PDA

View Full Version : Getting up to Speed

Jerram
16th November 2008, 04:17 PM
probably a good one for you, Auzvectra.

I'm wondering how much it would take for my C20SEL Vectra to get a low 8 second/ high 7 second 0-100 time.

I'll be taking a remap in the next quarter, and after that will be a full exhaust (4-2-1 extraction, sports cat etc.).

What else will I need to achieve this (given my already completed mods (see sig.)

btw stock 0-100 time is near as makes no difference 10 seconds.

daiflu
16th November 2008, 04:47 PM
You'll need alot of this:$$$$$$$$$$$

Hackstra
16th November 2008, 04:58 PM
buy a car with forced induction hehe.....

auzvectra
16th November 2008, 05:33 PM
well ur motor is practically the Z20let with weaker internals, lugs in the exhaust ports for the non existant secondary air induction, and without coil over coil packs ;).

it is really hard to say, the stock astra turbo does 0-100 in 7.3 sec apparently, yet i did 6.8 ;)

it really depends what way you want to go, NA or Forced induction, after seeing the internals of the C/SEL motors, i would approximate they would be able to hold around 200-250hp (although i'm not qualified to make this asumption ;)).
with this in mind to equal the power level of the sri-t with stock intenals, i would sujest a thicker head gasket to reduce the comp a lil but. you should be able to keep around that level of accleration. as the veccy is a about 100kg's heavier then the astra from memory u should still be able to get the high 7's to low 8's ur after.

cheapest way to do this would be to buy some1's stock sri-t turbo who has upgraded to the vxr, or get a vxr turbo, head gasket, obviously some pipes (sri-t dump pipe could work), cooler n pipes, n piggyback ecu to help with the fueling.

although my pref is garrett tuyrbo's over the 3K turbo's, but due to the ease of install and avaliability of the 3k's, they will be a cheaper option.

on the other hand, it may be possible as a NA aswell, after all they do get these motors upto the 180odd kw mark NA aswell ;), keeping in mind this way involves increasing the cubes :D.

Jerram
16th November 2008, 05:46 PM
It's interesting reading this when seeing that the Calibra apparently gets 8 seconds with the 110kW redtop and 1280kg v/s the c20sel vec with 100kW & 1335kg. Astra G btw is 85kW and 1155kg.

I guess weight matters more than I thought.

poita
16th November 2008, 06:22 PM
the aerodynamics of the calibra help also ;)

Jerram
16th November 2008, 07:01 PM
well interestingly I was watching a top gear review of the Cali and they guy said that drag co-efficient of the 16v & 24v Calibras was very similar to the Cavalier (Vectra A). I'm also pretty sure that the Vectra B saw an improvement over the A with things like the streamlined mirrors and such.

The 8v Calibra was the one with that super low dc.

nuggz
17th November 2008, 10:06 AM
Get rid of the twin balancer shafts =)

*edit* and make sure your torque rod/mount thingy is in good nick

Calibrated
17th November 2008, 10:12 AM
It's interesting reading this when seeing that the Calibra apparently gets 8 seconds with the 110kW redtop and 1280kg v/s the c20sel vec with 100kW & 1335kg. Astra G btw is 85kW and 1155kg.

I guess weight matters more than I thought.
look at the c20xe's powerband ;) and the F20 gearbox.

Jerram
17th November 2008, 04:34 PM
alright then what about swapping the c20sel out for a c20xe? How easy would that be?

lithium
17th November 2008, 05:35 PM
hmmm, 2 secs off your 0-100 time - how much money do you have? ;)

i think you'll be looking at pretty serious modification to do that, extractors and a remap won't get you anywhere near that sort of power.

if you stay NA you'll need to open the engine - big bucks unless you happen to be a mechanic? if you go turbo you'll get it but its still big bucks and you can say goodbye to everyday drivability, reliability, engine life, fuel consumption....

i guess you haven't considered trading your veccie in for something with a turbo? i'm not trying to be a smartarse, i just think that's your best bet because you're aiming pretty high. the best way to get a fast car is always to buy a fast car straight from the factory :)

nuggz
17th November 2008, 05:44 PM
the best way to get a fast car is always to buy a fast car straight from the factory :)

Your probably right, but where the fun in that ey ;)

poita
17th November 2008, 05:46 PM
the best way to get a fast car is always to buy a fast car straight from the factory :)

this forum wouldn't exist if everyone did that ;)

lithium
17th November 2008, 05:49 PM
Your probably right, but where the fun in that ey ;)

this forum wouldn't exist if everyone did that ;)

lol! touche :D

oh one more thing for Jerram, actually you might be able to get close taking the other route - rip out the back seats, passenger seat, spare, all the plastic trimming inside the car, carpet. the end result might be something more than anyone bargained for though :)

Jerram
17th November 2008, 06:02 PM
tbh I've never been the biggest fan of Astras. I can handle getting paid out for driving a Pensioner's car, but I don't know about a "Girl's Car."

I'd much rather a Cali; I think it still is one of the best looking cars around even though it's two decade old technology. Oh that and they're a damn site cheaper to buy and run than Turbos. (Given that you iron out the typical Opel faults of course). We'll see what happens I guess.

auzvectra
17th November 2008, 06:36 PM
i belive the C20SEL doesny have the balance shafts ;). cant remember where i read it, but the 2.2L does m the 2.0L doesnt aparently.