea to what is being done now with conventional shock absorbers (audi rs6 pumps more oil into the shocks as the car goes around the corner, to make it stay stable. problem with this one would assume there would be a slight delay - if this was electro magnets there would be no lag at all and many changes could be made per second) (just popped into my head) i discarded the idea because of the power requirements. How much power do you think the system would consume, and what would happen when the power is not avaliable or is cut off while driving?

GM and many other car companies already have electro magnetic suspension they call it "Magnetic ride control" or MRC for short.

"Like the E-series HSV GTS, the suspension is fitted with switchable Magnetic Ride Control (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MagnaRide) (MRC) offering Luxury or Performance modes. It does this by electrically adjusting the viscosity (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viscosity) of the ferrofluid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrofluid) inside the shock absorbers, producing different damping levels. Magnetic Ride Control also enhances braking by preventing forward weight transfer when the car is under heavy braking. The MRC system development took three years and cost HSV more than $4.5 million"

http://www.caradvice.com.au/9806/hsv-gts-with-magnetic-ride-control-suspension-mrc/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MagnaRide

MatsHolden
15th January 2009, 12:10 PM
GM and many other car companies already have electro magnetic suspension they call it "Magnetic ride control" or MRC for short.

"Like the E-series HSV GTS, the suspension is fitted with switchable Magnetic Ride Control (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MagnaRide) (MRC) offering Luxury or Performance modes. It does this by electrically adjusting the viscosity (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viscosity) of the ferrofluid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrofluid) inside the shock absorbers, producing different damping levels. Magnetic Ride Control also enhances braking by preventing forward weight transfer when the car is under heavy braking. The MRC system development took three years and cost HSV more than $4.5 million"

http://www.caradvice.com.au/9806/hsv-gts-with-magnetic-ride-control-suspension-mrc/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MagnaRide

Completely different system mate. MRC is all to do with the shock absorber. MRC still requires a helical spring. The setup I used replaces the helical spring with electromagnets. :)

MatsHolden
15th January 2009, 12:13 PM

It would consume a fair bit of power, however with the development of battery technology it wouldn't be a big issue. If the power was cut off it would be like a spring failing, so there'd have to be a fail safe system in place.

chrissn89
15th January 2009, 12:17 PM
Completely different system mate. MRC is all to do with the shock absorber. MRC still requires a helical spring. The setup I used replaces the helical spring with electromagnets. :)

Oh wow, sorry i didnt read the whole thread. That would be pretty cool replacing the springs with electromagnets. If you want ill delete my rubbish posts.

glider
15th January 2009, 02:46 PM
It would consume a fair bit of power, however with the development of battery technology it wouldn't be a big issue. If the power was cut off it would be like a spring failing, so there'd have to be a fail safe system in place.

another thing to take into consideration would be cooling of the system which controls the current going into the magnets. I'm sure you've thought of that tho ;). Your concept is good tho, i'm assuming the magnets would also act as the shock absorber by varying current once again?

MatsHolden
15th January 2009, 03:22 PM
i'm assuming the magnets would also act as the shock absorber by varying current once again?

It has to use a 'standard' shocker, as magnets alone cannot control the rebound and compression of a spring. The magnetic strength could be continously variable but that places more strain on the magnetic components.

Shay
15th January 2009, 07:12 PM
you mentioned iron particles.
wouldnt you just put a boot over the the shocks so they dont stick to the oil?
then once the car is turned off they would just drop off?

Sweet idea tho.
what capacity would your "twin turbo V6" be?

Keep'emRunning
16th January 2009, 03:11 PM
looks awesome.. great work on the design!

What cad software are you guys using? We're forced to use pro-e at work, but I use solidworks and rhino at home. My other hobby is designing/building composite molded r/c gliders and am drooling at the free flowing surfaces you've got going on that car.. Mmmmmm.

MatsHolden
16th January 2009, 04:40 PM
you mentioned iron particles.
wouldnt you just put a boot over the the shocks so they dont stick to the oil?
then once the car is turned off they would just drop off?

Sweet idea tho.
what capacity would your "twin turbo V6" be?

They do drop off when the system is turned off, so not a major issue. Capacity would be around the 2.6L to 3.0L mark.

MatsHolden
16th January 2009, 04:44 PM
looks awesome.. great work on the design!

What cad software are you guys using? We're forced to use pro-e at work, but I use solidworks and rhino at home. My other hobby is designing/building composite molded r/c gliders and am drooling at the free flowing surfaces you've got going on that car.. Mmmmmm.

Thanks mate. We use Solidworks and 3D Studio. Also use a bit of Rhino and Alias. The RT20 was completely modelled in Solidworks, which does some people's heads in as it's not a program that's thought of as a surfacing program! But it can be done as I've shown. Also the Koenigsegg was designed using Solidworks...

MatsHolden
26th February 2009, 02:02 PM
A few articles that have been written on it...

http://www.diseno-art.com/encyclopedia/concept_cars/RT20.html

http://www.conceptcarsmag.com/cars/future-track-burner-eco-friendly-hydrogen-burner-for-street-or-racing/

http://blogs.orange.co.uk/cars/2009/02/rt20-concept-car-is-ultimate-dream-machine.html

And in France! If only I could remember French from secondary school...

http://coolest-concepts.net/2009/02/11/rt20-un-concept-interesant/

guy 27
26th February 2009, 02:09 PM
congrats man. Really well done. You must be stoked with all that.

immenotu
26th February 2009, 03:03 PM
forget your bugatti veyrons and porsche carreras – this is the supercar we really want in our dream car garage.

You've gotta love comments like that, awesome work mate!

Big congrats on the recognition, who knows maybe one day we'll be driving around in one of your cars.

Shay
26th February 2009, 03:09 PM
You've gotta love comments like that, awesome work mate!

Big congrats on the recognition, who knows maybe one day we'll be driving around in one of your cars.

for a discounted price :p

but seriously good to not just have local or national but INTERNATIONAL reviews and good ones at that!! Hopefully you get enough interest that some investers get on board and your design can come alive!

mania
26th February 2009, 03:35 PM
Really looks great, futuristic :).

The suspension sounds similar to the bose (http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_STATIC_PAGE_EVENT&url=/learning/project_sound/suspension_components.jsp) setup - my question is can it be modified to generate power whilst damping?

btm
26th February 2009, 04:40 PM
holy crap! :yikes:

just read this thread... awesome bloody work mat!

MatsHolden
26th February 2009, 04:57 PM
Really looks great, futuristic :).

The suspension sounds similar to the bose (http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_STATIC_PAGE_EVENT&url=/learning/project_sound/suspension_components.jsp) setup - my question is can it be modified to generate power whilst damping?

Could be possible. Anything's possible. ;) I'd have to look into it though.

By the way, thanks guys. Looking forward to seeing it on display at the Motorshow!

xplosv57
26th February 2009, 06:22 PM
By the way, thanks guys. Looking forward to seeing it on display at the Motorshow!

Thought you said they binned the motorshow stuff??

Anyways good to get your name out there, will generate lots of interest for you come job hunting time!!

MatsHolden
26th February 2009, 06:46 PM
Thought you said they binned the motorshow stuff??

hmm? nah, was talking about how they are doing Melbourne this year and then Sydney next year.

Neeko
26th February 2009, 08:30 PM
thanks incredible mat. well done eh. must feel great to see your work published in magazines and what not. when you say it'll be at the motorshow do you mean a full life size build?

MatsHolden
26th February 2009, 08:46 PM
thanks incredible mat. well done eh. must feel great to see your work published in magazines and what not. when you say it'll be at the motorshow do you mean a full life size build?

Thanks mate... I wish! :D It's just the design boards that will be on display.

Neeko
26th February 2009, 08:49 PM
Thanks mate... I wish! :D It's just the design boards that will be on display.

ahh ok...:) was gonna say if thats there i'll have to purchase some plane tickets for melbourne :D

poita
26th February 2009, 11:00 PM
that is ****ing fantastic mate, better than a veyron niiiice

so is there a opelaus group buy discount for it?

Neeko
26th February 2009, 11:15 PM
that is ****ing fantastic mate, better than a veyron niiiice

does that mean we have to share the RT20?

poita
26th February 2009, 11:26 PM
group buy discount, we get one each :)

MatsHolden
27th February 2009, 09:44 AM

haha See what I can arrange... ;)

MatsHolden
20th May 2009, 06:16 PM
Bit of an old thread but oh well... It's worth the post.

Featured in a Jap auto magazine...

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/MatsHolden/rt20mag2.jpg

Shay
20th May 2009, 06:45 PM
well done mate, the more exposure the better...
might actually happen then.

poita
20th May 2009, 06:53 PM
oh nice work!

translation :p

Neeko
20th May 2009, 07:11 PM
thats awesome matt well done. making it all around the world :)

ASTRAY
20th May 2009, 07:20 PM
you are obviously very talented matt.
i wish you the very best of luck in the hope of getting it into production.

MatsHolden
20th May 2009, 07:22 PM
translation :p

"It's awesome".

haha nah got a rough translation and just goes on about the features and something about "best cars in world".

Sucked in to KTM! They only got a small image! :p

I'm just waiting for the magazine now to contact me again and ask if they can ship the car over to drive... oh shit... haha

poita
20th May 2009, 07:32 PM
hahaha
very impressed mate!!

might get toyota to buy it of you, then royalties for life!!!

Vectracious
20th May 2009, 07:53 PM
actually Mat - are they paying you for any of this?

MatsHolden
20th May 2009, 07:56 PM
actually Mat - are they paying you for any of this?

Nah. Exposure. I look at it as getting my name out there and something good to put in the folio/CV. They're really doing me a favour.

Vectracious
20th May 2009, 07:57 PM
Nah. Exposure. I look at it as getting my name out there and something good to put in the folio/CV. They're really doing me a favour.

yeah fair enough - I just thought, this is the 3rd mag to feature your design?

MatsHolden
20th May 2009, 08:03 PM
yeah fair enough - I just thought, this is the 3rd mag to feature your design?

Been countless online publications. That was the first print mag.

ASTRAY
20th May 2009, 08:39 PM
contact the mag, and get them to publish that you are wanting to get this project running... just a suggestion mate.

xplosv57
20th May 2009, 09:21 PM
Sick of seeing pictures, when can i see the real thing Mat?

I want a V8 one though!!

btm
21st May 2009, 09:54 AM
bloody awesome exposure mate, congrats!

Wraith
21st May 2009, 10:54 AM
Yeah, well done again Matt - looking sensational on that Japanese mag :)

Shay
21st May 2009, 11:01 AM
Matt, do you reckon you could send me a 1440 x 900 version so i can have it as my background...

without text and all that.
i love the front of that thing soooo much.

MatsHolden
21st May 2009, 05:39 PM
Sick of seeing pictures, when can i see the real thing Mat?

I want a V8 one though!!

I'll drive it around tomorrow night. With LS7. :p

MatsHolden
4th September 2009, 05:22 PM
Old thread I know, but it's featured in the latest issue of M2 Magazine Australia.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/MatsHolden/M2Mag1.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/MatsHolden/M2Mag2.jpg

xplosv57
4th September 2009, 05:23 PM
hes hot...........

nah congrats mate, pretty good stuff to get published in a nationwide magazine!!

ChrisMaz
4th September 2009, 05:43 PM
Congratulations mate! That looks excellent.

Thats a lot of hardwork. Good looking design. :clap: