PDA

View Full Version : xenons

SRIboi4
5th November 2008, 10:40 PM
hey guys, im getting sick of my stock headlights and really want to get xenons. i know this topic has been brought up alot but do you guys have any recomendations for xenons at a "reasonable" price. hehe

thanks

CNBLU
5th November 2008, 11:02 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-XENON-HID-KIT-H1-H3-H3C-H7-H9-H11-9005-9006-HB3-HB4_W0QQitemZ390003947350QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item3 90003947350&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Thats what i got

ROCCO
5th November 2008, 11:37 PM
have any probs with the canbus and this unit?? damn cheap too...where did oyu get them installed? how long did it take? I wouldn't mind getting some 8000K for the H

auzvectra
5th November 2008, 11:43 PM
try the 55w version, might fix the canbus issue, no clue but might ;).

bornwild
5th November 2008, 11:44 PM
oh boy

CNBLU
5th November 2008, 11:44 PM
have any probs with the canbus and this unit?? damn cheap too...where did oyu get them installed? how long did it take? I wouldn't mind getting some 8000K for the H

All i can say is BROTEK:D

Got some H7 bulb holders from Autovaux then drilled a hole through the middle so the HID bulb fits straight through. Took about 30 minutes and most of that was drilling.

Cant fault them....just dont get infront of me:p

rjastra
5th November 2008, 11:50 PM

Got some H7 bulb holders from Autovaux then drilled a hole through the middle so the HID bulb fits straight through. Took about 30 minutes and most of that was drilling.

Just buy a H7 conversion kit - lol

CNBLU
5th November 2008, 11:53 PM
how do you expect the bulbs to stay in your head lights??

SRIboi4
5th November 2008, 11:55 PM
thanks for the help
yehh gav i think i might get the ones you have, they look amazing wen u see them face to face. but ive also heard people talking about those phillips crystal vision.
what are your thoughts on them?

auzvectra
5th November 2008, 11:56 PM
the kits come with a h7 base xenon bulb...
so they clip strait into ur headlights like a normal bulb.
that is if you get the right 1.

CNBLU
5th November 2008, 11:56 PM
two different type of bulbs. HIDs dont compare

CNBLU
5th November 2008, 11:57 PM
the kits come with a h7 base xenon bulb...
so they clip strait into ur headlights like a normal bulb.
that is if you get the right 1.

when you find one let me know

SRIboi4
5th November 2008, 11:59 PM
two different type of bulbs. HIDs dont compare

ohh really, i have no clue when it comes to bulbs.
if i didnt decide to get HID's and got the phillips bulbs instead, would there still be an improvement compared to my stock bulbs?

CNBLU
6th November 2008, 12:00 AM
ohh really, i have no clue when it comes to bulbs.
if i didnt decide to get HID's and got the phillips bulbs instead, would there still be an improvement compared to my stock bulbs?

A little better, but for the same money you can buy HIDs. Have you seen how much crystal visions are?

SRIboi4
6th November 2008, 12:01 AM
A little better, but for the same money you can buy HIDs. Have you seen how much crystal visions are?

yehh, heard they were like 100ish
if thats the case ill just get the HIDs if they are better
value for money:) hehe

UnKnOwN
6th November 2008, 02:25 AM
crystal vision isnt as "blue" as HIDs anyway, still has a tinge of yellow to it, after having HIDs on the vec my old crystal vision dat i put in the AH is no comparison...
diamond vision comes a bit closer color wise but still not as bright

rjastra
6th November 2008, 07:01 AM
H7 kit
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/XENON-HID-CONVERSION-KIT-H7-6000K_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el12 62QQcategoryZ36476QQihZ027QQitemZ400003756803QQtcZ photo

But as it has been said numerous times before.... you will just increase glare and ruin your current headlights beam, cutoff and spread. They are just not made for the HID light source... different focal point/shape.

If you want more light (that matches your existing lheadlamps) then Visionplus Extreme or (sylvania/osram) Silverstar Extreme are the way to go. They are H7 bases with the higher outputs of the H9 technology bulbs. They will be whiter than normal h7 bulbs but not blue.

Greg K
6th November 2008, 08:55 AM
this is what you should be buying if you want to keep it legal (but in RHD)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Set-VAUXHALL-Astra-G-LHD-european-headlamps-headlights_W0QQitemZ370052705457QQcmdZViewItem?has h=item370052705457&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A3|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Greg K
6th November 2008, 08:58 AM
or these ones for our fellow vectra owners..

like mine: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vectra-B-Xenon-Headlights_W0QQitemZ260309827967QQcmdZViewItem?has h=item260309827967&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A3|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Ice
6th November 2008, 09:15 AM
Woo ! got myself some HID's 8000K yesterday.

Just waiting to book it into brotek for the Install.

Cant wait :)

CNBLU
6th November 2008, 11:44 AM
H7 kit
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/XENON-HID-CONVERSION-KIT-H7-6000K_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el12 62QQcategoryZ36476QQihZ027QQitemZ400003756803QQtcZ photo

But as it has been said numerous times before.... you will just increase glare and ruin your current headlights beam, cutoff and spread. They are just not made for the HID light source... different focal point/shape.

If you want more light (that matches your existing lheadlamps) then Visionplus Extreme or (sylvania/osram) Silverstar Extreme are the way to go. They are H7 bases with the higher outputs of the H9 technology bulbs. They will be whiter than normal h7 bulbs but not blue.

can you tell me the difference between the lights in your link and the ones i put up?

If you want to control the spread of light just get a set of angel eyes and job done.

JR
6th November 2008, 12:59 PM
If you want to control the spread of light just get a set of angel eyes and job done.

the astra's reflector type headlamps were not designed to be used with HID globes, as rjastra pointed out. its focal point is different. and if u do choose to anyway, make sure u get the shielded hid globe type (D2R). u'll still get light scatter.

u need to get projector type headlamps, and as cnblu said - angel eyes r one example.
however, not all angel eyes, or projector headlamps can handle hid globes. this depends on what material is used for the projector lens (not the headlight cover). cheaper ones use polycarbonate cause its cheaper to manufacture. however these will discolor overtime due to the heat produced inside by the hid globe. eventually no light will emit through.
the same thing will happen if u retro fit hids into ur stock headlights. the headlight cover is made of the same polycarbonate material. u'll cook it from the inside, n eventually discolor it.

the more expesive ones use glass, n hence can handle the heat produced by the hid globes. they will also shield the headlight cover from the heat.

oh...n i wouldn't recommend anything higher than 6000k. unless ur going purely for looks.

Jerram
6th November 2008, 01:03 PM
I just bought meself a pair of angeleyes (375 posted)

I'm gonna see how they go OEM (don't forget almost anything is better then the pre-facelift vec B's headlights) and then see if it's worth putting a HID kit into the H1 projector.

gman
6th November 2008, 05:00 PM

Cant fault them....just dont get infront of me:p

You don't have a part number for those do you???

CNBLU
6th November 2008, 10:09 PM
You don't have a part number for those do you???

Part number for the bulb holders?

Wraith
7th November 2008, 10:09 AM
Guys as mentioned b rj, if you buy a 'proper' H7 Xenon HID kit, you don't need to do any of that...they fit straight in :)

All you have to do is make a neat hole in the backing cap, for the HID globe wiring and the HID kit will come with a tight fitting grommet to close it all up nicely !!! (refer to 1st pic below)

Also as noted by JR, please DO NOT install Xenon HID globes in standard headlight units - there are too many people on the roads who've taken this cheap/easy way out and are a danger to other road users, because of the blinding they cause...

Go to the trouble of getting projector headlight assembles installed also, the benifit for the extra cost, is not only better and compliant operation, but far superior/better looking headlights as well :)

http://i37.tinypic.com/33k9lef.jpg

As said additional cost of entire headlight assemblies is well worth it, as you also get a very nice looking set of angel eyes...lots of guys here have these now.

http://i36.tinypic.com/zkh2pu.jpg

http://i33.tinypic.com/2uhuuyw.jpg

mek
7th November 2008, 06:59 PM
angel eyes.... really?

Wraith
8th November 2008, 12:49 PM
angel eyes.... really?

Yes angel eyes BMW style...they do also go by other names, but angel eyes is the most common.

You can't see them in the pics above ??

Pic 2, the glowing rings :) they replace the operation of the small 5watt 'parker' bulb in the standard or stock headlight assemblies...

RobCDX
9th November 2008, 01:16 AM
i just changed my headlights with a set containing the halos

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee230/RobCDX/P1020186.jpg

Wraith
9th November 2008, 08:25 PM
Niiiiiice ^^^^

Well done, looks so much better dosn't it both off or fired up ;)

ROCCO
9th November 2008, 09:11 PM
please post a warning next time pics like these are put up...just went through a pair of pants when I saw those pics :-)

Wraith
9th November 2008, 09:24 PM
LOL ^^^^

They do look good and believe me, they look even better in real life, pics do them no justice !!! :)

RobCDX
10th November 2008, 02:22 PM
LOL ^^^^

They do look good and believe me, they look even better in real life, pics do them no justice !!! :)

yeah they look heaps better in the metal/flesh/polycarbonate :D

gman
11th November 2008, 10:21 AM
Part number for the bulb holders?

Yep...If you got one....

CNBLU
11th November 2008, 12:21 PM
Yep...If you got one....

i just called mark at autovaux and asked him to send me two and then 3 days later ' ding dong' it was at my door step;)

gman
11th November 2008, 12:59 PM
Cool...I'll just ask Mark...

ROCCO
11th November 2008, 06:28 PM
i'm looking at buy some H7R HID from UK ebay...can someone have a look and let me know if they would work?? I've already asked the seller and he says yes deinfitly work but i wonder if its they are just saying to get me to buy...any way heres the link

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=350116717885

auzvectra
11th November 2008, 08:25 PM
hhmm, interesting. seems that way.
i'd still prefer to have projectors 1st ;), especially considering the angel eye's have a did bulb.

ROCCO
11th November 2008, 11:52 PM
according to the ones i'm wanting buy the H7R they are designed for non-projector cars they have been blacked out in a area to stop the spread...just wanting to know what you guys think of the above linked HIDs?

JR
12th November 2008, 11:29 AM
H7 v H7R
D2S v D2R

the "R" signifies "shielded" - hence why they're designed for reflector style headlights. however, depending on the reflector in your headlight, u might still get some light scatter.

its a good buy - but b aware that later on if u do choose to buy projector style headlights, these "R" version globes will not work correctly.

also another note: when u use HID globes in reflector style headlight, u stick out like a sore thumb because its obvious ur running HIDs - this will grab the attention of the blues brothers.
hence defecting u becuase u don't meet HID requirements, i.e. auto-leveling and headlight washer system.

with projector headlamps, its harder for them to tell between HIDs n halogen globes. unless ofcourse u run 10,000K or more cause ur light looks purple!!! :eek:
because its harder, the less chance u r of being defected for running hids without an auto-leveling n washer system.
i had hids for ages now, and touch-wood, haven't been defected yet. i don't meet the HID requirements.

i'm still looking at options for a headlight washer system.

AfterBurner
18th November 2008, 06:58 PM
Hey guys, i'm a noob here, first post..

I have done some reading but haven't found the answer...

I'm pretty sure the Veccy's have dual 55w globes for Low/High beam??

If i put 100w High beams in it will draw nearly double the current (ohms law),

my question is: Will the wiring & computer cope with the extra load???

Cheers.. AzzA

auzvectra
18th November 2008, 08:40 PM
not sure on the zc veccy but the jr/js have single seperate bulbs.
you will pretty much fry the wireing with that much wattage ;).

AfterBurner
19th November 2008, 08:10 AM
Cheers Auzvec,

Yeah it's a JS indeed & i thought as much, wiring is only about 4mm..

auzvectra
19th November 2008, 09:18 AM
most of the time you can get away with the 80/85w globes, but your better off just useing the 50% bulbs that way you end up with more light neway, but dont add stress to the electrical system.