PDA

View Full Version : Driven - new Audi TTS

Wraith
6th October 2008, 11:05 PM
As mentioned in another thread, a test drive of some of Audi' latest and greatest was in the waiting for me and last weekend I got my 1st go at it, I say 1st go because there's another longer (1 full hr) test drive coming soon :)

I test drove both coupe and roadster, both were DSG equipped.

Before I get into it in more detail, if I were to use only one word to describe the new TTS, it would be WOW !!! this is the best car o/a I've driven in a long time...hopefully I'll get a chance to holiday in Japan later this year and have a chance to 'play' with an R35 GT-R for up to a week, you can 'rent-a-car' hire them there :)

Anyway I'll start with some of the technical/specifications aspects of this new TTS. The info below is as accurate as I was able to obtain from sources other than the net and some is different to internet publicated material, there's way too much to list all, so I'll try and summarize it.

Engine is a revised 2.0ltr TFSI turbo, it has stronger pistons, rods, block and redesigned intake, exhaust, head and cams, compared to the previous TFSI and has a new larger and lighter worked over K04 turbo.
The entire engine assembly weighs only 153kg.
It runs 17.4psi peak boost and produces 200kw/350nm, but I can tell you, it feels and goes alot stronger than those numbers suggest, it's fitted with a sports exhaust system with quad tail pipes.

Drivetrain, in this case the 6spd. DSG Audi claim it's revised for the TTS (SSSHoon will have to drive one to compare) twin clutch with zero power loss through the clutches, again claimed, but certainly feels that way on the road.
Haldex 4 AWD with 'active' front/rear, left/right power distribution, up to 100% of the power can be shifted to either front or rear wheel drive by the Haldex 4 ecu. (there's speculation that Porsche will use this same AWD system on the new 911 Carrera 4 model range, that's how good it is)

Chassis, McPherson front suspension, triangular aluminium front wishbones, 4 link high strength steel rear suspension set up.
The TTS is equipped an 'active' magnetic ride damper suspension system as standard.

Body, is 69% aluminium construction (centre and front sections) and 31% steel, mainly towards the rear of the car to achieve a better weight distribution which is 58/42 front/rear respectively, the coupes body (bare bones) weighs only 206kg.

Weights, the coupe weighs in at 1395kg (manual trans) and 1415kg with DSG trans. power/weight ratio for the DSG equipped variant is 7.07kg/kw and 4.04kg/nm.

Performance, Audi claims 0-100km/h in 5.2sec/5.4sec Manual/DSG and rolling acceleration 80-120km/h in 4.4sec for the manual, the DSG is quicker, those numbers are for the coupe.
Current Motor Mag ran a TTS manual @ 5.56sec 0-100km/h and 13.9sec 1/4 mile, so the Audi figures are pretty accurate and having driven the thing myself, I can tell you, it's definitely a 13sec car, I could just imagine it with an APR tune with 250kw and 450nm with the DSG...

Now for my thoughts behind the wheel...1st off the driver position, steering wheel, peddles, seat and dial cluster, pretty much everything in terms of positioning is just perfect ! ergonomically this car' interior is very well designed, it's brilliant, not only does it look beautiful with fantastic build quality and finish, it works.
It has a digital multifunction read out in the centre of the dial cluster, which displays speed and I found myself looking at it only without having to look at the needles in the dials to know everything I needed to know whilst driving.
That centre digital display also features a timer function, as this car is set up to be track ready as is stock standard.

It drives incredibly smooth and there is hardly any turbo lag (alot less than even our Z20LET's) even a part or low throttle, the engine is super responsive with loads of power and torque everywhere.
I wouldn't be surprised if it has more than 350nm torque, because comparing it to my remaped Turbo vert (similar weight) or to a VXR I test drove, it feels alot stronger, in fact it pulled harder than my mates MPS 3 !

I didn't get a chance to fully explore the Haldex AWD because it was a nice dry day and the fastest corner I took was at 60km/h, maybe next test drive, but I did see what the active magnetic dampening system could do and it's fantastic.
When taking off hard, there's zero body movement and zero body role through corners too (up to 60km/h anyway) but the ride remains compliant and it's not harsh at all, it senses role or front/rear tilt and adjusts itself automatically to stop any body role, it's pure go kart like, but without the harsh bumpy ride - I love it and little wonder it handles so well...

The engine note is very nice for an IL4 potter, it sounds better than my Z20LET with a remus sports muffler, or any Astra I've driven, but not as good as the burble from a rex or rasp of a nice V6.
I think Audi have got it just right with this car, the volume of the exhaust note is loud enough to enjoy it, but not over the top.

The thing I probably enjoyed the most was the DSG, what a trans. it's brilliant, revised over previous models, I can't say or compare, but it changes regardless of speed or throttle position with total stealth...you hear the engine note change, you see the rev needle bopping, but you feel nothing, the acceleration or deceleration is continuous and un-interrupted.
Deceleration throttle blips are very cool and it'll blip in sports mode on all downshifts, even if just slowing down from 50km/h with your foot off the throttle.

I'll stop there, all in all as said, I loved it and walked away thinking, I love this thing and I want one, every other car I've test driven over the past couple of years has had me thinking twice or not liking it much at all, but this new TTS has me won over...Ever since the TT MK2 release early last year, I've loved this car, but would never have considered buying one, because it lacked some real performance and handling, this new TTS has it all, with an engine tune and AWD ecu tune, if you want it (APR do both) - it'll be a little monster ! a very good looking little monster though :D

So was there anything I didn't like, yes a few things, but none of them would stop me from getting one if I decide to do so...well maybe one obvious thing - item 3.

1st. no sunroof option at all - because of the aluminium space frame centre body capsule, a sunroof is a no go for this car.

2nd. the only interior gripe (and it would probably only be me to say this) but I hate the silly '2 sizes' 3 hole cup holder in the centre console.

3rd. that damned Audi trade mark pricing - nearly 120k on road for one of these, fully loaded with everything though, that would be the only way to go IMO for a car like this.

For now I'll just look forward to the next longer test drive and to an upcoming test drive of the BMW 135i which will be an interesting comparison :)

PaulyJ
6th October 2008, 11:10 PM
Can't wait for Volume 2 to come out when you do the hour long test drive...
Good read tho. They look great!

bornwild
7th October 2008, 08:52 AM
Ange...PICTURES!!!!

vectraguy01
7th October 2008, 09:36 AM
great review cheers!

Wraith
7th October 2008, 10:05 AM
Ange...PICTURES!!!!

No probs - if I get one, it'll look exactly like these pics :)

The 2 I test drove roadster and coupe were both black...

For me, I still prefer the 135i because of the price vs what you get or value for money, but o/a the TTS is just so much more desirable, the missus has her mind made up, after viewing the 135i, she loved it, after viewing and checking out the TTS (she didn't come along for the test drive) she can't stop talking and dreaming about it - it's that beautiful in the metal !

Enjoy :)

http://i37.tinypic.com/148gk1j.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/1j6rue.jpg

http://i37.tinypic.com/2yo4lna.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/f0w8s7.jpg

http://i34.tinypic.com/2a7a3wg.jpg

bornwild
7th October 2008, 10:23 AM
Aww nahh thought you took pics when you went to test-drive it :)

As for which one to get...I like the TTS looks way better than the 135i but as you said....bang-for-buck the Bimmer is the hands-down winner.

As for the TTS interior, did you not find it cramped?? I could barely fit in when I sat in one at the motorshow

mitchv
7th October 2008, 10:28 AM
About 2 weeks after i got my VXR my dad went and purchased one of these (in Black)... and must agree, it seems a dream car to drive (he wont let me though... hmph.

Has alot of useable power, and handles like a dream (he also went on a track day with Audi, and they got him to throw one around a track... along with an S5 and S6 ect...).

Has a touch of class, and a hefty price tag, but the specs point to say that this is in the same class as its higher classed cars. Has the performance, has the look, and the interior is awesome (Though even he has admitted that the Recaro's in my car are the best seats hes sat in)...

1 downpoint i see is the back seat is useless. You have to be below 150cm to fit into it... who has a pair of midgets to go in the back? They should just make it a roadster and can the back bench...

Not a fan of the DSG, but he seems to like it, after owning a tiptronic, i will always go a manual if its available.

rjastra
7th October 2008, 10:32 AM
I am not sure they have significantly (physically) modified the DSG for the TTS.

They have modified/refined the Haldex awd system though (as on the new S3).

Maybe you should wait for the TT + TDI +AWD. Apparently it should be a better than the TTS because of all the diesel torque ;)

poita
7th October 2008, 10:34 AM
saw one of these while in sydney
was very nice in the flesh

Wraith
7th October 2008, 10:37 AM
Aww nahh thought you took pics when you went to test-drive it :)

As for which one to get...I like the TTS looks way better than the 135i but as you said....bang-for-buck the Bimmer is the hands-down winner.

As for the TTS interior, did you not find it cramped?? I could barely fit in when I sat in one at the motorshow

Good point - the interior is a nice place to be - the nicest car interior I can think of that I've been in, as I've said above it works perfectly, BUT if your at or over about 5' 10" I think you'll start to feel cramped...which for me and the missus is no probs because we're both small people :)

Visibilty out of the TTS both sides and rear is excellent though :)

I didn't take pics of the test driven vehicles, but you get the idea from the pics above, I'll take some of the next test drive/s as I'll be also driving an S5 :)

SSS_Hoon
7th October 2008, 10:42 AM
tiptronic is nothing like DSG nothing at all.

DSG is awesome /END

Still not a fan of the TT never really have been and the TTS is still no exception even after seeing it in white i still not a big fan of them (the wife likes then and thinks that i should too as they look similar to the Audi R8).

They apparently went back to the wet clutch setup for the TTS DSG with slightly bigger clutches and stronger pressure plates afaik to cope with the added power/torque.

How did u manage to get a 1 hour test drive of one Ange?

Terrific write up/review that is for sure looking foward to the 1 hour review that is for sure, where hopefully you will be able to put it through some more.

I might have to see if i can organsie a test drive of one.

I would rather see one with GIAC mods rather then APR (personal prefference though i guess)

Word is that the GTI-R will have this engine in it also whoo hoo.

SSS_Hoon

bornwild
7th October 2008, 11:02 AM
Don't know about you guys but I've found that the DSG doesn't let you control the car the way you want to. For example, in the Golf 2.0TDi it didn't let me shift into 6th gear at 60kph...?!?!

I still prefer manual, DSG is nice for...well....this new generation of playstation bred kids.

poita
7th October 2008, 11:08 AM
for good reason
why teh fuk would you want to use 6th gear at 60km/hr

rjastra
7th October 2008, 11:14 AM
The 6 speed DSG in the Golf and TT always had wet clutches.

The 7 speed that is appearing in the smaller 1.2/1.4 TSFI engines has dry clutches and is rated at a lower Nm than the existing 6 speed DSG.

Mind you the 7 speed box is smaller and lighter than the 6 speed and doesn't require the same amount of maintenance as the 6 speed (eg oil changes).

bornwild
7th October 2008, 11:16 AM
for good reason
why teh fuk would you want to use 6th gear at 60km/hr

Because it's a disel and it was a flat stretch of road?

Wraith
7th October 2008, 11:22 AM
About 2 weeks after i got my VXR my dad went and purchased one of these (in Black)... and must agree, it seems a dream car to drive (he wont let me though... hmph.

Has alot of useable power, and handles like a dream (he also went on a track day with Audi, and they got him to throw one around a track... along with an S5 and S6 ect...).

Has a touch of class, and a hefty price tag, but the specs point to say that this is in the same class as its higher classed cars. Has the performance, has the look, and the interior is awesome (Though even he has admitted that the Recaro's in my car are the best seats hes sat in)...

1 downpoint i see is the back seat is useless. You have to be below 150cm to fit into it... who has a pair of midgets to go in the back? They should just make it a roadster and can the back bench...

Not a fan of the DSG, but he seems to like it, after owning a tiptronic, i will always go a manual if its available.

Great to hear your dad has one Mitchv, he's probably similar age to myself and as you get older, for a car enthusiast, you start wanting something much more refined and complete, so you don't have to mod or tune much or at all...so you've hit the nail on the head with your 3rd paragraph above :)

Is your dad' the new TTS ?? if so, I feel his joy, it's an awesome piece of machinery better than any previous model even heaps better than the V6 AWD MK2 TT...

Wraith
7th October 2008, 11:27 AM
I am not sure they have significantly (physically) modified the DSG for the TTS.

They have modified/refined the Haldex awd system though (as on the new S3).

Maybe you should wait for the TT + TDI +AWD. Apparently it should be a better than the TTS because of all the diesel torque ;)

All I know is what the Audi literature says and they mention it's 'upgraded' with better clutches (apparently zero power loss from engine to gear cogs) and quicker/smoother shifting and driving the thing, it sure feels good :)

I've seen specs on the TDi and it sounds good, but it's not as quick/fast as the petrol variant.

In my case it'll be a weekend garage queen, so ultimate economy/efficiency dosn't really matter at all, although it has impressive fuel burn figures anyway :)

Being AWD, an oiler would be great because it can really take advantage of the torque as you said...but for this car at thisstage I'll stick with the petrol :)

The really 'special one' will be the upcoming TT-RS but the cost of that variant puts in the no go zone for me !!!

Wraith
7th October 2008, 11:34 AM
tiptronic is nothing like DSG nothing at all.

DSG is awesome /END

Still not a fan of the TT never really have been and the TTS is still no exception even after seeing it in white i still not a big fan of them (the wife likes then and thinks that i should too as they look similar to the Audi R8).

They apparently went back to the wet clutch setup for the TTS DSG with slightly bigger clutches and stronger pressure plates afaik to cope with the added power/torque.

How did u manage to get a 1 hour test drive of one Ange?

Terrific write up/review that is for sure looking foward to the 1 hour review that is for sure, where hopefully you will be able to put it through some more.

I might have to see if i can organsie a test drive of one.

I would rather see one with GIAC mods rather then APR (personal prefference though i guess)

Word is that the GTI-R will have this engine in it also whoo hoo.

SSS_Hoon

The 1 hour test drive has been offered to me - I'd say because they're really interested in getting the sale...

The 2 I've test driven so far were for about 15min each, because km's are limited, however they're getting in another TTS coupe which will be exclusively for test drives, so it will be available for more km's to prospective buyers to get a good hands on idea and feel for the car :)

And yes - the upcoming GTi-R Golf MK6 will have the same engine and drivetrain as the new TTS, but don't expect much change from 60-70k at least for that model variant...

It should be a great car, albeit without the look and body tech and interior of the TT range, but for that much less money and if you like the Golf Gti looks, it's a winner :)

bornwild
7th October 2008, 11:35 AM
Ange, any DSG from VW has zero power loss from engine to gear cog...they probably just forgot to mention it in the marketing campaign last time around. It's like saying there's zero power loss from the diff to the wheels :)

Just to clear up a thing though...the DSG has clutches at the gearbox end, yeah?...it's not at the flywheel like the normal manual, right?

Wraith
7th October 2008, 11:50 AM
Don't know about you guys but I've found that the DSG doesn't let you control the car the way you want to. For example, in the Golf 2.0TDi it didn't let me shift into 6th gear at 60kph...?!?!

I still prefer manual, DSG is nice for...well....this new generation of playstation bred kids.

BW with the DSG or any other automated manual, you need to adjust your driving style a little to suit it and get the maximum benifits from it - just like a different bahaving engine like a turbo diesel for example !

If you look up the TTS reviews, there are already many of them where it has been tested on the track and all are very favourable towards the DSG trans variant.

The one I mentioned earlier compared to the Audi R8 on the same day, same driver at Phillip Island was a DSG equipped variant (it's in current Motor or Wheels - got it home) and it ran only 5sec behind the R8 for a full lap of the circut and was quicker in 2 corners, the DSG added not detracted to that outcome :)

As for automated choice, it wouldn't only be the new gen 'Y'ers, it would also be older folk like myself looking for something alot more comfortable without being at the expense of performance and enjoyment :)

In fact after driving the TTS it only strengthens my desire to have AWD combined with an automated manual for my next car - it's a brilliant combination !

There will always be something better in the winds and my plan would be to 'maybe' go for something like this in the next 12 months and then trade and update every 3 years or so - that would be awesome :)

Wraith
7th October 2008, 12:03 PM
Ange, any DSG from VW has zero power loss from engine to gear cog...they probably just forgot to mention it in the marketing campaign last time around. It's like saying there's zero power loss from the diff to the wheels :)

Just to clear up a thing though...the DSG has clutches at the gearbox end, yeah?...it's not at the flywheel like the normal manual, right?

Yes, it has 2 separate clutches in front of each gear train shaft.

This is different to the BMW 7spd DCT automated manual which has 2 clutches located within each other, ie: one outer ring and one inner ring.

Didn't know much of the technicalities of the DSG before I started researching the TTS, so the above you mentioned may be the case :)

An interesting thing also with the Haldex 4 AWD system is that it starts feeding power to the wheels before it recieves power from the engine (lots of literature on how it does this) and because it's an electronic system it is fully tunable with re-maps etc. just like flash tuning the ecu of the engine :)

Anyone who drives a modern vehicle with all this technology would readily feel the difference and like it - no doubts, it's a very noticeable step up, after driving that TTS all my other cars feel like 'Fred Flinstones' vehicles...they totally pale and feel ordinary, even compared to an MPS3 or VXR or even the HSV GTS I've driven recently and that also had magnetic dampers, although not self adjusting active system like that on the TTS...

The GTS had heaps more grunt, wheel spin etc. but the overall driving experience is in a different league with something like the TTS !!!

Vectracious
7th October 2008, 12:06 PM
That centre digital display also features a timer function, as this car is set up to be track ready as is stock standard.

Meh - my old Veccy B had a stop watch :p

Interesting read Ange :) .

mitchv
7th October 2008, 12:11 PM
Great to hear your dad has one Mitchv, he's probably similar age to myself and as you get older, for a car enthusiast, you start wanting something much more refined and complete, so you don't have to mod or tune much or at all...so you've hit the nail on the head with your 3rd paragraph above :)

Is your dad' the new TTS ?? if so, I feel his joy, it's an awesome piece of machinery better than any previous model even heaps better than the V6 AWD MK2 TT...

Yeah, he has a brand new one, its less the a month old. He had a BMW 330 convertible, but it started having problems.

1 thing i commend Audi on, is there ability to chase a sale, i mean he like you, obviously likes to take the car for a real drive, get a feel, not a 10 min burn around the block with the salesmen. Audi called him offering him cars for the weekend ect, yet a company like Porche wouldnt let him and my mum take a boxter out together...

As for the DSG tiptronic thing, i agree, they arent the same (i have driven both, test drove a DSG GTI Golf when looking for my car, and it was fun, but still doesnt stack up to a manual, its quick, and all that, but i like to have the ability to say this is what i want, and have to use both feet... its not hard, makes driving enjoyable... I agree with the statement its like driving a playstation... but dont blame our generation :P lol Give me a manual any day :)

On the sizing, i guess i am not the best person (since i have owned only small car... 02 Barina, 04 Smart Roadster and now an 08 VXR) but i am 6'3 and i have had no issues with the size of the TT, the seats are snug and mouling, and the cockpit feels like its you, and a passenger, the centre console makes it feel like seperate... its a very nice, and not squishy at all interior... but like i said, i am probably not the best one to ask, as i like tight small sports cars...

SSS_Hoon
7th October 2008, 12:18 PM
Ange just imagine how i feel after driving the GTI for the weekend then getting back in my 93 SSS LoL talk about a time warp hehe.

As said you have to drive the DSG differently then you would when driving a manual that is for sure. its a different type of drive compared to a manual and even a traditional auto.

The clutches are at the gear ends and each clutch actually has 4 smaller clutch packs.

They are electronically controlled for the amount of touqe that actually enters the box (this has been hacked though).

The haldex controllers are meant to be good and alot better then the standard haldex setup.

I too would love a AWD car with DSG, hence the love for the R8 hehehe.

oh yeah bornwild, must be jsut the oiler side of it as with ours it can be in 6th doing 50kph.

SSS_Hoon

Wraith
7th October 2008, 12:29 PM
Yeah, he has a brand new one, its less the a month old. He had a BMW 330 convertible, but it started having problems.

1 thing i commend Audi on, is there ability to chase a sale, i mean he like you, obviously likes to take the car for a real drive, get a feel, not a 10 min burn around the block with the salesmen. Audi called him offering him cars for the weekend ect, yet a company like Porche wouldnt let him and my mum take a boxter out together...

As for the DSG tiptronic thing, i agree, they arent the same (i have driven both, test drove a DSG GTI Golf when looking for my car, and it was fun, but still doesnt stack up to a manual, its quick, and all that, but i like to have the ability to say this is what i want, and have to use both feet... its not hard, makes driving enjoyable... I agree with the statement its like driving a playstation... but dont blame our generation :P lol Give me a manual any day :)

On the sizing, i guess i am not the best person (since i have owned only small car... 02 Barina, 04 Smart Roadster and now an 08 VXR) but i am 6'3 and i have had no issues with the size of the TT, the seats are snug and mouling, and the cockpit feels like its you, and a passenger, the centre console makes it feel like seperate... its a very nice, and not squishy at all interior... but like i said, i am probably not the best one to ask, as i like tight small sports cars...

Great stuff Mitch, as said I feel his joy :)

Interesting about the beemmer having problems - you know I know 3 different people ATM who have Beemers of various models and 2 have had many over the years and all of them have had problems !!!

Even some of the newer 135i owners are starting to have little things going wrong on the 1 series forum I'm a menber of...so far I havn't heard of such problems with Audi'...and from what I've heard from people so far on the 1 series forum, BMW dealerships service centres sound to be as bad as your typical Holden service centre - not good !

As for trans choice, each to his own, I've always been a manual person, but now I'm sold on the automated manuals :)

As for tight and small sport cars - your dad's new TTS is right up there :)

I may be joining him with the same in the near future :)

What colour is your dad' TTS exterior/interior combination :)

Wraith
7th October 2008, 12:41 PM
Ange just imagine how i feel after driving the GTI for the weekend then getting back in my 93 SSS LoL talk about a time warp hehe.

As said you have to drive the DSG differently then you would when driving a manual that is for sure. its a different type of drive compared to a manual and even a traditional auto.

The clutches are at the gear ends and each clutch actually has 4 smaller clutch packs.

They are electronically controlled for the amount of touqe that actually enters the box (this has been hacked though).

The haldex controllers are meant to be good and alot better then the standard haldex setup.

I too would love a AWD car with DSG, hence the love for the R8 hehehe.

oh yeah bornwild, must be jsut the oiler side of it as with ours it can be in 6th doing 50kph.

SSS_Hoon

Definitely relate to the above - the tunabilty of both the new TFSI and the Haldex 4 is exciting and it'll most probably be the ONLY 2 things I'll do modding wise if I were to get a TTS...everything else about the car, even the 19" wheels are perfect IMHO :)

In your case, I reckon you should start aiming towards getting yourself the new Golf MK6 Gti-R, it'll having everything you want in a car and will probably be around by late next year :)

Imagine a Golf Gti with AWD and 250-266kw/450-500nm after a tune :D

MTM in Germany already have a tuning package for the new TFSI engine out to 280kw :eek:

SSS_Hoon
7th October 2008, 12:58 PM
Yeah id love the GTI-R although i think we will end up with the R36 Passat Wagon instead.

as for mods well i would also do the zorst, intake, pipng kit uprated mounts, and that would be it.

When you say new TFSI your talking about the uprated version in the TTS right? as the TFSI aint what i would call a relativly new engine.

SSS_Hoon

mitchv
7th October 2008, 01:59 PM
Great stuff Mitch, as said I feel his joy :)

Interesting about the beemmer having problems - you know I know 3 different people ATM who have Beemers of various models and 2 have had many over the years and all of them have had problems !!!

Even some of the newer 135i owners are starting to have little things going wrong on the 1 series forum I'm a menber of...so far I havn't heard of such problems with Audi'...and from what I've heard from people so far on the 1 series forum, BMW dealerships service centres sound to be as bad as your typical Holden service centre - not good !

As for trans choice, each to his own, I've always been a manual person, but now I'm sold on the automated manuals :)

As for tight and small sport cars - your dad's new TTS is right up there :)

I may be joining him with the same in the near future :)

What colour is your dad' TTS exterior/interior combination :)

Yeah, his BMW had major engine issues, BMW couldnt find the problem, and hardly identified that there was a problem.

He has a black exterior, with a cream interior (i think?).

As for modding it, dont think it needs anything really, though i am sure (and am happy to be wrong) that they only come with 18 inch rims (unless your talking upping within the Audi range?)...

Wraith
7th October 2008, 03:05 PM
Yeah id love the GTI-R although i think we will end up with the R36 Passat Wagon instead.

as for mods well i would also do the zorst, intake, pipng kit uprated mounts, and that would be it.

When you say new TFSI your talking about the uprated version in the TTS right? as the TFSI aint what i would call a relativly new engine.

SSS_Hoon

Yes it's an 'uprated' TFSI...I've listed some of the technical aspects and specs of this unit compared to the 'older' unit in my 1st post :)

This new spec TFSI will eventually replace all the 2.0ltr petrol turbos in the VW group range of vehicles :)

As for mods, again as stated before it's one of the reasons I love about this TTS is that it has everything I want (I'm getting over modding as the years go on) and want something with everything straight out of the box...

I'll be happy with an engine ecu tune - that's it...zorst, suspesion, ICE etc. etc. is perfect as is from optional extras, 'maybe' a set of better wheels later on, but most probably not even that, the car is a perfect set up IMHO :)

Wraith
7th October 2008, 03:21 PM
Yeah, his BMW had major engine issues, BMW couldnt find the problem, and hardly identified that there was a problem.

He has a black exterior, with a cream interior (i think?).

As for modding it, dont think it needs anything really, though i am sure (and am happy to be wrong) that they only come with 18 inch rims (unless your talking upping within the Audi range?)...

Oooh, I'm baffled now Mitch - sure it's a TTS ???

TTS dosn't come with beige colour option interior, only the basic MK2 TT's have that !

This is one area that frustrated me, being an Audi 'S' model, they only have all black or 3 different insert colour options on the coupe as I've pictured in my other post with that 'signal orange'/black example ! I've already made numerous enquiries with Audi about that that one - the roadster does however come with all over 'chennai brown' interior option...

Yes the 19's are an optional extra, however the design of the wheel is specific to the TTS model is different to that offered for the basic TT's...again in previous pics of white TTS :)

As for mods for me, as listed above engine ecu tune to 250kw/450nm is all I'll need and want to do, at those power levels the TTS will probably nudge into the 12sec zone - that's good enough for me to have a car that sexy and that quick :)

mitchv
7th October 2008, 04:42 PM
Oooh, I'm baffled now Mitch - sure it's a TTS ???

TTS dosn't come with beige colour option interior, only the basic MK2 TT's have that !

This is one area that frustrated me, being an Audi 'S' model, they only have all black or 3 different insert colour options on the coupe as I've pictured in my other post with that 'signal orange'/black example ! I've already made numerous enquiries with Audi about that that one - the roadster does however come with all over 'chennai brown' interior option...

Yes the 19's are an optional extra, however the design of the wheel is specific to the TTS model is different to that offered for the basic TT's...again in previous pics of white TTS :)

As for mods for me, as listed above engine ecu tune to 250kw/450nm is all I'll need and want to do, at those power levels the TTS will probably nudge into the 12sec zone - that's good enough for me to have a car that sexy and that quick :)

Could be wrong about the interior dont go in it much as i dont live at home, and rarely go in it, but i am sure its a TTS, the 4cylinder 200kw quad exhaust... 0-100 in 5.2, yes, i am sure its a TTS.

Wraith
7th October 2008, 05:00 PM
Could be wrong about the interior dont go in it much as i dont live at home, and rarely go in it, but i am sure its a TTS, the 4cylinder 200kw quad exhaust... 0-100 in 5.2, yes, i am sure its a TTS.

Damn happy to hear that - specs above are unmistakingly TTS, I'm feeling the joy again LOL and if I do get one, at least someone else here is directly associated with one also :)

Maybe your dad has the black/silver nappa leather combo interior ?? that is one of the 3 dual colour leather interior options for the TTS coupe, otherwise it'll be magma red/black, signal orange/black (as pictured here) or all over black, which has a baseball type impulse stitching option as well :)

rjastra
8th October 2008, 09:28 AM
Motor PCOTY 2008

Audi TTS figures (6 speed manual)

Wakefield lap: 1:09.4 (EVOX - 5 speed: did it in 1:09.3)
0-100km/h 5.99 secs (evox 5.66)
400m 13.83secs @ 165.4 km/h( EVOX = [email protected])
1km 25.4 secs @ 212km/h (Evox = 25.5 @ 202.8)
This suggests the TTS really gets on the boil as the revs/speed rise.

To put times into further perspective and show that the test track was rather slow. The M3 DCT they had did a 0-100km/h in 5.3 sec and a 400m of 13.35sec@181km/h.

The TTS is a seriously fast car even in stock form.

mitchv
8th October 2008, 09:45 AM
Damn happy to hear that - specs above are unmistakingly TTS, I'm feeling the joy again LOL and if I do get one, at least someone else here is directly associated with one also :)

Maybe your dad has the black/silver nappa leather combo interior ?? that is one of the 3 dual colour leather interior options for the TTS coupe, otherwise it'll be magma red/black, signal orange/black (as pictured here) or all over black, which has a baseball type impulse stitching option as well :)

Asked him last night and he said he has the Silver with the black insets.

Just to put that last figure in perspective, he has had afew pretty quick cars, like his previous 2 were a 330 bmw and an SS Ute, and he says the TTS is by far the quickest car hes driven, and back in the day he used to race amateurally...

I am sure you would be happy with it Wraith, pretty cheap too for what it actually is, its look, its performance compared to its rivals... Audi seem to really want to sell cars too :P which is always a plus.

Wraith
8th October 2008, 02:51 PM
Motor PCOTY 2008

Audi TTS figures (6 speed manual)

Wakefield lap: 1:09.4 (EVOX - 5 speed: did it in 1:09.3)
0-100km/h 5.99 secs (evox 5.66)
400m 13.83secs @ 165.4 km/h( EVOX = [email protected])
1km 25.4 secs @ 212km/h (Evox = 25.5 @ 202.8)
This suggests the TTS really gets on the boil as the revs/speed rise.

To put times into further perspective and show that the test track was rather slow. The M3 DCT they had did a 0-100km/h in 5.3 sec and a 400m of 13.35sec@181km/h.

The TTS is a seriously fast car even in stock form.

Thanks rj :)

That's what I've been saying all along !!!

In my 1st post, I did mention that after having driven the thing,
"I can tell you it's defenitely a 13sec car" !

The acceleration times recorded above for the TTS are a little strange though, ie: 5.89 0-100km/h and 13.83 1/4 mile - looks like a bad take off there...

Motor time for similar runs were 5.56 0-100km/h and 13.9 1/4 mile also with the manual - the DSG will shave at least another 2/10ths off those times, so yes stock standard the TTS is a very fast car...as said :)

Also as mentioned, I'm sure that with an APR tune which increases both power and torque by 25% and with its AWD it might nudge into the 12sec zone = more than good/quick enough for me ;)

I'm ever so keen now to see the release of the TT-RS which will have 260-280kw stock !

Will probably be a 12sec car stock standard...

Wraith
8th October 2008, 03:08 PM
Asked him last night and he said he has the Silver with the black insets.

Just to put that last figure in perspective, he has had afew pretty quick cars, like his previous 2 were a 330 bmw and an SS Ute, and he says the TTS is by far the quickest car hes driven, and back in the day he used to race amateurally...

I am sure you would be happy with it Wraith, pretty cheap too for what it actually is, its look, its performance compared to its rivals... Audi seem to really want to sell cars too :P which is always a plus.

Thanks for that Mitch - that's a nice interior choice for a black coloured TTS :)

Yes as said now by myself numerous times on this thread, having driven it - it's damn fast and it's damn quick !!! it takes off like a bullet leaving a barrel !!! I absolutely love the AWD and DSG combination, which would be even quicker/faster than those runs and tests from the magazines with the manual stick shift trans :)

Also it has very little if any lag...it's a fantastic job by Audi - their upcoming TT-RS will be a serious rocket...as would be a TTS with some tuning :D

What you've said in your last paragraph is true, maybe except for say a BMW 135i which is in a 'similar' class and alot cheaper (nearly 25k) BUT the 135i will never look as good as a TT range exterior or ever have as beautiful and good an interior as the TT range and it dosn't have AWD...

My next moves are the extended test drive of the TTS, then a test drive of the 135i...

By the end of this year the TT-RS should be released O/S I'm curious to see what that is all about as my ideal plan would be to update every 3 years and the TT-RS should give some indication as to where the TT model range is going.

I have read reports suggesting the TT range will be replaced in 5 years time with a new Audi 'R3' or 'R4' model range ?? all interesting stuff :)

JohnBu
8th October 2008, 03:14 PM
the TTS looks like a great car..

what prices are audi asking?

no way I could afford a new one.. but a 2nd hand one in about 3 years sounds achievable..

retail price of say the coupe DSG is $81k + GST + Luxury car tax.

so in about 3 years time, the cost of the car should be about 65% x $90k or a tad under $60k.. alot more affordable.

When looking at Audi vs BMWs, BMWs have superior resale value overall- with the exception of the TT which has a higher resale value than the average Audi.

Wraith
8th October 2008, 03:39 PM
the TTS looks like a great car..

what prices are audi asking?

no way I could afford a new one.. but a 2nd hand one in about 3 years sounds achievable..

retail price of say the coupe DSG is $81k + GST + Luxury car tax.

so in about 3 years time, the cost of the car should be about 65% x $90k or a tad under $60k.. alot more affordable.

When looking at Audi vs BMWs, BMWs have superior resale value overall- with the exception of the TT which has a higher resale value than the average Audi.

Base price of the new TTS is 92k manual and 96k DSG + ORC's - not sure if that's how you've listed your break up above John...

However start adding options to them and the orice will go all skewey on you, up to 120k for the DSG coupe !!! so buying a S/H in 3 years time may or may not be what you'll expect...all the showroom floor examples I've seen thus far have been highly optioned, none are under 100k...

Resale sounds correct, Audis do tend to drop alot in the 1st few years, IMHO this is because they are over priced to begin with - but if you want one new, you have no choice but to cough up - maybe the recent going ons with the U.S economy will cause high end/exotic sales drops of cars here, so over the next 6-12 months, there might be opportunity for very good bargaining, that's what I'm hoping for :)

If I get one, I'm hoping the value will indeed be as much as 65% of new car purchase price after 3 years, if I can get that, then my plan to update with another Audi or something else every 3 years will be achievable :)

John, keep in touch and you can buy my TTS in 3 years time :D

JohnBu
8th October 2008, 04:36 PM
well I factored in the price of the car + GST. I've excluded the luxury car tax, as its a tax and you expect to get the LCT back when you sell (nor is the new higher LCT increase Audi by law must charge you set in stone).

65% is at the upper end of resale residual after 3 years. and that excludes LCT, Dealer Delivery Fees, rego, stamp duty, etc etc.

you get very little for options and accessories when it comes to used cars..

the more options you pay for when new, the lower your residual. Not saying a 2nd hand buyer don't care when buying, but they won't pay more for it.

If you look at 2007 audi TTs, you'll find that the dealers are advertising their demo cars for a lower price than the private sellers!!!

Dealer will advertise a demo for say 10% below rrp..

there's a few dealer advertised TT coupes for $63k-$64k with very low KMs, manual and DSG, and even options too... which is fair.

http://carsales.com.au/used-cars/dealer/AUDI/TT/details.aspx?__Ntk=CarAll&__D=audi%20tt&__Dx=mode%20matchany&State=All%20States&R=6336481&state_id=0&keywords=audi%20tt&Cr=1&__N=0%2042%20500%20834%20285%20258%20287%201216&distance=25&__Ns=pCar_Price_Decimal|0||pCar_StatusSort_Int32|1&__Ntt=audi%20tt&trecs=42&__Qpb=true&__Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&silo=1000&__sid=11A5EB70492D&seot=0&sort_type=3&__Nne=20

a private buyer would have paid $74k for the same car +, dealer delivery fee, stamp duty, $5k worth of options... etc.. drive away they would have paid $90k (and wait 6 months as the car was in demand)

they think well I've driven the car for 1 year and 15,000km.. surely I wouldn't lose more than $15-20k...

when they trade it in to upgrade, the dealer will give them say 75% of rrp of $74k... or $55k (i'm being very generous here too).

so they try to sell it for $65 - $75k thinking someone will pay for it. they'll be waiting a long time..

The dealer has one with options for sale @ $65k, who will most likely sell it for $61-62k.

used car dealers are ruthless when it comes to 2nd car value, but most of the time, they are being realistic..

anyway, I was going off the tangent, but Ange, don't go crazy with the options as you will not recoup the extra cost.

a 3yo car with 65% residual is at the upper end of resale value.

most cars these days don't achieve 55%. falcons under 40%.

See if Audi has an agreement with your work place or lease company to provide you with fleet discounts and free servicing.

I know I can get fleet pricing plus 2 years servicing with BMW.

JohnBu
8th October 2008, 04:41 PM
John, keep in touch and you can buy my TTS in 3 years time :D

I'll buy it at the right price Ange :P

I'll probably more interested in a 1-2 yo Evo X in a couple of years..

depends on my future mortgage... the way things are going with the financial markets, i'll prob be unemployed!! :D

SSS_Hoon
8th October 2008, 04:51 PM
i never get it, when ppl are buying a car and are worried about what the damm resale value will be in a few years time.

For me its i buy a car cause i like it and want it now, not bcoz i want to sell it in a few years so what should i do ato keep the value up, what brand type of car should i buy to keep good resale value, o i wont drive my car too much as i dont want too many klm's on it when i go to sell/trade it in in a few years time.

Complete waste of time and just plain stupid (to me that is anyway).

SSS_Hoon

Wraith
8th October 2008, 04:53 PM
well I factored in the price of the car + GST. I've excluded the luxury car tax, as its a tax and you expect to get the LCT back when you sell (nor is the new higher LCT increase Audi by law must charge you set in stone).

65% is at the upper end of resale residual after 3 years. and that excludes LCT, Dealer Delivery Fees, rego, stamp duty, etc etc.

you get very little for options and accessories when it comes to used cars..

the more options you pay for when new, the lower your residual. Not saying a 2nd hand buyer don't care when buying, but they won't pay more for it.

If you look at 2007 audi TTs, you'll find that the dealers are advertising their demo cars for a lower price than the private sellers!!!

Dealer will advertise a demo for say 10% below rrp..

there's a few dealer advertised TT coupes for $63k-$64k with very low KMs, manual and DSG, and even options too... which is fair.

http://carsales.com.au/used-cars/dealer/AUDI/TT/details.aspx?__Ntk=CarAll&__D=audi%20tt&__Dx=mode%20matchany&State=All%20States&R=6336481&state_id=0&keywords=audi%20tt&Cr=1&__N=0%2042%20500%20834%20285%20258%20287%201216&distance=25&__Ns=pCar_Price_Decimal|0||pCar_StatusSort_Int32|1&__Ntt=audi%20tt&trecs=42&__Qpb=true&__Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&silo=1000&__sid=11A5EB70492D&seot=0&sort_type=3&__Nne=20

a private buyer would have paid $74k for the same car +, dealer delivery fee, stamp duty, $5k worth of options... etc.. drive away they would have paid $90k (and wait 6 months as the car was in demand)

they think well I've driven the car for 1 year and 15,000km.. surely I wouldn't lose more than $15-20k...

when they trade it in to upgrade, the dealer will give them say 75% of rrp of $74k... or $55k (i'm being very generous here too).

so they try to sell it for $65 - $75k thinking someone will pay for it. they'll be waiting a long time..

The dealer has one with options for sale @ $65k, who will most likely sell it for $61-62k.

used car dealers are ruthless when it comes to 2nd car value, but most of the time, they are being realistic..

anyway, I was going off the tangent, but Ange, don't go crazy with the options as you will not recoup the extra cost.

a 3yo car with 65% residual is at the upper end of resale value.

most cars these days don't achieve 55%. falcons under 40%.

See if Audi has an agreement with your work place or lease company to provide you with fleet discounts and free servicing.

I know I can get fleet pricing plus 2 years servicing with BMW.

Yeah John, what you've said above is correct...

I too have been researching re-sale figures on S/H TT's and most if not ALL private seller listed ones I've seen are asking over market value ???

No work deals for me, I'll be buying on my own, for my own private use - however if I do set myself up as a company operation in the future, the expensive car will be a great deduction...

I'll be very happy to get a guaranteed 55% 'balloon' deal and that seems more than possible from my dealings so far with the Audi dealership in question :) so ' if ' I get one, options or not, I'm looking at 55% of its total value coming back to me at the end of the 3 year term and then I'll step up to the next model or something else :)

Like I said earlier, these ARE NOT good times for the prestige or expensive car industry, low consumer confidence and the full impact of the U.S market crash is still not realised and bound to impact on Australia more in the near future and the increase in LCT means it'll only get worse for high end expensive brands to move or sell their new products - so hopefully if I go for it, I'll be able to get a very good deal, either on the o/a new purchase price or the forthcoming 3 year end period deal :)

See what happens :)

JohnBu
8th October 2008, 04:57 PM
i never get it, when ppl are buying a car and are worried about what the damm resale value will be in a few years time.

same reason why factor in fuel consumption, ongoing cost.

depreciation is the highest cost when it comes to total cost of car ownership (for a new car)

resale may not matter so much when you're bought a $20k car and plan to keep it for 10 years, but is a factor when you're paying over $100k- regardless of how rich you are.

your statement is foolish.

JohnBu
8th October 2008, 05:02 PM
Ange,

The increase in Luxury Car Tax is already charged for every car ordered from 01/07/2008- so you can't avoid it.

It is not in law yet, so buyers may receive a refund.

Currently the extra LCT is charged by the dealer, kept in a trust account until one of the following occurs:
- it is overturned, buyers get their money back without interest.
- the law is passed, govnmt collects it.

Luxury car sales surged in June 2008 as ppl who where planning on buying one in the near future ordered their cars prior to July. In July, sales expectantly tanked.

SSS_Hoon
8th October 2008, 05:04 PM
nope, not foolish its just that my statement/ my thoughts that is how i feel on the subject and that is that.

To me it means nothing. The depreciation/resale does not even come into my head when thinking of buying a new car not one single bit. Fuel consuption yeah a little bit but not really as i bet the TTS would get better fuel econ then i do in the pulsar LOL. On going cost are there in the background when i thinking about getting a car but they are not the deciding factor that is for sure.

My statement may be foolish to you but to me it makes total sense and that is all that matters when i am looking at buying a car (except well maybe the wife hehehe)

SSS_Hoon

Wraith
8th October 2008, 05:04 PM

For me its i buy a car cause i like it and want it now, not bcoz i want to sell it in a few years so what should i do ato keep the value up, what brand type of car should i buy to keep good resale value, o i wont drive my car too much as i dont want too many klm's on it when i go to sell/trade it in in a few years time.

Complete waste of time and just plain stupid (to me that is anyway).

SSS_Hoon

I agree with you mate :)

BUT I have to look at ALL options and all the ins and outs, because as I've stated I want to update to something new and better every 3 years, so re-sale values, finacial plans etc. etc. are all of vital importance to make that happen in a successful fashion...

At the end of the day, if want it, I'll buy it regardless, I've done that with expensive new cars before numerous times ! ;) and km's on them in my case will depend on how much I drive, I certainly won't be holding back because of km's build up as I won't be leasing - with certain buy plans like leasing, you are restricted to km's...

Point is after a while you wisen up and look for the best way possible - it is afterall a fantastic experience to do and I want to keep on doing it as many times as I can so I'll do it whichever way serves my interests best :)

I'm almost in my mid 40's and have been working and sacrificing long and hard to set myself up to one day be able to do this, I'm almost there :)

P.S John I know all about the LCT ;)

SSS_Hoon
8th October 2008, 05:18 PM
im not saying that i dont get why ppl do it, i do. I just dont see the point in doing it is all as i think you should enjoy it and not have to worry about weather or not you can go on the cruise down the coast in the new lux/sports car bcoz your scared it will put too many klms on it.

From all things i have read and seen on the TTS it does sound awesome, i jsut cannot get over the shape of it there is just something about it from the B pillar back that just erks me.

SSS_Hoon

JohnBu
8th October 2008, 05:18 PM
nope, not foolish its just that my statement/ my thoughts that is how i feel on the subject and that is that.

To me it means nothing. The depreciation/resale does not even come into my head when thinking of buying a new car not one single bit. Fuel consuption yeah a little bit but not really as i bet the TTS would get better fuel econ then i do in the pulsar LOL. On going cost are there in the background when i thinking about getting a car but they are not the deciding factor that is for sure.

My statement may be foolish to you but to me it makes total sense and that is all that matters when i am looking at buying a car (except well maybe the wife hehehe)

SSS_Hoon

you say you don't consider depreciation when it comes to cars but consider fuel economy.

depreciation in dollars cost you far more than fuel for a new car.

This scenario reminds me of my clients who build up their Cash Management Trust yet pay the minimum monthly payments on their credit cards. It makes sense to them, but not me.

I agree, once you buy a car, you should drive it everyday. A car that sits in the garage still depreciates

I understand where you are coming from as but we'll agree to disagree.

FYI, if I didn't have to pay for depreciation, I'll be driving a BMW M3.

mitchv
8th October 2008, 05:22 PM
I'm almost in my mid 40's and have been working and sacrificing long and hard to set myself up to one day be able to do this, I'm almost there :)

P.S John I know all about the LCT ;)

Lol, i thought you said you were about my dads age... :| hes abit older... hes 59... still urges for the quicker cars :P

As for fuel consumption, i think dad gets around 10's, but he doesnt drive it that spirited yet, still running it in.

Wraith
8th October 2008, 05:29 PM
im not saying that i dont get why ppl do it, i do. I just dont see the point in doing it is all as i think you should enjoy it and not have to worry about weather or not you can go on the cruise down the coast in the new lux/sports car bcoz your scared it will put too many klms on it.

From all things i have read and seen on the TTS it does sound awesome, i jsut cannot get over the shape of it there is just something about it from the B pillar back that just erks me.

SSS_Hoon

I can guarantee you if I get one, I'll be driving the damn thing near the beach LOL and not worried about km's :)

Albeit with windows down, because you can't get a sunroof on it DOH :doh:

And how can you say you don't like this shape ??? c'mon mate :p

I'd say about 99.9999% of the World's population reckon it's one of the sexiest cars going :D

http://i33.tinypic.com/10igv9y.jpg

Wraith
8th October 2008, 05:34 PM
Lol, i thought you said you were about my dads age... :| hes abit older... hes 59... still urges for the quicker cars :P

As for fuel consumption, i think dad gets around 10's, but he doesnt drive it that spirited yet, still running it in.

Hahahaha LOL - I did say 'probably' :)

I do feel good about myself as most new car buyers for these cars I'm looking at ATM are late 40's 50's and older :)

Same when I purchased my new HSV years back, I was about 10 years below the average age of that buying group too :)

Your dad sounds smart and self restrained too - running in properly before spirited or all out is the way to go ;)

SSS_Hoon
8th October 2008, 05:37 PM
i think about fuel econ, but its not a deciding factor in buying a car.

I thnk if you are that worrieda bout depreciation and what its worth in a few years/or as soon as u drive it out the driveway, then buy a used/2nd hand version of the car you want where most of the depreciation was taken buy someone else.

But yeah we will agree to disagree as i can see where your coming from.

i dont know, even that white pic of it still has me going mmm not too sure.

the front i dont mind its just the rear i guess its the older versions that were horrid still sticking in my mind, once i see more of them i may warm up to them some more.

SSS_Hoon

lithium
8th October 2008, 06:00 PM
nice write-up mate - bet you are looking forward to your longer drive so you can open it up a bit

at first i thought the TT-S was a bit over priced but now that i think about it it's actually pretty reasonable...evo-level performance without the bland interior, bland exterior and a euro badge on the front

i understand the issues with depreciation as mentioned. but i think the point being made is that as an enthusiast you wouldn't bloody care. if choice of car was purely an economic decision we would all be driving a Yaris :(

mitchv
8th October 2008, 08:28 PM
Hahahaha LOL - I did say 'probably' :)

I do feel good about myself as most new car buyers for these cars I'm looking at ATM are late 40's 50's and older :)

Same when I purchased my new HSV years back, I was about 10 years below the average age of that buying group too :)

Your dad sounds smart and self restrained too - running in properly before spirited or all out is the way to go ;)

Agree, i was in the same position, just bought my VXR about 2 weeks before he bought the TT, so we are both running in at the same time...

Wraith
8th October 2008, 08:35 PM
nice write-up mate - bet you are looking forward to your longer drive so you can open it up a bit

at first i thought the TT-S was a bit over priced but now that i think about it it's actually pretty reasonable...evo-level performance without the bland interior, bland exterior and a euro badge on the front

i understand the issues with depreciation as mentioned. but i think the point being made is that as an enthusiast you wouldn't bloody care. if choice of car was purely an economic decision we would all be driving a Yaris :(

Correct and correct - that is exactly what I've always done as a car enthusiast and I have mentioned this before in other threads - that as passionate car enthusiasts, we are our own worst enemies financially speaking...but hey the feeling is priceless right ;)

I've purchased new expensive cars in the past and lost lots of money on them and done it all over again and will do it yet again soon - it's all worth it to me :)

I'm just going to make sure that what ever choice of car I decide to settle on will keep me happy for at least a few years and also convinced I purchased it the best/smartest way possible that suits me and my personal particulars and I'm sure you guys can all relate to that :)

Wraith
8th October 2008, 08:43 PM
i think about fuel econ, but its not a deciding factor in buying a car.

I thnk if you are that worrieda bout depreciation and what its worth in a few years/or as soon as u drive it out the driveway, then buy a used/2nd hand version of the car you want where most of the depreciation was taken buy someone else.

But yeah we will agree to disagree as i can see where your coming from.

i dont know, even that white pic of it still has me going mmm not too sure.

the front i dont mind its just the rear i guess its the older versions that were horrid still sticking in my mind, once i see more of them i may warm up to them some more.

SSS_Hoon

Couple more pics just for you - c'mon mate :D how can you possibly not like the rear end on this car ??

It's beautiful enough to wanna hump :D :o

I'm purposely putting 'Ibis' white pics up to help sway you as I know that's your fav. car colour :)

http://i33.tinypic.com/96x94w.jpg

http://i33.tinypic.com/24qshgw.jpg

rjastra
8th October 2008, 09:40 PM
The OZ dollar has tanked 30% against major currencies in the last 6months.
This should be factored into any future plans I would think :(

dieselhead
8th October 2008, 10:17 PM
It will bounce back in a week, don't worry. Love that white TTS!

SSS_Hoon
9th October 2008, 06:01 AM
yeah even in the white it still not grabbing me and saying you must have this as much as the R8 does.

Give it time im sure it will grow on me (you will make it grow on me) like the GT-R.

SSS_Hoon

rjastra
9th October 2008, 08:00 AM
It will bounce back in a week, don't worry.

LOL, love your optimism :)

Wraith
9th October 2008, 08:33 AM
It will bounce back in a week, don't worry. Love that white TTS!

Correct, whether it's 1 week or 1 year it'll be ok eventually...

Besides that has not affected car pricing here and I doubt it will - I was hoping to actually see a drop in expensive car pricing since the expensive car market is at a low with dropping consumer confidence and the LCT increase...

If you love it in the pics, that white TTS is simply stunning in the flesh dieselhead, both the missus and I were literally drooling over it at the Audi dealers :drool:

I wore tripple jocks to conceal the explosions going on in my pants :o :D

Wraith
9th October 2008, 08:38 AM
yeah even in the white it still not grabbing me and saying you must have this as much as the R8 does.

Give it time im sure it will grow on me (you will make it grow on me) like the GT-R.

SSS_Hoon

LOL :)

True though that if you like something at least a little, it may grow on you :)

Bet if you took one for a drive you'd fall in love with it - not for the performance, there's plenty of that no doubt, but just the way it makes you feel being in and around one...that's what it's all about :)

SSS_Hoon
9th October 2008, 08:43 AM
id be too scared to take one for a drive for fear of not wanting to give it back, i know the wife would want to keep it. If there was room for a baby seat then there is no way we would be able to give it back.

I waiting for the RS6 Avant to take for a spin but i betting its about 2.5 TTS in the price department.

As its like that now when i get out of the GTI and the TTS would be a class above that in terms of well everything.

As for the dollar its already put back on 4c just this morning it will settle all out again and then slowly climb back up. As there is no real reason for our dollar to be down right now, its just a scare that noone will want out goods due to the current climate(not the weather version either).

SSS_Hoon

Wraith
9th October 2008, 08:57 AM
id be too scared to take one for a drive for fear of not wanting to give it back, i know the wife would want to keep it. If there was room for a baby seat then there is no way we would be able to give it back.

I waiting for the RS6 Avant to take for a spin but i betting its about 2.5 TTS in the price department.

As its like that now when i get out of the GTI and the TTS would be a class above that in terms of well everything.

As for the dollar its already put back on 4c just this morning it will settle all out again and then slowly climb back up. As there is no real reason for our dollar to be down right now, its just a scare that noone will want out goods due to the current climate(not the weather version either).

SSS_Hoon

Hahahaha LOL funny you should mention that...

When the missus and I rocked up for the test drive, I did tell her if you see the salesman walking back with a boot mark on the side of his head, it means I've 'ejected' him out of the car - get ready for me to come round the corner and pick you up and we're driving off with the thing :D

But then I remembered I'd already given them my licence DOH :doh:

Should've thought of that in advance and made a fake one :D

Definitely enough room in the back for baby seat/s :)

Drop in the dollar hasn't affected car pricing as mentioned...hopefully it makes them drop !

As mentioned, it does give consumers good bargaining power though with hard to sell products like expensive cars ATM...

Oh yes, the RS6 will be at least 250k :eek:

The missus was 'hanging around' the R8 also, they had 2 a black and white one - then we got the drive-a-way price, are you ready for this, as she certainly wasn't and almost fainted :D

304K :eek: :eek:

poita
9th October 2008, 10:25 AM
oh shit!!
hmmm now im stuck.
do i sell the house for 2 R35's or one R8.

SSS_Hoon
9th October 2008, 10:28 AM
easy choice there 1 R8 for sure.

Actually 1 RS6 Avant and one Getz (for the wife) LoL

was hoping to see the TTS at the motor show but jsut read that there is no Audi there this year dammit.

SSS_Hoon

Wraith
9th October 2008, 01:30 PM
oh shit!!
hmmm now im stuck.
do i sell the house for 2 R35's or one R8.

LOL tough one....

If you don't mind living on the streets and looks means everything, get the R8 :)

If you want the best performance car money can buy and still enough to also buy a very small house or flat to live in and garage/carport for the car, get the GT-R :)

Wraith
9th October 2008, 01:33 PM
easy choice there 1 R8 for sure.

Actually 1 RS6 Avant and one Getz (for the wife) LoL

was hoping to see the TTS at the motor show but jsut read that there is no Audi there this year dammit.

SSS_Hoon

That's strange ??

Maybe some brands have been caught out with the recent O/S recession or something and don't want to bother spending the money to host their cars ??

rjastra
9th October 2008, 01:36 PM
That's strange ??

Maybe some brands have been caught out with the recent O/S recession or something and don't want to bother spending the money to host their cars ??

Quite a few manufacturers wont be at the Sydney Motorshow.. OR the upcoming one in Melbourne.

They are trying to force the shows to alternate years to save costs.

No, audi, bmw, merc, porsche, fiat, citroen, etc etc

poita
9th October 2008, 01:45 PM
someones sig from a forum was along the lines of

"you can live in your car, but you cant drive your house to work"
im thinking of seeing how true it is :p

OT: for the prices of the TTS honest question, why not save some extra coin for the GTR?
If your lookin at around the 100k mark for this?

Wraith
9th October 2008, 01:45 PM
Quite a few manufacturers wont be at the Sydney Motorshow.. OR the upcoming one in Melbourne.

They are trying to force the shows to alternate years to save costs.

No, audi, bmw, merc, porsche, fiat, citroen, etc etc

Damn shame - I just knew it had to do with costs :(

I was looking forward to early next year' Melb. Int. motor show in hopes of seeing the new TT-RS :(

At least we may be able to see the R35 in the flesh again :)

d.c.
10th October 2008, 04:20 PM
The TTS got a top review in the PCOTY heats in the latest Motor magazine, equal 3rd with the new Evo. To have Evo performance and looks like it does its something special.

Wraith
10th October 2008, 05:06 PM
someones sig from a forum was along the lines of

"you can live in your car, but you cant drive your house to work"
im thinking of seeing how true it is :p

OT: for the prices of the TTS honest question, why not save some extra coin for the GTR?
If your lookin at around the 100k mark for this?

LOL I'd rather stick to house 1st - car 2nd !

Have thought about that one Poita - but 50% extra from 100k+ to 150k+ is a massive budget stretch I can't allow for - unfortunately...

I probably could if I waited another few more years, but by then there might be something else better ??, petrol cars may have dropped in price ??, or who knows what'll happen...I'll be ready to go in 6-12 months time so will get whichever suits me best at that time, but 100k+ max. budget :)

As I've stated my intention is to update every 3 years, maybe the GT-R will be next ?? could be an R36 by then :D

Wraith
10th October 2008, 05:11 PM
The TTS got a top review in the PCOTY heats in the latest Motor magazine, equal 3rd with the new Evo. To have Evo performance and looks like it does its something special.

Yep, that's true and already noted by people on previous pages :)

I can only repeat, I absolutely totally love this car, even before I test drove it, now I can't stop thinking about it :)

Still I'll follow the process of test driving and comparing to others in the same class and seeing what happens with the current economic climate, before any firm decisions...

bornwild
10th October 2008, 08:14 PM
Ange, when are you driving the bimmer mate?

SSS_Hoon
15th October 2008, 08:32 AM
Seen a white TTS in the flesh on the weekend and gotta say it does look good in the metal especially front on, the rear still leaves me thinking nah...

SSS_Hoon

Wraith
15th October 2008, 08:42 AM
Ange, when are you driving the bimmer mate?

Hi BW :)

135i test drive booked in for Saturday 1st Nov. really looking forward to that one :)

Like I've said earlier, I won't be making any firm decisions just yet - too many juicy new arrivals coming over the next 6 months that I also want to consider (TT-RS, 370Z and possibly 450Z ?? and 135i with 7sp DCT) which works out well with my other personal commitments and financial plan :)

For me it's always been a good idea to test drive well in advance and see how it sticks with me or not over a small period of time...

Wraith
15th October 2008, 08:49 AM
Seen a white TTS in the flesh on the weekend and gotta say it does look good in the metal especially front on, the rear still leaves me thinking nah...

SSS_Hoon

Really ?? what about those sexy quads - surely you like that part of the rear :D

That's how it always starts, from liking a little, you may end up loving the lot :)

That's exactly what happened to me back in '99 - was all set to buy an LS1 powered VT series II SS, had seen the HSV's but didn't like the body kit at first....then as the months went by, it started to grow on me and when I was ready to go, I opted for the HSV over the SS and not only that, I went straight to the top of the model range and got the R8 variant....the VT II GTS was still not released at that time or I would have got one of those, despite the rip price tag, it was as much a stand out back then as the new W427 is now :)

SSS_Hoon
17th October 2008, 08:15 AM
The quads nah i think thats a wank factor lol.

Nice set of twins would look just as good.

No matter how much i grow to like it wont make a difference as i will never own one anyway LoL.

Considering that i hated white cars only a few years ago and now i love them and want to paint my SSS white...

SSS_Hoon