PDA

View Full Version : HSV VXR Nurburgring

rjastra
5th November 2008, 01:01 PM
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=58336

Amazing what a change to a small set of wheels/tyres can do ;)

SSS_Hoon
5th November 2008, 01:08 PM
work is blocking the site for some reason.

will have to have a look see some other time.

unless someone wants to do a run down of what its about?

SSS_Hoon

gman
5th November 2008, 01:15 PM
Highlights:

"With 177kW and 320Nm, the VXR also has comfortably more power and torque than most of its rivals. Apologies for boring you with numbers for a moment but they're worth more than a glance.

The main rivals, such as the Golf GTI (147kW and 280Nm for the regular model and 169kW and 300Nm for the just-released Pirelli edition) and the Renault Megane R26 version that was sold here (168kW and 310Nm), don't quite match the VXR in the power race.

The turbocharged Ford Focus XR5 has a power deficit and matches torque (166kW and 320Nm) but Focus doesn't match the VXR's acceleration.

The Mazda3 MPS is the only hot hatch in this price range to out-power the VXR, with 190kW and 380Nm. However, the VXR is slightly more effective than the Mazda at transforming this power into drive.

So it was a pleasant surprise to find that, when we got reacquainted with the VXR in Nurburgring form, the lightweight 18-inch wheels and Dunlop Sport Maxx tyres had reduced the amount of steering wheel wriggle. It is incredible to think something so basic could make such an improvement to a car.

The steering and brakes feel more responsive. And we know from experience that the VXR is among the fastest of the front-drive hot hatches (0 to 100kmh in about 6.2 seconds)."

Shaun
5th November 2008, 01:21 PM
Interesting article.

SSS_Hoon
5th November 2008, 01:21 PM
oh ok thanx gman, so nothing really new in there.

SSS_Hoon

Shaun
5th November 2008, 01:23 PM
Its also interesting when you fit a different set of tyres to the car how much it changes. Im now running Yokohama Advans and what a difference the make in the corners. (On the 19 inch rims) I believe the contis arent the best suited rubber to the car and others in the UK with VXR's also have said the same.

JohnBu
5th November 2008, 01:44 PM
i've always wondered why they don't just put in 18s as standard..

i believe that on 18s most cars will handle better than 19s due to lower weight/higher profile.

Shaun
5th November 2008, 02:52 PM

i believe that on 18s most cars will handle better than 19s due to lower weight/higher profile.

18's are stock in the UK. We ended up with a Mixed bag here in Australia or Options. 19's were fitted so they Car had appeal over a SRi T as they now come with 18's .

Vectracious
5th November 2008, 02:53 PM
how are the Advan's wearing in Shaun?

Shaun
5th November 2008, 02:57 PM
how are the Advan's wearing in Shaun?

Quite well so far. (only travelled 5,000km). I only drive the car on weekends these days so they are being used on corners quite a bit as i nomrally take it out for a drive on sundays.

Wraith
5th November 2008, 06:31 PM

No way, it looks heaps better with the 19's - just put better rubber on those for people who want more performance ;)

If your using the VXR as a daily drive, it wouldn't matter that much, but if you were going to track the car, then grab a set of 18's for it - in fact it might do even better with a set of 17's in terms of track performance...

GreyRex
5th November 2008, 08:18 PM
Go Joshua Dowling!!

That's one of the best reviews i've seen for a performance Astra

It's like he actually knew what he was talking about, which is a refreshing change

Alas there's hardly enough of them for it to really matter lol

Shaun
5th November 2008, 09:28 PM
No way, it looks heaps better with the 19's - just put better rubber on those for people who want more performance ;)

If your using the VXR as a daily drive, it wouldn't matter that much, but if you were going to track the car, then grab a set of 18's for it - in fact it might do even better with a set of 17's in terms of track performance...

Good luck getting a set of 17inch rims on a VXR.

kabel
6th November 2008, 02:17 AM
Just change the size of the braking system at the same time !:dance::clap:;)

Shaun
6th November 2008, 06:08 AM
Just change the size of the braking system at the same time !:dance::clap:;)

hehe and have no stopping power hahaha.....

SSS_Hoon
6th November 2008, 07:40 AM
VXR brakes are only 321mm, and its possible to get that size rotor to fit under 17" rims just gotta find the right ones, although you might have to get a slimline caliper to make it fit.

I now have GTR front rotors on my SSS and with my 17" rims and the GTR caliper i can fit 310mm rotors under there, with corvete/porshce calipers i could fit 325mm rotors under them with 18" rims i could fit 355mm rotors but that is way over kill.

SSS_Hoon

Shaun
6th November 2008, 08:24 AM
Im refering to Ventilation. I dont think with 17inch rims you would have enough ventilation to keep them cool.
There is a rule that you normally dont put smaller rims on a car then what comes standard fitment on the car.

SSS_Hoon
6th November 2008, 08:48 AM
Yeah not normally a good idea to go smaller, but for track days it can be of benifit as they are lighter and can often fit wider.

Yeah my wheels dont offer all that much ventalation, but i have brake ducts from the front that help with that.

My normal everyday driving they hardly get hot enough anyway LoL.

SSS_Hoon

rusole21
6th November 2008, 11:02 AM
VXR brakes are only 321mm, and its possible to get that size rotor to fit under 17" rims just gotta find the right ones, although you might have to get a slimline caliper to make it fit.

I now have GTR front rotors on my SSS and with my 17" rims and the GTR caliper i can fit 310mm rotors under there, with corvete/porshce calipers i could fit 325mm rotors under them with 18" rims i could fit 355mm rotors but that is way over kill.

SSS_Hoon
GTR brakes on Pulsar? Frig! Overkill somewhat?

SSS_Hoon
6th November 2008, 11:36 AM
LoL,for some maybe but for me nah not really. the 355mm rotors that i would of put on now that would of been over kill.

There is alot of pulsars out there with the GTR conversion on them

The GTR rotors are machinced down to 290mm from the original 296mm, but that is only so we didnt have to make a custom bracket to mount the caliper on. from the original size of 252mm.

i also now have a different PCD front and rear LoL, front is 4x114.3 and rear is 4x100. as we changed the hubs to fit the brakes.

Fitted with slotted rotors and soon to be braided lines and some decent pads unsure what to get yet though.

Stops heaps good now especailly when warmed up, and the braking is the almost the same feel as before so all is good.

Wanted to paint the calipers red before they were put on, but my dad in his usual hast pace had them already on before i got a chance to paint them.

Once i get my new wheels i will paint them then.

SSS_Hoon

gman
6th November 2008, 01:31 PM
Its funny, the stock G SRi-T came with 308mm rotors and the VXR with 321mm rotors which are pretty big for a car if its size....

Anything over a 330mm disc IMHO on an Astra is overkill...You'd never get them hot enough to work, unless your pumping around Wakefield or Phillip Island...

SSS_Hoon
6th November 2008, 01:59 PM
Its funny, the stock G SRi-T came with 308mm rotors and the VXR with 321mm rotors which are pretty big for a car if its size....

Anything over a 330mm disc IMHO on an Astra is overkill...You'd never get them hot enough to work, unless your pumping around Wakefield or Phillip Island...

Exactly, hence y in another thread i said the VXR calipers (if they are different to the srit) some decent VXR slotted rotors and pads with braided lines and a decent fluid is all you would need.

SSS_Hoon

JohnBu
6th November 2008, 02:01 PM

never doubted the fact it looks better with 19s, however, 19s for the VXR are form over function due to greater weight which adversely affects acceleration and handling.

l would prefer lighter weight smaller rim over a larger rim for a daily driver. don't forget you can get a decent 18inch tyre for $300, but $300 will get you a cheap 19inch tyre

i.e. look at the STi and the EVO, their top spec models have the same diameter rims as the base model, but the top spec ones are lightweight BBS's.

gman
6th November 2008, 02:22 PM
Exactly, hence y in another thread i said the VXR calipers (if they are different to the srit) some decent VXR slotted rotors and pads with braided lines and a decent fluid is all you would need.

SSS_Hoon

100% agree...The VXR calipers and discs bolt straight onto the SRi-T as they use the same hub carrier. The calipers just have a different height for the larger discs.

Was looking at a set of VXR discs for mine rather than a set of fully floating rotors. I have the alloy hats, just a pain to get the rotors to fit....

kabel
6th November 2008, 07:39 PM
never doubted the fact it looks better with 19s, however, 19s for the VXR are form over function due to greater weight which adversely affects acceleration and handling.

l would prefer lighter weight smaller rim over a larger rim for a daily driver. don't forget you can get a decent 18inch tyre for $300, but $300 will get you a cheap 19inch tyre

i.e. look at the STi and the EVO, their top spec models have the same diameter rims as the base model, but the top spec ones are lightweight BBS's.

Form over Function.....Our Sales/Marketting Manager lives by that quote !
Doesn`t matter if it works just as long as it impresses your friends.

You are right though, it should have form and it should function !
I looked into getting BBS wheels in 19`s and using the tyres I already have........it was too hard to justify the cost !

bornwild
6th November 2008, 07:55 PM
I got quoted $800 per wheel for some decent BBS with the Motorsport in the middle ... that's excluding tyres!

Wraith
6th November 2008, 08:12 PM

SSS_Hoon

Yes, I was going to say, what the hell are those guys on about LOL, you'd think they had a V8 HSV Clubbie or something saying 17's won't fit over a VXR's brakes :rolleyes:

As for ventilation, it depends on the style of rim, not the size and many other factors all of which have nothing to do with the rim itself ! < that comment is for Shaun...

bornwild
6th November 2008, 08:46 PM
Ange, are you saying that Shaun with his decades of experience in the automotive industry doesn't know what he's talkibg about?! :eek::eek:

kabel
6th November 2008, 10:23 PM
I got quoted $800 per wheel for some decent BBS with the Motorsport in the middle ... that's excluding tyres!

I think the VXR wheels are about $800 each anyway.
The BBS ones I was linterested in were about $1400 each...way too much money for this little duck !

bornwild
6th November 2008, 10:38 PM
Were they made out of a magnesium alloy or something??

Shaun
7th November 2008, 08:16 AM
Yes, I was going to say, what the hell are those guys on about LOL, you'd think they had a V8 HSV Clubbie or something saying 17's won't fit over a VXR's brakes :rolleyes:

As for ventilation, it depends on the style of rim, not the size and many other factors all of which have nothing to do with the rim itself ! < that comment is for Shaun...

i Think you will find its illegal to fit a smaller size rim then what's fitted from factory with ADR laws.

rjastra
7th November 2008, 08:57 AM
i Think you will find its illegal to fit a smaller size rim then what's fitted from factory with ADR laws.

Dont think thats correct... its illegal to fit tyres with a lower load rating than specified on the tyre placard.

If you want to fit a tyre with a lower speed rating you can as long as a warning notice is applied within eyesight of the driver.

Wraith
7th November 2008, 09:40 AM
Dont think thats correct... its illegal to fit tyres with a lower load rating than specified on the tyre placard.

If you want to fit a tyre with a lower speed rating you can as long as a warning notice is applied within eyesight of the driver.

Correct, load rating is the main one to watch out for with rim/tyre changes...

AFAIK in most states, it's stipulated you can fit up to '2 sizes' larger wheels than stock, but no stipulation on smaller, which means you can fit smaller wheels with no issues - I'm assuming that probably the same rule may apply with smaller sizes, so for a VXR 17's would be ok...

Wraith
7th November 2008, 09:50 AM

BBS wheels = major rip !

I was after a set of BBS LM's a few years back in 19 or 20" and got quotes - ready for this one ???

$2,500ea. rim only for the 19" ie 10k for a set rims only ! yes I told them they could keep em ;)

It dosn't matter if they're using exotic materials, like prestige car brands, you'll always pay a premium or get ripped for 'name' brands of anything !

As you know I've since purchased many sets of 20" rims, some are custom made 3 piece wheels from top end brands, but even they didn't cost anywhere near as much as BBS wheels.

SSS_Hoon
7th November 2008, 10:11 AM
2 sizes bigger is a misconception.

It does state that you can go 2 sizes bigger but it's all about the track width of the car and the rolling diameter they need to be within a certain percantage to stock.

u can get it engineered otherwise though and still be all good.

(this is what it was when i last looked into it awhile ago)

But if the 17's are only for the track then who gives a toss.

SSS_Hoon

Wraith
7th November 2008, 10:40 AM

It does state that you can go 2 sizes bigger but it's all about the track width of the car and the rolling diameter they need to be within a certain percantage to stock.

SSS_Hoon

Yes that's true - it must stay within 4% of original o/a dia.

Low profile tyres will take care of most cases when upsizing.

SSS_Hoon
7th November 2008, 11:17 AM
yeah but imagine going to a 16" rim from a 19" rim lol you would need a massive sidewall and the lighter weight would be lost due to flex/roll.

SSS_Hoon

Wraith
8th November 2008, 01:16 PM
yeah but imagine going to a 16" rim from a 19" rim lol you would need a massive sidewall and the lighter weight would be lost due to flex/roll.

SSS_Hoon

That would be going too far and I for one can't see any benefit of doing that either...unless it was for some strict track requirement ??

dannysport18
8th November 2008, 10:50 PM

you Can run 17's on the VXR no probe :)
my friends son has them on his car

lithium
9th November 2008, 12:14 AM

SSS_Hoon

yes thats my understanding too. when they say '2 sizes up' it doesn't mean much...i think you can go more than a 2 inch increase in rim size without getting engineered, as long as you can still find tyres of the right load rating for that rim size

what's important is (as mentioned)

load rating >= tyre placard min load rating
speed rating can be less than tyre placard min speed rating if you have a warning sticker
*width* of tyre is <= 1.5 inches over the factory tyre width
rolling diameter within X% of factory...something like 2% or 4%

GreyRex
9th November 2008, 04:14 PM
Blah blah blah

Saw one of these at the Holden Dealer in the western burbs of Melb. I think it was the one on Ballarat Road just out of Footscray

Was sitting facing a stock blue VXR on the lot... both were closest to the road; which is a nice change

Not too sure which looked better. The white with those white wheels is just so... different

Anyway, i've seen one now:dance:

rjastra
9th November 2008, 05:38 PM
Not too sure which looked better. The white with those white wheels is just so... different

You dont remember the late 80's early 90s when all white was in fashion :)

Wraith
9th November 2008, 08:07 PM
Blah blah blah

Saw one of these at the Holden Dealer in the western burbs of Melb. I think it was the one on Ballarat Road just out of Footscray

Was sitting facing a stock blue VXR on the lot... both were closest to the road; which is a nice change

Anyway, i've seen one now:dance:

Well, it's about bloody time LOL, :D :p I mean how difficult can it be, they ain't selling, so if you want to see one, just rock up to a typical HSV stealers and it'll be sitting there in their yard ;)

Wraith
9th November 2008, 08:09 PM
You dont remember the late 80's early 90s when all white was in fashion :)

I certainly do and must say that although I absolutely hate this current white or black wheel trend, I was a big fan of the '80's Skylines with their white wheels back then :o