PDA

View Full Version : Potential Owner

stewy
22nd October 2008, 01:46 PM
Hi guys,

Nice forum, as the title says not a owner yet, more in the early stages of looking to upgrade my current ride (nissan pulsar) Am looking to stay with the 2.0+ Ltr motor, but really the main point of the car will be for daily commute and minor weekends away, so not really going to be my toy per say thats why i have a road and track bike which are my fun toys, but yeah don't want something dull to commute in either.

So here comes my question, having never owned a turbo car before, how much extra maintance is there, compared to a normal engine. How do standard sri and sri-t compare performance wise.... what sort of things should i be looking out for on both models (oh yeah btw it's not the newer shape models i am looking at either). I hear timing chains are a problem for the astra?

Anyway any feedback or advice from you guys would be great.

Cheers stewy:)

sooty
22nd October 2008, 01:51 PM
Welcome mate,
Looking at G's (the older model) you won't have trouble finding one, the market is pretty flooded with them. As you've said the timing belt and water pump are common things to go but should be fixed at the 60k service. The owners here don't really seem to have many problems with them at all.
Difference between the n/a 2.2 and the turbo is such that many of the drivers with the 2.2 wished they bought the turbo after having driven it. You can pick one up pretty cheap and you'd have a sweet daily driver.
Other guys will tell you more soon i have no doubt :cool:

sadavidsriturbo
22nd October 2008, 02:02 PM
yeah dont get the 2.2 if you dont have to eg Ps $$ ect i borrowed my friends 2.2 did not like it at all ;)

stewy
22nd October 2008, 02:08 PM
yeah i am not on restrictions or anything like that.....what sort of $$$ would be a fair price for the turbo models?

As again depends on maintance required as well, as thats one of my main concerns has a turbo and using it as a daily.....

sooty
22nd October 2008, 02:10 PM
The turbo drivers will be able to further clarify, but the maintenance isn't that far above that of a n/a petrol.
As for prices, check on carsales, seen turbos going for as cheap as like $13,500 of late..

bluemuppet
22nd October 2008, 05:21 PM
I am yet to even make the 3000km service in my 2.0 SRi-T, but will certainly let you know how it all adds up along the way. So far, the car has been an absolute blast to drive around. I am using it mostly for to/from work each day and it's a nice smooth ride in traffic, but can bust a nut when you need to overtake/corner. The t-steer is a little disconcerting (not used to a fwd), but very easy to deal with.

PaulyJ
22nd October 2008, 07:15 PM
For a good Astra G SRiT, you're looking around the $20K mark.
Should have low km and immaculate for that price.
Astra H SRiT, I've seen going for as low as $25K.

All the technical questions I'll leave to the turbo members here.

auzvectra
22nd October 2008, 07:21 PM
the sri-t is a great car, and small mods are pretty cheap.
in stock form they pull great, and with a lil work they are very impressive.

dont be dis-illusioned by the hype of maintenance. people always go on saying opels cost lots to maintain, but if you look for the parts in the right place then it's fine.
the only things with the car are, the waterpump and full timing belt kit every 60K, and the coil pack can sometimes die, some die at like 80K ect, others dont at all ;).
if you do get 1, i'm sure you wont be disapointed.

chrissn89
23rd October 2008, 01:10 PM
Get the turbo man, and awesome car. You've gotta at least test drive one :D

guy 27
23rd October 2008, 03:37 PM
The 2.2 N/A Sri can go quite hard with the right modifications if you wanted to go down that track.

stewy
23rd October 2008, 06:28 PM
wow, thanks for your thought guys, yeah some test drives will be in order over the coming weeks....

About the price, like in this thread i have seen them from about 14 right the way through to about 20 this is a pretty big price difference, are these models not in high demend, hence reason for lower prices? Any guess as to why the huge difference in prices

lithium
23rd October 2008, 06:35 PM
yes drive both...i think you'll find the SRiT is in a different class

i'm guessing that you are coming from the SR20 Pulsar SSS? a 2.2 SRi is ballpark performance to the SSS, SRiT completely different (in a good way) :)

sooty
23rd October 2008, 06:54 PM
wow, thanks for your thought guys, yeah some test drives will be in order over the coming weeks....

About the price, like in this thread i have seen them from about 14 right the way through to about 20 this is a pretty big price difference, are these models not in high demend, hence reason for lower prices? Any guess as to why the huge difference in prices

Price difference will be due to km and quality. As said for $20k the thing will be practically in mint condition, or at least it should be. As for $14k, like with everything else, you'll get what you pay for. Just make sure to go and check them out and find the bargain ;)

stewy
23rd October 2008, 07:37 PM
yes drive both...i think you'll find the SRiT is in a different class

i'm guessing that you are coming from the SR20 Pulsar SSS? a 2.2 SRi is ballpark performance to the SSS, SRiT completely different (in a good way) :)

yep the pulsar has the SR20 in it hence why i don't want to go backwards in size, imo it's about as small as you want to go in a 4cyc.

Ah well good to have some sort of rough comparison between the 2.2 and the sr, though the more i read about the srit i think that will be the way i go :)

sadavidsriturbo
23rd October 2008, 07:45 PM
yep the pulsar has the SR20 in it hence why i don't want to go backwards in size, imo it's about as small as you want to go in a 4cyc.

Ah well good to have some sort of rough comparison between the 2.2 and the sr, though the more i read about the srit i think that will be the way i go :)

Good shit.... Go the turbo!!