PDA

View Full Version : Drive - Car of the year (DCOTY)

Wraith
28th November 2008, 12:55 PM
4 finalists...

BMW 135i
Audi TTS
Porsche 911 with PDK
BMW M3

And the winner for them was the 135i :)

Basically they said all these cars are great, that the Porker was by far the best, but its price tag was the concern, on the other end the 135i being the cheapest helped alot...

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=59136&pg=1&vf=0

Red AH SRI T
28th November 2008, 01:08 PM
That's only for the sports car section of the award.

The overall award went to The new Accord Seppo

Calibrated
28th November 2008, 01:16 PM
so i was pretty much spot on :D those were my 2 choices :D

Wraith
28th November 2008, 01:38 PM
That's only for the sports car section of the award

That's all most of us here are interested in :D

Wraith
28th November 2008, 01:42 PM
so i was pretty much spot on :D those were my 2 choices :D

I think your talking about Poita' Cars Guide car of the year thread - should be a similar result though IMHO, the 135i represents excellent value for money in the prestige market...

Lucky they're not being compared to HSV's or FPV's with their very low pricing ATM, they are without doubt the best value for money going :)

Calibrated
28th November 2008, 01:57 PM
I think your talking about Poita' Cars Guide car of the year thread - should be a similar result though IMHO, the 135i represents excellent value for money in the prestige market...

Lucky they're not being compared to HSV's or FPV's with their very low pricing ATM, they are without doubt the best value for money going :)
somehow i dont think so. resale as always will be shit on them.

poita
28th November 2008, 10:48 PM
cant believe the falcon won cars guide car of the year.
so many better cars imo.

ot: go the 135i

Wraith
1st December 2008, 01:08 PM
somehow i dont think so. resale as always will be shit on them.

Those comparos are not about resale, although they do sometimes mention that point, it's about which is best to buy and best value, best o/a etc. brand new...

As for resale, ATM as always all brands/types suffer big time, including the better prestige marks !

You'll loose around 20% on a typical BMW, Audi, Merc. etc. as soon as you drive off the showroom floor !

Check the red book valiuations, an M5 has a drop off of around 30% after the 1st 12 months...

At least in the current climate, your able to buy Fords or Holdens at up to 30% off what they normaly were, you'd be pretty damn happy and not as worried about depreciation on those vehicles ;)

Wraith
1st December 2008, 01:14 PM
cant believe the falcon won cars guide car of the year.
so many better cars imo.

ot: go the 135i

The 135i will always score well in the prestige category Poita - no doubts about that one, because of its price point - but compared to other 'lesser brands' ie: FPV or HSV it'll get left behind, because despite how good it is, it isn't 2 or 3 times better which is the price point difference...

Given the choice though and if the budget allowed I'm sure most people would opt for one of those anyday, but most people can't afford that price range - not a brand new buy anyway...it's a shame the prestige marks arn't as affected (not ATM anyway) as much as GM or Ford with the current economic climate, would be fantastic to be able to get a 135i at 30% reduced cost :)