PDA

View Full Version : Petrol under $1/L

btm
21st October 2008, 04:43 PM
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/1-petrol-sparks-havoc/2008/10/21/1224351223097.html

sooty
21st October 2008, 04:49 PM
Why would you wait in queue for 2.5 hours to save like, $20, you'd use a considerable amount of fuel just idling there.
As for people getting angry at them putting the price back up, they had no obligation to put it down in the first place, and they were still cheaper than elsewhere, people just like to whinge:rolleyes:

Calibrated
21st October 2008, 04:50 PM
shit.

well considering the crude price, petrol should be waaay down. BUT it doesnt help that the AUD saw its ass :(

Vectracious
21st October 2008, 04:52 PM
Love how the paper only interviewed the people that missed out - not the hunderds of others who probably got a cheap tank of petrol :rolleyes:

btm
21st October 2008, 04:53 PM
Love how the paper only interviewed the people that missed out - not the hunderds of others who probably got a cheap tank of petrol :rolleyes:

wouldnt have sounded like a good story otherwise!

lithium
21st October 2008, 05:07 PM
that's hilarious, especially people complaining 'they shouldn't be allowed to raise the price back up!'. i wonder at the person who thinks 2.5 hours of their own time is worth the $10 they would save from cheap petrol

though i'm a bit disappointed the SMH stooped to those levels...this is something i'd expect from today tonight

bornwild
21st October 2008, 06:52 PM
Wow...some people are really desperate

Shaun
21st October 2008, 07:54 PM
Wow...some people are really desperate

You are a tool. With the way Interest rates are atm and considering the world is a financal crisis at the moment i think it was quite reasonable that people lined up for it...Also seeing as you dont know the areas arround blacktown theres no wonder that people were lined up for 2.5 hours. There are quite a lot of new estates surrounding Blacktown with many young familys and Mortgage over the 600k mark. ( ie Kellyville Quakers hill etc)

I say good work to the service stations who did this. Just proves how much we are being stung by the Major players in the scheme of things.

Shaun
21st October 2008, 07:59 PM
that's hilarious, especially people complaining 'they shouldn't be allowed to raise the price back up!'. i wonder at the person who thinks 2.5 hours of their own time is worth the $10 they would save from cheap petrol

though i'm a bit disappointed the SMH stooped to those levels...this is something i'd expect from today tonight

It is when home owners are struggling with higher interest rates. $10 more in the family budget could be the difference between having a mortgage payment or having a sunday roast for the family or taking the kids to maccas for a treat..

Shaun
21st October 2008, 08:04 PM
This could just be what the doctor ordered. Why dont the small privately owned servo's band together and drop there prices even if it was to be a 20% drop. They may loose out on Gross profit but they will gain the Volume. And the Volume will still be at decent because its human nature to purchase cheaper fuel .

Time for the privately owned servos to hit the big companys back .

bornwild
21st October 2008, 08:19 PM
Dude...spending 2.5hrs away from a paying job in order to save $15-$20 is not a smart thing to do during crisis times.

You, Shaun, have just been owned....again

sooty
21st October 2008, 08:28 PM
I can feel sorry to a point for people who are under the pump, but for new familys to have a $600k mortgage is their own fault. They've gone in way too deep and have over commited.
They brought it on themselves.
You should never be on such a tight budget that an interest rate hike will be the end of you. :cool:

Shaun
21st October 2008, 08:29 PM
Dude...spending 2.5hrs away from a paying job in order to save $15-$20 is not a smart thing to do during crisis times.

You, Shaun, have just been owned....again

Not everyone would have been away from a paid job. What about the mothers and fathers who possibly could have been driving to drop the kids off at day care. What about those who are home makers who would have heard about it on the news or there other half possibly rang them and told them run down and fill the car up as it's cheaper atm.

Again the Media has only shown ONE person who was waiting. NOT everyone was on there way to work thats for sure.

Were you there to actually interview everyone for that matter gather a percentage of what people were doing on Sunnyholt road at the time?

I think not.

Then again when you drive a *Cough*" Highly tuned Astra " *Cough* then i guess you wouldnt need to be running down to by cheap fuel would you tosser. You are a complete wanker........

rjastra
21st October 2008, 08:34 PM
I am assuming the petrol station owners made a (huge)loss on every litre sold.

Have to agree with Bornwild. Anyone who would queue for hours for a $10-20 saving on a tank of petrol is mad mad mad.

As for interest rates.... they have dropped close to 1.5% in the last month or so.

bornwild
21st October 2008, 08:35 PM
Well, shouldn't people who are ohh so stretched out financially have priorities other than petrol? Public transport is quite efficient and I don't recall having to buy petrol whilst using a bus or train.

Shaun, if ever I have seen a moron, you'd be the Mother Theresa of all of them

Shaun
21st October 2008, 08:35 PM
I can feel sorry to a point for people who are under the pump, but for new familys to have a $600k mortgage is their own fault. They've gone in way too deep and have over commited.
You should never be on such a tight budget that an interest rate hike will be the end of you. :cool:

True about over commiting. I understand that. But lets face it. Most young couples between the age of 25-35 are purchasing big house. (in sydney that is) Most are spending between 350k-600k as an avarage to get anything decent in they boom of the Sydney Market. Now the prices have dropped off Interest rates have rised and now they are stuck . Nothing really they can do. Some Houses on the market where i am have dropped between 40k-100k and still havent sold.

bornwild
21st October 2008, 08:37 PM

I don't think any normal being would go into a $600k mortgage unless they had $250k+ income annually...is there anyone that stupid??

ps. business mortgages aside!

bornwild
21st October 2008, 08:38 PM
Shaun...interest rates have dropped....do you have a TV(television) at home?

Shaun
21st October 2008, 08:39 PM
I don't think any normal being would go into a $600k mortgage unless they had $250k+ income annually...is there anyone that stupid??

ps. business mortgages aside!

Do your homework moron. Sydney property maket in its boom had an avarage mortgage of around $350k-550k. And thats Just and Avarage.(350k in sydney would purchase a 3 bedroom home . Decent size yard and the house would be between the 10-15 year make in age)

Shaun
21st October 2008, 08:40 PM
Shaun...interest rates have dropped....do you have a TV(television) at home?

1.5% is nothing compared to the hike the have had for the last two years . Yes it's bought some relief to home owners . But not as much as it was say 5 years ago.
getting back to the topic at hand :

So what if they lined up for 2.5 hours. I see why the Service station in question has done it. And i support there course 100%. Small business is being swallowed up. I commend them for having the balls to do something out there. Instead of sitting back and saying " well were licked and lets sell to on of the large petroluem companys out there.

bornwild
21st October 2008, 08:43 PM
People earn a lot more money than they did 5yrs ago Shaun. You obviously don't grasp the basics of economy so no worries there.

But I doubt that anyone would have to make their 1st home be a house in freakin Bondi....you can get a house in the outer suburbs for $250 - $300k easy even in Sydney and even when the housing market was at it's peak...

Shaun
21st October 2008, 08:46 PM
I am assuming the petrol station owners made a (huge)loss on every litre sold.

Have to agree with Bornwild. Anyone who would queue for hours for a $10-20 saving on a tank of petrol is mad mad mad.

As for interest rates.... they have dropped close to 1.5% in the last month or so.

Why do you say they would have made a loss?

They may have not made the Gross Profit as they would have by leaving it up at the normal price. But the volume they sold would have been a lot more then normal. And what sticks in peoples minds is " ill buy from them again" more then likelyn you will find they will now price there fuel under the larger servivce stations in the area which will intern bring volume with a small profit but may just be able to keep them in business and cause more turn over then before.

sooty
21st October 2008, 08:48 PM
:help::offtopic::lamor:
lol...stop fighting for the point of fighting lol. Max 5 post fights in all threads i reckon :D
Good on this bloke for lowering his prices, i'm sure he made a lot of people happy at his own expense:cool:

Shaun
21st October 2008, 08:51 PM
People earn a lot more money than they did 5yrs ago Shaun. You obviously don't grasp the basics of economy so no worries there.

But I doubt that anyone would have to make their 1st home be a house in freakin Bondi....you can get a house in the outer suburbs for $250 - $300k easy even in Sydney and even when the housing market was at it's peak...

To give you an example. The Suburbs on the outskirt of the sydney Metro area Such as Harrington Park. (Located in the South West of Sydney)
Glenmore Park (Located in Sydney's West in Penrith region IE the foot of the Blue Mountains)
Kellyville (Norwest/Blacktown area.)

2 years ago where the avarage price were between ($350-550k) mark.

Reveby in sydney Mid southwest. (located near bankstown) with homes close to 30-40 years old were bring 400k.

Getting back on topic now.

The Service station in question has just scored a shit load of free publicity for there efforts. So if there was any lose in profit it will be cancelled out as its been all over the news and everyone in the local area will know which one it is and will watch the prices there now. Meaning there volume in sales now have the protental to increase.

Not too bad for dropping the the price down really.

bornwild
21st October 2008, 08:54 PM
I love you Shaun

Vectracious
21st October 2008, 09:16 PM
Anyone with a servo like to give us an idea of what their margin's are?

I'm guessing selling petrol at $1 to stick it up the companies and supermarkets will make a lot of independants close down pretty quick

Wraith
21st October 2008, 09:24 PM

Good points above D145 BUT to be fair it all depends on when and what their individual circumstances were at the time of adopting such a huge mortgage ;)

This current economic climate could've caught alot of people off guard ! most people never saw this coming even only a month ago...so it wouldn't have been their fault if it's adversely affected them now through a jobs loss or something of that nature...

I do totally agree with your last 2 lines there above - being a home owner and having had mortgages myself over the past 2 decades that if your going to be severely affected by an interest hike on a certain mortgage amount, then drop down to a lower amount from the beginning !!! common sense really as everybody would surely know that 'in normal times' interest rates always rise over time ;)

lithium
21st October 2008, 09:24 PM
It is when home owners are struggling with higher interest rates. $10 more in the family budget could be the difference between having a mortgage payment or having a sunday roast for the family or taking the kids to maccas for a treat..

Shaun, i am a home owner with a mortgage. are you?

as a home owner with a mortgage, i can tell you an extra $10 a month makes diddy squat of difference. you can save that much by taking sandwiches to work for two days in a row instead of eating out.

which is, by the way, a much more sensible way to save $10 than to queue in a line for two hours for cheap petrol.

if you are stretched so tight that $10 a month makes a massive difference - why on earth are you still running a car? sell the damn car, and use public transport!

if you have taken on a $600k mortgage and can't hack a few interest rate rises - who's fault is that?

really :rolleyes:
anyway, i thought this was a car forum...

Wraith
21st October 2008, 09:28 PM
Shaun, i am a home owner with a mortgage. are you?

as a home owner with a mortgage, i can tell you an extra $10 a month makes diddy squat of difference. you can save that much by taking sandwiches to work for two days in a row instead of eating out.

which is, by the way, a much more sensible way to save $10 than to queue in a line for two hours for cheap petrol.

if you are stretched so tight that $10 a month makes a massive difference - why on earth are you still running a car? sell the damn car, and use public transport!

if you have taken on a $600k mortgage and can't hack a few interest rate rises - who's fault is that?

really :rolleyes:
anyway, i thought this was a car forum...

LOL we posted at the same time, but yes again as stated in my post your 2nd last comment there is exactly right as also mentioned by D145 ;)

Wraith
21st October 2008, 09:31 PM
Anyone with a servo like to give us an idea of what their margin's are?

I'm guessing selling petrol at $1 to stick it up the companies and supermarkets will make a lot of independants close down pretty quick

Don't quote me, but from what I know they get or earn 'around' 5-10 cents per litre...

Tricky Ricky
21st October 2008, 10:18 PM
Queuing for 2 hours for 99c petrol is ridiculous. So you save $20 for once in your life, but as others said you had your car idleing....waste of petrol, bad for environment and not good for the car. Not to mention the time wasted....I would rather be on my way and do an average of 60km/h than -30km/h :o

And when I saw the news tonight, the 2 servos dropped the price as they were competing against each other. They didn't do it for the love of the general public, it's just that in this case they'd rather let the average joe win rather than the other servo! Petrol companies never give you a bargain, there's always an agenda!!

Shaun
21st October 2008, 10:48 PM
Don't quote me, but from what I know they get or earn 'around' 5-10 cents per litre...

Thats about correct. the taxes is where were hit.. GST and excise . Which is illegal as you cant charge tax on top of a GST by law but there must be some loop hole the government found for that.

Where they make there money is in AVGAS,oils and selling the products of convenince in the stores. The exact reason Shell jumped into bed with Coles Caltex with Woolworth / Safeway.

Vectracious
21st October 2008, 10:55 PM
Thats about correct. the taxes is where were hit.. GST and excise . Which is illegal as you cant charge tax on top of a GST by law but there must be some loop hole the government found for that.

Where they make there money is in AVGAS,oils and selling the products of convenince in the stores. The exact reason Shell jumped into bed with Coles Caltex with Woolworth / Safeway.

Hang on

The Government found a loop hole???? The government makes the tax law! it doesnt need to find a loophole.....

And if its the taxes that are the problem - why the hate against the big companies? Shouldnt it all be directed to the government? The big companies dont set the taxes....

poita
21st October 2008, 10:59 PM
the gov has always double/triple dipped on fuel.
it fukin bs.

i will stop now otherwise i will start ranting

EL BURITO
22nd October 2008, 01:39 AM
there is a caltex on the way from work to uni and they always have a low price but it is a bit rediculas when there is 1 cents difference with the woolies 500m down the rd and the line is spewing out, not thinking for 40c to $1 more they wont waste 30 min waiting

In WA they have to set there next day price by 2pm the day before. I agree with this system even if it cost ppl a extra 10 c a tank

tomtom
22nd October 2008, 02:44 AM
I never fill up on the "cheap day" (tuesday) because theres just too many people there. You'd have to sometimes wiat for over half an hour in my area just to get into the station . Screw that. Fill up on monday night you spend what an extra $5 (guessing, cant remember prices) and not have to line up at all. I'm down with that. I have better things to do with my time like watch paint dry.

rjastra
22nd October 2008, 09:47 AM
Its "excise" on petrol.... not tax ;)

As for free advertising for the owner's station... who gives petrol stations any loyalty? If you do you are a fool. Always shop on price. Otherwise you are forcing any competition on them!

Wraith
22nd October 2008, 10:53 AM
I never fill up on the "cheap day" (tuesday) because theres just too many people there. You'd have to sometimes wiat for over half an hour in my area just to get into the station . Screw that. Fill up on monday night you spend what an extra $5 (guessing, cant remember prices) and not have to line up at all. I'm down with that. I have better things to do with my time like watch paint dry.

LOL agree, bring on the electric cars along with all the associated probs they'll have/cause :)

RudeOne
22nd October 2008, 11:37 AM
LOL agree, bring on the electric cars along with all the associated probs they'll have/cause :)

haha, bring on the electric car and watch the government charge us a electricity excises, infrastructure tax, carbon taxes and what ever you can think of! oh and dont for get to add GST! :)

Black Nugget
22nd October 2008, 12:24 PM
blaming the government excise is hardly the best idea.

As Demand has had minor change despite petrol going up by 60c a litre if we were to drop the excise of 40c(or whatever it is) it would not take long before petrol execs realize that consumers are prepared to pay more and there margins increase and the price rises back to its original position.

This in turn would lead to reduced government income - which is reinjected in the economy and also no accounting for the externalities petrol causes- e.g. pollution and other environmental damage.

also we have one of the lowest government fuel taxes amongst western countries and look what its done...its created an illprepared climate where we have shitloads of unnescery 4wds and large cars.

Shaun
22nd October 2008, 01:49 PM
Hang on

The Government found a loop hole???? The government makes the tax law! it doesnt need to find a loophole.....

And if its the taxes that are the problem - why the hate against the big companies? Shouldnt it all be directed to the government? The big companies dont set the taxes....
Point im making is that fuel companys Like Caltex BP and Shell Oil's all posted profit last year. If they were to drop the price of fuel and still make the margins on the other products of convenice in store they would still make a profit.

the gov has always double/triple dipped on fuel.
it fukin bs.

i will stop now otherwise i will start ranting

Exactly what i was getting at. Is the Australian Government is triple dipping on fuel. GST, Excise and the 3x3 scheme introduced in the 80's. Where 3 cents a ltr is meant to go toward road funding. (its a Federal scheme)