PDA

View Full Version : Greetings

skeetz
31st October 2008, 10:41 PM
Hey guys,
I bought my lil Astra in about mid August, it's my first nice car :D
Before it I had been driving an '87 Twin Cam Seca (loved this car, went pretty nicely for $1400, engine dropped all the oil and threw a piston), an XD Fairmont Ghia (was my grandad's) and my first car was an LX Torana (I wanted one of these for ages. I had so many plans for it, but wrapped it round a power pole :()
So the Astra is quite a step up. It's a great little car. Comfy, looks good, goes pretty sweet. It's a 2002 SRi.
About a week after I got it, I was parked at Safeway, came out with my shopping, and was all WTF??? ....some ****er had smashed in my tail light!! Lucky there was no panel damage at all. There is a tiny paint mark on the body above the tail light, but I was v.lucky :dance:.

So anyway, I'm sure you don't want any more of my life story. I found the forum while I was looking for info about replacing the tail light, and maybe some suggestions on where to get a pair. I ended up getting some tinted ones shipped down from Queensland.

I'm thinking about doing some mods to the car, just some small performance related ones.
Got some tips about what to look at getting done? Thinking maybe some extractors. The stock exhaust looks pretty pox (don't want one you can fit your head in, just looking for something nice and shiny).
How much would I be looking at for something like this? Somebody suggested Hot Rod's in Bayswater (Victoria).

This is a great forum, I've already spent hours reading member's cars threads, and the guides for stuff like putting 6x9s in the back, timing chain issues, etc etc

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj61/skeetzr/Photo0075.jpg

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj61/skeetzr/Photo0074.jpg

auzvectra
31st October 2008, 11:06 PM
welcome, i'm sure u'll continue to find plenty of helpful info on here ;).

ASTRAY
1st November 2008, 07:52 AM
welcome to opelaus mate :)
plenty of info on here about the astras, and if you cant find some info, just ask, loads of guys n gals on here willing to help.

sooty
1st November 2008, 12:12 PM
Welcome mate
Good to see yet another victorian, check up in the vic forum for upcoming cruises etc, be good to see you there.
If you're willing to look in Bayswater for an exhaust i'm assuming you're prob from the south east burbs, there's a good joint on the corner of thomas st, and ferntree gully rd, can't remember what they're called but i've been recommended to them :)

EDIT: Called Hillside Exhaust and Mechanical

chrissn89
1st November 2008, 03:02 PM
Welcome dude, you'll find everything you need on here, nice little astra and good luck with the mods.

Cheers

btm
3rd November 2008, 10:09 AM
welcome to the site and congrats on the purchase!

skeetz
3rd November 2008, 05:48 PM
Cheers guys, thanks for the welcoming party :D
I think I might start a thread in the member's rides bit so I can ask for some advice on the little upgrades I have planned.

guy 27
3rd November 2008, 06:29 PM
welcome and nice ride you got. enjoy it.

skeetz
11th October 2009, 09:28 PM
I spend a lot of time reading here, and have found so much useful info.
This weekend I have replaced my stock head unit and derestricted my airbox, all thanks to you guys!
My boyfriend finishes uni in a couple of months.....when he starts working again we should have a bit more casholsa.....I'm looking at getting extractors and a better exhaust system.
I have looked up a bit about getting a sway bar in the back...but I drive my car heaps from work, and I don't want to have a really stiff/uncomfortable ride.
What is the consensus? Does it make the car too stiff and bumpy to drive it for long periods?

sooty
11th October 2009, 09:31 PM
I have looked up a bit about getting a sway bar in the back...but I drive my car heaps from work, and I don't want to have a really stiff/uncomfortable ride.
What is the consensus? Does it make the car too stiff and bumpy to drive it for long periods?
I haven't noticed any detrimental effects at all, in fact, makes the drive to uni better as there's no/very little body roll around the corners.:thumbs:

gmonkey
11th October 2009, 09:32 PM
it makes the car great fun to drive, but yeh can be a bit bumpy at times...

post some pics of ur head unit? what did u get?

deristicting the airbox wont do much.. get urself a K&N sports filter to go with it and u will then start to feel the extra horses freed up

skeetz
11th October 2009, 09:50 PM
Ah well the head unit is just one that my uncle had lying around (see the previous msg about having no money heheh :D).
It's a Kenwood KDC-MP6533, and I'm not taking pics because it's not fully pushed into the dash :p....I'm waiting for an iPhone cable to be shipped from Hong Kong. It plugs into the CD stacker control, so I'm not going to bother getting the head untit perfect because I'm just going to pull it out again once the cable gets here.

I'm thinking about replacing the rear speakers with 6x9's next weekend.....the head unit sounds MUCH better than the stock, it's crisp and detailed rather than the dull sound of the stock unit.
Cheapass mods FTW hahah.

gmonkey
11th October 2009, 09:51 PM
the story of a true opel owner :p lol

CNBLU
11th October 2009, 10:58 PM
welcome buddy

skeetz
11th October 2009, 11:37 PM
Hey CNBLU....I think I saw your car a couple of months ago, at the big roundabout on Dandenong-Frankston road. Well I heard, then saw it :D Verrrry nice.

Shay
11th October 2009, 11:40 PM
for 2.2 mods, dont think you can go past brad (daiflu). he has done a fair vit on his lil sri i believe...

CNBLU
11th October 2009, 11:42 PM
The 'Downs' is home and that round-about always gets it:D

corsab
11th October 2009, 11:43 PM
Welcome mate ........
good to see more new ppl joining up ......

nice ride to .....
you will find all the help u need here

Shay
11th October 2009, 11:48 PM
Welcome mate ........
good to see more new ppl joining up ......

nice ride to .....
you will find all the help u need here

lol. he joined a year ago, your the new one :D
welcome to yourself

skeetz
11th October 2009, 11:51 PM
Oki looks like I will be picking up a K&N panel filter this week.

I have a lot of pipe-dreams for this car......POSSIBLY thinking about getting a supercharger onto it (I'm not a fan of turbo band :(). Are there any members here who have done this?

Think I'll spruce up the interior next probably.....fit some fabric on the door cards, get the center console painted and get a nice shift knob :)
I'm thinking a blue theme.....hopefully getting the exterior resprayed black next year :D

skeetz
11th October 2009, 11:52 PM
lol. he joined a year ago, your the new one :D
welcome to yourself
Hhehe someone noticed the thread start date......perhaps I should just start a thread in 'members rides'?

BTW I'm a she, not a he :)

Shay
12th October 2009, 12:09 AM
Hhehe someone noticed the thread start date......perhaps I should just start a thread in 'members rides'?

BTW I'm a she, not a he :)

yeah sorry i realised the he/she mistake after i posted, but cbf editting, lol.
um i think daaaavek is planning a supercharger for his astra, not sure what engine he has, or how far along it is.

Keep'emRunning
12th October 2009, 09:28 AM
..welcome aboard (again) nice ride, love the 3 door G's (very biased in that regard hahah)

Please say it wasn't an LX hatchback you ate the tree with..!

btm
12th October 2009, 09:42 AM
um i think daaaavek is planning a supercharger for his astra, not sure what engine he has, or how far along it is.
he has the same 2.2L and only in early stages i believe

darkirv
12th October 2009, 09:06 PM
oh no poor lx torana

mmahle
13th October 2009, 05:54 PM
I noticed you got your car in Booran Holden, good dealership.
I went to Dandy Exhaust in Dandenong, they're pretty good quality, and they're not expensive ethier. Just a little too loud of mine lol, But I'm pretty sure if your clear with what you want, they can help you out.

Nice car, can't wait to see the transformation...