PDA

View Full Version : Phantom Grip Vs Quaife LSD

CNBLU
5th December 2008, 02:05 PM
Im stuck with a dilema and need some advice.

Although this topic has been covered before (i think) i wanted to know your views on the matter.

Let me know which you would prefer and why?

Calibrated
5th December 2008, 02:11 PM
cant really comment on the phantom.

but experience with the quaife on the turbo cali... its awesome.

thats my very technical write up. lol

poita
5th December 2008, 02:17 PM
i have no personal experience with either, sorry Gav.
but from what i've been looking at, and what ppl have said the Quaife is the way to go.
a lot of opels i have seen read about have the quaife, i know of a couple of calibras in auz with them ;)
its the path i will be looking down for mine :)

nuggz
5th December 2008, 02:27 PM
Phantom sounds way cooler :D
(sorry for the spam)

gman
5th December 2008, 03:21 PM
See post in other thread, but I have the PG and choose it over the Quaife, and not due to cost (that wasn't an issue).

I prefer the way it feels when driving the way it locks up under load and it also (subjective analysis) feels more stable in the way it transfers torque between the wheels.

There has been some bad reports about the PG regarding it "chewing" up the spider gears and/or the input shafts. This IMHO is more down to bad installation then the product itself.

Mines been in for 2 years and 40,000km's. Still working and as I said in the other thread I have dropped half the gearbox oil to check for filings, fragments or signs of increased wear. So far, nothing to report.

If you can afford the Quaife and aren't as particular as me with the feeling of the way they lock up get it, its a fantastic product and it works. Personally I prefer the PG and the way it operates.

Both take about the same amount of time to fit and are a gearbox out proposition. The reduced cost of the PG is just a nice side point, not the main selling point.

Either way, if you get either of them, you'll be VERY HAPPY :D

aza28
5th December 2008, 05:44 PM
i'm not biased or anything but Quaife !!!!! :D

PG is value for money though

gman
5th December 2008, 05:49 PM
i'm not biased or anything but Quaife !!!!! :D

PG is value for money though

:D really...I never would have even though such a thing.. ;)

auzvectra
5th December 2008, 05:59 PM
i didnt even read gmans post here, but i read the other 1, i'm sure it will level pg for the win :D.
haha, holden vs ford, personal opinion ;).
i am comparing how i have been told the quaife acts on the road, to all the fun i have had with the PG installed ;).

as i have said many time, i can WOT on corners no hassles, no spin :). and thats with a 700hp turbo :p.

CNBLU
6th December 2008, 12:57 AM
Interesting comments guys, but my main concerns are:

1. Not too keen on getting a new gearbox in around 10,000kms or when the gearbox gets full of shards of metal from the side casings...

2. Will i still get wheelspin in 1st gear with the quaife?

3. Whats the differences between the quiafe and pg?

gman
6th December 2008, 01:24 AM
Interesting comments guys, but my main concerns are:

1. Not too keen on getting a new gearbox in around 10,000kms or when the gearbox gets full of shards of metal from the side casings...

2. Will i still get wheelspin in 1st gear with the quaife?

3. Whats the differences between the quiafe and pg?

1. get it installed properly and it shouldn't. Mine hasn't after 40,000kms.

2. yes. you will always will. It's simply a case of power vs traction. No LSD can change that.

3. Quaife is a full diff replacement with a different centre helical gearing arrangement. The PG is an insert that fits between the input shafts to limit slip. They are very different in the way they operate and therefore the way limit slip and feel when you drive a car with them.

nigelh
7th December 2008, 01:43 AM
I know that Kaaz are starting to make 1.5 way lsd centre for some opel gearboxes but don't know if you can get one for the f23 box but looking into it.

gman
7th December 2008, 02:18 AM
Kaaz are like Cusco and use the plate style LSD's...I had 3 Cusco Tarmac Spec Diff's (front, centre & rear) in my old STi...Plate type LSD's are good but they have their prob's too mainly surrounding wear and adjustment.

jim7777777
7th December 2008, 03:09 PM
I've got a Quaife in my clubman and it's a fantastic bit of kit. I've never driven a car with a PG so can't comment on them.

I'm thinking about putting an LSD in the Astra and the Quaife is the only one I would fit...