PDA

View Full Version : air filters

darkirv
22nd November 2008, 02:51 PM
if i put the original astra intake on with a k&n panel filter in the filter box will i get similar performance to a pod filter?

jaffa-cree
22nd November 2008, 03:12 PM
if i put the original astra intake on with a k&n panel filter in the filter box will i get similar performance to a pod filter?

I think the panel filter will do better than a POD filter unless your POD has a heat shield to prevent it from sucking in hot air from the engine bay.

darkirv
22nd November 2008, 03:27 PM
it would look more standard too...

CNBLU
22nd November 2008, 03:32 PM
will do squat

darkirv
22nd November 2008, 03:41 PM
whats better than a pod filter, we where going to make a twin pipe pod filter setup at work just for a laugh...

tomburke7
22nd November 2008, 05:49 PM

Look at the data for another type of car (but typical of modern cars):

Peak restriction (inches of water)
(36) Resonant snorkel assembly/lower half of airbox
(1) Air filter element
(9) Top half of airbox/airflow meter
(5) post filter piping
(51) Total intake restriction

as you can see the air filter represent 2% of the restriction. All the power is hiding before the filter - fit the veccy c pipe.

AH Sri Turb04
12th December 2008, 12:14 PM
as you can see the air filter represent 2% of the restriction. All the power is hiding before the filter - fit the veccy c pipe.

I have been going round in circles in relation to this....

Please can someone correct me if this is wrong. The best setup for the Astra H would purely be a K&N filter in the stock (??) box and adding the veccy-C intake??

Does any have a pic of what the veccy-c intake??

tomburke7
12th December 2008, 12:40 PM

Please can someone correct me if this is wrong. The best setup for the Astra H would purely be a K&N filter in the stock (??) box and adding the veccy-C intake??

de-restrict the airbox & veccy C intake IS the go. K&N if you want.

look how much bigger the veccy pipe is compared with my standard one:

AH Sri Turb04
12th December 2008, 12:44 PM
Just for reference this is the Astra H and the VXR intakes...the VXR is also alot bigger

http://i6.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/8f/91/417e_1.JPG
(note that this is straight off ebay and may not be completely reliable)

lithium
12th December 2008, 01:14 PM
have any of you guys who have derestricted or put on a larger intake snorkel noticed any difference? i was considering but decided it would probably do diddly squat like my K&N filter did, so i left the factory snorkle in place

btw if you mod your airbox i suggest not to bash out the trumpet leading into your air flow meter like some people say to do - its there to smooth out the air into the AFM so your car can meter its fuel correctly...

AH Sri Turb04
12th December 2008, 02:58 PM
...probably do diddly squat like my K&N filter did...

absolutely nothing :confused:

lithium
12th December 2008, 03:25 PM
absolutely nothing :confused:

errmm nothing i could feel while driving, and i drive my car every day. i understand there might more difference on a turbo but i think even K&N only claim a maximum increase of 1kw peak power or something?

some people say they experience improved throttle response, i didn't notice any. i did notice slightly better response when i disconnected the intake snorkel and took it out of the car - at the expense of huge heat soak and poor performance after about 30 minutes driving, so i put the snorkel back in

for me i guess the best thing about the K&N is that you can take it out and clean it whenever you want, instead of having to buy a new filter every 10k or 15k or something to keep your car in peak condition.

however when cleaning, after reoiling, how can you be sure you have the right amount of oil for the filter to block dirt effectively? i still keep it on my Barina but if i ever buy an expensive car where i don't want to risk scoring my cylinders with dirt, i will think twice about using a K&N

always open to be proven wrong though! some tuners swear by them so maybe there's something in it. and if the large intake makes a difference i might consider slicing my factory snorkel open at the front or something...

tomburke7
12th December 2008, 03:56 PM
[QUOTE=lithium;365425]have any of you guys who have derestricted or put on a larger intake snorkel noticed any difference? i was considering but decided it would probably do diddly squat like my K&N filter did, so i left the factory snorkle in place

The snorkel will make more difference than the K&N - see figures in post below, however this difference will only be apparent at peak flow. Peak flow = peak RPM. So if you run the engine up to the rev limiter in each gear you should notice a difference. If you change 1000 RPM below the redline it will be, as you say, diddly squat.

Hackstra
12th December 2008, 05:57 PM
I have a veccy C intake and a derestricted air box, but still the stock filter and im yet to notice a difference (wasnt expecting much tho)

tomburke7
12th December 2008, 06:39 PM
I have a veccy C intake and a derestricted air box, but still the stock filter and im yet to notice a difference (wasnt expecting much tho)

The best change I did was to get rid of the hugely restrictive rear muffler. Put a 2.5 inch straight through in its place. It gave an instant improvement in power, lower fuel consumption, and the car sounds deep & growly. Not bad for $100 (for the muffler + fitting).

AH Sri Turb04
15th December 2008, 01:12 PM

I de-restricted the airbox over the weekend and found that it growls a little bit more from the front and the air coming in sounds louder - the 'wooshing'. It feels like its spooling earlier than 2.5k now, more closer to 2k...Can this be possible, or is it only because more airflow is coming in?

chrissn89
15th December 2008, 07:49 PM
I de-restricted the airbox over the weekend and found that it growls a little bit more from the front and the air coming in sounds louder - the 'wooshing'. It feels like its spooling earlier than 2.5k now, more closer to 2k...Can this be possible, or is it only because more airflow is coming in?

My understanding is that it is spooling earlier because of more air flow. The engine can create more exhaust gases allowing the turbo to spool up quicker. I could be wrong, we'll see what the other guys have to say.

Neeko
15th December 2008, 08:37 PM
have any of you guys who have derestricted or put on a larger intake snorkel noticed any difference? i was considering but decided it would probably do diddly squat like my K&N filter did, so i left the factory snorkle in place

btw if you mod your airbox i suggest not to bash out the trumpet leading into your air flow meter like some people say to do - its there to smooth out the air into the AFM so your car can meter its fuel correctly...

i felt quite a difference on my barina after the K&N pod filter and cold air intake was in place. Big change in throttle response! Induction noise is apparently loud enough for someone to think my barina was turboed on the weekend lol

oh and with the oiling of the filter, i spray on a sufficient amount to change the pod filters colour back to the K&N orange (using K&N re-charge kit)

have had to replace MAF sensor after 60k though.

BEK-46P
15th December 2008, 10:01 PM

I've de-restricted the air box, installed a K&N panel and cut out a second hole in my stock intake... and to be honest, have noticed only a marginal improvement. I suppose the most improvement is in the higher rev range, maybe 3000 and over. I've ordered a Veccy intake so hopefully that should make a difference.

luvpsi
15th December 2008, 10:15 PM
My understanding is that it is spooling earlier because of more air flow. The engine can create more exhaust gases allowing the turbo to spool up quicker. I could be wrong, we'll see what the other guys have to say.

remove the cross-over pipe on the turbo models and either replace with pod or 2.2/1.9 cdti airbox for noticeable improvement

lithium
16th December 2008, 12:28 PM
i felt quite a difference on my barina after the K&N pod filter and cold air intake was in place. Big change in throttle response! Induction noise is apparently loud enough for someone to think my barina was turboed on the weekend lol

oh and with the oiling of the filter, i spray on a sufficient amount to change the pod filters colour back to the K&N orange (using K&N re-charge kit)

have had to replace MAF sensor after 60k though.

ok, thanks. i might get out the drill and lighter and stanley knife and flexible tubing and attack my air box next week and see if i can't get any improvements out of it :dance:

Neeko
16th December 2008, 05:30 PM
ok, thanks. i might get out the drill and lighter and stanley knife and flexible tubing and attack my air box next week and see if i can't get any improvements out of it :dance:

this is what mine looks like

http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq238/nicolaim88/16-12-08_1619.jpg

underneath car

http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq238/nicolaim88/16-12-08_1620.jpg

you can just see the pipe and see 5 bugs per square inch.

http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq238/nicolaim88/16-12-08_1621.jpg

lithium
16th December 2008, 11:37 PM
i like your setup - i might see if i can run the tubing to the front guard like you have on my SRi
its a bit low though, do you worry about going through puddles?

Neeko
16th December 2008, 11:51 PM
i like your setup - i might see if i can run the tubing to the front guard like you have on my SRi
its a bit low though, do you worry about going through puddles?

it might look low but its not that low in reality...

I'd have to hit a 20cm deep puddle for me to get anything in there.
I've never had problems though, you pick up a fair amount of bugs after like 2 months, but for water to get to my filter you'd have to be driving at 180 during the wettest weather.

MatsHolden
17th December 2008, 12:02 AM
this is what mine looks like

http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq238/nicolaim88/16-12-08_1619.jpg

underneath car

http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq238/nicolaim88/16-12-08_1620.jpg

you can just see the pipe and see 5 bugs per square inch.

http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq238/nicolaim88/16-12-08_1621.jpg

Hey, not trying to take the piss here or anything, don't want you to take it the wrong way, BUT is that filter actually doing anything if you've got that cold air feed going inside the filter? Or am I seeing it wrongly? The way it looks to me is that with that setup, you may as well not have a filter there at all... Might explain why you needed to replace your MAF sensor...

alts
17th December 2008, 12:22 AM
What do you mean Mats?
http://www.force-flow.com/photos/air1.jpg

As you see the pod isn't just a cylinder... if you know what i mean. There is a blockade so i imagine that nicolaim88's is doing something to push in cold air. However seeing as the rest of the pod is exposed, there will also be some hot air taken in. If I am right?

MatsHolden
17th December 2008, 12:24 AM
What do you mean Mats?
http://www.force-flow.com/photos/air1.jpg

As you see the pod isn't just a cylinder... if you know what i mean. There is a blockade so i imagine that nicolaim88's is doing something to push in cold air. However seeing as the rest of the pod is exposed, there will also be some hot air taken in. If I am right?

Yeah but the pod nicolaim88's got appears to be mounted in reverse there for not filtering the air coming from the cold air feed... only filtering any air being sucked through the filter from the engine bay... unless it has got as yo've got there in that photo that end element in it... then it would be fine, just not all pod filters are like that you do realise mate. As I said I could be reading the image wrongly, was just wanting to double check to ensure no potential for damage to the engine was there.

Neeko
17th December 2008, 12:25 AM
hope this clears all confusion

http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq238/nicolaim88/16122008230.jpg

nic

alts
17th December 2008, 12:27 AM
I'm so glad we got that cleared up. :P
hehe

Neeko
17th December 2008, 12:29 AM
I'm so glad we got that cleared up. :P
hehe

ha ha me 2 :dance: i'm not that sped to just let grit/bugs and wat not be fed into my engine :p

MatsHolden
17th December 2008, 12:33 AM
ha ha me 2 :dance: i'm not that sped to just let grit/bugs and wat not be fed into my engine :p

Good good. I was reading it wrong. I was picturing it as a filter like the one below being modified with a hole, hence why I was thinking whoa!

http://www.jdmperformance.co.nz/oneadmin/_files/ecommerce/a01df_k&n_pod.jpg

Neeko
17th December 2008, 12:42 AM
Good good. I was reading it wrong. I was picturing it as a filter like the one below being modified with a hole, hence why I was thinking whoa!

http://www.jdmperformance.co.nz/oneadmin/_files/ecommerce/a01df_k&n_pod.jpg

nah nah :p

if you wanna see something embarrassing though i'll have to post up this pic.

YES I DID TRY AN ELECTRIC SUPERCHARGER

http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq238/nicolaim88/BarinaSupercharger003.jpg

and no it did nothing, blew up instead, returned it, never got it back. end of that story :(

CNBLU
17th December 2008, 12:45 AM
Did you not try your hairdryer first??

MatsHolden
17th December 2008, 12:46 AM
nah nah :p

if you wanna see something embarrassing though i'll have to post up this pic.

YES I DID TRY AN ELECTRIC SUPERCHARGER

http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq238/nicolaim88/BarinaSupercharger003.jpg

and no it did nothing, blew up instead, returned it, never got it back. end of that story :(

lol quick take that post down! :p

Neeko
17th December 2008, 12:48 AM
i'll leave it up, someone has to be daring enough to try out something that wastes as much money as these things do lol

they're so good at convincing that they do work, with all their little facts and figures. Didnt know much bout anything back then but hey all we can do is learn from it :)

alts
17th December 2008, 12:53 AM
You got the shitty one.
I wanna get the X4, ofcourse just to see how it is.
Did you get a refund?
I might conduct an experiment to see if it does anything to my little 1.8 astra
:)

Neeko
17th December 2008, 12:57 AM
You got the shitty one.
I wanna get the X4, ofcourse just to see how it is.
Did you get a refund?
I might conduct an experiment to see if it does anything to my little 1.8 astra
:)

i bought mine just before the X4 came out, apparently a lot better. Not sure if i'd try it again though, maybe i hooked it up wrong or something. I had it checked by an electrician though so shoudl have been right.

And nah didnt get a refund :( he said he never received it in the mail! that was big letdown.

Does anyone know the amount of amps the alternator puts out for astras or barinas because it says the X4 uses 60AMPS of power intermittently! sounds like a shit load to me

alts
17th December 2008, 01:03 AM
I'm pretty sure it only 'kicks on' at really high revs, and for only about 15 seconds; The X4 that is.

I wouldn't have the high beams on, and air con on 'high' though, just to be safe. ;)

Neeko
17th December 2008, 10:18 AM
I'm pretty sure it only 'kicks on' at really high revs, and for only about 15 seconds; The X4 that is.

I wouldn't have the high beams on, and air con on 'high' though, just to be safe. ;)

it kicks in under full throttle :) it has a switch underneath the pedal