PDA

View Full Version : skodas...opinions?

USC
15th October 2008, 11:23 AM
They have heaps in India. Are they any good?

Wraith
15th October 2008, 11:34 AM
They use alot VW hardware don't they ?? being part of that group...so probably not bad, although can't comment on the Indian production quality/standards etc. if they're being produced in India.

BMW's made in Sth Africa seem to have issues compared to those made in Germany or other parts of Europe...

Did read recently that VW will be manufacturing alot more of their models in India in the future...

SSS_Hoon
15th October 2008, 11:35 AM
they are not too bad, the interior isnt the best though.

They have models that use the same engine as the GTI.

a bit cheaper then VW also.

SSS_Hoon

maloo97
15th October 2008, 11:38 AM
They have been and gone from oz.
But now i also see they are back.

Only be good to have for a year or so then through it back, But in saying that not to sure on resale

Vectracious
15th October 2008, 11:38 AM
I'd love an Octavia RS :D :D

They've gotten very good writeups - they are not the Skoda of old now that VAG have them - yeah the interior is not up to scratch as say a Golf - but you're not paying as much either.

JohnBu
15th October 2008, 11:51 AM
reports indicates that quality is up on VW.. better realiability..

uses same platform as VW/Audi/Seat

2 reasons I wouldn't buy them yet:
- they are ugly
- resale will suck (resale is affected by reason 1).

Fix the ugliness of all their cars, and you have a cut price VW- not a cut price ugly VW.

I'm not sure why manufacturers don't hire me when developing their cars, i'll give them an in depth foresight on future sales success:

- working @ Skoda "ugly car, this will not sell well"

- working @ Audi "TT is a beautiful car, this will sell"

- working @ Subaru "What the **** are you thinking with the MY08 wrx- this will not sell well. Too late to change the design? Then quickly update the MY09 model. Don't you losers remember what happened with the MY2001 wrx??"

fortunately Subaru are mighty quick with redesigning their cars, MY09 wrx looks better, better handling.. more power.

Wraith
15th October 2008, 11:55 AM
reports indicates that quality is up on VW.. better realiability..

uses same platform as VW/Audi/Seat

2 reasons I wouldn't buy them yet:
- they are ugly
- resale will suck (resale is affected by reason 1).

Fix the ugliness of all their cars, and you have a cut price VW- not a cut price ugly VW.

I'm not sure why manufacturers don't hire me when developing their cars, i'll give them an in depth foresight on future sales success:

- working @ Skoda "ugly car, this will not sell well"

- working @ Audi "TT is a beautiful car, this will sell"

- working @ Subaru "What the **** are you thinking with the MY08 wrx- this will not sell well. Too late to change the design? Then quickly update the MY09 model. Don't you losers remember what happened with the MY2001 wrx??"

fortunately Subaru are mighty quick with redesigning their cars, MY09 wrx looks better, better handling.. more power.

Hahahaha LOL ^^^^ :D

BTW new Wrx is a very nice car IMHO, I'd have one for sure :)

SSS_Hoon
15th October 2008, 11:59 AM
the new wrx sedan looks too much like a kia and is jsut plain wrong on all accounts.

The Skoda will take a few years to establish themselves here before they really start to take off.

overall not that bad a car, just looks are not the best interior is the worst. The Octavia RS looks ok.

SSS_Hoon

Wraith
15th October 2008, 12:03 PM
the new wrx sedan looks too much like a kia and is jsut plain wrong on all accounts.

The Skoda will take a few years to establish themselves here before they really start to take off.

overall not that bad a car, just looks are not the best interior is the worst. The Octavia RS looks ok.

SSS_Hoon

You won't have to worry about the new rex sedan, it's only destined for the U.S market ;)

I was only referring to our hatch models anyways, although I think the sedan looks 'not bad' in itself...

I like the Octavia RS also, it's specs and pricing are very nice too :)

Black Nugget
15th October 2008, 12:06 PM

SSS_Hoon

the arden blue ish octavia rs wagon looks pretty shmick

I sat in the interior of one whilst getting my car serviced - the seats and seat material is good but dash plastic quality seems a little behind VW. However for 39k you do get a lot of car for the money. Buy an APS kit and you would be laughing.

It was funny, they were selling them at the holden dealership so I asked if you service them here and they said no you have to go to volkswagen.

sooty
15th October 2008, 12:10 PM
You won't have to worry about the new rex sedan, it's only destined for the U.S market ;)

Subaru Australia today previewed its new generation Impreza WRX sedan at Sydney International Motor Show, offering a huge 26 Kilowatts more power and 23 Newtonmetres more torque, better fuel efficiency and upgraded suspension.

Model Year 2009 Impreza WRX sedan and hatch will be available by early December with a larger turbocharger and increased boost, plus the options of leather trim with sunroof, and satellite navigation.

In addition to the power and torque enhancements, all Impreza WRX versions will share the new suspension package, producing even sharper, aggressive handling. It will feature increased spring and damping rates, and thickened stabilizer bars.

The Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive Impreza WRX will also feature a new mesh grille and badge, distinctive red brake calipers and wider tyres.

Inside, red stitch seating will add to the sporty appearance.

MY09 Impreza WRX will produce 195 Kilowatts of power at 6000 rpm and 343 Newtonmetres of torque at 4000 rpm, while fuel consumption is improved in the combined cycle from 10.7 l/100km to 10.4 l/100km.

Carbondioxide emissions are down from 252 g/km to 247 g/km.

Recommended Retail Pricing is maintained at MY08 levels – both hatch and the newly introduced sedan will start from $39,990 rrp.

Impreza WRX MY09 highlights:

15.4 per cent more power
7.2 per cent more torque
Better fuel efficiency (combined cycle)
Carbondioxide emissions reduced
Upgraded suspension
Larger turbocharger and increased boost
Leather trim with sunroof, and satellite navigation options
Enhanced suspension package - sharper, aggressive handling
New mesh grille with WRX badge
Distinctive red brake calipers
Wider tyres
Red stitch seating adds to sporty appearance
Pricing maintained at MY08 levels – simple choice between hatch or sedan, as prices identical

Calibrated
15th October 2008, 12:16 PM
beat me to it ain.

sooty
15th October 2008, 12:17 PM
beat me to it ain.
But of course ;)

SSS_Hoon
15th October 2008, 12:20 PM
that is what i thought.

Seen it at the motor show and its crap looking.

The RS with a full zorst and a GIAC tune would be a nice sleeper type of car as most youngings wouldnt know what it was let alone what is in it.

SSS_Hoon

kirssn
15th October 2008, 12:45 PM
the arden blue ish octavia rs wagon looks pretty shmick

I sat in the interior of one whilst getting my car serviced - the seats and seat material is good but dash plastic quality seems a little behind VW. However for 39k you do get a lot of car for the money. Buy an APS kit and you would be laughing.

It was funny, they were selling them at the holden dealership so I asked if you service them here and they said no you have to go to volkswagen.

the holden dealership where my best mate works has these - they service the cars @ the dealership - we were told part of having skoda there was that you had to purchase all of the hardware and the tools and cabinet as well.

they dont like working on them though.....

Black Nugget
15th October 2008, 01:08 PM
the holden dealership where my best mate works has these - they service the cars @ the dealership - we were told part of having skoda there was that you had to purchase all of the hardware and the tools and cabinet as well.

they dont like working on them though.....

what kind of prices do they charge for skoda service?

rjastra
15th October 2008, 01:11 PM
Octavia RS wagon looks pretty good. Much larger inside than a Golf.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_47/car_photo_23553_25.jpg

And all the diesel zealots on here will be pleased too know you can get it with the 125kW TDI engine ;)

SSS_Hoon
15th October 2008, 01:36 PM
yeah the wagon is what we were looking at.

But once you go from looking at the R36 Passat wagon to the RS there is just comparison now is there.

SSS_Hoon

rjastra
15th October 2008, 01:36 PM

The only real visible change for the 2009 WRX is the grill. The rest is as ugly as ever.

The suspension /engine updates are simply becuase the japs stopped building a "wrx" for their market when the current shaped Impreza was released. They introduced a softer 2.5GT model. That was rebadged the WRX for overseas markets.

So in essense what Subaru have given us now (ie, everywhere other than Japan) is a proper WRX. More power and stiffer suspension and the standard sports grill.

Interestingly, the auto model in the US retains the softer suspension and lower powered 2.5L and is rebadged 2.5GT!

rjastra
15th October 2008, 01:55 PM
yeah the wagon is what we were looking at.
But once you go from looking at the R36 Passat wagon to the RS there is just comparison now is there.
SSS_Hoon

Yes but, literally, one car is about 1/2 the cost of the other.

I reckon a secondhand (12month old) RS wagon would be a great buy.

Wraith
15th October 2008, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by Subaru_Australia
Subaru Australia today previewed its new generation Impreza WRX sedan at Sydney International Motor Show, offering a huge 26 Kilowatts more power and 23 Newtonmetres more torque, better fuel efficiency and upgraded suspension.

Model Year 2009 Impreza WRX sedan and hatch will be available by early December with a larger turbocharger and increased boost, plus the options of leather trim with sunroof, and satellite navigation.

In addition to the power and torque enhancements, all Impreza WRX versions will share the new suspension package, producing even sharper, aggressive handling. It will feature increased spring and damping rates, and thickened stabilizer bars.

The Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive Impreza WRX will also feature a new mesh grille and badge, distinctive red brake calipers and wider tyres.

Inside, red stitch seating will add to the sporty appearance.

MY09 Impreza WRX will produce 195 Kilowatts of power at 6000 rpm and 343 Newtonmetres of torque at 4000 rpm, while fuel consumption is improved in the combined cycle from 10.7 l/100km to 10.4 l/100km.

Carbondioxide emissions are down from 252 g/km to 247 g/km.

Recommended Retail Pricing is maintained at MY08 levels – both hatch and the newly introduced sedan will start from $39,990 rrp.

Impreza WRX MY09 highlights:

15.4 per cent more power
7.2 per cent more torque
Better fuel efficiency (combined cycle)
Carbondioxide emissions reduced
Upgraded suspension
Larger turbocharger and increased boost
Leather trim with sunroof, and satellite navigation options
Enhanced suspension package - sharper, aggressive handling
New mesh grille with WRX badge
Distinctive red brake calipers
Wider tyres
Red stitch seating adds to sporty appearance
Pricing maintained at MY08 levels – simple choice between hatch or sedan, as prices identical

DOH ! :doh:

I was unaware of that :D

SSS_Hoon
15th October 2008, 02:00 PM
DOH ! :doh:

I was unaware of that :D

something about a new model car that you didnt know?

what is this world coming too....:D

guess u just don't like subaroooo all that much too care hey?

SSS_Hoon

Wraith
15th October 2008, 02:05 PM
something about a new model car that you didnt know?

what is this world coming too....:D

guess u just don't like subaroooo all that much too care hey?

SSS_Hoon

LOL, I like the new breed of Impreza as stated numerous times in the past and on this thread...

Last I read the new Impreza sedan was a U.S market only car...can't keep up with some of these manufacturers always changing their minds :)

What would be a good thing, is if they re-introduced an Sti coupe...probably someone else will come on and tell me they have LOL :)

Black Nugget
15th October 2008, 02:14 PM
Yes but, literally, one car is about 1/2 the cost of the other.

I reckon a secondhand (12month old) RS wagon would be a great buy.

I am seriously thinking this for the next car

However research is hard, there are NO private sale skoda RS on carsales and I cant find an insurer which will do quotes for it online:confused:

Vectracious
15th October 2008, 02:17 PM
Not sure where you are blacknugget, but there's 2 (wagon and sedan) in vic...

http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/dealer/SKODA/OCTAVIA/details.aspx?Cr=1&State=Victoria&R=6209122&state_id=903&__No=20&__Ns=pCar_StatusSort_Int32|1||pCar_Price_Decimal|0&__N=4294963053%20903%20834%20258%20287%20285%20121 6%204294963047%20789&distance=25&RegionID=789&trecs=22&__Nne=20&seot=0&silo=1000&__sid=11D00DD29AC0&Model=OCTAVIA&__Qpb=true&Region=State%20Wide&Make=SKODA

http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/dealer/SKODA/OCTAVIA/details.aspx?Cr=19&State=Victoria&R=6268167&state_id=903&__No=0&__Ns=pCar_StatusSort_Int32|1||pCar_Price_Decimal|0&__N=4294963053%20903%20834%20258%20287%20285%20121 6%204294963047%20789&distance=25&RegionID=789&trecs=22&__Nne=20&seot=0&silo=1000&__sid=11D00DD29AC0&Model=OCTAVIA&__Qpb=true&Region=State%20Wide&Make=SKODA

hmmmm - they dont seem to be formatting properly - if you do a search for dealer used cars in Vic for a skoda Octavia - there's 2 on there with less than 1000km (so maybe demo cars?)

Black Nugget
15th October 2008, 02:21 PM
Not sure where you are blacknugget, but there's 2 (wagon and sedan) in vic...

http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/dealer/SKODA/OCTAVIA/details.aspx?Cr=1&State=Victoria&R=6209122&state_id=903&__No=20&__Ns=pCar_StatusSort_Int32|1||pCar_Price_Decimal|0&__N=4294963053%20903%20834%20258%20287%20285%20121 6%204294963047%20789&distance=25&RegionID=789&trecs=22&__Nne=20&seot=0&silo=1000&__sid=11D00DD29AC0&Model=OCTAVIA&__Qpb=true&Region=State%20Wide&Make=SKODA

http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/dealer/SKODA/OCTAVIA/details.aspx?Cr=19&State=Victoria&R=6268167&state_id=903&__No=0&__Ns=pCar_StatusSort_Int32|1||pCar_Price_Decimal|0&__N=4294963053%20903%20834%20258%20287%20285%20121 6%204294963047%20789&distance=25&RegionID=789&trecs=22&__Nne=20&seot=0&silo=1000&__sid=11D00DD29AC0&Model=OCTAVIA&__Qpb=true&Region=State%20Wide&Make=SKODA

both dealer, sorry i said I should have mentioned private a- also looking for the blue colour but its v rare:(

JohnBu
15th October 2008, 02:28 PM
I am seriously thinking this for the next car

However research is hard, there are NO private sale skoda RS on carsales and I cant find an insurer which will do quotes for it online:confused:

A bit hard to to buy a second hand car when no one bought it new!

seriously, the front of that car looks like a mid 90s Toyota Avalon.

makes the MY08 subaru wrx which has been universally hated look like an aston martin.

WTF were they thinking.

Vectracious
15th October 2008, 02:29 PM
both dealer, sorry i said I should have mentioned private a- also looking for the blue colour but its v rare:(

ah Ok - yeah maybe need to wait a bit longer - Skoda has probably only been back in Australia a year now? (give or take a few months)

rjastra
15th October 2008, 02:29 PM
Just some images of the IMpreza without the bling tailights

http://www.harmanmotive.com/catalog/images/HMTLFK-13.JPG
http://www.harmanmotive.com/catalog/images/HMTLFK-3.JPG

Black Nugget
15th October 2008, 02:31 PM

makes the MY08 subaru wrx which has been universally hated look like an aston martin.

WTF were they thinking.

Each to their own I guess

Personally I like the front, but there are a few design bits I dont like.

However I do like its rarity,stealth and practicality

JohnBu
15th October 2008, 02:34 PM
Black Nugget- fair enough.

rjastra. the back look better without the bling- in red (not that 80s tinted lights).. can they improve the front?

Black Nugget
15th October 2008, 02:39 PM
with the subaru I think they should have done it like the maser...it looks a bit like a cheap rip but much better IMO

heres a dodgy chop
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/6656/masersubuiq3.jpg (http://www.imagehosting.com/)

dieselhead
15th October 2008, 02:46 PM
I was thinking seriously about buying an Octavia RS Wagon and get it through an APR Stage III upgrade. Show me another car at 285 kW that's half as practical for less than $50k! :)

JohnBu
15th October 2008, 02:48 PM
I was thinking seriously about buying an Octavia RS Wagon and get it through an APR Stage III upgrade. Show me another car at 285 kW that's half as practical for less than $50k! :)

Surely there's a diesel out there that will fit the bill!! :P

just ribbing ya Ain!

Vectracious
15th October 2008, 02:57 PM

WTF were they thinking.

so you don't like the Skoda's John??? :p

JohnBu
15th October 2008, 03:01 PM
so you don't like the Skoda's John??? :p

I've never said that.. I think you're look way too far between the lines there Pete!! :D

I'm asian therefore I automatically like the Avalons! haha

Vectracious
15th October 2008, 03:08 PM
I've never said that.. I think you're look way too far between the lines there Pete!! :D

hahaha - in a Gold colour of course!!! :D

JohnBu
15th October 2008, 03:16 PM
hahaha - in a Gold colour of course!!! :D

the real colour of money.. the pimps know that also

Black Nugget
15th October 2008, 03:23 PM

bahaha the skodas come with parking sensors standard.....even more to like for ya john;)

Vectracious
15th October 2008, 03:25 PM
bahaha the skodas come with parking sensors standard.....even more to like for ya john;)

ROFLMAO :D :clap:

JohnBu
15th October 2008, 03:48 PM
hahaha...

too true, too many of them have excessively low driving skills..

kirssn
15th October 2008, 04:10 PM
what kind of prices do they charge for skoda service?

not sure.... have worked on their reception of a weekend when needed but the advisers look after the money side of things.

am happy to pm you the dealership.

sooty
15th October 2008, 05:25 PM
Surely there's a diesel out there that will fit the bill!! :P

just ribbing ya Ain!
:hand: :p

KID_SRi
15th October 2008, 05:38 PM
I'd love a Octavia RS Wagon, But my Greyhounds wount fit in the back which defeats the purpose of swapping my VY Wagon

bornwild
15th October 2008, 06:01 PM
Skodas are mighty good. VW for 20% less. Can't go wrong.

The WRX sedan looks just plain wrong...

Wraith
15th October 2008, 08:58 PM
:hand: :p

LOL lucky you spotted this one, I thought I was the only one until now :D

Funny/harmless mistake :)

Wraith
15th October 2008, 09:21 PM

That's an enticing thought - APR do wonders and excellent/reliable aftermarket work for all VW group of engines amongst others, the only real problem would be though if you did that, you'd instantly void the warranty because a stg. III upgrade means replacement of alot of major parts including the turbo, so this would be instantly seen by the dealer at service intervals...

You'd be better off buying a S/H one if you wanted to do an APR stg. III job on it, otherwise, just get the new one and stick to an APR re-map and/or intake only, will still be up to a 20-40% more power and torque over stock AND won't have you pulling your hair out over loss of warranty and the increased fuel burn you'd get with the stg. III because you'd be so used to your diesel consumption rates :)

Now to answer your question above - I was at GMH dealership in Doncaster last weekend and they were selling brand new VE SS Commodore sedans (ie: V8 270KW) for $46,900 drive-away !!! :eek:

You could also score the new sport wagon V8 for under 50k !!! and have petrol capped at 99cents/ltr for the 1st 20,000km thrown in...

Now you may not like the VE range, but not only are they half as practical as the Octavia wagon, but probably twice as practical and well under 50k, + the fuel saving - how's that ;)

And in terms of efficiency, I can guarantee you, a stg. III 285kw output 4 pot petrol turbo will consume more fuel than the V8 in the VE ;) with which BTW a re-map will see you over 330kw and 600nm, with around 400nm at just 1000rpm - nice upgrade to the small TD :)

bornwild
15th October 2008, 09:23 PM
Wraith, I highly doubt more fuel than what the V8 would suck in at full throttle would even fit in the 2.0ltr unit lol :p

Wraith
15th October 2008, 09:33 PM
Wraith, I highly doubt more fuel than what the V8 would suck in at full throttle would even fit in the 2.0ltr unit lol :p

I'll put money on it !!!

I'm basing my remarks from cars I've owned/still own and many others close friends own ;)

From the rate of fuel consumption on my Astra turbo's Z20LET with just a remap to around 170kw and 300nm, it drinks almost (around 15% less) than my 250kw HSV R8 used to consume with a similar driving style !!!

Imagine the fuel burn from a 2.0ltr pushing nearly 300kw which would be fitted with a large turbo, even with DI I don't think you'd get better than 16ltr/100km combined cycle....I was able to achieve down to 11ltr/100km in my 250kw HSV and it was an auto ;)

Still back to Diesels post, I answered his question for a more pratical car than the Octavia wagon for less money with far superior bang for buck and much lower running costs to boot, with the 99cent fuel cap !!! :)

bornwild
15th October 2008, 09:40 PM
That 99c fuel cap has a lot of catches and strings attached :).

If you tune a 2.0ltr properly there should be no dramas achieving the slightly higher economy than from stock, with a normal, civilised and legal driving style. I am yet to come accross a V8 whose trip computer shows 11l/100km yet a lot of people seem to be claiming that. I have a mate who owns one of these new SS' and he drives on the freeway to Geelong every day and struggles to get below 16ltr/100km and I know his driving style(ie. grandma). He's resorted to driving a Mazda2...

Wraith
15th October 2008, 09:48 PM
That 99c fuel cap has a lot of catches and strings attached :).

If you tune a 2.0ltr properly there should be no dramas achieving the slightly higher economy than from stock, with a normal, civilised and legal driving style. I am yet to come accross a V8 whose trip computer shows 11l/100km yet a lot of people seem to be claiming that. I have a mate who owns one of these new SS' and he drives on the freeway to Geelong every day and struggles to get below 16ltr/100km and I know his driving style(ie. grandma). He's resorted to driving a Mazda2...

Yes, with a civilised driving style on any car, you could achieve great economy numbers, but once you stick the boot in on a very high powered forced inducted engine, good tune or not, it slurps the fuel like there's no tomorrow...

What you've stated above for the V8 sounds about right for a combined cycle with spirited driving thrown in...just ask Steve on here who has a slightly modded LS1, he achieves around 13 or so ltr/100km with civilised driving and as stated I got mine down to 11's, so your mate must be doing more 'peddle floor touching' than he's admitting too :D

The next time we see each other, I'll take you for a spin in my turbo vert - you just pay attention to the trip meter fuel readout and the fuel gauge movement over the course of the drive - then we'll talk further...;)

bornwild
15th October 2008, 09:51 PM
Ange you coming to the GOR cruise?

Nah I know what you're saying, of course it will drink as soon as you give it some throttle..Jeez even my 1.8ltr shows 20ltr/100km up a hill or something, it's absolutely normal.

I know that figures of 11ltr/100km should be achievable in a V8...it's just that I'm yet to see one :) And not just over 50km but over an entire tank of fuel :)

Wraith
15th October 2008, 10:07 PM
Ange you coming to the GOR cruise?

Nah I know what you're saying, of course it will drink as soon as you give it some throttle..Jeez even my 1.8ltr shows 20ltr/100km up a hill or something, it's absolutely normal.

I know that figures of 11ltr/100km should be achievable in a V8...it's just that I'm yet to see one :) And not just over 50km but over an entire tank of fuel :)

More info on the GOR cruise ?? I must remember to go over to the Vic. forum section more often, I keep forgetting about it DOH :doh: :o

And yes, my readings in the 11's were achieved with full tank back to back check logs - I always run at least 2 or 3 tank fulls when doing this kind of research :)

It was with the most conservative driving I could achieve, but still driving in a normal fashion/speed range, not like a snail on a wet weekend :D

My 'normal' avarage was always between 14-15ltrs/100km which isn't bad when you consider it was an auto with nearly 1,800kg to haul along ;)

BTW 20ltrs/100km is nothing, your gonna get a shock when you see the numbers the turbo vert spits out LOL...like I've said, not too dissimilar to a V8...

bornwild
15th October 2008, 10:09 PM
It's this coming Sunday meeting up at 5am in St Kilda somewhere...check the GOR Cruise thread on here...as for the VIC forum, it doesn't seem to exist any longer?

Wraith
15th October 2008, 10:21 PM
It's this coming Sunday meeting up at 5am in St Kilda somewhere...check the GOR Cruise thread on here...as for the VIC forum, it doesn't seem to exist any longer?

Vic. section dosn't exist, say what ??? :( I'll have to check after this post...

St Kilda beach this Sunday sounds do-able, I've actually been going there for the past 2 weekends on the Sunday :D

Don't know about cruising along, but may very well be able to meet up and say hi to everybody :) although 5:00am - ouch...

Apologies to all BTW for going waaaaay off topic :)

dieselhead
15th October 2008, 10:30 PM
You could also score the new sport wagon V8 for under 50k !!! and have petrol capped at 99cents/ltr for the 1st 20,000km thrown in...

Now you may not like the VE range, but not only are they half as practical as the Octavia wagon, but probably twice as practical and well under 50k, + the fuel saving - how's that ;)

Look, I agree the V8 VE wagon i not a bad car, not if you're into dancing elephants that is :) It could even be faster than the Octavia in a straight line, too. But as soon as the road bends is bye-bye Jumbo V8. What is utterly attractive about the Octavia RS + III is the perfect sleeper car look. A perfect family car with a very nasty side if pushed... Who would ever think you've got 285 kW under the bonet?

You're right, a 2-3 year second hand car plus the Stage III would be sweet, it could even fit in $40k including exhaust upgrade.

USC
15th October 2008, 10:41 PM
The only real visible change for the 2009 WRX is the grill. The rest is as ugly as ever.

The suspension /engine updates are simply becuase the japs stopped building a "wrx" for their market when the current shaped Impreza was released. They introduced a softer 2.5GT model. That was rebadged the WRX for overseas markets.

So in essense what Subaru have given us now (ie, everywhere other than Japan) is a proper WRX. More power and stiffer suspension and the standard sports grill.

Interestingly, the auto model in the US retains the softer suspension and lower powered 2.5L and is rebadged 2.5GT!

Topgear reckons the new WRX Sti is ugly and crap compared to the new EVO.

That red wagon does not look too bad. I dont mind the skodas...they seem tough.

Shaun
15th October 2008, 10:52 PM
Topgear reckons the new WRX Sti is ugly and crap compared to the new EVO.

That red wagon does not look too bad. I dont mind the skodas...they seem tough.

New lancer Rallyart is good value for money. 177kw. AWD. SST Transmisson. Sleeper look to it too. Kind of looks like a VRX Lancer from behind. Mistubishi will gain alot of market share with the New Rallyart Lancer against the WRX.

And look alot nicer then the new WRX Sedan. Saw one at the Sydney Motorshow Last week. And to be honest . The New Kia sedan looks classier then the New WRX Sedan.

Subaru have gone soft with the sedan. The Hatch is a much nicer looking car then the Sedan.

White or Blue RS Wagon Skoda are quite nice. Is something different and looks the goods on the road.

rjastra
15th October 2008, 11:03 PM
New lancer Rallyart is good value for money. 177kw. AWD. SST Transmisson. Sleeper look to it too. Kind of looks like a VRX Lancer from behind. Mistubishi will gain alot of market share with the New Rallyart Lancer against the WRX.

How exactly is it good value at $43K + ORC? Its a porka of a car (1500kg) and from all reports neither a sharp handler or a winner in a straight line.

Wraith
16th October 2008, 08:51 AM
Look, I agree the V8 VE wagon i not a bad car, not if you're into dancing elephants that is :) It could even be faster than the Octavia in a straight line, too. But as soon as the road bends is bye-bye Jumbo V8. What is utterly attractive about the Octavia RS + III is the perfect sleeper car look. A perfect family car with a very nasty side if pushed... Who would ever think you've got 285 kW under the bonet?

You're right, a 2-3 year second hand car plus the Stage III would be sweet, it could even fit in $40k including exhaust upgrade.

I see your point/s :)

I too like everything about the VE series in terms of value for money, bang for buck etc. BUT would never buy one simply because for me, the car is just too big or oversized :(

As mentioned in other threads, I hope manufactures begin to either downsize or retain current sizes for their fuutre model line ups when it comes to passenger cars and sports car categories...otherwise we'll get back to the days of the 60's amd 70's Ameraican tanks on the roads again :rolleyes:

Nissan is doing so with the new 370Z which will be smaller and lighter than the current 350Z...

Other manufacturers have done it along the way as well, hopefully it becomes more common.

Wraith
16th October 2008, 08:57 AM
How exactly is it good value at $43K + ORC? Its a porka of a car (1500kg) and from all reports neither a sharp handler or a winner in a straight line.

I agree with Shaun in terms of 'what you get vs price' - but also agree with you that the end result is a little dissapointing in terms of performance...

There's not much else out there you can buy in this price range that'll give you AWD and a decent turbo 4 powerplant...and if you add that sweet SST, it'll still cost less than an optioned Golf Gti, which would be no better in terms of performance and handling and the Lancer would offer more car (space and volume) for the money.

All it needs is a little tuning, I'm sure 200kw+ and near or over 400nm will be had with re-map alone and then I'm sure it wouldn't be so dissapointing in terms of performance anymore :)

Black Nugget
16th October 2008, 08:57 AM
I see your point/s :)

I too like everything about the VE series in terms of value for money, bang for buck etc. BUT would never buy one simply because for me, the car is just too big or oversized :(

As mentioned in other threads, I hope manufactures begin to either downsize or retain current sizes for their fuutre model line ups when it comes to passenger cars and sports car categories...otherwise we'll get back to the days of the 60's amd 70's Ameraican tanks on the roads again :rolleyes:

Nissan is doing so with the new 370Z which will be smaller and lighter than the current 350Z...

Other manufacturers have done it along the way as well, hopefully it becomes more common.

I agree wraith imagine a 1500kg RWD holden the size of the octavia or a three series with a thumping v8 in it, mmmmmmm

Wraith
16th October 2008, 09:20 AM
I agree wraith imagine a 1500kg RWD holden the size of the octavia or a three series with a thumping v8 in it, mmmmmmm

This 'might' become a reality with the new GM medium sized platform which is meant to become a new Torana for us here in Aust. :)

Hope it features a V8 too, but most probably the most powerful powerplant fitted to that car will be a TT 3.6ltr variant of GM's new DI V6 engine - that'll be good enough for most I'd say...with tuning 400kw+ is easy pickings :)

Black Nugget
16th October 2008, 09:22 AM
This 'might' become a reality with the new GM medium sized platform which is meant to become a new Torana for us here in Aust. :)

Hope it features a V8 too, but most probably the most powerful powerplant fitted to that car will be a TT 3.6ltr variant of GM's new DI V6 engine - that'll be good enough for most I'd say...with tuning 400kw+ is easy pickings :)

V6tt awesome! A TT would prob be the best handling power compromise unless they were able to put the v8 behind the axle.

Wraith
16th October 2008, 09:42 AM
V6tt awesome! A TT would prob be the best handling power compromise unless they were able to put the v8 behind the axle.

True o/a weight and weight distribution would be better with the V6 compared to the V8...

GM already has various versions of its V6 TT in production and in vehicles around the World ATM and GMH here also have one ready to go in the next series of VE's (so I've been told) so that powerplant is a definite - now all we need is a decent looking well designed medium sized platform with a coupe variant and voila...should happen by 2010 :)

Shaun
16th October 2008, 09:57 AM
I agree with Shaun in terms of 'what you get vs price' - but also agree with you that the end result is a little dissapointing in terms of performance...

There's not much else out there you can buy in this price range that'll give you AWD and a decent turbo 4 powerplant...and if you add that sweet SST, it'll still cost less than an optioned Golf Gti, which would be no better in terms of performance and handling and the Lancer would offer more car (space and volume) for the money.

All it needs is a little tuning, I'm sure 200kw+ and near or over 400nm will be had with re-map alone and then I'm sure it wouldn't be so dissapointing in terms of performance anymore :)

And we all know Jap Cars (with the expection of the New GT-R) are all easy to tune. 200kw out of the Rallyart Lancer would be shit easy with a Remap and Exhaust. Add 3-5k on top of your 43k and you have a decent car with a nice power increase.

rjastra
16th October 2008, 10:00 AM

1. You can get a new WRX with the luxo leather/sunroof pack for that price. Invariably it will be faster than the Lancer and probably a better handler with the new suspension tune. Heaps of tuning experience with the WRX.

2. The lancer price is nearly exactly the price of a Golf GTI with DSG! And option for option it matches the Golf (for price) as well except no leather for the Lancer. Not to mention the Golf has a plethora of tuning bits for it from the USA and Europe. Nothing much yet for the Lancer.

I do believe that the VRX 2.4L is a winner. Looks like a ralliart yet can be bought and registered by all those asian P plater students :P

200kw out of the Rallyart Lancer would be shit easy with a Remap and Exhaust.

From what I have read in european press the SST gearbox does not mix with power increases and keeping your drivetrain warranty :)

USC
16th October 2008, 10:22 AM
1. You can get a new WRX with the luxo leather/sunroof pack for that price. Invariably it will be faster than the Lancer and probably a better handler with the new suspension tune. Heaps of tuning experience with the WRX.

2. The lancer price is nearly exactly the price of a Golf GTI with DSG! And option for option it matches the Golf (for price) as well except no leather for the Lancer. Not to mention the Golf has a plethora of tuning bits for it from the USA and Europe. Nothing much yet for the Lancer.

I do believe that the VRX 2.4L is a winner. Looks like a ralliart yet can be bought and registered by all those asian P plater students :P

From what I have read in european press the SST gearbox does not mix with power increases and keeping your drivetrain warranty :)

The golf gti is front wheel drive. who cares about leather? it will smell with time.

rjastra
16th October 2008, 11:11 AM
The golf gti is front wheel drive. who cares about leather? it will smell with time.

LOL @ Leather

It is funny to see in this climate of economic uncertainty and petrol prices that manufacturers like Subaru and Mitsubishi release cars that don't seem terribly good value for money and are gas-guzzlers!

These cars have economy figures we complain about in 4L 1700kg family cars!

Vectracious
16th October 2008, 11:16 AM
LOL @ Leather

It is funny to see in this climate of economic uncertainty and petrol prices that manufacturers like Subaru and Mitsubishi release cars that don't seem terribly good value for money and are gas-guzzlers!

These cars have economy figures we complain about in 4L 1700kg family cars!

I agree - fuel economy from Subies and even other Jap cars like Mazda and Mitsubishi are no-where near what Euro manufacturers are getting - Subaru is probably the worst of the lot - maybe something to do with the boxer design?

Wraith
16th October 2008, 11:33 AM

Yes, Wrx is one of those 'others' I was referring too :)

As for a Golf Gti with DSG and optioned up with leather etc. it'll end up costing over 50k on road !

SST can handle 470nm of continuos torque from technical literature I've seen/read - on the Evo 10 forum I'm a member of, lots of those guys are running heaps more (well over 500nm) with no problems...

As for tuning bits, no cars on Earth can match the plethora of Japanese types with their aftermarket choices in this aspect ! if not available now - give it a little time and you'll have more than enough choices to choose from for tuning ;)

Yes warranty will be void, but if you restrict yourself to a re-map only, it should be undetectable and the ralliart variant of the MIVEC will easily push the numbers noted in the posts above with a re-map :)

The 2.4ltr donk is a definite winner IMO too ! I'll bet a turbo version of this powerplant will be next for the future Evo series... :)

Wraith
16th October 2008, 11:41 AM
I agree - fuel economy from Subies and even other Jap cars like Mazda and Mitsubishi are no-where near what Euro manufacturers are getting - Subaru is probably the worst of the lot - maybe something to do with the boxer design?

Very true, even the DI 2.3ltr turbo Mazda engine for example averages 14-15ltrs/100km and if you thump it most of the time, you'll see 16-17ltrs/100km !

I know this from a good friend of mine I hang out with on a weekly basis who has one...and it's stock too !

However the Euro marks claims on theirs are also a little ambitious...for eg: the new DI 2.0 TFSI in the TTS is claimed to do 7.9ltrs/100km combined cycle, well from reasearch I've been doing on the TT owners forums, best I've seen is more like 11ltrs/100km...

Same for the BMW 135i TT IL6 3.0ltr claim is around 11's, average from owners is around 13-16ltrs/100km...

As I mentioned to BW in another thread, once you add forced induction to any petrol engine, be prepared for much higher fuel usage...

USC
16th October 2008, 11:42 AM

I dont mind fuel economy if I can get more than 200KW from a 2L 4 cylinder engine. They could probably add an electric motor to it to save on petrol...like the new camry hybrid...same 2.4L engine with an electric motor gives 6.9L per 100km.

Vectracious
16th October 2008, 11:52 AM
I dont mind fuel economy if I can get more than 200KW from a 2L 4 cylinder engine. They could probably add an electric motor to it to save on petrol...like the new camry hybrid...same 2.4L engine with an electric motor gives 6.9L per 100km.

fair enough about hipo 4 cylinders or forced induction engines - I'm talking about bog stock 2.0L engines that make about 90-100kW etc - I think the std 2.0 boxer in just a base model Impreza has an official figure in the 8-9's for fuel economy and the real world figure is much worse.

I suppose however you need to take into account that AWD is always going to bump up fuel consumption.

I'm trying to find specs about the VRX lancer - has it been released because on the website - they are saying the 2.4 only has 125kW? :confused:

Wraith
16th October 2008, 12:00 PM
fair enough about hipo 4 cylinders or forced induction engines - I'm talking about bog stock 2.0L engines that make about 90-100kW etc - I think the std 2.0 boxer in just a base model Impreza has an official figure in the 8-9's for fuel economy and the real world figure is much worse.

I suppose however you need to take into account that AWD is always going to bump up fuel consumption.

I'm trying to find specs about the VRX lancer - has it been released because on the website - they are saying the 2.4 only has 125kW? :confused:

N/A 2.4ltr @ 125kw is about right, ' if ' they're trying to also achieve max. efficiency, what are the torque figures, it should have good torque compared to N/A 2.0-2.2ltr donks :)

I'm sure they could extract alot more, but maybe they're going for economy in this engine range and offering the turbo 2.0ltr choices for performance...

bornwild
16th October 2008, 12:10 PM
Ange a leather bucket-seat&sunroof optioned GTi will cost you around $45k on-road. I sat down with a salesperson about 3 weeks ago.

Vectracious
16th October 2008, 12:26 PM
ah crap - getting confused with the VRX and the Ralliart because both have been mentioned in the same thread....

Wraith
16th October 2008, 12:27 PM
Ange a leather bucket-seat&sunroof optioned GTi will cost you around $45k on-road. I sat down with a salesperson about 3 weeks ago.

Really ?? that's a great deal !!!

Amazing what the drop off in demand and the current economic climate can do to new car pricing...

If I decide to go for and get an Audi, I hope I get as good a deal... :)

bornwild
16th October 2008, 12:31 PM
Yeah but keep in mind that they're trying to sell their GTi stock before the new Golf comes in :)

As for all the Mitsu's and Subbies....the only real value for money bargains are the WRX STi and the EVOX or XI whatever it is now...
The WRX and Rallyart are pretty crap. Also, the dual clutch box in the Mitsu is rumoured to be crap for tuning so yeah.

I just love how, when comparing cars as soon as one car is cheaper the argument is "ohh but if you spend x-amount $$$ you'll get y-amount of kW"....give me a Ford Fiesta anyday for $15k and I'll fit in the 2.5l I5 from the XR5 in it...with 200kW of power for less than another $30k and then let's talk performance :cool:

Wraith
16th October 2008, 12:56 PM
Yeah but keep in mind that they're trying to sell their GTi stock before the new Golf comes in :)

As for all the Mitsu's and Subbies....the only real value for money bargains are the WRX STi and the EVOX or XI whatever it is now...
The WRX and Rallyart are pretty crap. Also, the dual clutch box in the Mitsu is rumoured to be crap for tuning so yeah.

I just love how, when comparing cars as soon as one car is cheaper the argument is "ohh but if you spend x-amount $$$ you'll get y-amount of kW"....give me a Ford Fiesta anyday for $15k and I'll fit in the 2.5l I5 from the XR5 in it...with 200kW of power for less than another $30k and then let's talk performance :cool:

True, you can always do this or that to anything for x amount and it'll = this result...ah well whichever way people want to go... :)

Speaking of the new Fiesta range - I love them - pity we'll have to wait till 2010 to get em here :( one of those would make for an excellent DD ! :)

rjastra
16th October 2008, 01:54 PM
Speaking of the new Fiesta range - I love them - pity we'll have to wait till 2010 to get em here one of those would make for an excellent DD

2010? Sat in them at the Sydney Motorshow. RHD, KM/h speedo and the salemans gave exact pricing. I think they will be here sooner than 2010.

I think people have forgotten that a base model Golf GTi is cheaper than either of the Japanese competitors. DSG and leather are both $2500 options.

It would be quite easy to get a 3 door golf with dsg and leather on the road in the $43K range.

The new Golf GTI wont hit our shores until well into 2009 or early 2010. So, it is not in active runout mode.

The ultimate hot hatch at the moment would be the Megane R26.R. Has the nurburbring fwd hatch record of 8:17.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/07/02_renaultsport_r26r_press.jpg

bornwild
16th October 2008, 01:59 PM
May be so...but it's a Tin-can

Shaun
16th October 2008, 11:11 PM
2010? Sat in them at the Sydney Motorshow. RHD, KM/h speedo and the salemans gave exact pricing. I think they will be here sooner than 2010.

I think people have forgotten that a base model Golf GTi is cheaper than either of the Japanese competitors. DSG and leather are both $2500 options.

It would be quite easy to get a 3 door golf with dsg and leather on the road in the $43K range.

The new Golf GTI wont hit our shores until well into 2009 or early 2010. So, it is not in active runout mode.

The ultimate hot hatch at the moment would be the Megane R26.R. Has the nurburbring fwd hatch record of 8:17.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/07/02_renaultsport_r26r_press.jpg

But can you really class the Renault R26 as a " Everyday Hot Hatch" its a Stripped out version with a roll cage. Its soal purpose in life is to be uses on a track but road legal. Which means if you take it out of the running the Astra VXR / OPC still holds the lap record for a " Road running Hot Hatch arround the ring. Its the only way Renualt could go to the ring and upstage the VXR. Strip all the weight out of it.

Black Nugget
17th October 2008, 08:14 AM
But can you really class the Renault R26 as a " Everyday Hot Hatch" its a Stripped out version with a roll cage. Its soal purpose in life is to be uses on a track but road legal. Which means if you take it out of the running the Astra VXR / OPC still holds the lap record for a " Road running Hot Hatch arround the ring. Its the only way Renualt could go to the ring and upstage the VXR. Strip all the weight out of it.

It would be interesting to see the regular r26 versus the vxr considering the r26 has 168kw and LSD plus a very good write up by most mags

rjastra
17th October 2008, 09:19 AM
But can you really class the Renault R26 as a " Everyday Hot Hatch" its a Stripped out version with a roll cage.

I didn't call it the "everyday" hot hatch. I used the word ULTIMATE :)

USC
17th October 2008, 09:23 AM
I didn't call it the "everyday" hot hatch. I used the word ULTIMATE :)

It still has a huge arse:p

Hmmm....the new VRX now has the 2.4 engine...thats nice!! It used to have the same 2.0L engine as the ES and VR. That makes it a much better package. it has the similar power output to the camry 2.4.

the sporthatch does not look too bad either :)

They also have the ralliart lancer 177kw for $42490 without on road..is that good value?? is it 4WD?

JohnBu
17th October 2008, 09:37 AM

[/img]

unless you have fleet pricing available to you, the dealer I spoke to wouldn't sell a 3 door (in white) with dsg and leather for $43k.

i'm still waiting for the dealer to give me a call back the cocky bastard - that was 2 months ago.

if you think the Renaultsport Megane R26.R is fast, wait until they bring out the Renaultsport Megane R26.R.R.R.R.R haha

USC
17th October 2008, 10:25 AM
why r u guys craving golf gti`s? they are shit boxes with very poor bodykit....

rjastra
17th October 2008, 10:45 AM

Yes... of course they are....

rjastra
17th October 2008, 10:49 AM
unless you have fleet pricing available to you, the dealer I spoke to wouldn't sell a 3 door (in white) with dsg and leather for $43k.

i'm still waiting for the dealer to give me a call back the cocky bastard - that was 2 months ago.

Mate got a silver 3 door GTi for 40K on road just over a year ago (when the market was on a roll). But the car was in stock.

Take $700 off for metallic paint, add dsg and leather and you will be in the 43K-44K range.

SSS_Hoon
17th October 2008, 11:22 AM

lol, and the Asstray is a thing of beauty aint it :D

Getting a GTI on the road drive away for 43k with leather and DSG would be a tough ask that is for sure, you mighe be able to squeeze it at 43k plus on roads.

If you found a dealer that has what you want in stock and they have had it for awhile they will be more willing to deal on it, as their shipment's are based on what they sell. (from what i was told that is anyway)

SSS_Hoon

bornwild
17th October 2008, 11:25 AM
For everyone in the market for a GTi in Melbourne, go down to Geelong and ask for a 'fleet discount'...they'll give it to you. ;)

USC
17th October 2008, 11:48 AM
Dont buy cocky Golf Gti`s. You will go on the uncool board on Top Gear.

sooty
17th October 2008, 12:11 PM
Screw the GTi, go the new GTi Pirelli limited edition, still has a 2L turbo but puts out 169kw (over the standard 147kw) and 300nm (280nm). Will be a bit of a sleeper so look out for them, DSG does 0-100 in 6.6. Easiest way to tell if it's a Pirelli is it will have 5 spoke 18"s, and the body kit is a bit more pointy.
According to their catalogue though
GTi turbo FSI 3dr = $38,490 + ORC etc
GTi Pirelli 3dr = $47,990 + ORC etc
That's a LOT more dosh...:(

bornwild
17th October 2008, 12:55 PM
The Pirelly edition first came out about 2.5yrs ago :p

Did it just come in to AU??

It was rumoured that after the pirelli limited edition all golf GTis would have the same state of tune as the LE. Guess they were wrong.

sooty
17th October 2008, 12:57 PM
Did it just come in to AU??

Says 500 WILL be imported to Aus, so they may not even be hear yet..:confused:

xplosv57
17th October 2008, 07:26 PM
Yes, with a civilised driving style on any car, you could achieve great economy numbers, but once you stick the boot in on a very high powered forced inducted engine, good tune or not, it slurps the fuel like there's no tomorrow...

What you've stated above for the V8 sounds about right for a combined cycle with spirited driving thrown in...just ask Steve on here who has a slightly modded LS1, he achieves around 13 or so ltr/100km with civilised driving and as stated I got mine down to 11's, so your mate must be doing more 'peddle floor touching' than he's admitting too :D

My car for the last 2 -3 months has just been started for long periods of time and driven on short but quick bursts and still sits around 14l/100km lol!!! Seen under 10l/100km on long trips!!!

Same for the BMW 135i TT IL6 3.0ltr claim is around 11's, average from owners is around 13-16ltrs/100km...

As I mentioned to BW in another thread, once you add forced induction to any petrol engine, be prepared for much higher fuel usage...

The ones i've seen have been around 10-13l/100km, not much higher, we even raced 2 135i's over the weekend and was still round the 18-19l mark!!!

Some forced induction cars actually use less fuel than n/a, again LSx series being good examples, have seen forced induction cars use less fuel than modified n/a versions!!

Wraith
20th October 2008, 01:35 PM
Dont buy cocky Golf Gti`s. You will go on the uncool board on Top Gear.

LOL each to his own :)

I wouldn't not buy an Audi TTS or TTRS because I'm not a hairdresser :eek: :D LOL...

Wraith
20th October 2008, 01:38 PM
Screw the GTi, go the new GTi Pirelli limited edition, still has a 2L turbo but puts out 169kw (over the standard 147kw) and 300nm (280nm). Will be a bit of a sleeper so look out for them, DSG does 0-100 in 6.6. Easiest way to tell if it's a Pirelli is it will have 5 spoke 18"s, and the body kit is a bit more pointy.
According to their catalogue though
GTi turbo FSI 3dr = $38,490 + ORC etc
GTi Pirelli 3dr = $47,990 + ORC etc
That's a LOT more dosh...:(

Nice car D145, BUT essentially the same TFSI as the current Gti with a different ecu map !!!

You can map the current TFSI to 196kw and 410nm...anyways - be much cheaper to do that with a current Gti then pay more for the limited edition one, unless you wanted that stylised Perilli interior... :)

Wraith
20th October 2008, 01:41 PM
My car for the last 2 -3 months has just been started for long periods of time and driven on short but quick bursts and still sits around 14l/100km lol!!! Seen under 10l/100km on long trips!!!

The ones i've seen have been around 10-13l/100km, not much higher, we even raced 2 135i's over the weekend and was still round the 18-19l mark!!!

Some forced induction cars actually use less fuel than n/a, again LSx series being good examples, have seen forced induction cars use less fuel than modified n/a versions!!

That's excellent mileage from your LS1 Steve and certainly better than the 11's I managed from mine and further proof to what I stated in my easrlier posts for all the non-believers, ahem Mr Bornwild :p

Yeah, the 135i's will guzzle if pushed, on the 1er BMW forum, some of those guys have seen over 20ltrs/100km with hard driving and higher power ecu tunes...

SSS_Hoon
20th October 2008, 01:48 PM
lol, i am currently seeing (this morning on the way to work) 17.3L/100K in the SSS.

normally anywhere between 12-15L/100k.

In a need of a tune i think.....

More importantly a lighter right foot.:D

SSS_Hoon

SSS_Hoon
20th October 2008, 01:50 PM
Nice car D145, BUT essentially the same TFSI as the current Gti with a different ecu map !!!

You can map the current TFSI to 196kw and 410nm...anyways - be much cheaper to do that with a current Gti then pay more for the limited edition one, unless you wanted that stylised Perilli interior... :)

sorry wraith it aint the same GTI engine.

Its the Ed 30 (detuned S3) engine basically.

had a look at one at the motor show and not a big fan of the yellow though.

They are already here and some dealers have them already.

Expect about 5k avg ontop of normal GTI.

SSS_Hoon

Wraith
20th October 2008, 02:36 PM
sorry wraith it aint the same GTI engine.

Its the Ed 30 (detuned S3) engine basically.

had a look at one at the motor show and not a big fan of the yellow though.

They are already here and some dealers have them already.

Expect about 5k avg ontop of normal GTI.

SSS_Hoon

I stand corrected :)

And gotta say, if that's the case then you'd be getting something alot better, so definitely go for that one and not the current Gti !!!

That's also the same engine that's in the new TTS and it's over the S3's tune in that car and has the output potential of over 240kw and 450nm with a remap alone :)

MTM in Germany have a tune for this new DI TFSI at 280kw...niiiice :)

JohnBu
20th October 2008, 03:00 PM
I doubt that the GTI ed 30 is worth the extra money.

I do know that the current 2008 GTI engine is slightly different to the original 2005 MkV GTI engine.

I can't remember when exactly it came out, but, it was slightly harder to extract power of the current ones- I could be wrong. But if I'm correct, I'm sure emissions would be the cause of it.

PS. I'm still a tad skeptical with the peak power increase claims of all these generic maps.

Wraith
20th October 2008, 03:05 PM
I doubt that the GTI ed 30 is worth the extra money.

I do know that the current 2008 GTI engine is slightly different to the original 2005 MkV GTI engine.

I can't remember when exactly it came out, but, it was slightly harder to extract power of the current ones- I could be wrong. But if I'm correct, I'm sure emissions would be the cause of it.

PS. I'm still a tad skeptical with the peak power increase claims of all these generic maps.

Definitely the case, the new one has direct injection and higher compression ratios...so more power output potential with lower emissions :)

As for power outputs, I don't think they're fibbing !!! not the more reputable tuners anyway as they know alot of people will dyno their cars before after the tunes ;)

APR actually do dyno all their stuff anyway, so their numbers would be fairly accurate and for the TFSI they offer some very powerful gains on all the range of VW donks amongst others :)

Besides even if you left the new DI TFSI engine stock, it's a mighty little unit, as said in my TTS thread after having driven the thing, I'd be more than happy to even leave it as is, it's power and torque is ample enough :)

SSS_Hoon
20th October 2008, 04:22 PM
sorry wraith but your wrong again lol.

The MKV GTI which we have came out with forged internals(so im lead to believe) and 10.5:1 CR and was also the Direct Injection TFSI engine.

The current ones do not have the forged internals and run 10.3:1 CR still have the same direct injection TFSI a slightly upgraded turbo and same ECU with a diff map.

As for power outputs from VW they are fairly accurate, actually they are underrated i think.

The new GTI are still 147kw, but there has been at least 4 in Aus that have been to dyno days some even 2 more then one dyno day and they were all putting out 140 odd KW's at the wheels, where the 05-06 models were putting out about 126-130kw. There was something around ages ago that once the Ed 30 was released that all GTI after them would get the same ECU how true that is who knows. That is why its harder to get more power out of them with flash, as the flash is doing the same for the older ones and getting the same power figures, but better for the early ones as you get better bang for you buck so to speak.

Id still rather wait for the new GTI to come out if i were hunting for a GTI. Or get a 05 model.

SSS_Hoon

Shaun
20th October 2008, 04:27 PM

Because they are a " Poormans Audi "......... HAHA.

No they are well built for the money you pay for them. Something that VW pride them selves on atm.

However. I still think the Rallyart Lancer is good value for money in terms of the history behind Mistubishi and there EVO Range. Its the Same base running gear as the evo.

As for comments about the SST Bornsoft. Ill let you in on a little secret that everyone here and in the world should know.

EVERYTHING HAS A TOLLERANCE.....

The Beloved GTi Golf with DSG cant be tuned much more then the 170-180kw mark. Why rave on about the Golf when it incures the same issue as your saying the Lancer Rallyart is said to have (which i havent seen any eveidence to support this comment. ) Because Hot 4s recently went to a STi / EVO meet in Japan and there were several EVO X with SST fitted pulling some impressive figures.

The SST fitted to the

Wraith
20th October 2008, 04:52 PM
sorry wraith but your wrong again lol.

The MKV GTI which we have came out with forged internals(so im lead to believe) and 10.5:1 CR and was also the Direct Injection TFSI engine.

The current ones do not have the forged internals and run 10.3:1 CR still have the same direct injection TFSI a slightly upgraded turbo and same ECU with a diff map.

As for power outputs from VW they are fairly accurate, actually they are underrated i think.

The new GTI are still 147kw, but there has been at least 4 in Aus that have been to dyno days some even 2 more then one dyno day and they were all putting out 140 odd KW's at the wheels, where the 05-06 models were putting out about 126-130kw. There was something around ages ago that once the Ed 30 was released that all GTI after them would get the same ECU how true that is who knows. That is why its harder to get more power out of them with flash, as the flash is doing the same for the older ones and getting the same power figures, but better for the early ones as you get better bang for you buck so to speak.

Id still rather wait for the new GTI to come out if i were hunting for a GTI. Or get a 05 model.

SSS_Hoon

Hmmm, now you've got me totally confused...I'll have to get some specific model numbers or codes for the new TFSI direct injection engine in the new TTS which I've been told is exactly the same as in the new S3 engine, except for ecu tune !

I've got all the literature on the new TTS engine and it states that it has STRONGER internals than 'any previous' TFSI.

I assume this refers to the TFSI in the Golf Mk5.

This includes forged pistons, stronger rods and rod bolts, stronger crank, stronger re-designed block and re-designed head and cam profiles, the intake and exhaust manifoilds and air intake track are also different to the previous TFSI...compression is 10.5:1 - it features a revised version of the K04 turbo, I've read it's both larger and lighter than the K04's used in other applications, eg Opels, SAABS Maxda etc...

This has been done to assure reliable power over 200kw for future Audi models, but will eventually be used on some VW models - the only one listed at this time is a future Golf Mk6 Gti-R which you know about...

One thing's for sure, I can't see them going backwards and deleting forged pistons if the current TFSI already has them - I don't think the Mk5 Gti TFSI has forged pistons, but I could be wrong ???

I'll do some research and see what I can find out :)

Wraith
20th October 2008, 05:02 PM
Because they are a " Poormans Audi "......... HAHA.

No they are well built for the money you pay for them. Something that VW pride them selves on atm.

However. I still think the Rallyart Lancer is good value for money in terms of the history behind Mistubishi and there EVO Range. Its the Same base running gear as the evo.

As for comments about the SST Bornsoft. Ill let you in on a little secret that everyone here and in the world should know.

EVERYTHING HAS A TOLLERANCE.....

The Beloved GTi Golf with DSG cant be tuned much more then the 170-180kw mark. Why rave on about the Golf when it incures the same issue as your saying the Lancer Rallyart is said to have (which i havent seen any eveidence to support this comment. ) Because Hot 4s recently went to a STi / EVO meet in Japan and there were several EVO X with SST fitted pulling some impressive figures.

The SST fitted to the

Correct about SST and I've stated that in other posts on this thread, it'll run 470nm of continuous torque load reliably according to Mitsubishi literature AND as also previously stated as a member of the Evo 10 forum, I can tell you that some of those guys as well as tuners in Japan are running well over 500nm with no SST issues !!!

And of course, everything has a limit in the end :)

VW Golf Gti is a very nice o/a vehicle - there IS a reason why they are and have been the market leader in their class for years on end, they are good, no point disputing that !

Each to their own whether you like it or not, they may be a little overpriced, but then so to are all of the German cars from the VW group and other 'exotic' German marks, if you want one and can afford to buy it, why not :)

SSS_Hoon
20th October 2008, 05:15 PM
the Golf GTI DSG has its torque limited by the ECU as they were not too sure how well it would cope in the real world.

The TTS version is stronger again and i think the GTI only had forged pistons not rods where the TTS does and the TTS has a revised head design too. And the turbo is different also,as im fairly sure the GTI still only uses the K03 not the K04 turbo.

i too will dig about and see what i can come up with too.

SSS_Hoon

rjastra
20th October 2008, 08:41 PM
The Pirelli GTi is available in colour other than yellow :)

USC
21st October 2008, 01:34 AM
Just saw the new generation Golf gti in the wheel magazine (nov 2008 edition)...to be honest...it looks like poo. may be wonderfully engineered but man this thing looks ugly.

SSS_Hoon
21st October 2008, 05:56 AM
The Pirelli GTI is available in colour other than yellow :)

yeah i know it is, but the last thin i red on it was that the fist lot here were yellow only.

oh yeah i fixed your quote too :D

SSS_Hoon

Wraith
21st October 2008, 09:08 AM
yeah i know it is, but the last thin i red on it was that the fist lot here were yellow only.

oh yeah i fixed your quote too :D

SSS_Hoon

Yeh, yellow only, because it's meant to be a Perelli special edition thing...Perelli colours are yellow and black, so that's why it's that way :)

Also just for info, spoke to an Audi service technician early this morning (same dealer I went to for the TTS test drive) and he told me the engine in the new TTS is the same as the engine in the new S3 (but with more power as we know) but definitely not the same engine as in any of the VW Golf models...

He said he'd heard the new Golf Mk6 Gti's will also use this engine, but in different tunes, with a different version of the K04 (normal smaller one) the K04 fitted to the Audi cars has been re-worked and can flow much higher volume at much higher boost pressures...

I spoke to a guy from APS Australia a few weeks ago when I test drove the TTS regarding tunes, when I get some time, I'll call back and see what he can tell me regarding some specifics.

What APS told me then was interesting though as with just a software tune on the new S3 (they havn't got a hold of or done any new TTS's yet) they are achieving 240kw and 450nm...up from 195kw and 350nm, so should be identicle for the TTS.

Whereas a basic software tune on a Mk5 Gti will start at around 173kw and 290nm to about 195kw and 410nm with one of the most agressive maps.

The max. they can get from a Golf Gti is 228kw and 460nm, but that's with intake and exhaust as well, beyond that, the motor needs modding and parts (turbo etc.) need upgrading.

So that's a confirmation the TFSI in the S3 and TTS has far greater potential and is a stronger unit, mechanical parts wise :)

Quite a few O/S tuners have this engine at 250-280kw and almost 500nm, should only be a matter of time before APS can offer similar here :) I do also know that APS have tuned many DSG equipped vehicles to 450nm without anything going wrong, so that's re-assuring, as I definitely want to go with DSG if I get one these...

I'm just going to hang in and wait for the TTRS to be released and see what it's all about - hopefully all the speculation is true and it features an IL5 or 'VR5' (staggered inline 5) 2.4-2.5ltr with 250-260kw stock and the 7spd DSG (which is a much stronger unit than the 6spd DSG, although I've read that this trans is only going to be used on longitudinal engine mount configurations, not transverse engine mounts), we should know in a few months...

I've read an article on an Audi Swedish forum which stated that this new Audi engine has been mechanically endurance tested to a whopping 441kw :eek: without suffering any component failures...I can only guess Audi maybe want to use this donk in future rally endeavours ?? (as was the 1st quattro) that's why its been built to be so strong, but is an early indication into the massive tuning potential of that one...the Audi TTRS should be quite a machine, the price tag will be interesting...not :(

USC
21st October 2008, 09:32 AM
The new generation Golf Gti has 150KW and 280NM stock. Apparently, they have re-engineered even the door seals to make it quieter...

Pitty about the looks....:p

Wraith
21st October 2008, 10:39 AM
The new generation Golf Gti has 150KW and 280NM stock. Apparently, they have re-engineered even the door seals to make it quieter...

Pitty about the looks....:p

I think it's a pity VW won't bring in the Scirocco to Aust. because they reckon it'll kill the Golf sales...that's the real shame, that car looks fantastic and I'm sure lots of people here would be interested in one of those...

rjastra
21st October 2008, 01:29 PM
I think it's a pity VW won't bring in the Scirocco to Aust. because they reckon it'll kill the Golf sales...that's the real shame, that car looks fantastic and I'm sure lots of people here would be interested in one of those...

They haven't decided yet....

Wraith
21st October 2008, 01:49 PM
They haven't decided yet....

So there's still hope ?? that's good to hear :)

I'm sure most people would love them to, whatever sales they lose in Golfs, they'll have in Sciroccos, so why not...

For the die hard Gti fans, well they'll have their cake too with the introduction of the speculated Gti-R which I'm sure will be released...and probably be in the same price bracket as the Sti/Evo 10...