PDA

View Full Version : What do you's think? New Astra SRi (apparently)

SydneySRi
1st August 2004, 02:41 PM
New SRi Astra from UK site. What's every1 think?

em
1st August 2004, 02:48 PM
I like them alot.....

NEMO
1st August 2004, 02:53 PM
The headlights are little on the big side.. but the rest of the car looks great!

Jass
1st August 2004, 03:03 PM
I have to see them in the flesh to judge but first looks yuk!

Miss_Astra
1st August 2004, 03:17 PM
i seen them advertised overseas, i dont like them, i think the current shape is heaps better

YuSuF
1st August 2004, 03:20 PM
There has been a mixture of thoughts, I guess well have to wait till Holden bring them in and see them in the flesh. So far it looks similiar too most new cars with euro design

Anonymous
1st August 2004, 03:22 PM
I like it :D
Change the Rear Lights
Give it KID_SRi Suspension and 18's
and ya have a Winner :twisted:

shaohaok
1st August 2004, 03:24 PM
mazda3 try hard. but its ok, i guess

RK
1st August 2004, 03:29 PM
front looks alright.. but im not too sure about he rear. especially the bumper.. that looks like the mazda 3 hatch, which i dont really like (sedans look awesome though). I'll have to see it in the flesh.

at first i thought the new vectras looked like shat. but now im totally in love with them.

frankie9fingers
1st August 2004, 03:43 PM
I'd buy it. Then in 6 months new bodykits will be out to remove that massive rear bumper

Guyver
1st August 2004, 05:42 PM
I don't mind it actually...................

However the shots I saw of the 3 door (in Wheels Mag) were extremely disappointing compared to the original concept car.

Anonymous
1st August 2004, 05:46 PM
I'd buy it. Then in 6 months new bodykits will be out to remove that massive rear bumperi see u baby shakin that ass

lee683
1st August 2004, 06:06 PM
New SRi Astra from UK site. What's every1 think?
aint this just the normal astra 4/5 door???
the 3 door comes out later this year in the uk. and then the coupe next year

and aint these coming here in sept oct time???

FlySri
1st August 2004, 06:11 PM
I like it !!! But what motor is in it ?? And yes, is there a three door ??

Anonymous
1st August 2004, 07:19 PM
I reckon it's great...

But shouldn't opel be inspired by european cars, and not the corolla and mazda?

Not very european looking, but I know I'd trade in my astra in the future for a possible SRi version. 8)

ultim8DTM5
1st August 2004, 08:04 PM
Don't you think Corolla and Mazda are inspired by European cars?

Degen-Astra
1st August 2004, 09:11 PM
Well considering there is no 2.2 SRi - could either be the 2L Turbo or 1.8 Ecotec motor.

thirteen
1st August 2004, 10:33 PM
the front reminds me of a renault clio. the rear of a peugot 206 and the sides and wheel arches of a mazda 3.

Nem
1st August 2004, 10:42 PM
I think they look very euro-civic. Not really impressed.

RK
1st August 2004, 10:47 PM
looks very european to me :)

Front reminds of the new Vectra.

astra_city
1st August 2004, 11:20 PM
Don't you think Corolla and Mazda are inspired by European cars?

Just what I was thinking.
Probably more like the new 3 copied the new Astra styling 8)
We all know that Jap cars look to Europe for their inspiration :)

SmellyTofu
2nd August 2004, 07:40 AM
the front reminds me of a renault clio.

I agree.. but I like* it. I don't see any other cars in it.

*like may not necessarily mean nor have any association with buying

Mr T
2nd August 2004, 11:39 AM
They should have a raised bonnet, like the current shape, to give it a muscular look.

My mate drove one last week at Norwell during the VZ driveday. They only had one there a 1.8l CD Man and at the end of the day after driving 260KW CV8's and 250KW SS's the only car discussed on the Bus was the Astra.

He said it had more performance, more responce, so maybe it is a lighter car, no one had a bad comment about it. :!:

Dee
2nd August 2004, 11:42 AM
THE LIGHTS ARE TOO BIG!!!!!

other than that, id be happy With one :)

Degen-Astra
2nd August 2004, 11:46 AM
After checking the Vauxhall Website - the SRi is the 2L Turbo.

And its a 5 door!

With the option of 18 inch wheels either 9 or 5 spokes.

BoostedAstra
2nd August 2004, 12:05 PM
From what Holden has said to me is that the new H will first come in 5dr hatch config, being sold along side the G as a Astra classic(said earlier on this website) Holden will not confirm either the Sri or Sri T here in Oz. This forcast is the next 12-24 months.

look at it this way, the Astra G was first released here in what 1998? the Sri never came until what 2002 after there was one a massive price drop in the standard astra (in 99 i was quoted over 30k for a 5 dr CD) The Sri T ? well it only got here last year, 98-03, five years long time to wait for a turbo model.

I am very happy with Holden choice as the value of my T will hold somewhat better than the others......

**If anyone knows of any thing different pls correct me as this is what my dealer has told me....**

Julian

Rhino
2nd August 2004, 12:26 PM
Doesn't mean that's what will get 'ported here Degen :(

Autocar (English mag) test drove the Vauxall SRi and it was a 1.8.

Didn't get a 'glowing' review either but they did like it...

Degen-Astra
2nd August 2004, 12:51 PM
Doesn't mean that's what will get 'ported here Degen :(

Autocar (English mag) test drove the Vauxall SRi and it was a 1.8.

Didn't get a 'glowing' review either but they did like it...

Nah...we may be the last cab off the rank for Turbo's I would say.

I also remember someone posting up a pic of the Astra G/Mk4 1.8 SRi a while ago. (Think in the Astra section).

Julian - I think the diff. with the Astra G and Astra H is there IS already a Turbo at the begining of the new shapes life. Where as, like you said, 5 years of the G shape with no Turbo. So I dunno, I wouldnt be surprised if Australia missed out.

On another topic - If they brought out the VX220/Speedster...I'll be up on that!! :twisted:

Mr T
2nd August 2004, 03:18 PM
From what Holden has said to me is that the new H will first come in 5dr hatch config, being sold along side the G as a Astra classic(said earlier on this website) Holden will not confirm either the Sri or Sri T here in Oz. This forcast is the next 12-24 months.

look at it this way, the Astra G was first released here in what 1998? the Sri never came until what 2002 after there was one a massive price drop in the standard astra (in 99 i was quoted over 30k for a 5 dr CD) The Sri T ? well it only got here last year, 98-03, five years long time to wait for a turbo model.

I am very happy with Holden choice as the value of my T will hold somewhat better than the others......

**If anyone knows of any thing different pls correct me as this is what my dealer has told me....**

Julian

...and remember the 3dr didn't come untill 2001

Don't take what the dealers salesmen tell you as gospel, they generally only find out the details of what Holden want to tell them, everything else they know comes from reading Motor/Wheels etc.

I was working at Suttons Homebush when Monaro was released, Holden denied that it was going to be released untill 2 weeks prior (same day as Sydney Motor Show) and we received specs 2 days before deliveries. Not bad considering it takes 4 weeks to assemble a car from scratch. In most cars the Dealer will find out about 4-6 weeks before release, this is so they dont hinder the sales of the current products.

Remember Motor told us that the Astra Coupe was coming to Aus in late 2001...Hmmm

Jackson
2nd August 2004, 04:35 PM
i think it's hard to tell from a couple of angles,

i like it though, not sure if i like it more than the old shape but it's certainly newer looking!

you can bet if you compaired the list of standard features to a mazda or the like it would stack up better.

Mr T
2nd August 2004, 05:08 PM
Yeah I agree, Astra's should be compared to VW Golf and the like and Mazda compared with Corolla, Pulsar etc. It's important to compare apples with apples :wink:

rjastra
2nd August 2004, 06:43 PM
Remember that the Astra G SRI was in fact available as a 3/5 door with a choice of 1.8L/2.2L in europe.

There is no reason that Australia couldn't get an Sri with an updated 2.2L ecotec.

I would bet money on that being the case with the upcoming Astra H for Australia.

Base specs use 1.8L
warm Sri/CDX using a 2.2L
Sri T using a turbo 2L

Degen-Astra
2nd August 2004, 07:17 PM
But there is no 2.2l as yet. Not even available from Opel.

HDTDude
2nd August 2004, 07:44 PM
they look hot!
hmm yeah rediculouslylarge lights but yeah very clean

Anonymous
3rd August 2004, 09:45 AM
The new astra already looks set to kill the golf considering it maintains its comptetive pricing.

If someone threw me the money and I had to choose between the new astra, golf, mazda and corolla, my money would more than likely go to the astra.

Opel sent firworks up the woo-ha of the engineering department....

..... and the engineers and designers are sending one back to us.......... :D

My only qualm is with the rear hatch glass. Mazda rip off.

woody
3rd August 2004, 05:19 PM
Reminds me of the current Honda Civic from behind - not a huge fan i must say, however i'm reserving full judgement til i can walk round it in the flesh...
Then i'll come right out and say it sucks!! :(

entropy
3rd August 2004, 07:44 PM
love the front hate the back :shock:

FreeRide
3rd August 2004, 10:51 PM
I want the concept car that Motor mag had a few months back, this doesnt look half as good as that.

Hmmm. I think i'd still save for an R32 instead- not that that's going to happen any time soon!

extralarge
4th August 2004, 08:38 PM
The car is an SRI. The wheels and the bodykit give it away. I prefer the astra G rear wing rather than the new SRI's normal wing on the top of the rear.

The SRI is likely to come here in 3door and a bigger engine.

Nice wheels.

I'd say be prepared for a price hike, considering how keen holden is the maintain the astra g alongside the astra h to avoid sales losses alike the current vectra.

Seus
4th August 2004, 11:35 PM
front looks alright.. but im not too sure about he rear. especially the bumper.. that looks like the mazda 3 hatch, which i dont really like (sedans look awesome though). I'll have to see it in the flesh.

my thoughts exactly bout it looking like a 3 hatch, which is too bulbous, while the sedan is very nice

for the new astra, it dosn't seem to retain any of the past astra characteristics which is disappointing
i really do like the front though

extralarge
5th August 2004, 01:16 AM
the lights will be fairly costly to replace - a result from the complex design and large size.

styling cues do reflect off recent car models though, seemingly everybody is just copying each other.

Tom76
5th August 2004, 11:36 AM
Hmm, those pics really don't do the new Astra justice. It looks much better in reality.
I'm currently driving a light green one until my black one arrives, so i know what i'm talking about. ;)

Take a look at http://astra.dennishaupt.de/ for some better pics (german versions, so it's most likely that they'll not all be coming to Aus like that, but you get a basic idea, the site is in german as well - just click on those links and you'll figure it out).

Plus, the backlights are quite original imo, haven't seen anything like that on another car model so far (the upper white part that looks like milk).

Overall it's really an awesome car, and VERY nice to drive, a big improvement over the Astra G.

PilkyGSI
5th August 2004, 07:04 PM
they do look nice, black and silver only colour i have seen them in, saw them back in the UK when i was there a coulpe of weeks ago. looks abit long.

jch75
6th August 2004, 07:40 PM
looks very european to me :)

Front reminds of the new Vectra.

Yeah agree mate, looks a lot like my ZC Vectra. The front lights and the body kit. The rear takes on an entirely new shape. It's like the ZC Vectra had a new face but took the old Astra rear end.........hehehe. So maybe we can expect a similar Vectra rear end upgrade at some stage. I would suggest also that the Corsa will follow suit with the Astra, Vectra and strangely enough.................maybe even the VE Commodore which I think is going to be very EURO. If you look at Mazda, the 2 all the up to the RX-8 all have the same lines, lights, kits, so on - you name it, they are all pretty uniform. So I would expect GM to do the same. Its like Astra is "Dr Evil", Corsa is "MiniMe" and the VE Commodore (or Vectra) can be "Fast Bastard".

jch75
6th August 2004, 07:55 PM
When does this reach Australia as a Holden?

Tom76
10th August 2004, 08:04 AM
I posted some pics that show a "mock up" of the upcoming new Corsa, but it landed it the wrong thread (stupid me)

:oops:

Take a look at it here. (http://opelaus.com/phpBB2-3/viewtopic.php?p=31629#31629)