PDA

View Full Version : Corsa VXR to come to Aus?

PrincessPeachey
10th December 2008, 11:40 PM
"HSV is also looking further afield than just its Commodore clan in order to appeal to a wider audience. While Holden has yet to commit to the mainstream versions of the European Insignia mid-sizer and the Corsa baby hatch, HSV is working with its German equivalent, Opel Performance Centre, to develop viable business cases that allow the introduction of the OPC/VXR models. "

'Motor' Magazine, January 2009, pages 10-11.

Complete with a little picture of the Corsa VXR with the other Opel vehicles, the Astra VXR, the E-Series range, and the Insignia VXR.

PaulyJ
10th December 2008, 11:44 PM
"HSV is also looking further afield than just its Commodore clan in order to appeal to a wider audience. While Holden has yet to commit to the mainstream versions of the European Insignia mid-sizer and the Corsa baby hatch, HSV is working with its German equivalent, Opel Performance Centre, to develop viable business cases that allow the introduction of the OPC/VXR models. "

'Motor' Magazine, January 2009, pages 10-11.

Complete with a little picture of the Corsa VXR with the other Opel vehicles, the Astra VXR, the E-Series range, and the Insignia VXR.
Wont happen
They've had heaps of talks on it before, but everything has broken down to date.

If it does come down, rest assured I'll have one of the first here.

ASTRAY
10th December 2008, 11:49 PM
Wont happen
They've had heaps of talks on it before, but everything has broken down to date.

hopefully then they will get rid of the daewoos and bring back the opels, to help tie the models in together....
yes we can only dream...

poita
10th December 2008, 11:52 PM
it will probably happen when the new calibra comes out

tuzinski
11th December 2008, 12:02 AM
it will probably happen when the new calibra comes out
its already out according to wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opel_Calibra

Successor Opel Astra Coupe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opel_Astra)

Vectracious
11th December 2008, 12:10 AM
yep... that definately flew straight over. :rolleyes:

Back on topic

how good would and Insignia VXR be - especially with the AWD they keep talking about.

poita
11th December 2008, 12:13 AM
yes would be awesome if these babies came down under.

i'm still am hanging out for an insignia to reach our shores.
would be a worthy successor to the mazda

glider
11th December 2008, 01:24 AM
Wont happen

likewise, that pocket rocket is far too tempting to pass up

and it looks sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Shaun
11th December 2008, 10:13 AM
In the Current Ecconomic Climate its possible. HSV sales will decline on current trends. HSV now have to diversify there business other wise they will struggle to stay alive.

The Astra VXR is on its end of its life span. The New Astra is due in 2009 in Europe Meaning The Current AH VXR will be out of production either by the end of this year or early 2009.

The Corsa VXR will be priced at current VXR drive away prices from dealers if it was to imported to the Australian Market based on UK and Europe Retail pricing.

The Insignia could be a product HSV could sell too. R36 Passat rival here for sure and would be cheaper too.

Shaun

Wraith
11th December 2008, 10:48 AM
its already out according to wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opel_Calibra

Successor Opel Astra Coupe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opel_Astra)

That's the old Calibra...

There have been new proposals though :)

lithium
11th December 2008, 11:15 AM
i hope it comes too but i can't see it
i think the Astra VXR was already a risk for HSV in tarnishing the real-men-drive-8-cylinders image. selling a bubble car like the Corsa VXR might alienate some of their main customer base?

mind you if it came over i'd consider it - but probably wouldn't buy it, the performance is outdone by an MPS, WRX, GTI, XR5 turbo...basically everything in its price range. not to mention those cars are bigger and some have 4 doors!

MatsHolden
11th December 2008, 11:34 AM
That's the old Calibra...

There have been new proposals though :)

He was pointing out where it's stated that the successor to the Calibra was the Astra Coupe.

MatsHolden
11th December 2008, 11:37 AM
i
the performance is outdone by an MPS, WRX, GTI, XR5 turbo...basically everything in its price range. not to mention those cars are bigger and some have 4 doors!

You just listed a whole lot of cars not in the class of the Corsa...
You need to compare it to things like the Fiesta XR4, Polo GTi and the like.

lithium
11th December 2008, 11:55 AM
You just listed a whole lot of cars not in the class of the Corsa...
You need to compare it to things like the Fiesta XR4, Polo GTi and the like.

yes indeed, however i was talking price
going by UK RRPs if its the same as the Astra VXR, a Corsa VXR will sell here about $36000...much more expensive that the class competitors you mention and at the bottom of the next class up

hence what HSV has always said, the business case doesn't make sense, when you can something like a colt ralliart for $25000

Calibrated
11th December 2008, 11:58 AM
yes indeed, however i was talking price
going by UK RRPs if its the same as the Astra VXR, a Corsa VXR will sell here about $36000...much more expensive that the class competitors you mention and at the bottom of the next class up

hence what HSV has always said, the business case doesn't make sense, when you can something like a colt ralliart for $25000
i would love a corsa VXR, but i wouldnt be seen dead in a ralliart colt.

lithium
11th December 2008, 12:03 PM
but would you pay $36k for the privilege??
agree the colt is an ugly car, looks like an angry rabbit :eek:

MatsHolden
11th December 2008, 12:15 PM
but would you pay $36k for the privilege??
agree the colt is an ugly car, looks like an angry rabbit :eek:

I'd justify it being around the SRi-T pricing.

glider
11th December 2008, 12:16 PM
in hindsight after watching the 5th gear reviews, i return to wanting a 500 abarth instead, tho would probably go for an awd of similar pricing