PDA

View Full Version : the urge to mod....

Mainframe_Module
11th December 2008, 12:50 PM
hey all, been a long while since ive posted but i have been lurking in the shadows :P

yesterday i got my full license (3 years later thanks to new shitty laws :P) so im finally freeeee.

anyway, ive been contemplating some minor mods to my astra cdx coupe and i think i want to get it lowered.

but since i have NOOOO farken clue about modifying a car in anyway, i thought i'd ask for help and recommendations first.

basically i just want it to look sleeker and sportier and sit closer to the ground as at the moment it seems to look almost as if the back wheels are up higher than the front ones at any tyre pressure...only slightly but it kind of annoys me.
i dont know how much to get it lowered, where to get this done, how much it will cost or if its safe or could potentially damage the car or impact the ride comfort..

aaand the only other thing im considoring would be exhaust, i actually really like the sound of my car, it was gruntier than i thought it would be for a little 1.8L, i didnt notice the same sound when i test drove the old motor but when i took delivery of my car with the XER engine i noticed it sounded alot cooler..anyway i basically just want to maybe amplify the sound it already has, not too much...i dont want a LOUD car by any means, just a little bit gruntier and id like to be able to actually see my exhaust pipe :P instead of it being curved under the back bumper.
any ideas?

i tried looking around but everyone here seems to know alot more than me about this so it was all kind of over my head :\

thanks!:angel:

lithium
11th December 2008, 02:40 PM
first of all congrats on your full license - i managed to squeeze in just before the 3 year Ps came into effect so i was only subject to one year of rudeness and tailgating by full licensers :p

i didn't need to lower my car so i can only say something general - namely, lowering (along with the corresponding stiffer springs) will improve your handling and noticeably reduce your ride quality. no it won't damage your car except perhaps making it easier to scrape on driveways/speed bumps

with exhaust, if you are after sound and looks and not too loud i suggest getting the backbox replaced by one from a reputable brand. a good exhaust shop will be able to recommend a good one for your car - if you are willing to spend the money you can't go past a Remus, they are direct fit so you can do it yourself

if you want a louder exhaust and a very mild performance improvement, look at getting a cat-back with piping diameter around 2inch/2.25inch. you can choose between stainless steel or mild steel, stainless will outlive the lifetime of your car and mild steel should last 5 years+ in Oz unless your car gets wet regularly or is only used for short trips!

Mainframe_Module
12th December 2008, 10:18 AM
ahh cool.

id like to get it lowered but i dunno how much to....i dont want it to be too low, just a little lower than it is now.

do you have any idea how much lowering and exhaust would cost? like are we talking thousands?
i know you cant give an exact amount but do you have an aprox idea of what i can expect to pay?

or know of any good places in sydney??

cheers :D

moose_factor
12th December 2008, 10:40 AM
ahh cool.

id like to get it lowered but i dunno how much to....i dont want it to be too low, just a little lower than it is now.

do you have any idea how much lowering and exhaust would cost? like are we talking thousands?
i know you cant give an exact amount but do you have an aprox idea of what i can expect to pay?

or know of any good places in sydney??

cheers

Where bouts in Sydney are you?...

With lowering the car go with Eibach's you can't go wrong! A Pro-Kit should Suffice your needs if you don't want it very low...http://www.eibach.ashop.com.au/ will be cheap but I never see any for the H's...best bet is to ask Dave from Irmsher-bitz.com he should have some in stock and is great to deal with...

Installing them from a shop should cost anywhere from $100-$150 I think (that's how much mine was with allignment)

With the exhaust...my 2.25" Cat-Back exhaust with twin tips in Mild Steel cost $310 (If i remember correctly) fully installed at Castle Hill Exhaust. It could go down a bit in price depending on the tip you choose...

lithium
12th December 2008, 10:52 AM
another recommendation for an exhaust shop: best mufflers in Carlton (http://www.bestmufflers.com.au/). Chris is an easy guy to work with and really knows his stuff when it comes to performance exhausts. he gave me a recommendation and did some custom work on my car, and i was happy with the result. i think BTMs astra is on their website somewhere in the customer cars section :p

exhaust prices as moose factor said. or if you want to splash out and get really top of the line, brand name stuff you're looking at something like $500 for a Remus backbox or about $900 for their cat-back....

Wraith
12th December 2008, 10:53 AM
Agree for the lowering part with moose_factor^^^^

Get a set of Eibachs, it'll make it look the goods and either retain or increase ride comfort as they are a high quality true progressive rate spring !!!

If your budget allows, match them up with a good set of lowered height shocks (dampers) and it'll be the perfect set up for looks, handling and ride comfort...

Stay away from cheap nasty lowering springs, as these will give you a bumpy ride, shoddy handling and will sag over time...

Mainframe_Module
12th December 2008, 12:47 PM
thanks heaps guys :D

i'm in beverley park which is near the sizzlers at carlton, but used to live in rockdale...so yeah, a st george area boy.

ill have a look at the best mufflers site as its in my area.

yeah im not the type to settle for crap just cause its cheap, id rather get something that will last longer and be higher quality.

id love to somehow get a twin exhaust...i saw a astra hatch a while back with one on each side and it looked really cool but yeah...i think id settle for just a kind of oval tip like the tigra had, i quite liked that...or maybe something square/rectangleish