PDA

View Full Version : Gruntier noise.

BEK-46P
29th November 2008, 03:29 PM
Hey guys, I'm sorta bored with the stock sound of my 2.2 SRi. I'm looking to add a bit of grunt to the noise. I'm a hopeless novice when it comes to internal tuning so I need your help with this. Without going overboard, what are some decent methods of achieving this?

Jerram
29th November 2008, 04:23 PM
a pod filter will give you more noise.....but it's up to your own opinion as to whether you count that as grunt. Good exhaust setups help as well. You'll need a decent resonator.

The best sound I've heard from an original engine opel is from a 3.0 V6 Vectra B running with a good exhaust and ramair pod filter.

USC
29th November 2008, 05:16 PM
you need a Hair dryer:p

SKM_87
29th November 2008, 06:20 PM
cat back exhaust

CNBLU
30th November 2008, 12:31 AM
I had a pod filter and a cat back exhaust on my old 2.2 and it had a nice grunt once it hit 3500rpm... That would be my tip

BEK-46P
30th November 2008, 09:40 AM
I had a pod filter and a cat back exhaust on my old 2.2 and it had a nice grunt once it hit 3500rpm... That would be my tip

How much did those mods cost you?

I did some research on the pod filters. Repco told me that they don't make specific pod filters for the 2.2 unless you fitted an adapter to the intake (I have no idea what that means). Could you tell me exactly what's involved with that and who can do it?

As for the exhaust, is it worth changing just the back or replacing the whole system?

CNBLU
30th November 2008, 10:12 AM
Pod filter was a 3A racing item cost me $40. I also bought an adaptor for around $15 and took of the original air box and put on the pod.

Pretty easy

Cat back will give you a nice note. Extractors and a high flow cat will free up some horses but not much...

rjastra
30th November 2008, 08:05 PM
Aren't exposed pod filters illegal? not only they they reduce performance as they allow the ingestion of hot underbonnet air.

Go for a catback exhaust.

Huhness
30th November 2008, 09:16 PM
I added a pod filter to my 2.2 when I had it and made the engine noise so much better!! of course an zorst would make a difference.

Jerram
1st December 2008, 03:35 AM
Aren't exposed pod filters illegal? not only they they reduce performance as they allow the ingestion of hot underbonnet air.

Go for a catback exhaust.

The general consensus is that they're not illegal provided that they're secured to the chassis. One of our fellow qld members got defected recently, not for having a pod, but because it wasn't secured down.

Also if you set yourself up with a nice cold air feed and a heat shield a pod will give you some gains as it breathes very easily.