PDA

View Full Version : The Sydney motor no-show - 18 Car Makers Out!

Huhness
9th October 2008, 09:54 AM
Car makers have stayed away from this year’s Sydney motor show in droves as softening car sales force a review of marketing budgets. By RICHARD BLACKBURN.

http://images.drive.com.au/drive_images/Editorial/2008/10/09/story1_m_m.jpg

The gloom and doom surrounding the global economy has taken its toll on the Sydney motor show, which opened today minus a record 18 brands who stayed away to cut costs.
But it didn't stop American brand Cadillac from making a return to Australia.

The list of non-attendees at the 2008 Sydney motor show would easily fill a hall at the Sydney Exhibition Centre in Darling Harbour, venue for the show.
They include traditional exotic drawcards Porsche, Aston Martin, Jaguar, Bentley and Rolls-Royce.

But of more concern to show organisers is the absence of leading luxury brands Mercedes-Benz, BMW and Audi, who have boycotted the show in an attempt to pressure the Sydney and Melbourne motor shows to alternate their annual events.
Second-tier European brands including Citroen, Fiat and Alfa Romeo are also no-shows.

The Europeans argue that if it’s good enough for Frankfurt and Paris to hold their car shows bi-annually, it’s good enough for the rival Australian cities.
The managing director of Audi, Joerg Hofmann, indicated the German brands had come to a gentleman’s agreement not to attend the show.
“The positive thing this time is that … we all sit in the same boat and we all have an agreement that it is wrong and that we should do something against it,” he says.

He says he has been in close contact with organisers of both shows to convince them that it makes sense to have just one Australian show a year.
“We have Paris this year and next year we have Frankfurt again. This works for 250 million Europeans and here we have 20 million Australians and we have two shows a year … it’s not feasible really,” he says.

But a deal is problematic because the two events are run by different organisations. The Sydney motor show is run by the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries, while Melbourne is run by the Victorian Automobile Chamber of Commerce.
The chief executive of the FCAI Andrew McKellar confirmed the two organisations were working towards a solution but wouldn’t be drawn on what that solution was.

He also wouldn’t commit to there being a Sydney motor show next year.
“We need to develop a sustainable model for future shows and we’re committed to making that happen,” he says.
“I think it’s desirable to have an event that showcases the industry in Sydney but what shape that takes is still to be decided,” he says.
He disputed claims that brands had taken an ideological position in not attending this year’s show.
“I think it has more to do with economics and current market circumstances,” he says. But Hofmann says Audi won’t commit to attending Melbourne until a deal is done.

“Nobody wants to miss out first, that’s the thing. Somebody has to start. This is the biggest obstacle still,” he says.
“A show costs at least $1.5 million. You can do a lot of stuff with that money,” he says.
“It’s just an economic decision. It’s too much money twice a year for the limited benefit you get out of it,” he says.
“In these difficult days where the economy is and everybody is more conscious of how money is spent I believe that even the volume brands will be more cost conscious.”

In an attempt to fill the empty spaces in Sydney, organisers have created their own stand called Supercar Central, which includes Australian-built kit cars and a couple of exotic, low volume supercars.

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=57565&vf=12

poita
9th October 2008, 09:56 AM
hmmmmm very interesting

Huhness
9th October 2008, 09:58 AM
That's a lot of the big draw cards for the motor show out this year! :eek:

btm
9th October 2008, 10:11 AM
not really a huge surprise to be honest

still a shame though

SSS_Hoon
9th October 2008, 10:25 AM
damm we were meant to be going on sat, not sure if i want to know with no Audi there.

Is there a way to find out what cars will be there on what days? As someone told me that diff days have different cars on display.

SSS_Hoon

lithium
9th October 2008, 10:50 AM
that's a shame...we were also going to go next weekend but with all the marques out i'm not sure if it'll be as good
hopefully there will still be a gt-r there:)

imay
9th October 2008, 10:56 AM
Yeah, just heard about this. Not happy!
Flying out to Sydney tomorrow and just happen to be there the same time as the motor show. Thought we could take a day out of our schedule and check it out; looks more like we could pass a couple of hours and then go shopping in the CBD (woohoo!! sounds like fun!). Probably better off going and checking out the car yards . . . plus it's free admission!

Vectracious
9th October 2008, 11:03 AM
All this state rivalry is such bullshit - honestly could seriously give a f*ck who misses out first - I hope the little men with small dick syndrome that work at either organisation at NSW or Vic read this: Harden the **** up you little shits and work it out amongst yourselves.

I'll put my hand up and say Melbourne should miss out next year to get the ball rolling..... I'm not going to go to a motor show where the only companies there are Holden Ford and Toyota.

Wraith
9th October 2008, 01:48 PM
This is very sad - but also reinforces what I've stated in my TTS thread, that this is a good opportunity to get a good bargain on a new car over the near term future, or however long it lasts...

WoundWowfanAU
9th October 2008, 05:51 PM
Well,

I was proberbly going to go this year but I might not now...... :(