PDA

View Full Version : Volt to be sold here

rjastra
9th October 2008, 04:49 PM
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=57556&vf=12

Funny if they decided to make them here...... ;)

Calibrated
9th October 2008, 04:52 PM
**** yes, awesome for a daily. and for that price not bad either!

no fuel costs for work travel :D

poita
9th October 2008, 04:59 PM
i like it, would be a good daily.
would get me to work and back for a week before it used and fuel :D

ASTRAY
9th October 2008, 05:11 PM
thats pretty good, charging in 3-8hrs and only drawing as much electricity as a fridge would.
hehe next we will all be comparing the fuel usage of our generators :D
same with me pete, my work as approx 5-6kms away, though as with all batts id say there is some loss while the car is just sitting there overnight etc.

dieselhead
9th October 2008, 05:13 PM
They should bring it now, why wait 4 years?! I'd have a white one, thanks.
Imagine, employers could install solar panels in the car park to charge your car while you work, for free :)

digifish
9th October 2008, 09:45 PM
They should bring it now, why wait 4 years?! I'd have a white one, thanks.
Imagine, employers could install solar panels in the car park to charge your car while you work, for free :)

This has been my point (http://www.opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18404). When e-vehicles hit, the market is going to change so fast it will make your head spin.

digifish

WoundWowfanAU
9th October 2008, 09:51 PM
Thats good news...... :)

good price..... :)

bornwild
9th October 2008, 09:53 PM
Or massive carparks could install solar panels on it's roof and while your car is parked it's being charged. :)

I like the idea of using renewable energy to charge these things, but if we are going to charge them using our existing network of coil-gas/powered plants then that's a massive no no

dieselhead
9th October 2008, 10:25 PM
Two interesting things, in my view, that will happen when e-cars hit the market:
1. we'll find out how green this bs government of rudd and swan really is; us using less fossil fuels will hit their coffers really hard, so what do you reckon will be their reaction?
2. what will happen to the resale value of our existing cars?

digifish
9th October 2008, 10:29 PM
Two interesting things, in my view, that will happen when e-cars hit the market:
1. we'll find out how green this bs government of rudd and swan really is; us using less fossil fuels will hit their coffers really hard, so what do you reckon will be their reaction?
2. what will happen to the resale value of our existing cars?

1. They will have to tax road use (registration) more heavily. ~50% of the price you pay for fuel is tax :(
2. Resale value will plummet.

digifish

bornwild
9th October 2008, 10:35 PM
Electricity prices will go through the roof....E-cars will only mean we're cleaner...if you'r expecting more money to spend on your weekend or holiday...forget it. Either way we'll end up at the same budget pressure.

It's equilibrium at its best my friend.

digifish
9th October 2008, 10:38 PM
Electricity prices will go through the roof....E-cars will only mean we're cleaner...if you'r expecting more money to spend on your weekend or holiday...forget it. Either way we'll end up at the same budget pressure.

Another possibilitiy I can think of ...

They will tax the cars more, e-cars will get very cheap compared to internal-combustion cars, so there will be more scope for up-front tax.

digifish

bornwild
9th October 2008, 10:40 PM
That's quite a possibility. Point of the story is, if e-cars sound too good to be true, they probably are...hang on, so is everything else. Bugger.

Gotta love life...

rjastra
The world financial meltdown will mean any thoughts of major C02 cuts are unlikely. We will be able to use coal to our hearts content for another decade or so :)

dieselhead

bah, you're talking like bloody McCain now :)

Some solar panels on your roof would protect you from high energy prices. Besides, the panel price should drop as technology develops and more consumers are using them.

bornwild
9th October 2008, 10:44 PM
I hate that little migget with passion. That little nam-****wit didn't even shake hands with Obama at the end of the debate...did you see that?

bornwild
9th October 2008, 10:50 PM
bah, you're talking like bloody McCain now :)

Some solar panels on your roof would protect you from high energy prices. Besides, the panel price should drop as technology develops and more consumers are using them.

Sadly, economy doesn't work that way. Don't wanna sound like a pessimist here.

The way it will work. As fossil fuels become more and more scarce, alternative methods will pick up in development but the price will remain stagnant if not drop by a few percent only. The logic behind this is "we can sell it at any price we want, we have leverage over the people". Like with fuel...why don't they(government+producers+middlemen) sell fuel at 80c...because they can sell it at $1.50. Simply because they can. :)

Now, this logic would reach extremes if the Government didn't have regulations. Sadly enough though, the Government has to be treated like a business body in this situation as well. They have to make a profit.

dieselhead
9th October 2008, 10:54 PM
yeah, I did see that. what do you expect? he is representing the morons that think America is not ready for a black president. they have been ready for a retard to lead them for 8 years, but not for a black dude, surely. what do you expect from a nation where 60% of them believe in the bible ad literam, with the talking snake and guys living for hundreds of years and stuff like that?! I hope they stay in the economic crisis forever. it will be tough for the rest of the world for a while, but we'll bounce back while America will go back to the wild west days. at least their guns are better nowadays, isn't it? :)

America is falling, just like the ruskies have in the early nineties. it's time we should see some leadership from our government, that goes beyond bloody reports and studies. spend a few billion to develop something like the Volt right here, for our market. what the hell are they waiting for?

bornwild
9th October 2008, 11:03 PM
Put it simply, Australia does not have the balls. We're all talk but no go.

What percentage of Australians are financialy and mentally ready to go through a crisis and get off their arse and earn their money properly? Not too many. That's what a century of natural resource prosperity and giving away land for free gets you to.

Countries like China, where people are used to working hard(though shit) have the upper hand in financial climates like this. It's unfortunate.

Every time I enter a Ford factory I see a piece of the future unfolding in front of my eyes. Cars are being produced only 2-shifts a day, 3 days a week. People are losing jobs, left, right and center. YET shopping centers have never been more packed. How does this work? People are lending money they do not have and money they are not sure of being able to repay. The same goes for banks.

This financial crisis is a direct result of the US attacking Afghanistan and Iraq. The US was borrowing so much money, that it will take half a century for them to repay it. And this $900 billion 'safety package' should be called a Doomday package. I know it's only about 10-15% of the US GDP but the US has far more problems in it's own country than just the financial crisis and the looming recession. It has no healthcare system, a very poor super annuation system and next to no outlook for sustainable energy production. So how do you think they are going to repay that?

I could talk about this all night long...

The solution is, the entire world will have to collectively rethink the financial logic. Humans will have to breed at 30-40% of the current rate. We are a pest for this world. Same as we call cockroaches a pest in our household, we are the biggest pest to the World.

rjastra
10th October 2008, 07:29 AM
Same as we call cockroaches a pest in our household, we are the biggest pest to the World.

May I suggest you don't breed then ;)

Wraith
10th October 2008, 08:35 AM
I agree with all you guys regarding the Volt ! :)

Looks good, will be efficient/cheap to run - hopefully this is - as long as domestic electricity prices don't start hitting the roof, with the mass introduction of electric cars that can be re-charged from your home powerpoint !!!

Here by 2012 is too late as stated by dieselhead - why not sooner GMH ???, damn they're slow like a snail on a wet weekend with introducing things in this Country :mad:

I'll be definitely looking for a new DD soon, I'll be happy to hang and wait for one of those in few years time, hopefully the Cali dosn't die on me before then...

Price is still in the air though, the article states 'over 30k' now hopefully that still stays somewhere south of 40k !!!

But by 2012 who knows what it'll be...

rjastra
10th October 2008, 09:08 AM
I think the 2012 local release is simply because GM KNOWS that they will have no surplus product to ship out of the USA until then. The car is released in 2010 in the USA and I am betting that it will be sold out for at least a year or two.

Wraith
10th October 2008, 09:30 AM
I think the 2012 local release is simply because GM KNOWS that they will have no surplus product to ship out of the USA until then. The car is released in 2010 in the USA and I am betting that it will be sold out for at least a year or two.

Ah, I see...so there is some justification for the 2012 intro date, fair enough then we'll all have to wait :)

bornwild
10th October 2008, 10:37 AM
They do still have issues with the Volt. It's a questionmark if we will see it in 2012 even...

bornwild
10th October 2008, 10:41 AM
May I suggest you don't breed then ;)

There is a difference between what we 'should' do and want to do ;)

rjastra
10th October 2008, 10:49 AM
There is a difference between what we 'should' do and want to do ;)

And that is exactly why we are in the current mess. People just don't have the courage of their convictions anymore :)

We are slaves to our biological imperatives and our general "me me me" desires - lol

bornwild
10th October 2008, 10:54 AM
No well, we are in the current mess because there are people out there who don't have 8yrs of school under their belt and once they see a credit card they think "ooooooo free money, I better get that".

The reason why we should breed less is because...well....food is becoming scarce.

Wraith
10th October 2008, 11:41 AM
No well, we are in the current mess because there are people out there who don't have 8yrs of school under their belt and once they see a credit card they think "ooooooo free money, I better get that".

The reason why we should breed less is because...well....food is becoming scarce.

Watched ACA earlier this week and they had that very same scenario on, showing young girls 18-22 were basically getting credit (10's of thousands, in fact enough to go out and buy brand new BMW's) on credit cards, without having collateral or even jobs to be able to do any re-payments ???

This easy credit give-a-ways is what crippled the U.S economy !

Bloody hell, what ever happened to days when bank managers sat you down in an interview and even with a good job behind you and a good cashed up bank account, you had to struggle and/or beg to get a loan...

It's just too easy for people with no job or no collateral or no means of ever re-paying a loan to get the money in the 1st place !

rjastra
10th October 2008, 11:55 AM

No, food is becoming more expensive because the USA wants to turn food crops into ethanol to put in their petrol to fuel their car fleet.

bornwild
10th October 2008, 08:17 PM
No, food is becoming more expensive because the USA wants to turn food crops into ethanol to put in their petrol to fuel their car fleet.

Dude, that barely just started. We have 6.3billion people on this planet. And how many of those can be ****ed farming in droughts/floods??

bornwild
10th October 2008, 08:19 PM
Watched ACA earlier this week and they had that very same scenario on, showing young girls 18-22 were basically getting credit (10's of thousands, in fact enough to go out and buy brand new BMW's) on credit cards, without having collateral or even jobs to be able to do any re-payments ???

This easy credit give-a-ways is what crippled the U.S economy !

Bloody hell, what ever happened to days when bank managers sat you down in an interview and even with a good job behind you and a good cashed up bank account, you had to struggle and/or beg to get a loan...

It's just too easy for people with no job or no collateral or no means of ever re-paying a loan to get the money in the 1st place !

That's the thing mate. And the sad part is that a lot of Governments do the same!!!!

digifish
19th October 2008, 09:06 AM
e-mini looks interesting, and shows how quickly this technology can be adapted to existing platforms...

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/18/la-preview-204-hp-lithium-battery-powered-mini-e-revealed/

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/10/p0047902-450.jpg

A NEW EXPERIENCE - DRIVING PLEASURE WITHOUT EMISSIONS: THE MINI E
10/18/2008

Woodcliff Lake, NJ - October 18, 2008... The BMW Group will be the world's first manufacturer of premium automobiles to deploy a fleet of some 500 all-electric vehicles for private use in daily traffic. The MINI E will be powered by a 150 kW (204 hp) electric motor fed by a high-performance rechargeable lithium-ion battery, transferring its power to the front wheels via a single-stage helical gearbox nearly without a sound and entirely free of emissions. Specially engineered for automobile use, the battery technology will have a range of more than 240 kilometers, or 150 miles. The MINI E will initially be made available to select private and corporate customers as part of a pilot project in the US states of California, New York and New Jersey. The possibility of offering the MINI E in Europe as well is currently being considered. The MINI E will give its world premiere at the Los Angeles Auto Show on November 19 and 20, 2008.
The MINI E's electric drive train produces a peak torque of 220 Newton meters, delivering seamless acceleration to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 8.5 seconds. Top speed is electronically limited to 152 km/h (95 mph). Featuring a suspension system tuned to match its weight distribution, the MINI E sports the brand's hallmark agility and outstanding handling.

By introducing the MINI E, the BMW Group is underscoring the resolve with which it works towards reducing energy consumption and emissions in road traffic. The BMW Group is drawing on its unique technological expertise in the field of drive systems to develop a vehicle concept enabling zero emissions without renouncing the joy of driving. Putting some 500 cars on the road under real daily traffic conditions will make it possible to gain widely applicable hands-on experience. Evaluating these findings will generate valuable know-how, which will be factored into the engineering of mass-produced vehicles.

The BMW Group aims to start series production of all-electric vehicles over the medium term as part of its Number ONE strategy. The development of innovative concepts for mobility in big-city conurbations within the scope of "project i" has a similar thrust, as its objective also includes making use of an all-electric power train.

The energy storage unit: cutting-edge lithium-ion technology engineered specifically for use in the MINI.

Based on the current MINI, the car will initially be available as a two-seater. The space taken up by back-seat passengers in the series model has been reserved for the lithium-ion battery. When in use in the zero-emissions MINI, the battery unit combines high output with ample storage capacity and a small footprint with power ratios that are unrivalled in this field of application so far. The lithium-ion storage unit will have a maximum capacity of 35 kilowatt hours (kWh) and transmit energy to the electric motor as direct current at a nominal 380 volts. The rechargeable battery is made up of 5,088 cells grouped into 48 modules. These modules are packaged into three battery elements that are compactly arranged inside the MINI E.

The energy storage unit's basic components are based on the technological principle that has proven itself in practice in power supplies for mobile phones and portable computers. The MINI E's lithium-ion battery can be plugged into all standard power outlets. Its charge time is strongly dependent on the voltage and amperage of the electricity flowing through the grid. In the USA, users can recharge a battery that has been completely drained within a very short period of time using a wallbox that will ship with every MINI E. The wallbox will be installed in the customer's garage, enable higher amperage, and thus provide for extremely short charging times. Wallboxes fully recharge batteries after a mere two-and-a-half hours.

Driven by electricity: reliably, affordably and free of emissions.

A full recharge draws a maximum of 28 kilowatt hours of electricity from the grid. Based on the car's range, a kilowatt hour translates into 5.4 miles. Besides the benefit of zero-emissions driving, the MINI E thus offers significant economic advantages over a vehicle powered by a conventional internal combustion engine as well.

The heavy-duty battery delivers its power to an electric motor, which transforms it into thrilling agility. Mounted transversely under the MINI E's bonnet, the drive train unleashes its full thrust from a dead standstill. This provides for the car's fascinating launch capability. The MINI E's intense driving experience is augmented by its dynamic deceleration potential, which is also directly coupled to the accelerator pedal. As soon as the driver releases the gas pedal, the electric motor acts as a generator. This results in braking force, and the power recovered from the kinetic energy is fed back to the battery. This interaction ensures extremely comfortable drives – especially at medium speed with constant, but marginal, variation. In city traffic, some 75 percent of all deceleration can be done without the brakes. Making substantial use of this energy recuperation feature extends the car's range by up to 20 percent.

Signature MINI agility in a new guise.

Weighing in at 1,465 kilograms (3.230 lbs), the MINI E has an even weight distribution. Minor modifications made to the suspension ensure safe handling at all times. The Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) system has been adapted to this model's specific wheel loads.

The MINI E's brake system comes with a newly developed electric underpressure pump. Its Electrical Power Assisted Steering (EPS) is the same as the one used in mass-produced MINIs. Both brake and steering assistance react to driving conditions and are thus extremely efficient. Even the air conditioning's electrical compressor only operates if desired or necessary.

Design: unmistakably MINI, undoubtedly new.

At first glance, the MINI E is obviously an iteration of the brand. But its design, which is the blueprint for the zero-emissions two-seater, has been complemented by a number of visual cues that point to its revolutionary drive concept. All of the units produced for the pilot project will have the same paintwork and bear a serial number on their front fenders.

The MINI E's coachwork sports an exclusive combination of metallic Dark Silver on all panels but the roof, which is clad in Pure Silver. What distinguishes the zero-emissions MINI is a specially designed logo in Interchange Yellow, depicting a stylized power plug in the shape of an "E" set against the silver backdrop. It has been applied to the roof, in smaller dimensions to the front and back, to the charger port lid, the dashboard trim, and – combined with the MINI logo – to the door jamb, in slightly modified form. The color of the roof edges, mirror housings, interior style cues and seat seams will match the logo's yellow tone as well.

Moreover, the central gauge and the battery level indicator behind the wheel of the MINI E, which replaces the MINI's rev counter, feature yellow lettering against a dark grey background. The battery level is displayed in percentage figures. The central gauge includes an LED display indicating power consumption in red and power recuperation in green.

MINI E customers will be part of a pioneering mission.

A 500-unit, limited-production MINI E series will be manufactured through the end of 2008. The project will thus attain an order of magnitude that clearly exceeds the size of currently comparable test series. Putting the MINI E on the road on a daily basis will be a pioneering feat to which both the drivers and engineers of the first zero-emissions MINI will contribute as a team.

MINI E customers will join forces with BMW Group experts to assist in the project's scientific evaluation. MINI E engineers accord high importance to staying in touch with the drivers on a regular basis, as this will help them analyze driver behavior besides vehicle characteristics in order to gain the most accurate and realistic picture of the demands placed on a vehicle with a purely electrical drive in the select usage areas.

Special charging station and full service for every MINI E.

The cars will change hands based on a one-year lease with an extension option. Monthly lease installments will cover any required technical service including all necessary maintenance and the replacement of wearing parts. At the end of the lease, all of the automobiles belonging to the project will be returned to the BMW Group's engineering fleet where they will be subjected to comparative tests.

The MINI E's lithium-ion battery can be charged using a wallbox provided to MINI customers. Only lockable garages or similar buildings will qualify as homebases and power stations for the MINI E.

Maintenance by qualified specialists.

The electric drive's high-voltage technology requires that maintenance work be done by qualified personnel using special tools that are not included in MINI service partners' standard toolboxes. In light of this, a service base will be set up on both coasts, staffed by service engineers that are specially trained to perform maintenance and repair work on the MINI E's electrical components. In the event of drive malfunction, these experts will provide professional support at the customer's local MINI dealer or the service base's specially equipped workshop. Technical inspections will take place after 3,000 miles (just under 5,000 kilometers) and at least after six months.

Production in Oxford and Munich.

The MINI E has already gone through the major phases of product development for mass-produced vehicles and passed numerous crash tests on the way. Aspects investigated besides passenger protection were the impact of collision forces on the lithium-ion battery and finding a non-hazardous location for it in the car. The MINI E's energy storage unit emerged completely unscathed from all of the crash tests mandated by US standards, which are especially high.

Production of the approximately 500 cars will take place at the company's Oxford and Munich sites and is scheduled for completion before the end of 2008. MINI's UK plant will be responsible for manufacturing the entire vehicle with the exception of the drive components and the lithium-ion battery, with the brand's series models rolling off its assembly lines concurrently. The units will then be transferred to a specially equipped manufacturing complex situated on BMW plant premises where the electric motor, battery units, performance electronics and transmission will be integrated.

Wraith
20th October 2008, 09:53 AM
That's great to see activity on this technology from manufacturers across the board...

Look forward to some of these coming to market before too long :)

I really like that Volt, but I'm confident it won't be as cheap as what's speculated ATM...that's what's going to tamper these vehicles if it happens and that is high purchase prices...well have to just wait and see what happens.

digifish
20th October 2008, 09:57 AM
That's great to see activity on this technology from manufacturers across the board...it won't be as cheap as what's speculated ATM...that's what's going to hamper these vehicles if it happens and that is high purchase prices...well have to just wait and see what happens.

I suppose the equivalent of 15~25 cents/litre running costs may sway a few people :)

digifish

Wraith
20th October 2008, 10:07 AM
I suppose the equivalent of 8~16 cents/litre running costs may sway a few people :)

digifish

Yes, the cheap 'fuel' wise speaking running costs will be the main if only aspect that attracts people to buy one - this is afterall their reason for being in the 1st place :)

But if they also present a high 'maintanance' wise running costs issues, then this will no doubt play against them...

And then depending on what will be the final purchase price, people will factor (as they do with diesels) the actual saving in running costs long term, to see how long it takes to make up the difference in the purchase price and if it's all worth it in the 1st place...

If however they are reasonably/competatively priced, they will be a winner :)

digifish
20th October 2008, 10:40 AM
Yes, the cheap 'fuel' wise speaking running costs will be the main if only aspect that attracts people to buy one - this is afterall their reason for being in the 1st place :)

But if they also present a high 'maintanance' wise running costs issues, then this will no doubt play against them...

:)

Based on the reasonable running costs of the Priass (that is a Hybrid abomination IMO :) ) and good battery life they are demonstrating, I would not expect there to be any nasty surprises. The 'all electric' cars should be even less of a problem again. Once the volume is up, these battery packs will fall dramatically in price, they are currently similar to an engine replacement. And appear to be lasting 5-7 years.

People who were running the EV-1's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_EV1) and are currently running the Toyota e-Rav (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_RAV4_EV)were/are reporting very low maintenance running costs.

digifish

MatsHolden
20th October 2008, 11:50 AM
Anyone know whether plug-in electric vehicles will cause issues with lagging/leading power factor like the 'evironmentally friendly' compact fluorescent lamps will have?

Wraith
20th October 2008, 12:24 PM
Based on the reasonable running costs of the Priass (that is a Hybrid abomination IMO :) ) and good battery life they are demonstrating, I would not expect there to be any nasty surprises. The 'all electric' cars should be even less of a problem again. Once the volume is up, these battery packs will fall dramatically in price, they are currently similar to an engine replacement. And appear to be lasting 5-7 years.

People who were running the EV-1's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_EV1) and are currently running the Toyota e-Rav (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_RAV4_EV)were/are reporting very low maintenance running costs.

digifish

If that ends up being the case, then we're onto a good thing - the only unknown ATM is definitive pricing of the vehicles...

The other issue we need to constantly keep in mind and as I mentioned earlier in this thread, is how or not domestic electricity prices will be affected ??

The simple fact is ' if ' power point plug in and charge up cars become common place, the price of electricity will rise without doubt...

I can see/predict all manner of funny stuff going on to prevent high charges, like people by passing their electric metres etc. as has been done and caught out in the past by numerous people...

I for one will cover up or get rid of my external power points - might catch one of the neighbours with an extension cord running over the fence and charging up at my expense :mad: LOL :)

Wraith
20th October 2008, 12:25 PM
Anyone know whether plug-in electric vehicles will cause issues with lagging/leading power factor like the 'evironmentally friendly' compact fluorescent lamps will have?

No idea Mat...:confused:

Can you explain this one further...

MatsHolden
20th October 2008, 01:17 PM
No idea Mat...:confused:

Can you explain this one further...

It's pretty complicated and I don't know the full ins and outs of it, but some things make a leading power factor and some make a lagging power factor. Basically unbalances/overloads the grid. In some cases they have to shut down blocks of say 30,000 houses at a time to allow the levels to even out again.

bornwild
20th October 2008, 01:20 PM
Ahh yeah I get ya. Yeah I think that's a good point Mat. As electric cars pick up in use it will definitely become a problem for the grid.

I mean, energy production is, as is, a problem already. Very good point Mat.

Wraith
20th October 2008, 01:21 PM
It's pretty complicated and I don't know the full ins and outs of it, but some things make a leading power factor and some make a lagging power factor. Basically unbalances/overloads the grid. In some cases they have to shut down blocks of say 30,000 houses at a time to allow the levels to even out again.

Ah, I see...

Maybe 'operating parameters' will be set in future to regulate this, eg: only able to charge up at certain times and certain days to avoid overloading power grids...

Similar maybe to our water restriction rules where odd and even house numbers on alternative days and only after hours electric charging or something along those lines :)

bornwild
20th October 2008, 01:24 PM
That wouldn't be too practical though, would it?

We have enough restrictions in our lives as is, one more won't do any good :p

"Oh honey, it's TUESDAY I can't drive you to the hospital, sorry love" :D

Wraith
20th October 2008, 01:31 PM
That wouldn't be too practical though, would it?

We have enough restrictions in our lives as is, one more won't do any good :p

"Oh honey, it's TUESDAY I can't drive you to the hospital, sorry love" :D

Well on most days it'd be fine - emergencies would ultimately take precedence over 'the rule' :)

rjastra
20th October 2008, 01:34 PM
Of course the ETS etc are predicted to see a substantial rise in electricity prices over the next 5-10yrs. Something that needs to be factored into calculations.

Wraith
20th October 2008, 01:44 PM
Of course the ETS etc are predicted to see a substantial rise in electricity prices over the next 5-10yrs. Something that needs to be factored into calculations.

As said 7 posts prior to yours :)

This will be an interesting issue ;)

digifish
21st October 2008, 04:39 PM
More on the e-mini. Looks like range is ~240 km, useful.

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=58098&vf=12

he car that became famous for its diminutive dimensions and go-kart handling has joined the electric revolution. And a production version could be sold in Australia, reports JEZ SPINKS. http://images.drive.com.au/drive_images/Editorial/2008/10/21/01miniE_m_m.jpg (http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=58099&vf=12&GalleryType=1&ReferringArticleID=58098)

The car that made its name as an icon of the Swinging ’60s is powering into the 21st century with an all-electric version that could be sold in Australia.
BMW has revealed the Mini E, a zero-emission, two-seat version of its famous hatchback that will be leased to 500 Americans as part of a one-year trial.
If the scheme is successful, an electric Mini is likely to go into production within a few years.
If it goes into production the electric Mini could join other electric cars planned for Australia, including the diminutive Smart Fortwo, the Chevrolet Volt and a production version of Nissan’s radical Mixim.
Mini Australia says it’s too early to say when the Mini E could go on sale, but is interested in bringing the model down-under if built.
“We would look favourably at making [the electric Mini] available locally,” says Mini Australia spokesman Toni Andreevski.
“[But] it’s early days. The idea is to see how it works [through the trial], and to make sure customers are comfortable with the [electric] technology.”
Andreevski admits the electric Mini would likely follow current petrol-electric hybrids by commanding a premium over the regular model, costing “probably from a bit more to quite a lot more”.
The Mini E is based on the regular Mini three-door hatch but swaps its conventional internal-combustion engines for an electric motor.
The electric motor is powered by a lithium-ion battery pack and produces 150kW and 220Nm – sufficient to make the Mini E 1.9 seconds (8.5sec) quicker in the 0-100km/h sprint than the 460kg-lighter Mini Cooper.
BMW has limited the E’s top speed to 152km/h, with the car focused on city driving.
However, the large, 260kg battery and electric transmission (located by rear axle) take the place of the Mini’s rear seats, making the Mini E a two-seater only. (Some would suggest the limited rear legroom in the regular Mini effectively makes it a two-seater, too.)
http://images.drive.com.au/drive_images/Editorial/2008/10/21/07miniE_m_t.jpg (http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=58099&vf=12&GalleryType=1&ReferringArticleID=58098)http://images.drive.com.au/drive_images/Editorial/2008/10/21/03miniE_m_t.jpg (http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=58099&vf=12&GalleryType=1&ReferringArticleID=58098)http://images.drive.com.au/drive_images/Editorial/2008/10/21/05miniE_m_t.jpg (http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=58099&vf=12&GalleryType=1&ReferringArticleID=58098)http://images.drive.com.au/drive_images/Editorial/2008/10/21/02miniE_m_t.jpg (http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=58099&vf=12&GalleryType=1&ReferringArticleID=58098)

BMW says the Mini E has a range of 240km, which can be extended by up to 290km through regenerative braking.
Kinetic energy is fed to the battery whenever the driver lifts their foot off the accelerator pedal.
Mini Es leased in the initial trial areas of Los Angeles, New York and New Jersey will come standard with a ‘wallbox’, which will be fitted into customers’ garages for convenient recharging.
The Mini E’s battery can be charged fully in about two-and-a-half hours. (The Mini E’s connecting socket sits behind a conventional-looking ‘fuel filler’ cap.)
BMW says it has tweaked the Mini E’s suspension to ensure that the abnormal weight distribution created by the battery pack doesn’t upset the hatch’s signature go-kart handling abilities.
Inside, the most notable difference between the E and regular Mini (apart from the missing rear seats) is the swapping of the tachometer for a battery power gauge that tells the owner how much charge is remaining – from between 0 and 100 per cent.
While Minis are famous for their virtually unlimited customisation options, the 500 Mini Es look identical.
Each features a silver roof and dark silver bodywork, with yellow power plug symbols (the largest on the roof) marking the E as an electric Mini.
The Mini E will debut on November 19 at the Los Angeles motor show. The 500 models will be built at the Mini production plant in Oxford, England, though the battery, electric motor, transmission and relating electronics will be added at BMW in Munich.
The electric technology is unlikely to be restricted to Mini within the BMW Group.
The German car maker’s ‘Project i’ is exploring a micro electric car designed specifically for mega-cities, though it’s not yet clear whether the car will carry the BMW badge or sit under a new brand name similar to the Mercedes and Smart set-up.

Wraith
21st October 2008, 08:55 PM
More on the e-mini. Looks like range is ~240 km, useful.

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=58098&vf=12

he car that became famous for its diminutive dimensions and go-kart handling has joined the electric revolution. And a production version could be sold in Australia, reports JEZ SPINKS. http://images.drive.com.au/drive_images/Editorial/2008/10/21/01miniE_m_m.jpg (http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=58099&vf=12&GalleryType=1&ReferringArticleID=58098)

The car that made its name as an icon of the Swinging ’60s is powering into the 21st century with an all-electric version that could be sold in Australia.
BMW has revealed the Mini E, a zero-emission, two-seat version of its famous hatchback that will be leased to 500 Americans as part of a one-year trial.
If the scheme is successful, an electric Mini is likely to go into production within a few years.
If it goes into production the electric Mini could join other electric cars planned for Australia, including the diminutive Smart Fortwo, the Chevrolet Volt and a production version of Nissan’s radical Mixim.
Mini Australia says it’s too early to say when the Mini E could go on sale, but is interested in bringing the model down-under if built.
“We would look favourably at making [the electric Mini] available locally,” says Mini Australia spokesman Toni Andreevski.
“[But] it’s early days. The idea is to see how it works [through the trial], and to make sure customers are comfortable with the [electric] technology.”
Andreevski admits the electric Mini would likely follow current petrol-electric hybrids by commanding a premium over the regular model, costing “probably from a bit more to quite a lot more”.
The Mini E is based on the regular Mini three-door hatch but swaps its conventional internal-combustion engines for an electric motor.
The electric motor is powered by a lithium-ion battery pack and produces 150kW and 220Nm – sufficient to make the Mini E 1.9 seconds (8.5sec) quicker in the 0-100km/h sprint than the 460kg-lighter Mini Cooper.
BMW has limited the E’s top speed to 152km/h, with the car focused on city driving.
However, the large, 260kg battery and electric transmission (located by rear axle) take the place of the Mini’s rear seats, making the Mini E a two-seater only. (Some would suggest the limited rear legroom in the regular Mini effectively makes it a two-seater, too.)
http://images.drive.com.au/drive_images/Editorial/2008/10/21/07miniE_m_t.jpg (http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=58099&vf=12&GalleryType=1&ReferringArticleID=58098)http://images.drive.com.au/drive_images/Editorial/2008/10/21/03miniE_m_t.jpg (http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=58099&vf=12&GalleryType=1&ReferringArticleID=58098)http://images.drive.com.au/drive_images/Editorial/2008/10/21/05miniE_m_t.jpg (http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=58099&vf=12&GalleryType=1&ReferringArticleID=58098)http://images.drive.com.au/drive_images/Editorial/2008/10/21/02miniE_m_t.jpg (http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=58099&vf=12&GalleryType=1&ReferringArticleID=58098)

BMW says the Mini E has a range of 240km, which can be extended by up to 290km through regenerative braking.
Kinetic energy is fed to the battery whenever the driver lifts their foot off the accelerator pedal.
Mini Es leased in the initial trial areas of Los Angeles, New York and New Jersey will come standard with a ‘wallbox’, which will be fitted into customers’ garages for convenient recharging.
The Mini E’s battery can be charged fully in about two-and-a-half hours. (The Mini E’s connecting socket sits behind a conventional-looking ‘fuel filler’ cap.)
BMW says it has tweaked the Mini E’s suspension to ensure that the abnormal weight distribution created by the battery pack doesn’t upset the hatch’s signature go-kart handling abilities.
Inside, the most notable difference between the E and regular Mini (apart from the missing rear seats) is the swapping of the tachometer for a battery power gauge that tells the owner how much charge is remaining – from between 0 and 100 per cent.
While Minis are famous for their virtually unlimited customisation options, the 500 Mini Es look identical.
Each features a silver roof and dark silver bodywork, with yellow power plug symbols (the largest on the roof) marking the E as an electric Mini.
The Mini E will debut on November 19 at the Los Angeles motor show. The 500 models will be built at the Mini production plant in Oxford, England, though the battery, electric motor, transmission and relating electronics will be added at BMW in Munich.
The electric technology is unlikely to be restricted to Mini within the BMW Group.
The German car maker’s ‘Project i’ is exploring a micro electric car designed specifically for mega-cities, though it’s not yet clear whether the car will carry the BMW badge or sit under a new brand name similar to the Mercedes and Smart set-up.

Sounds good...I'm definitely liking the idea of a 'good n proper' electric car as a future DD vehicle :)

Prob. for me with this one though is I've never been a fan of the Mini, past or present...so will probably consider the other alternative models forecast to come to market around the same time :)

Unless they re-design the Mini to something alot nicer, especially that weird interior - I mean WTF is going on with the dash and dial cluster design in there :confused: yeeeesh...

glider
22nd October 2008, 07:42 AM
funny how these all make the G-wiz look like a joke... i mean look at the specs...

Top Speed: 80km/hr
Charge Time: 80% in 2.5hrs 100% in 8hrs
Motor: 13kw 52nm
Battery: 8x 6v 200AH Lead Acid
Range: 80km

rjastra
22nd October 2008, 09:38 AM
460kg weight gain.... One would think it would lose most of the Mini chuckibility and handling.
Only seat two people as well.

digifish
22nd October 2008, 09:41 AM
460kg weight gain.... One would think it would lose most of the Mini chuckibility and handling.
Only seat two people as well.

Early days I suppose. The weight can however be kept low which may actually make it feel more planted...and ride better... BTW here's an e-997 Porsche -

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=2&article_id=718

http://m1.2mdn.net/viewad/817-grey.gif (http://ad.doubleclick.net/click;h=v8/3760/0/0/%2a/c;44306;0-0;0;17695427;17619-558/40;0/0/0;;%7Eokv=;mak=ruf;mod=;year=2008;rt_article=7182; dcove=d;tile=9;loc=top;sz=558x40;%7Eaopt=2/1/3130/0;%7Esscs=%3f) http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/rt.new.mark.dfp/noscript;tile=9;loc=top;sz=558x40;ord=%5Btimestamp %5D? http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/image/2008/W43/10212008152414.jpg (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:standardgallerypop%281552,1%29;)

Slideshow: 2008 E-Ruf Concept Model A >> (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:standardgallerypop%281552,1%29;)
Pfaffenhausen, Germany — Just as we are wrapping up the details with Alois Ruf regarding our long-awaited drive of his 700-bhp CTR3 supercar (http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=10&article_id=7181), he drops a bombshell before he hangs up the phone, "How would you like to drive a top-secret Ruf that has been under development?"
http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/image/2008/W43/1021200815243.jpg (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:standardgallerypop%281552,23%29;)[/URL]

Huh? Could this be a Ruf even more powerful than the already frighteningly potent CTR3 (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:standardgallerypop%281552,23%29;)? Without hesitation, I said an emphatic "Yes!" — not waiting to even begin guessing what the secret Ruf project could be. Several follow-up phone calls and a couple of weeks later, I arrived at Pfaffenhausen to sample Ruf's latest creation: the E-Ruf, an all-electric concept car based on the Porsche 997.
After an early morning appointment with Ruf at his headquarters, we take a short drive to his skunk works, a nearby location he calls Gmünd — the city in Austria where Ferry Porsche first set up shop and built the famed 356. It's a foggy morning, and Ruf's secret R&D location emerges among a nondescript cluster of other buildings. As the garage door rolls up, a standard black 997 appears, wearing four large orange stickers with the word "Erprobungsfahrt," that is, "Test Drive," on the front and rear bumpers. Look closely and you'll notice that all the air scoops in the front, sides and back of the 997 are now filled in and smoothed over. Peering into the cockpit, you'll see a dash filled with test gauges and a center stack equipped with several switches and connectors. Gone are the rear seats, replaced with a big hump just touching the back of the front seats.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/image/2008/W42/101720081347237900.jpg (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:standardgallerypop%281552,10%29;)

It was about two years ago that Ruf decided to partner with Calmotors of Camarillo, California, to develop an all-electric powertrain package for the Porsche 997. At the heart of the E-Ruf is a 200-lb. electric motor built by UQM Technologies in the U.S. The drum-shaped, brushless a.c. motor — 15.9 in. in diameter and 9.5 in. in length — resides right where the internal-combustion flat-6 normally would. Its system voltage is between 300 to 420 volts at 550 amperes; the motor peaks at 5000 rpm. It generates 150 kW (200 horsepower) and 479 lb.-ft. of torque. Energy storage onboard comes in the form of 96 lithium-ion batteries manufactured by Axeon of Great Britain. Each of these 3.3-volt cells has a life cycle of 3000 charges. In total, the battery pack takes 10 hours to fully charge at 16 amps.

Like many concept cars (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:standardgallerypop%281552,10%29;), the E-Ruf is an early prototype, by no means a production-ready car. Subsequent models will follow as the development progresses. In fact, this E-Ruf still retains the 997 clutch and the 6-speed manual transmission. In its final iteration, only one gear is necessary because an electric motor's torque output is instant and the speed is easily reached without multiple gears. And further, there is no need for a reverse gear because you can simply reverse the current and spin the electric motor backward.
But unlike many concept cars, the E-Ruf is driveable. With 479 lb.-ft. of torque available the instant you tip in on the accelerator, the E-Ruf moves off quickly with minimal fuss. As the mechanical sound you hear is the whine from the electric motor, wind and tire noise suddenly become more noticeable. In fact, you feel like you're in a spaceship blasting through the galaxy (especially in the thick fog). To slow down, regenerative braking is currently set at about 25 percent, pending final evaluations to achieve optimal brake feel.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/image/2008/W42/1017200818192.jpg (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:standardgallerypop%281552,8%29;)

On winding roads, the E-Ruf's 4200-lb. weight is apparent as soon as you make a quick steering input. The batteries alone weigh some 1200 lb., and occupy all of the trunk space up front and all of the room inside the big hump where the back seat used to be. Naturally, the balance of the car is not nearly (nor is expected to be) the same as the standard 997's. Ruf would like the E-Ruf to hit 60 mph in under 7 seconds, reach a top speed of 160 mph and have a maximum range of between 155 to 200 miles depending on driving conditions. We can also expect improved handling worthy of the Ruf name.
Alternative power must be on all car enthusiasts' minds. Will electric, or other sources of energy, take away the excitement, speed and handling we've long associated with internal-combustion gasoline-burning sports cars? Nobody knows for sure, but it's reassuring to know that Alois Ruf doesn't think car enthusiasm and environmental friendliness are on divergent paths. And people like Ruf keep large manufacturers on their toes by accomplishing something without a huge budget. We can't wait to drive the E-Ruf in its final form.
[URL="http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=10&article_id=7181"]
(http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:standardgallerypop%281552,8%29;)

Wraith
22nd October 2008, 11:19 AM
Hmmmm, very nice ^^^^

But no doubt the future electric Porsche product will be just as ridiculously priced as they always have been with their fossil fuel powered vehicles...

digifish
22nd October 2008, 12:50 PM
...meanwhile back in OZ, the CSIRO reinvents the lead-acid battery...

http://images.drive.com.au/drive_images/Editorial/2008/10/22/22battery_m_m.jpg

The CSIRO has cracked a major obstacle to no-emission driving - the cost of the battery. By IAN PORTER.
CSIRO scientist John Wright with the UltraBattery test vehicle at the Milford proving ground in the UK.

The CSIRO has surprised the car industry by developing a battery that is ideally suited to electric and hybrid cars and cracks one of the main problems for automotive batteries - their cost.
While carmakers around the world have been spending billions of dollars developing state-of-the-art batteries to power their forthcoming "green" cars, the CSIRO has combined new technology with proven old technology, the lead-acid battery, to come up with a viable solution to no-emission driving.

It is called the UltraBattery and is a more sophisticated version of what the CSIRO and Holden did in 2000 with the ECOmmodore hybrid. In that case, lead-acid batteries were combined with supercapacitors in what was then the largest application of supercapacitors ever attempted.

But that system required an elaborate electronic management system to mesh the two types of storage together.
Now principal researcher Lan Trieu Lam has devised a way of combining a supercapacitor inside a lead-acid battery which avoids all the complicated management gear.
The supercapacitor makes it possible to use a lead-acid battery in a car. Lead-acid batteries do not accept rapid charges of electricity and do not discharge rapidly. Rapid charges usually buckle the lead plates in the battery.

Hybrid cars use regenerative braking to eke out their electric charge and the batteries must be able to accept a surge of power. The supercapacitor in the UltraBattery handles the surges of power in and out and also improves the operating range of the battery, according to David Lamb, who worked on the ECOmmodore and is now a consultant to CSIRO's Energy Transformed flagship.
"A lead-acid battery usually works best when it is charged to between 30% and 70% of its capacity," Mr Lamb said.
"We found the carbon in the supercapacitor increased the range of the lead-acid battery, giving increased power and durability."
The UltraBattery has been under constant test this year in a test vehicle at the Milford proving ground in the UK, clocking up 185,000 kilometres to date without battery damage - that's the equivalent of around nine years of normal driving. "It's a clever idea, and it's low cost," said Andrew Burke, a research engineer at the Institute of Transport Studies at the University of California, Davis. However, in an interview with New Scientist magazine, Mr Burke pointed out that the UltraBattery had yet to undergo independent tests. Mr Lamb admits that the UltraBattery suffers from the same weight problem as all lead-acid batteries but, after running back-to-back tests, he believes it will still be attractive to carmakers.

The test pitted a car with the UltraBattery against a car with a lighter nickel-metal hydride (NiMH) battery.
"The UltraBattery was 60% heavier than the other battery. The extra weight meant we did not get as good fuel economy.
"We suffered a 2.85% deterioration in fuel economy against the NiMH battery. That's the bad news.
"The good news is that it is around $2000 cheaper than the NiMH battery."
CSIRO's production partner, Furukawa, of Japan, will start producing the UltraBattery in 2009 while a US company, East Penn, will also start manufacturing the battery.

digifish
22nd October 2008, 09:30 PM
...now VW with a diesel electric hybrid

British mag tries out the VW Golf Twin-Drive, 94.1 mpg (2.5 l / 100 km)!

Posted Oct 21st 2008 at 11:14AM by Sam Abuelsamid (http://www.autobloggreen.com/bloggers/sam-abuelsamid/)
Filed under: EV/Plug-in (http://www.autobloggreen.com/category/ev-plug-in/), Hybrid (http://www.autobloggreen.com/category/hybrid/), Volkswagen (http://www.autobloggreen.com/category/volkswagen/)
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autobloggreen.com/media/2008/10/car_photo_274470_25.jpg (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/firstdrives/225891/vw_golf_twin_drive.html)

Volkswagen recently built twenty prototype diesel plug-in hybrid Golf prototypes for a field test of the technology. AutoExpress magazine in the UK recently had an opportunity to try out the so-called Twin-Drive Golf. The Twin-Drive combines a 1.5L diesel with electric drive and lithium ion batteries with plug-in capability. A pair of wheel motors turn the back wheels providing all wheel drive capability while a third motor and generator are combined with the diesel engine at the front axle. With a very light foot on the go pedal, the Twin-Drive can go to 31 mph on electricity alone. It can reportedly go 30 miles on a charge of its Sanyo battery pack. The plug-in hybrid hardware adds 550 lb of mass to the Golf but it yields up to 94.1 mpg (U.S.), according to VW. AutoExpress says the even distribution of the new mass keeps things balanced but the car does feel heavier than a standard Golf. It's unlikely we'll see a production VW with this configuration anytime soon though. The cost would simply be prohibitive.

rjastra
23rd October 2008, 08:56 AM
...now VW with a diesel electric hybrid

Volkswagen recently built twenty prototype diesel plug-in hybrid Golf prototypes for a field test of the technology. AutoExpress magazine in the UK recently had an opportunity to try out the so-called Twin-Drive Golf. The Twin-Drive combines a 1.5L diesel with electric drive and lithium ion batteries with plug-in capability. A pair of wheel motors turn the back wheels providing all wheel drive capability while a third motor and generator are combined with the diesel engine at the front axle. With a very light foot on the go pedal, the Twin-Drive can go to 31 mph on electricity alone. It can reportedly go 30 miles on a charge of its Sanyo battery pack. The plug-in hybrid hardware adds 550 lb of mass to the Golf but it yields up to 94.1 mpg (U.S.), according to VW. AutoExpress says the even distribution of the new mass keeps things balanced but the car does feel heavier than a standard Golf. It's unlikely we'll see a production VW with this configuration anytime soon though. The cost would simply be prohibitive.

Apparently a Twin drive version will appear in the GolF VI during its model run.

Interestingly... the next bluemotion Golf maybe a petrol version not a diesel as all current bluemotion VWs are. They may use the new 1.2L turbo petrol engine (70kW, 200Nm).

Wraith
23rd October 2008, 12:23 PM
Apparently a Twin drive version will appear in the GolF VI during its model run.

Interestingly... the next bluemotion Golf maybe a petrol version not a diesel as all current bluemotion VWs are. They may use the new 1.2L turbo petrol engine (70kW, 200Nm).

That above, ie: either one of those models sounds nice for DD...

Look forward to seeing the final product, if it's part of the Golf VI range, it should be here by mid next year...

If car manufacturers are suffering by then as a result of the Global economic crisis, they might be had for a bargain price too ??