PDA

View Full Version : GM, Chrysler in merger talks

dieselhead
11th October 2008, 09:41 PM
The future looks pretty bleak for the American car manufacturers. In addition, Ford is looking to sell its Mazda shares. Why sell the best part of your company? Well, they've just got rid of Aston Martin and Jaguar as soon as they became profitable so is just following the trend then :(

More info here. (http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE49A0X420081011)

bornwild
11th October 2008, 09:59 PM
"American car manufacturers" has become the oxymoron of the 21st century

Black Nugget
14th October 2008, 10:54 PM
The future looks pretty bleak for the American car manufacturers. In addition, Ford is looking to sell its Mazda shares. Why sell the best part of your company? Well, they've just got rid of Aston Martin and Jaguar as soon as they became profitable so is just following the trend then :(

More info here. (http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE49A0X420081011)

Because thats the part they can actually generate money from - no one would buy any of their other mediocre brands.

Looks like a bit of a "fire sale" to me...

Not lookin good ford.

Wraith
15th October 2008, 09:47 AM
Hmmmm, interesting would love to know the 'actual' facts behind those sorts of mega corporate decisions !!!

What may seem on the surface quite stupid, would most probably have total justification, we as the general public just don't know all there is to know...

Black Nugget
15th October 2008, 09:52 AM
6Was looking at both of their stocks the other day on the NYSE, no wonder they are forced to sell assets!

Ford has dropped from $30 in 99 a share to now $2.50 and GM has gone from 81 to 6.50

so with both their debt and equity sides completey stuffed no wonder they are in bad shape!

rjastra
16th October 2008, 10:12 AM
Well... if you can make a profit out of selling a fringe, yet at the moment, profitable brand why not?

In a downward market, like we are in, do you think sales of Astons and Jaguars will rise or fall? And the cost of keeping prestige platforms up to date is enormous for the actual returns.

I think FORD were smart to ditch them while they could make a buck from the sale.

Volvo is a different kettle of fish. Most of those platforms are cross-shared with FORD.

Black Nugget
16th October 2008, 10:24 AM
Well... if you can make a profit out of selling a fringe, yet at the moment, profitable brand why not?

In a downward market, like we are in, do you think sales of Astons and Jaguars will rise or fall? And the cost of keeping prestige platforms up to date is enormous for the actual returns.

I think FORD were smart to ditch them while they could make a buck from the sale.

Volvo is a different kettle of fish. Most of those platforms are cross-shared with FORD.

yes it was a smart time to sell but i think it was coincidental that the world slipped into economic recession due to after the sale as the terms of the sale began way back in early 07.

also volvo is on the cards for sale but no suitable buyer has been found.

even without premium brands ford USA is in the shit with all car sales down majorly and a weak and thirsty model base

Its funny though how ford EU is such a completely different story in that they are prfoitable.

it would not suprise me if we see further severence of Ford US and Ford Eu or alternatively Ford EU taking the reigns of the Ford empire