PDA

View Full Version : Commodores with Chevy badges

tomtom
29th October 2008, 11:18 PM
I know this has been mentioned in some threads before.

I was at a holden dealer yesterday and they had 2 SSV's there with Chevy badges on them for sale. Now i know about poeple rebadging it like that so this wasnt anyhting new to me. What was odd was the front grill looked stock and not like a shotty home-job - it looked manufactured on both of them.

So i assumed "they must sell commodores as chevys in america". Bit odd tho since i thought they were sold under pontiac. Looked up Chevy's site, no commodore.

Whatsup?

Jerram
29th October 2008, 11:20 PM
mm

Quite a few people like to convert them, so perhaps Holden's selling them now with a chevvy badge option..

Be nice if they did that with the Opels..

tomtom
29th October 2008, 11:26 PM
that'd be some fail brand marketing from holden's point of view. God help them if its in the "Accessories" section of their site lol!

Vectracious
29th October 2008, 11:26 PM
They sell them as Chevrolet's in the Middle East - so the badges and grills are genuine GM parts.

tomtom
29th October 2008, 11:28 PM
the mystery is over!!!

Calibrated
29th October 2008, 11:29 PM
Chevrolet Lumina in SA aswell.

Vectracious
29th October 2008, 11:33 PM
here's a pic from their website

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/Vectracious/Opelaus/1L_gallery_big5.jpg

website is http://www.chevroletarabia.com/

only works in IE for some reason and it's v. slow to load.

Wraith
30th October 2008, 09:01 AM
They sell them as Chevrolet's in the Middle East - so the badges and grills are genuine GM parts.

Correct :) and the Middle East also get priority on their orders compared to local demand !

Also to add to the above and the other answers to this mystery, you can 'order' it that way if you want to here in Aust. on any V8 Commodore model ;)

btm
30th October 2008, 09:07 AM
personally, i love the look of a chevy badge on an SS or the like

kirssn
30th October 2008, 09:13 AM
Correct :) and the Middle East also get priority on their orders compared to local demand !

Also to add to the above and the other answers to this mystery, you can 'order' it that way if you want to here in Aust. on any V8 Commodore model ;)

thats right..... you can order the car with the chev parts or order the parts afterwards - it's only a recent thing though in their parts data base - we are in the process of building a vy ss wagon with an LS2 twin turbo in it and we've got the chev grill and rear badge waiting to go on it.

they're relatively cheap to buy as well which is great as well

lithium
30th October 2008, 10:38 AM
yep as mentioned you can get them straight from Holden
i saw brochures for chev grills and badges at the Holden parts department last time i was there

Wraith
30th October 2008, 11:58 AM
thats right..... you can order the car with the chev parts or order the parts afterwards - it's only a recent thing though in their parts data base - we are in the process of building a vy ss wagon with an LS2 twin turbo in it and we've got the chev grill and rear badge waiting to go on it.

they're relatively cheap to buy as well which is great as well

AWESOME project there kirssn - please keep us posted/pics, I'm very interested - have been and still contemplating doing the same myself with a CV8Z Monaro for some time now :)

See what happens with the new car purchase 1st and how much if any 'change' left over...

kirssn
30th October 2008, 01:46 PM
AWESOME project there kirssn - please keep us posted/pics, I'm very interested - have been and still contemplating doing the same myself with a CV8Z Monaro for some time now :)

See what happens with the new car purchase 1st and how much if any 'change' left over...

thats just one of of our cars!!!!

it was bought to replace our current tow car which is for sale and still will be the tow car for one of the other projects but after having a full rebuild, it's my entry for summernats!!!!

will find out if the gear box is ready later this afternoon and if so.... the car will be on the streets heading home saturday afternoon minus the turbo's :)

Wraith
30th October 2008, 02:50 PM
thats just one of of our cars!!!!

it was bought to replace our current tow car which is for sale and still will be the tow car for one of the other projects but after having a full rebuild, it's my entry for summernats!!!!

will find out if the gear box is ready later this afternoon and if so.... the car will be on the streets heading home saturday afternoon minus the turbo's :)

Sounds great - post some pics and numbers once it's all done :)

Tricky Ricky
30th October 2008, 02:57 PM
Looks heaps better than the Holden lion badge is all I can say

EL BURITO
30th October 2008, 04:18 PM
thats right..... you can order the car with the chev parts or order the parts afterwards

and Y cant u do that whith a Astra, Ghay

mek
30th October 2008, 07:09 PM
and Y cant u do that with* a Astra, GhayMaybe because an astra is Euro 4cyl hatch, not a 4 door muscle saloon
but, what i don't get, why cant u chose to opelise your astra at factory?

sooty
31st October 2008, 01:40 PM
Maybe because an astra is Euro 4cyl hatch, not a 4 door muscle saloon
but, what i don't get, why cant u chose to opelise your astra at factory?

i think that's what laurie was talking about, if you can choose to option your commonwhore as a chev, why can't you option your astra as an opel :cool:

Calibrated
31st October 2008, 01:43 PM
i think that's what laurie was talking about, if you can choose to option your commonwhore as a chev, why can't you option your astra as an opel :cool:
probably cheaper to do it yourself

kirssn
31st October 2008, 03:56 PM
and Y cant u do that whith a Astra, Ghay

i've asked this of my friendly holden dealer and the response was.... "the demand is not great enough" which could be the truth because when you look at the number of commodores VT series 2 onwards to now......is much higher than the number of opels in existence in australia......

Hackstra
31st October 2008, 05:10 PM
You see the SS's with the chev badges due to the chevvy under the hood right? and for looks too..

ASTRAY
31st October 2008, 06:21 PM
thats what i was going to say, because the engine is really a chev.
but that doesnt stop the fact that our opels are opels, im sure holden could bring in a box or 2 of opel grilles with each order of cars from opel.
or at least badges...

poita
31st October 2008, 06:26 PM
it would probably be a $1k option knowing them.

OT: guy at work has bought chev badges for his vx, its a factory supercharged v6

kirssn
31st October 2008, 08:10 PM
OT: guy at work has bought chev badges for his vx, its a factory supercharged v6

now that's just wrong...

there is a guy i work with you put the GENIII badges on the side of his vr v6 commodore.... stock with an exhaust and rims......and he wonders why the boys @ holden laughed at him when he went to trade it in....

EL BURITO
31st October 2008, 08:15 PM
u got it mate

just pointing out the stupid-ness of the situation

EL BURITO
31st October 2008, 08:16 PM
OT: guy at work has bought chev badges for his vx, its a factory supercharged v6:snooty::snooty::snooty: