PDA

View Full Version : Want some more HP.. idea's anyone :)

simmy
15th October 2008, 04:40 PM
hey guys

i'v got a stock lil 1.8L non turbo'd Astra, 03 model.. only thing is, i want to go a little faster? needs a bit more power. Was thinking of getting a turbo conversion kit or a turbo engine to get put in it.. but i have no clue on where to look ? or what else i could do to it..

id get a new car with stuff already done.. but i'd lose to much money?

ideas....anyone??

btm
15th October 2008, 04:41 PM
sell it and buy an SRiT ;)

Calibrated
15th October 2008, 04:42 PM
sell it, and buy an SRi-T, they're as low as 13k now. would be more cost effective than doing a half ass conversion.

simmy
15th October 2008, 05:03 PM
sell it, and buy an SRi-T, they're as low as 13k now. would be more cost effective than doing a half ass conversion.

lol, ok then... anyone want to buy it :) 94,500k's on the clock.. good condition.. or a swap??:D

InsaneAsylum
15th October 2008, 05:04 PM
more HP is available at your local supermarket
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/photos/2006/05/10/hp-sauce060510.jpg

Calibrated
15th October 2008, 05:06 PM
lol, ok then... anyone want to buy it :) 94,500k's on the clock.. good condition.. or a swap??:D
put it on carsales :p or even trade it in if it comes to that.

lol. trust you :D

lithium
15th October 2008, 05:33 PM
agreed, if you're looking a lot more power, sell yours and buy the astra that comes with a turbo straight from the factory :)

if you just want a little bit more power - extractors, exhaust, remap. if you want a bit more, a new intake manifold will give it noticeably more kick. after that, its cams and headwork....all of that together might, just, maybe, possibly, almost, get you close to a stock SRiT ;)

JR
15th October 2008, 05:35 PM
take off the holden badges - u'll gain an extra 5-10 killerwasps instantly!!
hahaha :D

as the guys said - ur better of getting an sri-t.
otherwise u'll have to change manifolds, drivelines, transmission, wiring harnesses, brakes etc etc etc.
not worth the hassle at all :eek:

i too wish my naturally aspirated 1.8l had a bit more punch - but that ain't da case. :( so i attacked the handling & looks.
i would recommend u derestrict the airbox - will let ur engine breathe better, n respond better.

CNBLU
15th October 2008, 05:48 PM
Pm Slyopel. He has turbo'd his 1.8lt. Besides a turbo just a remap and extractors will give you some extra hp.

simmy
16th October 2008, 10:14 AM

haha sweet, i might just go buy me a couple cartons of those.. spicy sause should defs get you going... lol

simmy
16th October 2008, 10:24 AM
mmm, maybe i'll ditch the turbo idea and just add a few little things to give it a bit more kick.. spose i cant have too much power at the moment or i might lose my lisence... 1 year good driving behaviour sucks!! :(

i'v been working on the looks a bit, havent got any pics to put up just yet, waiting for my rear bar to get painted and put on :) still need a front bar and maybe some new side skirts then i'll be extra happy, jus doing a bit at a time.

lithium
16th October 2008, 10:32 AM
keep us informed of the progress :)
depending on how much money you want to spend, i'd keep performance mods to a nice full exhaust and a remap...it's enough for you to feel the power difference over a stock Astra. just don't expect those changes to turn it into a tire smoking monster and you will be happy!

simmy
16th October 2008, 11:37 AM
Thanks, i'll keep you updated for sure :)

Do you know roughly what a remap is worth??

lithium
16th October 2008, 11:45 AM
auzvectra is the man to talk to about that, he does fixed map reflashes for a very reasonable price

if you want a live remap - i got quoted $1200 from a place in Sydney that can directly reprogram the ECUs on our cars. other places quoted $1600 for a interceptor-based remap (generally inferior to direct reprogramming)

with mild mods like an exhaust, the live remap over fixed remap might give you 1% or 2% more performance....i think you'd do a live remap only if you go further (intake manifold, cams, headwork etc) otherwise fixed is the way to go

simmy
16th October 2008, 11:54 AM
ok cool

thanx for the info :)

oneightoo
16th October 2008, 12:08 PM

lol dammit, i only just saw this thread title and thought of this exact same joke..

tho i prefer the original...

http://www.asaltandbattery.com/assets/images/products/copies/lg_hp-sauce-big.jpg

Wraith
16th October 2008, 12:11 PM
sell it and buy an SRiT ;)

+ 4

I know you've already got the majority opinion but I have to add to it :)

simmy
16th October 2008, 12:47 PM
lol thanx.. i just dont know if i can sell an astra...and buy another one? i mean i would.. but i'd b kind of a hipocrit?

theres this girl from were i live who everyone knows, and doesnt really like who had a Getz... sold it, and bought another one, EXACTLY the same.. except it was like a year or 2 newer n everyone paid her out because well... no offence to her, but she's a bit of a loser... oh it was a different colour too!

guess this is different, its an astra, its hotter ;) and i'd be going to turbo!

but... a rex would be hot too :D might jus keep it n make it look good n sound good

thanx for the opinion anyway :) much appreciated

lithium
16th October 2008, 12:59 PM
keep, mod, get some experience and knowledge, save up

and buy a real screamer for your next car
that's my approach anyway :)

if you sold an astra and bought an astra, ok, its like the girl with the Getz. but an astra T is a very different animal to an astra 1.8. looks the same on the outside and thats about all!

CNBLU
16th October 2008, 11:27 PM
1.8 and 2.0lt Turbo are worlds apart, just thought you might wanna know that.

tuzinski
16th October 2008, 11:42 PM
1.8 and 2.0lt Turbo are worlds apart, just thought you might wanna know that.
+1
dude take a sriT for a test drive you will see the wild beast to it

amez89
10th November 2009, 12:30 PM
ive got the same car as you, Simmy, and i too wanted a bit more power. It all depends on how much money you want to spend! I didnt want to spend a fortune as yet, so i got a 2" cat back sports system ($330) and a k&n panel filter ($100). The car now sounds amazing and definately has alot more power. I noticed that the car really likes to rev now that it has the filter. If you dont mind spending more than that, you could get a full system. I was quoted about $1200 for one.
Dont sell your car! I was gonna do that, but its fun to do it yourself... Getting a SriT is cheating hehe :)

oneightoo
10th November 2009, 12:47 PM
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/attachments/es300-and-es330/113727d1194053211-es300-a-c-or-cabin-filter-change-97-01-holy-thread-revival-batman.jpg

xplosv57
10th November 2009, 12:57 PM
Wow bet she's wishing she sold it back then though..........

hazrd
10th November 2009, 01:01 PM
amez i think simmy is working on a new project before getting more HP

project "reliable astra" needs to be a success before she can continue the ponies battle :p

amez89
10th November 2009, 01:14 PM
haha nice

tomtom
10th November 2009, 01:32 PM
considered dropping some weight?

If you cant power up the engine why not lower the amount it has to pull:p

Ive got at least 50kgs that I can drop easily... for track though since one of the bits is the steelie spare haha.

simmy
10th November 2009, 01:48 PM
reliable astra is the new project lol...

project fix the dam thing for good! then eventually just sell it and get a new car :)

sooty
10th November 2009, 01:49 PM
Simmy, your best bet would be to use 4 cylinders constantly instead of 3 :lol::p
Your car doesn't have displacement on demand lol.

TheOperator
10th November 2009, 01:50 PM
Forget wasting anymore money on your Astra, your only going to sell it anyway ;) Don't mean to sound harsh, but at the end of the day it's only a 1.8 N/A!

Take all the money your going to waste on mods and save it, then put it to the difference of your cars selling price and the purchase of a Sri-T ;)

You will be getting yourself a far better car and something you can build on :D

hazrd
10th November 2009, 01:51 PM
or sell it and put towards the house so us melbournites have somewhere to stay :p

simmy
10th November 2009, 01:53 PM
well.... not to be off topic with that adz.... buttt....

:D:D:D:D

Doc
26th November 2009, 09:08 PM
Dont waste your time with it it. Save the cash till you can get the turbo jobby or get a factory supercharged Commodore. A couple of mods and your blowin away Rex's and V8's.
Check them out at my website: www.l67torque.com (http://www.l67torque.com)

So how quick are these turbo's? Never had a run against 1. What sort of quarter times are we talking?

I was just here to get some info for the missus's Astra and was just looking around. Not here to bag the Opel.

Have you guys tried doing a cold air intake?
Heres the 20 dollar bunnings job on mine. They work gr8. I assume the Turbo's like cold air like the blowers do. Its just PVC pipe painted black.

http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/3909/cai4bj8.jpg