PDA

View Full Version : So which Opel is the best?

jch75
5th August 2004, 04:23 PM
So which Opel is the best?

I own a 3.2 ZC Vectra - i think it rocks. i have heard good reports on it too, some say the interior is a little boring though.

I have test driven a barina or corsa in opelaus speak - hmmmm dare say yuk! I have big feet and man, I had trouble with the pedals.

A friend of mine - he has the 2.2 Astra SRi. I haven't drive it, seems to fang ok but seems liked it needed to be pushed hard.

The Astra Turbo - i have heard good reports too. Never driven or been in one.

On my flight home from Cairns, I read the current Wheels and Motor mags. Motor say the ZC Vectra 3.2 goes from 0-100 in 7.31 & the AstraT in 7.23. Wheels had slower times but they obviously can't drive or record time (kidding). I think the official results overseas are different again saying the Vectra can do it in 7.0 (not sure for the Astra). Regardless, these are pretty impressive results considering that you have Volkswagens, Peugeots, MGs, Hondas, Chryslers, Audis, Alfas and a host of other over priced performance cars do'in roughly the same stats but for 20+G dogs more.

But which one is better considering all factors: Astra, Corsa or Vectra?

CAL.16V
5th August 2004, 04:42 PM
calibra is obviously the best...why go past a 4wd turbo 6 speed one??? :D

Degen-Astra
5th August 2004, 04:45 PM
This is going to start arguements! :wink: Hee hee!!

I love my Astra 2.2. But would own a Barina SRi, Calibra Turbo, Current Vectra Hatch CDXi.

Cybulba
5th August 2004, 04:48 PM
happy with my car cant afford another so i pick mine to be the best in my eyes ;)

FlySri
5th August 2004, 04:49 PM
This is going to start arguements! :wink: Hee hee!!

I love my Astra 2.2. But would own a Barina SRi, Calibra Turbo, Current Vectra Hatch CDXi.

Your right this will start arguments !!!!!
I think drive them all and pick the one you like the most !!!!
There all good in there own way...... but go the SRI T !!!!!!

OPC
5th August 2004, 04:56 PM
:bang:damn.... i thought everyone knew the astra t was the best opel then the sri barina then the vecy and last calibra :screwy:

Seus
5th August 2004, 04:56 PM

because when you try to turn it, it jsut keeps going forward, at least for the fwd version.... 8)

if i had my pick, and a large ammount of money, i would get a V6 vectra B and make it fly, literally

Anonymous
5th August 2004, 04:57 PM
It's not really the greatest comparison though...it's like comparing apples with oranges really. Each Opel model would have been built with a specific purpose or market in mind.
But anyway, since you're asking, I'd personally choose the Astra SRI-T as the pick of the bunch out of all the locally delivered models

jch75
5th August 2004, 05:16 PM

Hmm yeah. Before I bought my new ZC Vectra, I was looking to track down a second hand 4wd turbo calibra. I was looking on carpoint for ages and nothing came up (for South Australia). No later than a week after I got my new car, I did the dump thing and had a peep and there was a CalibraT waiting to be bought. Doh.....................

Anyway, I have read a few artciles that have said the CalibraT is a nice car but has a crappy gearbox that shags itself if given too much stick. Obviously that is the case with every car but for people to be writing it - it makes me feel a little uncomfortable. Its abit like when Holden first bought out the 5.7Ltr, all the Holden Dealers had to fix gear box issues on their clients cars because it couldn't handle the power when keen drivers decided to let their SS have it. You don't want gearing issues................ thats not nice. Also, the calibra without the aftermarket kits look abit ordinary, particularly in that common red. Navy blue or black looks cool but that stock red fades and is ordinary. I like calibras - I think they rock but thats only if they have had some work. They do up sickly. What are the official Cally 4wd T 0-100 stats? I have seen all sorts of figures floating around.

Mr Cali
5th August 2004, 05:16 PM

because when you try to turn it, it jsut keeps going forward, at least for the fwd version.... 8)

if i had my pick, and a large ammount of money, i would get a V6 vectra B and make it fly, literally

Not quite sure why you say this, cause mine handles quite well, even before I upgraded the suspension.

If we're talking about all Opels what about the VX220
0-100kph 4.9sec

http://www.rsportscars.com/foto/09/speedsterturbo03_01.jpg

Degen-Astra
5th August 2004, 05:17 PM
Mr Cali...I will SO agree with you on the VX220 - weighs only 875kgs!

jch75
5th August 2004, 05:30 PM
It's not really the greatest comparison though...it's like comparing apples with oranges really. Each Opel model would have been built with a specific purpose or market in mind.

A agree with the above comment but at the end of they day I think performance wise they are similar - $$$ wise they are very affordable - appearance they are very different (now at least) - feature wise, similar to an extent - and I think they do compare well based on lower $$$. They both offer great bang for buck.

I think the turbo will be easier to get better performance because you just need to tweak the boost which doesn't cost that much. But the 3.2 Vectra, despite being a great drive already, will need a few grand for a supercharger or turbo, an appropriate exhaust - so there is money to spend but in the end u would have an awesome road racing sports sedan\hatch.

dug74
5th August 2004, 07:29 PM
i wouldnt worry about doing up the ZC.... i would just import an OPC Vectra..

No performance mods needed...and they look SIK :shock:

ultim8DTM5
5th August 2004, 07:39 PM
The Beep Beep Barina FM Superfreak can nevah lose! :mrgreen:

Jass
5th August 2004, 07:55 PM
The calibra engine C20LET is much stronger then the Z20LET. Manhle forged pistons, forged rods ect, basically it can handle a boost upgrade without killing the internals like the Z20let engine. Looks wise i reckon the astra T looks awsome, kicks ass over the cali which looks like something out of the jetsons cartoons :P jk's (hides from cali owners).

But if you really want performance (stock) then the VX220 is the pick! :mrgreen:

GOZOFF
6th August 2004, 01:09 AM
Nah the Astra SRi esspecially the BLUE ones :wink:

Corsa
6th August 2004, 01:33 AM
Give me an Opel Lotus Carlton over any of the other Opels.
Rear Wheel Drive with 281KW and 568NM to play with. :twisted:
Corsa

Marty
6th August 2004, 04:08 AM
Opel Speedster Turbo :twisted:

2L Turbo and approx 875kg in weight!

jch75
6th August 2004, 07:11 PM
So the VX220 seems to be a bit of a fav....................but its not exactly practical. But fast yes......................Top Gear (i think it was) did a review on it and said it was pretty sick (to have a fang in). They also loved the Monaro too. TG saying it was one of the easiest powerful cars to drive. I have the video on my drive but only dial up connection so :(

jch75
6th August 2004, 07:17 PM
i wouldnt worry about doing up the ZC.... i would just import an OPC Vectra..

No performance mods needed...and they look SIK :shock:

Agree. Given the 3.2 does 0-100 in 7.3 & the OPC TT does it in mid 6s - to what extent would you need to go (modification wise) do you think to make up the rough second difference? Somone on the new engine topic mentioned: "cam and intake and remap and exhaust would get you HUGE gains as they are all restrictive". Do you reckon that would pull in a whole giant second?

I wouldn't go through the hassle of doing the import thing though until they release an AWD version...........that would be mighty mighty (as one of those aussie idol goobs once said).

jch75
6th August 2004, 07:51 PM
I must say, without really knowing any details, I like the look of this:

http://www.germancarfans.com/spyphotos.cfm/spyphotoid/6040505.001/opel/1.html

Looks like a mean mother, just needs the LS2 or something under the bonnet. Maybe an LS2 TT to tear apart Skylines & Zs for a change hehehehe. AWD too of course.

U r right, I don't want much.

Seus
6th August 2004, 10:47 PM
i don't know why no-one supercharges ls1's, as in holden
lots of modifiers seem to do it for not too much, and get rediculous figures like 400+ kw without having to do too much on the internals

Corsa
6th August 2004, 11:10 PM
Would you like to cover the warranty for an LS1 equipped car with a supercharger and that sort of power. Aint hard for that engine combo to exceed to torque limitations on the gearbox and rest of the driveline.
Corsa

Nem
7th August 2004, 02:49 AM
Astra OPC Xtreme (http://www.carnetnews.co.uk/news/story502.html)
http://www.rsportscars.com/foto/02/astra_opc_xtreme.jpg

ultim8DTM5
7th August 2004, 12:14 PM
Would you like to cover the warranty for an LS1 equipped car with a supercharger and that sort of power. Aint hard for that engine combo to exceed to torque limitations on the gearbox and rest of the driveline.
Corsa

Plus you'd have to own a couple oil rigs just for servicing :P

mr_sikma
7th August 2004, 06:35 PM
i test drove the barina today. it was a '01 model with only 15,000kms. went allright and was pretty roomy for a small car.

but yeah the astra turbo is pretty nice 8)

corsaboy
10th August 2004, 08:57 AM
Obviously Corsa B is the best (when it has a V8 dropped in) 8)

Jackson
10th August 2004, 11:13 AM
Jetsons cartoon,

well i hate to break it to you but my spacely sprockets in my cali have been going strong for ages so there.

obviously i like the cali V6, hmmmmmm sexy

Anonymous
10th August 2004, 12:58 PM
MY astra city

I bought it for a steal, with a lot of extras, 3 years free service and the 6 year warranty.

I would love to say the new vectra, but fwd keeps haunting me... lol.

the vx220 is hot. 8)

mr_sikma
11th August 2004, 08:47 AM
MY astra city
I would love to say the new vectra, but fwd keeps haunting me... lol.

your astra is fwd... and what is the vectra then???

armadillo
15th February 2015, 02:50 PM
Give me an Opel Lotus Carlton over any of the other Opels.
Rear Wheel Drive with 281KW and 568NM to play with. :twisted:
Corsa
I concur - Opel haven't made anything better in 24 years!!
BTW has anybody got one in Australia? I have never seen one at a GM show-and-shine day. It would presumably be a RHD Vauxhall version. Only half as many made as the Opel Omega, but the Opels were probably flogged to death on the autobahns...