PDA

View Full Version : Tyres... new ones

entice
1st November 2008, 07:55 PM
You probably dont want to know, but I recently got fed up with the stockies on the CDTi.

I managed to source a set of the twin 5 spoke HSV wheels (some people call them this, others cal them "optional" wheels, others call them "the ones that come on the convertible") at the right price.

So.. got new tyres.

Review:

Stock 205/55/16 Michellin Energy
RUBBISH

225/45/17 Bridgestone Re001 Adrenalin
Pretty decent (but not quite as nice as the Re050A's) for something with only 6km's of usage. They're now at 50km's of usage and they're bedding in much nicer. Very tight in teh sidewall on cornering, track more than the Re050's from memory though, but cheaper than the RE050's

Vectracious
1st November 2008, 08:26 PM
but cheaper than the RE050's

Pretty much anything is cheaper than the RE050's - at $380/tyre for 215/45/17 (for the WRX) - it was a little hard to shell out that much cash - considering the Maxxis I got for less than $200 per tyre are just as good as the RE050's (except for the squeal)

entice
1st November 2008, 08:31 PM
at 380 a corner, I'd be looking at a set of RE55s... now that's some serious rubber.

but I disagree in the Maxxis being the same as the 050's... Perhaps in your application which doesnt pose the same demands on a tyre....

Vectracious
1st November 2008, 08:35 PM
but I disagree in the Maxxis being the same as the 050's... Perhaps in your application which doesnt pose the same demands on a tyre....

Did a track day with the RE050's and with the Maxxis - the only thing that I didnt like about the Maxxis is that they heated up a lot more quickly than the Bridgestones - although to be fair, I was pushing them a lot harder than the Bridgestones as well.

But for almost half the price - they were pretty good, and for day to day use - better (less noise)