PDA

View Full Version : New MPS 3

rjastra
23rd October 2008, 08:51 AM
http://image.motortrend.com/f/future/spied_vehicles/10941809+pheader/112_0810_01h+2010_mazdaSpeed3+spy_shot_promo.jpg
http://image.motortrend.com/f/10941815/112_0810_03z+2010_mazdaSpeed3+side_action_spy_shot .jpg
http://image.motortrend.com/f/10941818/112_0810_04z+2010_mazdaSpeed3+side_spy_shot.jpg

SSS_Hoon
23rd October 2008, 08:57 AM
looks like it has the same ugly rear lights that the new 6 has.

not a fan of those wheels, although they wouldnt be the ones that they would be using jsut the same size and tires i would say.

looks like they are keeping the TMIC aswell with that scoop on the bonnet

SSS_Hoon

Greg K
23rd October 2008, 09:03 AM
im liking the look of it! they havent changed it too much from the current mazda3.

looks like it has the new rx8 wheels on it, so might not be the those wheels that actually come out on the production model.

AH Sri Turb04
23rd October 2008, 09:42 AM
the scoop at the front seems interesting - does the current mps3 top or front mount??? the new one would surely be a top mount?

rjastra
23rd October 2008, 09:45 AM
The current MPS3 has a top mount intercooler

SSS_Hoon
23rd October 2008, 09:47 AM
MMMM, reading posts above your own seems a skill lacking on forums today....

rj got any performance details on it yet?

SSS_Hoon

Vectracious
23rd October 2008, 09:50 AM

shit day again? :p

I guess Mazda just wanted to complete Subaru's 9/10 attempt to copy the 3 with the new Impreza - so they've added the bonnet scoop to make the two completely identical. :p ;)

AH Sri Turb04
23rd October 2008, 09:51 AM

rj got any performance details on it yet?

SSS_Hoon

sorry i didnt know TMIC = top mount intercooler....

some of us aren't completely upto scratch with car knowledge etc!

SSS_Hoon
23rd October 2008, 09:55 AM
LoL, nah not really not yet anyway, although it will be i can see it, as i had not much sleep last night.....:p

The scoop could just be a disguise to make ppl think it is a WRX testing LoL.

As there was plenty of room for a FMIC in the last one and should be in this one too by the looks of it. Doubt it will have a FMIC though, as its cheaper for them to put the TMIC.

AH its all good no worries M8 :D

SSS_Hoon

Vectracious
23rd October 2008, 10:01 AM
The scoop could just be a disguise to make ppl think it is a WRX testing LoL.

True - they did put a lot of effort into designing the bonnet of the 3 and 6 MPS's to get enough airflow without the bonnet scoop - doesnt really make sense to go back to using one (although it does make the bonnets look a bit weird - especially the 6MPS)

D@N
23rd October 2008, 10:03 AM
Mazda are testing at the Nurburgring??

Vectracious
23rd October 2008, 10:14 AM
Mazda are testing at the Nurburgring??

why wouldn't they?

rjastra
23rd October 2008, 10:26 AM
Performance figures are in for the new 2009 WRX from the USA (the one that was also released at the Sydney Motorshow)... It's faster than a STi!

0-60mph in 4.7 seconds. I reckon add another 0.5sec or so for 0-100km/h.

USC
23rd October 2008, 10:37 AM
Those pics are crap. You guys should buy the new wheel magazine edition and check out the new gen Mazda 3 sp25 sedan..sex on wheels.:D..this car is so hot...dual exhaust..nice.....

whats wrong with those rear lights....they look awesome..mazdas seem to have the best looking rear light out of many cars like lancer, corolla, civic, astra, golf...etc.

JohnBu
23rd October 2008, 10:46 AM
can we have a MPS3 sedan?

not a fan of the wagon style hatches.

however, from those photos there doesn't appear to be much difference between the old MPS3 and new one.

Hackstra
23rd October 2008, 10:52 AM
SP25 is just the sport version really, like the old SP23, MPS is only hatch

SSS_Hoon
23rd October 2008, 10:53 AM
Those pics are crap. You guys should buy the new wheel magazine edition and check out the new gen Mazda 3 sp25 sedan..sex on wheels.:D..this car is so hot...dual exhaust..nice.....

whats wrong with those rear lights....they look awesome..mazdas seem to have the best looking rear light out of many cars like lancer, corolla, civic, astra, golf...etc.

your joking right?

The new lights on the new mazda 6 are just a joke and are so damm wrong its not funny.

But i guess that is the brilliance in being a individual, we all have our own tastes and dis likes (thank goodness if you ask me LoL:D)

SSS_Hoon

Hackstra
23rd October 2008, 11:07 AM
Yeah not a fan of the new 6 taillights. But I am a fan of the good old digimods.co.uk. People can make any car look hot, love this mazda 6.

http://digimods.co.uk/images/Virtualcarimages/cars/mazda6.jpg

bornwild
23rd October 2008, 11:11 AM
Do not like the new mazda3 at all...they've gone the "let's please the ricers" way

Wraith
23rd October 2008, 11:35 AM
Nice pics rj. I like it alot... :)

Have seen others as Calibrated mentioned in certain magazines over the past few months and this new Mazda 3 range is definitely going to be one sexy looking car ;)

As others have pointed out, I'm a little 'sus' about the bonnet scoop - but it looks good in the pics and if they decide to go that way - awesome, only it'll resemble the rex too much...

Twin exhaust tips out back or quads are a common thing now, so no surprises with that one...

Styling and curvature lines along its flanks resemble alot of the new 6 and 2 styling, again no surprises, looks very good IMO :)

Now to await for the technical numbers on the car - no doubt it'll be impressive...

sooty
23rd October 2008, 11:48 AM
Do not like the new mazda3 at all...they've gone the "let's please the ricers" way

+1, Ugly as sin, just my 2c ;)

Vectracious
23rd October 2008, 11:58 AM
a lot of cars are coming out pretty blingy lately - look at the XR FG Falcon models.

JR
23rd October 2008, 01:07 PM
the all new mazda3...official pics here (http://www.caradvice.com.au/17440/all-new-mazda-3-official-image-reveal-2008-aims/).

i don't mind it :)

JohnBu
23rd October 2008, 01:32 PM
apart from the rear lights, the car looks pretty damn good for a $20k car.

wonder what specs the new MPS3 will have.

Wraith
23rd October 2008, 01:37 PM
apart from the rear lights, the car looks pretty damn good for a $20k car.

wonder what specs the new MPS3 will have.

Yes, the numbers I'm also keen to see :)

My guess/estimates from factory - 210kw/430nm - 0-100km/h 5.8sec :)

And that's the lowest I reckon they'll be, if higher I wouldn't be surprised at all...

poita
23rd October 2008, 01:43 PM
hmmmm dont mind it all all.
i hope they've done something with the interior though.
the new mazda 6 interior is horrid

rjastra
23rd October 2008, 02:04 PM
Wheels has a prelim drive of the Mazda 3 test mules. Great steering etc etc but little improvement in the bugbear of the current Mazda3 - NOISE.

Wraith
23rd October 2008, 03:41 PM
the all new mazda3...official pics here (http://www.caradvice.com.au/17440/all-new-mazda-3-official-image-reveal-2008-aims/).

i don't mind it :)

Looks very nice, I definitely like it :)

Always knew it end up looking like a smaller version of the 6, just like the last models...

Mazda are very clever, they know they're onto a good thing and a top seller, so they've stuck to the same winning formula for their new models ;)

Any info on TD variants at all ??

bornwild
23rd October 2008, 03:53 PM
That car was sooo designed for the yanks

rjastra
23rd October 2008, 04:14 PM
TD = 110kw/320Nm I think. Our Mazda 3 td wont get the high power version of the engine found in the Mazda 6.

We also wont get the DI version of the 2L petrol engine. base models will get normal port injection 2L engine. SP25 will get the 2.5L engine out of the Mazda 6.

Apparently no weight increase with this model. Then again neither has the Golf VI.

*** did I post performance figures for the new 2009 Wrx? 0-60mph in 4.7 seconds! faster than a STI

Wraith
23rd October 2008, 05:04 PM
That car was sooo designed for the yanks

If you read the sales statistics, you could say it was designed for Australians, since it's a sales success here BW - in fact it's a World wide sales success, so therefore not just for yank tastes ;)

Wraith
23rd October 2008, 05:10 PM
TD = 110kw/320Nm I think. Our Mazda 3 td wont get the high power version of the engine found in the Mazda 6.

We also wont get the DI version of the 2L petrol engine. base models will get normal port injection 2L engine. SP25 will get the 2.5L engine out of the Mazda 6.

Apparently no weight increase with this model. Then again neither has the Golf VI.

*** did I post performance figures for the new 2009 Wrx? 0-60mph in 4.7 seconds! faster than a STI

Thanks for that, TD still sounds ok rj...will we be getting the TD variants ??

Good to see some new model releases maintaining or reducing rather that the usual trend of increasing weight ! great effort :clap:

Yes, rj you did post the '09 Wrx performance - sounds fantastic for the base rex model, back to being a bang for bucks champ !!!

2009 is shaping up to be quite an interesting year for new car releases, so much good depth and variety to choose from :)

So curious to see how the economic climate will play out on the car market over the next 12 months...hopefully as I've mentioned it'll be a time where good discounts can be had :)

bornwild
23rd October 2008, 06:46 PM
Ange, I'm saying fromn looking at the car...it was designed for yanks and I don't recall the 3 being such a sales success....I don't see any more 3s than Astras on the roads...any links?

poita
23rd October 2008, 06:59 PM
any links to prove it isnt BW?

you seem to be able to shoot holes in everyones stories, yet cant provide any evidence of it urself

bornwild
23rd October 2008, 07:02 PM
Nah not trying to be factual it's just that I don't see that many

Greg K
23rd October 2008, 07:39 PM
Nah not trying to be factual it's just that I don't see that many

well the facts have it that Holden has sold 11,646 Astras and Mazda has sold 22,990 Mazda3's in this calendar year alone... so it is that many!! nearly double!

http://www.autonews.net.au/static/vfacts/2008august/marque_model.pdf

bornwild
23rd October 2008, 07:45 PM
Wow that must be outside Melbourne?!?!

stewy
23rd October 2008, 08:13 PM
i would believe that, seem everywhere you look there are mazda3's though never seem to see many new astra's (lots of the older G model)

Vectracious
23rd October 2008, 08:23 PM
How many of either you "reckon" you see is not exactly the most scientific/unbiased approach to gauge sales figures :p

stewy
23rd October 2008, 08:27 PM
How many of either you "reckon" you see is not exactly the most scientific/unbiased approach to gauge sales figures :p

oh damn really, and thought the world revolved around me :eek::p:D

bornwild
23rd October 2008, 08:41 PM

well what can I say :D

Wraith
23rd October 2008, 09:12 PM
Ange, I'm saying fromn looking at the car...it was designed for yanks and I don't recall the 3 being such a sales success....I don't see any more 3s than Astras on the roads...any links?

BW the link put up by JR on the 2nd page of this thread had figures noted on it LOL :)

Read for yourself http://www.caradvice.com.au/17440/all-new-mazda-3-official-image-reveal-2008-aims/

Plus you can look it up anywhere...

If you read the weekly cars guide lift out - it always shows the monthly sales stats and without fail, the Mazda 3 has been near the top end of sales numbers since it was 1st released in early '04 right up until the present day !!! ;)

How can you possibly not see many around LOL - I see literally dozens and could probably count up to a hundred on a single day - they're everywhere !!! :)

USC
23rd October 2008, 11:13 PM
Wheels has a prelim drive of the Mazda 3 test mules. Great steering etc etc but little improvement in the bugbear of the current Mazda3 - NOISE.

DUDE..when r u gona shut up about the noise? I can assure you the current Mazda 3 has less road noise than my previous AH sri-t.

The rear lights look nice:p...different. but definitely nicer than the "wagon" rear lights of the TS astra...hahaha

Shaun
23rd October 2008, 11:28 PM
DUDE..when r u gona shut up about the noise? I can assure you the current Mazda 3 has less road noise than my previous AH sri-t.

The rear lights look nice:p...different. but definitely nicer than the "wagon" rear lights of the TS astra...hahaha

Tyres can fix noise........ Astra TS SRi T had noise issues which were caused by tyres. Change the rubber and amazing alot less then before......

As for the 3 Not out selling the Astra Bornsoft.... They out sell them and Marketshare figure are the proof of this.. (I am sure though you will have some stupid answer to this being doctored somewhere by the Australian Media.)

The New Mazda 3 looks quite Nice. Alot of Style about it. Cant wait to see the MPS3 uncovered in the future. One things for sure. Mazda have a better looking small hatch then Subaru atm.

the Platform is capable of binging used as an AWD . It could be very interesting if they were to Addopt an AWD set up on the MPS3.

If they do add the scoop to the production model then this will help with the car breathing alot cooler then the current design which works effectively from what ive heard but still cause a fair amount of heat sink into the intercooler .

rjastra
24th October 2008, 12:25 AM

Dude... I had a TS SRI and test drove a SP23. The SP23 was noticeable noiser, even at city speeds... So pull ya head in :)

the Platform is capable of binging used as an AWD . It could be very interesting if they were to Addopt an AWD set up on the MPS3.

It can? Its one of the reasons the Focus RS is not going to be AWD ( Focus shares the Mazda 3 and Volvo C30 chassis)

bornwild
24th October 2008, 12:42 AM
How can you possibly not see many around LOL - I see literally dozens and could probably count up to a hundred on a single day - they're everywhere !!! :)

That's probably the very reason I don't even notice them....they're freakin boring!

USC
24th October 2008, 01:21 AM
apart from tyre noise on the ah, it had rear suspension noise...:mad: and wind noise through the door at high speed:mad::mad:

anyways...noise = man`s car:D..u dont want it too quiet.:p

USC
24th October 2008, 01:23 AM
That's probably the very reason I don't even notice them....they're freakin boring!

softy baby, your comments bore me to death.

Shaun
24th October 2008, 06:21 AM
Dude... I had a TS SRI and test drove a SP23. The SP23 was noticeable noiser, even at city speeds... So pull ya head in :)

It can? Its one of the reasons the Focus RS is not going to be AWD ( Focus shares the Mazda 3 and Volvo C30 chassis)

Also the S40 / V50 shares the same platform. And Volvo have an AWD variant in both of them models. Therefore the Platform is very capable of being an AWD. Mazda have the Technology from the MPS 6.

Greg K
24th October 2008, 08:23 AM

agreed... the SP23 does incur quite a bit of road noise on new tyres. My fiancees experianced this also. However, once the tyres were worn in (say 5000 kms) the noise dropped incredibly. and as Shaun said, this can be better improved when selecting new tyres.

rjastra
24th October 2008, 09:14 AM
Also the S40 / V50 shares the same platform. And Volvo have an AWD variant in both of them models. Therefore the Platform is very capable of being an AWD. Mazda have the Technology from the MPS 6.

they also did a concept C30 with AWD. Unfortunately to fit the awd drivetrain it ends up jacking the car UP about 30mm. Hardly conclusive to building a hot hatch ;)

DirtyHarry
24th October 2008, 01:27 PM
ahh **** the new mazda 3 rear lights looked ****ed. just like the 6.
the front is so so, kinda similar to the rx8

USC
24th October 2008, 01:39 PM
ahh **** the new mazda 3 rear lights looked ****ed. just like the 6.
the front is so so, kinda similar to the rx8

Admin, can you please delete this...abusive language and useless post.

Vectracious
24th October 2008, 01:44 PM
Admin, can you please delete this...abusive language and useless post.

There's a lot worse posts on this forum than DirtyHarrys.....

USC
24th October 2008, 03:20 PM

lol:D

Wraith
24th October 2008, 03:37 PM

+ 2

Hahahaha LOL yes, that's for sure :D

rusole21
31st October 2008, 04:55 PM
Always been a big fan of the mps3! But dont like the new shape goin to a open bonnet scoop. Too similar to the wrx. I read they did this to get proper airflow over the tmic. Shame really as i loved the old bonnet. Mind you going with this style of bonnet should save about 20kg. Mps3s bonnets are soo heavy!

Also heard they werent adding more power as they said it was at the limits of what you would want for a front driver. Which i tottally agree with. They are already limiting touque in 1st and 2nd. Think they said they were tryin to make it smoother. So yeah, copying the wrx is the go today it seems...

DirtyHarry
31st October 2008, 06:29 PM
the rear lights are still hideous.

SSS_Hoon
31st October 2008, 06:38 PM
the rear lights are still hideous.

yep

SSS_Hoon