PDA

View Full Version : Commodore V8 laps 8:30 at nurburgring

digifish
26th November 2008, 09:58 PM
As seen on autoblog...

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/25/pontiac-g8-gxp-rumored-to-lap-nurburgring-in-8-30/

digifish

Wraith
26th November 2008, 10:23 PM
Hmmmm, not really that impressive a time, wonder if our HSV's are any better...

Black Nugget
27th November 2008, 09:05 AM
Hmmmm, not really that impressive a time, wonder if our HSV's are any better...

I beg to differ wraith, only 2 sec off an e39 m5 is pretty good. E39 having far more advanced engine, suspension tune, shorter wheelbase and the commodore having more humble roots and probably a relatively softer US suspension tune.

To be close to m5 is pretty good for a sub 50k car or 30k second hand

Calibrated
27th November 2008, 09:06 AM
lol. just coz you have big power, doesnt mean it can handle. hehe. its not THAT much quicker than the vxr not bad for a little 4 potter up against a v8 shit-house

its also slower than the megane F1 - R thingy. win for the fwd 4cyl turbo's lol.

Calibrated
27th November 2008, 09:18 AM
I beg to differ wraith, only 2 sec off an e39 m5 is pretty good. E39 having far more advanced engine, suspension tune, shorter wheelbase and the commodore having more humble roots and probably a relatively softer US suspension tune.

keeping in mind the E39 is 10 years old......

Black Nugget
27th November 2008, 09:22 AM
but the m5 is a specialty 200k built jobbie that is still more advanced than the commodore and most other v8 RWDs available for under a 100k

Vectracious
27th November 2008, 09:32 AM
hehehehe - love the vic plates on it too :D

i agree with black nugget - the fact that a taxi can go around the ring 2 seconds slower than an E39 is pretty impressive.

Then again a 99 E39 is about the same price as a SS (going on redbooks figures)

Calibrated
27th November 2008, 09:37 AM
hehehehe - love the vic plates on it too :D

i agree with black nugget - the fact that a taxi can go around the ring 2 seconds slower than an E39 is pretty impressive.

Then again a 99 E39 is about the same price as a SS (going on redbooks figures)
i sure know which one i would take.

Vectracious
27th November 2008, 09:45 AM
i sure know which one i would take.

yeah me too - always loved the M5 - especially the E39 :D

Calibrated
27th November 2008, 09:49 AM
yeah me too - always loved the M5 - especially the E39 :D
i was gonna say the SS....

LOL. M5 Baby!

rjastra
27th November 2008, 10:16 AM
The run was supposedly set by one of the GXP's development engineers – not a professional driver – but as always, we're wary of any development mule setting "unofficial" lap times,

Apex
27th November 2008, 10:46 AM

Agreed, that’s not a bad time! The VE has quite a bit in common with the E39 as that’s what Holden copied.

I wonder what the E60 M5 does it in.

lol.
its also slower than the megane F1 - R thingy. win for the fwd 4cyl turbo's lol.

That thing is pretty much a race car though, striped interior, cage, semi slicks, rock hard suspension! Do the same to a lot of “performance” cars and you’d see some impressive times.

Black Nugget
27th November 2008, 11:54 AM
I would DIE for an e39 m5 - just look at my profile pic - and there are a few going around now for sub 50k but the running costs are just too high:(

Calibrated
27th November 2008, 11:55 AM
I would DIE for an e39 m5 - just look at my profile pic - and there are a few going around now for sub 50k but the running costs are just too high:(
there was one about 6 months ago for 39k. deceased estate. if i wasnt unemplyed at that moment..... oh well. still one of my dream cars.

Black Nugget
27th November 2008, 11:58 AM
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=q1dYv_gKTA8

here you go something to ease the pain....

JohnBu
27th November 2008, 12:32 PM

that one reason stopping me buying a Porsche boxster or e46 M3.

it may be say $75k to purchase, but the servicing cost are still based on a $150k car.

poita
27th November 2008, 12:43 PM
that video is awesome!! love it

Vectracious
27th November 2008, 11:00 PM
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=q1dYv_gKTA8

here you go something to ease the pain....

:) ah - the BMW films - how good were they! :D Loved the Guy Ritchie/Madonna one, but I preferred the Ang Lee one they did for the 5 series - even though it was only a 540i (I think)

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=AaV0c5kvYbc

Orion_996
27th November 2008, 11:07 PM
yeah, those bmw films are awesome, managed to get a copy off bmw when they were giving them away free a few years back... still watch it pretty often

also made me respect clive owen much more as well

Ice
28th November 2008, 08:19 AM

Yeh it was probably raining, could have been a different driver....who knows... YEP definately raining ;)

Ice
28th November 2008, 08:24 AM
keeping in mind the E39 is 10 years old......

oh yes and that 2 ! its about how far Holden are behind...

Ice
28th November 2008, 08:25 AM
even though it was only a 540i (I think)

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=AaV0c5kvYbc

:eek: only ? haha they f**ken boogie !

xplosv57
28th November 2008, 09:07 AM
Not sure where the article got it's info from, but i don't see how the VE is based on the E39, actually the VE is very closely based on the current E60 5 series, get both up on a hoist next to each other and the basic suspension layout is almost identical!!

As for which one to buy, for me i'd have to make the choice if i'm gonna drive it everyday (VE V8) or if i'm gonna lock it up and use it very rarely but watch in a few years time when the value goes up (E39 M5).

rjastra
28th November 2008, 10:37 AM
Not sure where the article got it's info from, but i don't see how the VE is based on the E39, actually the VE is very closely based on the current E60 5 series, get both up on a hoist next to each other and the basic suspension layout is almost identical!!

As for which one to buy, for me i'd have to make the choice if i'm gonna drive it everyday (VE V8) or if i'm gonna lock it up and use it very rarely but watch in a few years time when the value goes up (E39 M5).

It was "benchmarked" against the e39 BMW not BASED on the car :)

Will e39 M5s go up in value? The market has profoundly change recently in Australia. The old days of high resale values have gone I'm afraid.

xplosv57
28th November 2008, 10:44 AM
It was "benchmarked" against the e39 BMW not BASED on the car :)

Will e39 M5s go up in value? The market has profoundly change recently in Australia. The old days of high resale values have gone I'm afraid.

Oh, i read it all wrong lol, my bad!!

As for M5's, they probably won't go up in value as such, but they haven't depreciated much in the last 2 or so years, still round the 50-60k mark, E34 M5's still are round the 30k mark so i guess they are a good performance car that (apart from maintenance costs) won't see you lose too much money long term!

Wish i could say the same about Commodore resale value :(

Wraith
28th November 2008, 10:49 AM
Oh, i read it all wrong lol, my bad!!

As for M5's, they probably won't go up in value as such, but they haven't depreciated much in the last 2 or so years, still round the 50-60k mark, E34 M5's still are round the 30k mark so i guess they are a good performance car that (apart from maintenance costs) won't see you lose too much money long term!

Wish i could say the same about Commodore resale value :(

Brand new GMH Commodore and HSV pricing ATM because of the economic climate ain't doing any favours to S/H ones either Steve !!!

You can buy a HSV or SS for around 30% off ATM :eek:

A VE GTS can be had for only around 61k on road, an R8 will cost you around the same amount as an SS was priced at not long ago and an SS is around 37k :eek: unbelievable...

Good time for you to update Steve, get yourself a GTS :D

lithium
28th November 2008, 11:12 AM
that one reason stopping me buying a Porsche boxster or e46 M3.

it may be say $75k to purchase, but the servicing cost are still based on a $150k car.

yes that's what i've always thought. my friend got quoted for an oil change for his boxster recently at porsche - $1000 :eek:
good thing he knows nothing about cars so he doesn't know how easy it is to change the oil....i wouldn't mind getting paid $500 to undo a drain plug and $500 to unscrew a filter :angel:

Vectracious
28th November 2008, 11:38 PM
:eek: only ? haha they f**ken boogie !

LOL - i should have said "only" with a :p

I've driven an auto 540i - pretty awesome car.

Ice
28th November 2008, 11:50 PM
LOL - i should have said "only" with a :p

I've driven an auto 540i - pretty awesome car.

My old man had a 540 (1997 Model) !!!!!! WOWSERS !!!!!! ROCKET!!!!