PDA

View Full Version : Matt look 'colour overs' - Gold R35 GT-R

Wraith
22nd October 2008, 01:18 PM
Ok, I could've put this in the GT-R thread, but it's a topic all of its own :)

You may recall about a month or so ago I put up some pics of a matt black Ferrari 599 GTB and then other people put up pics of other car types which have also been done the same way by an all over polymer film covering similar to that used on car surfaces to provide protection from scratches and stonechips, but in clear form.

I think most of you have seen the GT-R in matt black withthis film, well now here's one in matt gold...it looks nice IMHO - this film cover over is starting to become more and more common and it looks like it's expanding to alot of colours, not just matt black...

If anyone has/finds any other examples, add them on to this thread :)

http://i35.tinypic.com/2eyyjup.jpg

http://i34.tinypic.com/5caek4.jpg

Edit:
Just found another - this time a combination of matt green and matt black...yeesh...prefer the all matt black and the above gold one, don't like the one below, but each to their own...

http://i34.tinypic.com/3483ont.jpg

btm
22nd October 2008, 01:36 PM
that gold looks horrible IMO

dont mind the dual-tone though

sooty
22nd October 2008, 01:46 PM
that gold looks horrible IMO

dont mind the dual-tone though
Complete opposite lol, like the gold, green looks terrible :p

lithium
22nd October 2008, 02:17 PM
not really a fan, i think Nissan got it right with the factory silver and black

the gold one looks like a 350Z and the green one looks like one of those lime-coloured Focus RS's :(

Wraith
22nd October 2008, 02:51 PM
Complete opposite lol, like the gold, green looks terrible :p

That's exactly what I think too :)

Each to his own...

One thing about any of these 'cover overs' that fascinates me, is how good a job they do - I'm impressed...

I've seen very close up pics of the black GT-R and you can see it in the pics above of the gold one too, they look exactly the same or as good as a top spray job...no tiny tight bits left out anywhere, no start or stopping lines and every contour followed perfectly... :)

bornwild
22nd October 2008, 02:59 PM
So how much does it cost to do?

Wraith
23rd October 2008, 12:30 PM
So how much does it cost to do?

Not sure BW ???

So far all the ones I've seen have been in various O/S Countries, none here in Aust.

In all the literature I've read, none of the owners have stated costs...

If I were to guess I'd say it's not cheap at all, if you compare it to the clear protective cover overs done locally here, which use the same kind of film and application method, a typical front bar and bonnet lip costs anywhere from $250-$500 to do...so a whole car will end up costing thousands, pretty much the same as getting a re-spray !

Tricky Ricky
23rd October 2008, 01:09 PM
I like the gold as well, as for the green, it's shocking to do that to such as nice car :o

I'm guessing it's gonna be very expensive to maintain. Say if the car gets scratched or dinged, it's gonna be a b1tch to repair that :o

btm
23rd October 2008, 01:49 PM
i think the green is mint :rolleyes:

poita
23rd October 2008, 01:59 PM
boom tish!

i honeslty dont think any of the matt looks work at all.
only the black one, all the others dont look right

Wraith
23rd October 2008, 03:35 PM
A thought that just came to my mind - I wonder what colour that gold GT-R was to begin with ?? and whether or not the gold film has been carried over into the door joints/sills/engine bay etc. ??

It'd look crap otherwise...I can only visualise black looking half decent in the engine bay, door joints etc. with that gold colour on the exterior...

bornwild
23rd October 2008, 06:47 PM
Okay, what about the long term effects of the adhesive on the paintjob underneath? Does it bite into the paint under the effects of sun/heat/cold etc.?

stewy
23rd October 2008, 08:16 PM
not a fan of either for the whole car

Wraith
23rd October 2008, 09:20 PM
Okay, what about the long term effects of the adhesive on the paintjob underneath? Does it bite into the paint under the effects of sun/heat/cold etc.?

Good question BW...

The only thing I've read up on that aspect of it is the longer it stays on, the harder it is to remove - but it can be removed without causing any damage to the paint...albeit would have to be done by someone who knows what they're doing !