PDA

View Full Version : Black Euro plates

BEK-46P
15th December 2008, 01:50 PM
Got these on order and just found out they have no holes for the screws?!?! RTA are telling me I need to drill the holes myself.

gman
15th December 2008, 01:51 PM
sounds about right...these days cars have so many different mounting variations....Its just cheaper for the RTA to let the user do it themselves...

BEK-46P
15th December 2008, 01:57 PM
Okay, after some quick research, I found out they don't need to be screwed in, as double-sided tape can also do the trick. But, I am concerned this may increase the theft factor.

gman, what other mounting options are there?

Snotty
15th December 2008, 02:33 PM
just drill the holes, you would of needed to anyway unless you have those plastic adaptor thingies that dealers put on for euro cars.

take a marker with you and mark out the holes of your old plates onto the new plates while at the rta. you can take a cordless drill with you and do it inthe car park or the rta can give you a permit to drive home without plates on the car.

gman
15th December 2008, 05:00 PM
I agree, double sided tape is not a good solution. Also, if you get the 3M VHA tape, you'll never get it off Best option is to make a "template" of the standard Astra mounting spaces for the screws.

Then mark the centre of the plate end to end. Line up the centre of the plate and the template.

Also take into consideration the height of the plate and where it needs to sit on the car. Use the right sized drill and make the holes.

Also, i would only use stainless steel bolts or screws to fasten. Last thing you want is rust marks...If its in the black, then get a small plastic screw head cover, or colour in with a permanent black pen...

Easy... ;)

MK
15th December 2008, 07:03 PM
i have these brackets from Poland;

http://www.allegro.pl/item498315972_ramka_ramki_chrom_pod_tablice_rejest racyjne_new.html

this one has more photos to compare;

http://www.allegro.pl/item498869005_metalizowana_ramka_pod_tablice_chrom _utal.html

Wraith
16th December 2008, 11:11 AM
Recently checked out Euro plates myself and must say I'm not a fan...

They are waaaay too long and don't look good at all IMHO :( even though Euro cars have the fitting slot to suit, they still look way too big to me...

Personalised or custom slim line plates with the same amount of characters and/or number combinations are smaller and neater looking IMHO and cost less...you also have much greater colour choices, only white and black for Euro plates, but each to their own :)

Nurb608
16th December 2008, 05:17 PM
I got the Irmscher ones for my vec. no need to drill any holes. Irmscherbitz and LMF Vaux sell them.

tomtom
17th December 2008, 07:03 PM
I'm gonna change to Euro plates next year. Shouldve gone with them from the start.

RE: plate drilling

It's easy. I had to do it for mine cause none of them fit. If I can do it, anyone can :p

Easy peasy. gl