PDA

View Full Version : To Spring or not to Spring

My04SRi
3rd August 2004, 07:29 PM
Hi fellas, i got a quote today for $250.00 to lower my car using my original springs.. i neva heard that b4 but they also said somthing along the lines of recoil system...???? can somone shed some light and gimme an opinion on this..

Mr Cali
3rd August 2004, 07:46 PM
don't do it, sounds like they are going to heat it up and compress them. This is dangerous as your springs arent meant for this not to mention illegal

Degen-Astra
3rd August 2004, 08:25 PM
Agree with Mr Cali here...sounds like they are going to reheat and compress your springs.

Your safety shouldnt be a cheap compromise.

Anonymous
3rd August 2004, 09:22 PM
buy my springs..... i'm thinking of getting lower ones soon. i'll sell half of what they're worth new, and theyve been driven on 5 times, lol. i dont even think they have compressed yet

Degen-Astra
4th August 2004, 10:01 AM
I think MY04SRi has a Barina SRi not Astra. So i dont think it will work.

RK
4th August 2004, 10:15 AM
Don: youre gonna go LOWER than 3" ???

dazza015
4th August 2004, 11:00 AM
PM Dan_Kind about some Eibachs I am pretty sure he can get them for about $350 for the set

Dont quote me though

corsaboy
4th August 2004, 11:22 AM
I spoke to Big O tyres in Moorebank NSW, MyO4SRi and they carry out that same same service of lowering all corners for $250. As Mr Cali quite correctly pointed out they do re-heat any spings and compress them to whatever height you want.

Doing this affects the way in which the spring rate was initially designed for, and will eventually cause them to sag more than off the shelf king springs, jumboz etc.

If you do decide to do it, please keep your original springs just in case. Get another set from wreckers and then go for your life! It's still better than chopping your springs!!! That's even more illegal.

My04SRi
4th August 2004, 11:47 AM
I made my decision.. imma gonna buy aftermarket springs eg. eibachs/king springs etc..

Degen-Astra
4th August 2004, 11:59 AM
See what Dan_Kind can do for you in regards to Eibachs.

rjastra
4th August 2004, 12:35 PM
That's even more illegal.

An interesting concept .. MORE illegal :lol:

corsaboy
4th August 2004, 12:55 PM
That's even more illegal.

An interesting concept .. MORE illegal :lol:You know what I mean... :lol:

Anonymous
4th August 2004, 02:44 PM
RK, I'm thinking of cutting the inner plastic mud guard, having new ones made up and goin 4 inches. I'm still going to be legally 140mm off the ground!

Might as well do it now before buying the following:

K-Mac shocks
K-Mac Camber Kit
Whiteline sway bar

RK
4th August 2004, 03:00 PM
wow. interesting

is yours an astra city?
because those have the ground clearance of 4WDs to start with :)

ultim8DTM5
4th August 2004, 04:47 PM
I know someone who is selling Eibach springs for an Astra G if anyone is interested I can give you his email address. He also has front and rear strut bars (Weichers) and a B&M short shifter

Anonymous
4th August 2004, 05:01 PM
RK you hit the nail on the head.

If my car was say an astra sri-t, I'd predict a 2 inch drop would be more than enough.

BUT NO, holden had to use bloody adventura suspension on the city.....

corsaboy
4th August 2004, 05:14 PM
RK, I'm thinking of cutting the inner plastic mud guard, having new ones made up and goin 4 inches. I'm still going to be legally 140mm off the ground!

Might as well do it now before buying the following:

K-Mac shocks
K-Mac Camber Kit
Whiteline sway bar

Dude watch out with K-Mac, I was down at IS Motor Racing last weekend, which just happens to be around the corner from K-Mac when they were about to install a swaybar in a 180sx. Basically it was found that the damn thing was twisted when placed on the ground, it wouldn't centre properly, so watch out! And Whiteline - make sure they give you the correct brackets, just because it's in a kit doesn't necessarily mean they supplied the correct ones, as I found out the hard way. Had to drive all the way down to Minto! And it still is stuffed. The damn thing is still knocking on the muffler...might remove it altogether :screwy: ...You have been warned mate! 8)

Kate65
4th August 2004, 05:39 PM
Hey corsaboy,

where abouts in sydney r u from?

i'm having troubles installing my swaybar, i wouldn't mind using ur expertise to get it to fit properly.

Kate

Kate65
4th August 2004, 05:42 PM
by the way...i'm not 34...i'm 24

corsaboy
4th August 2004, 05:44 PM
Hey corsaboy,

where abouts in sydney r u from?

i'm having troubles installing my swaybar, i wouldn't mind using ur expertise to get it to fit properly.

KateYeah sure Kate I'll have a look at it for you. I'm somewhere on the Northern Beaches. 8)

Kate65
4th August 2004, 05:46 PM
didn't i see u at the track last weekened at cronulla corsaboy?

corsaboy
4th August 2004, 05:47 PM
Yes :oops:

Kate65
4th August 2004, 05:52 PM
maybe u can take me for a ride in ur barina one day?

Kate65
4th August 2004, 05:54 PM
anyway, i gotta go home...i'll speak to u tomorrow corsaboy

corsaboy
4th August 2004, 05:56 PM
Yeah sure...speak to you tomorrow! 8)

My04SRi
4th August 2004, 08:44 PM
LMAO.. *sighs*

dazza015
5th August 2004, 06:43 AM
:shock: at Kate65's Signature.........