PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear - Post your opinions

Pages : [1] 2

Taffy
29th September 2008, 07:32 PM
I know it's early ! But post up what you think of the new show here once it's finished. :clap:

so far I'm impressed by the replica studio.

poita
29th September 2008, 07:42 PM
looks good so far, dont mind it :)

the dude in the check shirt, should be on a kids science show though lol

Huhness
29th September 2008, 07:48 PM
That first segment was lame.. Who starts a lambo and revs it to the limit not even a second after starting it??

Someone wanna start a Dad joke counter..? Hear That?? Silence of the Lamborghini.. Oh... :rolleyes:

Huhness
29th September 2008, 07:53 PM
I'm the australian stig

Vectracious
29th September 2008, 07:56 PM
Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad

I'm just continually cringing...

- question mark, bus stop????? WTF what a shit track.

and the guy in the brown jacket with the moustache is crap......

My 0.02

Huhness
29th September 2008, 07:59 PM
this episode seems really rushed.. they didn't even show us what their track looks like??

poita
29th September 2008, 07:59 PM
can u add an undecided option
the more i wastch it the less convinced i am

Huhness
29th September 2008, 08:02 PM
Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad

I'm just continually cringing...

- question mark, bus stop????? WTF what a shit track.

and the guy in the brown jacket with the moustache is crap......

My 0.02
Exactly..

OMG WHAT WE'RE THEY THINKINGGGG... Slap up Australia Top Gear..

Vectracious
29th September 2008, 08:02 PM
The "what were they thinking?" wall??????

Put a picture of Top Gear Australia on it....

Vectracious
29th September 2008, 08:03 PM
ROFLMAO Huhness - great minds think alike!!!

Hackstra
29th September 2008, 08:06 PM
I dunno, I know its a Top Gear Production, but do they have to do EVERYTHING the same except make it corny and Australian somehow haha, I like the fact that its Aussie though, so we can relate to it, maybe know some of the celebs! I rekon the camera views on the track arent great. alphonse gangitano!

xplosv57
29th September 2008, 08:06 PM
It's just gone up a notch in my book cos Vince Colosimo is on, anything with him in it is good!!!

Huhness
29th September 2008, 08:07 PM
vince is doing a better job than the hosts..

Huhness
29th September 2008, 08:08 PM
hahaha the old guy when he was listening to vince looks like he was going to fall asleep in his chair.

Hackstra
29th September 2008, 08:08 PM
SAAB! Vince nooooo

glider
29th September 2008, 08:17 PM
i think it will get better, once they receive reviews and so forth

Huhness
29th September 2008, 08:18 PM
haven't they already recorded all the shows..

poita
29th September 2008, 08:21 PM
most of the shows have been done already

glider
29th September 2008, 08:22 PM
do you mean all the studio shows or just the road tests/challenges?

tim_
29th September 2008, 08:25 PM
i think the audience looks bored lol they can't evoke responses from them

aww warren is drawing. it's like the daily telegraph

Tigra
29th September 2008, 08:26 PM
i think it will get better, once they receive reviews and so forth

They wont be good ones by the looks of it.

Dont like it, its painful. Jokes sound tooo scripted and not funny. Not happy with the Sand Dune challenge, why only test three softroaders....where was the Outlander?

I think they would have been better getting some home grown motorsport personalities hosting it.

Host One: Neil Crompton - Knows his stuff and manages the commentating on V8Supercars well.
Host Two: Grant Denyer - He can be the funny guy. Household name and good to watch.
Host Three: Craig Lowndes or Mark Skaife.....

Complaints to:

[email protected] ([email protected])

Huhness
29th September 2008, 08:26 PM
oh he is a cartoonist! he offers so much to top gear!!

Huhness
29th September 2008, 08:28 PM
Grant Denyer probably would have been a good host compared to any of these guys.

tim_
29th September 2008, 08:31 PM
this challenge is just stupid. i'm not at all impressed.

Huhness
29th September 2008, 08:31 PM
WOW was that shark scene over dramatized or what???

glider
29th September 2008, 08:33 PM
hmm, im going to wait for next weeks episode to decide whether i like or not

tim_
it gets a 5 out of 10 from me. and thats because it had a gallardo on it.

Tigra
WOW was that shark scene over dramatized or what???

Better if it ate the host.

Shaun

Dont like it, its painful. Jokes sound tooo scripted and not funny. Not happy with the Sand Dune challenge, why only test three softroaders....where was the Outlander?

I think they would have been better getting some home grown motorsport personalities hosting it.

Host One: Neil Crompton - Knows his stuff and manages the commentating on V8Supercars well.
Host Two: Grant Denyer - He can be the funny guy. Household name and good to watch.

Complaints to:

Niel Crompton: Under Contract to AVESCO owned Broadcast company V8 Supercar TV. (Channel 7 only the rights to broad cast the Series)

Grant Denyer: Under contract to Channel 7 and is linked to the Ford Motorcompany with would be a conflict of interest

Mark Skaife : Under Contract to Holden Limted / HSV . Conflict of Interest

Craig Lowndes: Under Contract to Ford Motor Company which would be a conflict of interest.

I wasnt able to view the show. But i would like to if anyone recorded it and can burn it to a DVD for me so i could comment.

poita
29th September 2008, 08:35 PM
im still undecided, but more no than yes.
will watch the next couple of eps and see if it gets better.
hopefully it gets better

tim_
it had better improve. hopefully it's just the road tests that are prerecorded.

Dowie
hmm, im going to wait for next weeks episode to decide whether i like or not

+1
TBH i did expect alot more from it.

Huhness
29th September 2008, 08:36 PM
Niel Crompton: Under Contract to AVESCO owned Broadcast company V8 Supercar TV. (Channel 7 only the rights to broad cast the Series)

Grant Denyer: Under contract to Channel 7 and is linked to the Ford Motorcompany with would be a conflict of interest

Mark Skaife : Under Contract to Holden Limted / HSV . Conflict of Interest

Craig Lowndes: Under Contract to Ford Motor Company which would be a conflict of interest.

I wasnt able to view the show. But i would like to if anyone recorded it and can burn it to a DVD for me so i could comment.
You should use the hour of your life for better things.. like sleeping..

glider
29th September 2008, 08:36 PM
uk record in studio part weekly, hopefully same here

it had better improve. hopefully it's just the road tests that are prerecorded.

xplosv57
29th September 2008, 08:37 PM
Ehh Top Gear kills an hour till the 90210 **** fest is on!!!!!!!!!!!

Huhness
29th September 2008, 08:38 PM
Doesn't that young host drive for Porsche??

tim_
29th September 2008, 08:39 PM
Ehh Top Gear kills an hour till the 90210 **** fest is on!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL!!

poita
29th September 2008, 08:39 PM
hes a driver at a porsche driving school afaik

Taffy
29th September 2008, 08:40 PM

Complaints to:

I emailed SBS and top Gear a link to this thread.

hehehe

Hello if you reading this

Snotty
29th September 2008, 08:40 PM
tom williams got voted off idol....

Huhness
29th September 2008, 08:41 PM
I emailed SBS and top Gear a link to this thread.

hehehe

Hello if you reading this
Someone voted YES so they must be watching... :D

Huhness
29th September 2008, 08:42 PM
The pussy looked like he was gonna start crying..

sooty
29th September 2008, 08:42 PM
Was alright, funny in parts, but definitely a bit trying too hard, sorta expected it in the first ep.
It'll take a while to get used to the hosts etc, only once you know their mannerisms etc and they relax into it will it truly improve. Charlie Cox seems a tad annoying, and maybe too old for the role.
i'm still gonna watch it, so i guess i like it :cool:

Tigra
29th September 2008, 08:43 PM
An email that was sent by someone, off another Automotive forum:

-----------------------------------------------
To: [email protected] ([email protected])
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2008 8:22 PM
Subject: Top Gear Australia

To whom it may concern.

PLEASE for the love of god kill this spawn of Satan!

All this show has, are 3 wannabe journalists, and a whole set from England with the poor stig who has been stuffed in one of his travel cases.

Send the set and Stig back to the Mother Land please and save the airtime.

Regards
An upset viewer.

aka. Dan K.

vectraguy01
29th September 2008, 08:45 PM
its got our aussie humour which is great, should be great to see next wk, ford vs holden!!!

tim_
29th September 2008, 08:47 PM

you can tell this year is about talent. there's no "talent" in the guys or the girls...

Snotty
29th September 2008, 08:49 PM
you can tell this year is about talent. there's no "talent" in the guys or the girls...

i like the blonde or the one who got voted off last week.

tim_
29th September 2008, 08:52 PM
none of the boys are any good. i feel like i've walked i'm watching a metallica gig, but with a more homosexual friendly stage

Snotty
29th September 2008, 08:54 PM
ps i voted yes, becasue i got air like the rav4 did (just not as much) and broke the same peice of plastic guard on my foz and thought it was funny.

but poor choice of cahllenge for the first impressions of the show, could of thought of something better to enterntain the car enthusiast rather than the soccer mums

bornwild
29th September 2008, 08:55 PM
Hmmm...I'll hold my opinion back until next episode

xplosv57
29th September 2008, 09:03 PM
ps i voted yes, becasue i got air like the rav4 did (just not as much) and broke the same peice of plastic guard on my foz and thought it was funny.

Those were my fav bits too, hope next weeks episode is better with the VE and FG but i guess it won't be as good as the original!!! But i'm still gonna watch it, it's better than what i thought but they're giving it a go, i believe were the only country to try it!!

Wish they'd freakin showed us the test track layout, they just blurted out corners whenever the car was taking it!!!

Now back to perving on Silver time...........:dance:

Taffy
29th September 2008, 09:13 PM
American version is on the way too.

Ummm I just read elsewhere that Australia is no longer allowed to show the original version (i.e. the new episodes).

Hope this is incorrect !

dieselhead
29th September 2008, 09:15 PM
please give the guys a go! do you really think Clarkson was at his greatest from episode one? :)

dieselhead
29th September 2008, 09:17 PM
Ummm I just read elsewhere that Australia is no longer allowed to show the original version (i.e. the new episodes).

Hope this is incorrect !

who cares? what do you think monthly download quota is for? i've got 40 gigs of it to use.

check here to see what the world thinks. (http://forums.finalgear.com/tg-aus-specific-episode-discussions/01x01-september-29th-2008-a-30679/)

Taffy
29th September 2008, 09:20 PM
who cares? what do you think monthly download quota is for? i've got 40 gigs of it to use.

Me. I can't get fast internet :(

ASTRAY
29th September 2008, 09:22 PM
i think it was good for a first show, as someone else said in here, once the hosts settle into their roles, and us veiwers get used to the hosts, then it will be enjoyable for us.
the track is apparently at camden in nsw (near campbelltown)
camden is a quiet sleepy town that has really only awoken in the last 10 or so years, so i can understand the airport is small, hence a small crap track. once the show takes off, sbs may invest further and move the track to a different venue, perhaps oran park or eastern creek.
guys lets face it, almost all aussie shows suck, lets just give this one a chance in the hope it turns into something we can all love.
it does have a very uk top gear feel to it in every aspect (even the old bloke sounds bloody pommy!)
i found myself laughing a few times and found it enjoyable.
i have voted yes.

ASTRAY
29th September 2008, 09:23 PM
please give the guys a go! do you really think Clarkson was at his greatest from episode one? :)
+1 !

Theo
29th September 2008, 09:40 PM
I think the guys tried too hard.
Also the race track seems shyte.

Calibrated
29th September 2008, 09:49 PM
my thoughts.

fail..

he ****ed the rav
he limited a cold lambo in studio
he almost lost the subaru over the cliff

for "enthusiasts" they should know better.

and the old dude was seriously working on my tits. one of the most annoying tv show hosts ever.

other than that, it was put together well. lets see how the rest of the season goes

none of the boys are any good. i feel like i've walked i'm watching a metallica gig, but with a more homosexual friendly stage

are you kidding?

Wez is brilliant. he will win.

chrissn89
29th September 2008, 09:59 PM
my thoughts.

he ****ed the rav
he limited a cold lambo in studio
he almost lost the subaru over the cliff

for "enthusiasts" they should know better.

Totally agree, even my mum knows not to do a rev limiter check on a cold engine and she drives a Mitsu 380. Idiots, hope the rest of the eps are better although ill still watch them. You do that kinda shit to a loan/hire car, come on guys.

Hackstra
29th September 2008, 10:04 PM
Looking forward to next week for GTO v GT v F6

dieselhead
29th September 2008, 10:22 PM
Warren should use that pencil to draw a map of the bloody track, so we can understand what the hell is going on. how hard would that be?

loved how Warren found so easily something in the Lambo that Clarkson wasn't able to a few episodes ago :D

poita
29th September 2008, 10:33 PM
Warren should use that pencil to draw a map of the bloody track, so we can understand what the hell is going on. how hard would that be?

loved how Warren found so easily something in the Lambo that Clarkson wasn't able to a few episodes ago :D

i had a good laugh at that.
thats true aussie style right there
cheap shot at the poms wen ever they can :D

Hackstra
29th September 2008, 10:46 PM

What was that again?

poita
29th September 2008, 10:48 PM
fuel cap release

Black Nugget
29th September 2008, 10:48 PM
TBH I think it was very solid you guys need to give it a bit of a go.

The original Top gear itself took a few seasons to really get going

Whats most frustrating is that this is the best and only show dedicated to cars and australian driving issues and you allready want it to be the same as the UK

sure its not as good as the UK version but its better than most australian drible on tv or american soapies.

Surely to have a fairly decent australian show about cars should be praised not dismissed purely based on the first episode or first five minutes as some people on here have.

Im sorry i thought that perhaps a car forum would think that perhaps more than one car show a week is good, I must have been mistaken....

imay
29th September 2008, 11:03 PM
Dis-likes:
Charlie (too over-the-top)
Flick here, flick there, out of focus, trendy camera angles and rapid moving of camera. I WANNA SEE THE CARS!!!
Format too much like the parent show (which IMO is getting a little stale)

with an Aussie element of humor (but too much Pommy-type humor there at the moment)
set amongst Aussie backdrops

It can only get better . . . . . . . . . I really hope so, anyway!

Hackstra
30th September 2008, 07:15 AM
I'm liking the show purely because it's Australian and will relate to Australian driving. The only thing i dont like is the camera views on the track, they show too much 'in car' views and the only main out of car views is when its going around slow corners! They need to draw a map of the track so viewers can understand the track. Otherwise thumbs up!

Vectracious
30th September 2008, 07:22 AM
and you allready want it to be the same as the UK

Nope.

They had the chance hear to make something different - instead its the same studio, with presenters that kind of but not really like the UK crew, with a try hard copies of concepts from the UK show.

And at the end of the day - people are entitled to their opinion. You liked it? Great. If people didn't - then they are allowed to say so.

SSS_Hoon
30th September 2008, 07:40 AM
it was fairly decent i guess, although i think it was too much tring to be the UK show instead of a Aussie show. But they will change it and listen to the viewers if they want to keep it going.

I do think that at least on of the presenters should of been at least someone that most aussies at least know of.

Hell the first season of the UK was crap they even got rid of one of the presenters and then brought May in for the 2nd season and even that was not the best.

Just hope that they let it run its course and allow it to evolve into the great show that it has the potentail to be.

SSS_Hoon

Vectracious
30th September 2008, 08:07 AM
I do think that at least on of the presenters should of been at least someone that most aussies at least know of.

Good point - I've never heard of and dont remember seeing any of the presenters anywhere?

Just had a look

Charlie Cox was some news broadcaster in Sydney - and Warren Brown is a cartoonist for the Daily Telegraph.

No wonder most people haven't a clue where these guys a from - and before all the Sydney girls start arcing up, it would have been the same if they chose Neil Mitchell and Michael Leunig (from Melbourne) to do it.

EAK33Y
30th September 2008, 08:07 AM
The Tracks at Blacktown Airport.My mates car got driven down there (Stretch Hummer) and they where doewn there a month ago racing.He also thinks the Stig is Damin Hill

Wraith
30th September 2008, 08:34 AM
My O/A impression after episode one = not bad...

Don't like the crew - might take some time to get used to, especially the gap tooth guy, trying to immitate James May :rolleyes:

Lead guy trying to immitate Clarkson, big fail dude...

As for the show itself, IMHO the content was good, about 50 minutes on cars and 10 minutes of rubbish and nonsense, that the U.K show is known for, the average U.K Top Gear episode will have 10 minutes on cars and the remaining 50 minutes of typical pommy humour garbage...unfortunately you have to put up with this crap content, because they want to attract viewers who arn't neccessarily car enthusiasts :rolleyes:

Good to see a big list of cars already on the score board after only one episode and to see the GT-R on top of the pile already :D

btm
30th September 2008, 08:56 AM
all in all, i didnt think it was too bad

its only the first episode, when they get settled in a bit more it could actually be alright

Calibrated
30th September 2008, 09:03 AM
.He also thinks the Stig is Damin Hill
no chance. did you see how short the stig is???

and to see the GT-R on top of the pile already :D

they used the Haltech GTR which everyone knows is not stock. not fair imo.

Vectracious
30th September 2008, 09:26 AM
As for the show itself, IMHO the content was good, about 50 minutes on cars and 10 minutes of rubbish and nonsense, that the U.K show is known for, the average U.K Top Gear episode will have 10 minutes on cars and the remaining 50 minutes of typical pommy humour garbage...unfortunately you have to put up with this crap content, because they want to attract viewers who arn't neccessarily car enthusiasts :rolleyes:

I see your point Ange but.......

I dunno whether I read this here or somewhere else, but if I want to read about cars and specs and all that stuff - I'll buy the mag or look it up on the net - the reason why I do watch UK top gear is for the Pommy humour, the piss farting around, and the way they just make the show (cinematography, music, etc) - I don't watch it to find out everything about the car they are looking at.

And that's what annoys me about TG-Aus - that they've just gone for a carbon copy of the UK show - but changed a couple of words in it like a naughty school kid who is copying his mates assignment.

We're more original than that.

Calibrated
30th September 2008, 10:38 AM
the stig is roger cordia

immenotu
30th September 2008, 11:03 AM
I enjoyed it...yes some of the humour was way to scripted and pretty lame but that should get better once the presenters settle in a bit and stop trying so hard.

With copying the UK set, im thinking maybe it was a condition of being able to have Top Gear Aus??? Maybe they had to keep certain things the same to link in with the UK version?

Ill definitely keep watching, i just hope enough people give it a chance to evolve into a top show, i think its off to a good start.

Wraith
30th September 2008, 11:57 AM
I see your point Ange but.......

I dunno whether I read this here or somewhere else, but if I want to read about cars and specs and all that stuff - I'll buy the mag or look it up on the net - the reason why I do watch UK top gear is for the Pommy humour, the piss farting around, and the way they just make the show (cinematography, music, etc) - I don't watch it to find out everything about the car they are looking at.

And that's what annoys me about TG-Aus - that they've just gone for a carbon copy of the UK show - but changed a couple of words in it like a naughty school kid who is copying his mates assignment.

We're more original than that.

Good points...

In terms of the show being almost a carbon copy of the U.K show - maybe that's the way the higher ups want it ??? therefore no choice on the part of the Aussie crew but to act or present the show the way they've been instucted to ???

As for the Aussie stig, I too noticed a shorter, stumpier looking fella in the pic, compared to the U.K pic hanging up of him...wonder who it is :)

Wraith
30th September 2008, 12:03 PM
they used the Haltech GTR which everyone knows is not stock. not fair imo.

It dosn't matter, compared to all the cars tested so far, including the new PDK equipped Porker, even a standard R35 GT-R would still be on top of the list ;) it's already been compared to that new 911 in other World tests and blown its doors off :D

BTW I have the full specs on the Haltech GT-R, it's tune is only a whisker over that of a stock car, because they still havn't figured out all the ins and outs of the ecu...so not much difference in performance anyway - if on the other hand it was one of the Japanese tuners cars, like Mines or Powerhouse Amuse, then yes, no fair - one of those tuned R35's would kill even a Veyron :D

Calibrated
30th September 2008, 12:23 PM
It dosn't matter, compared to all the cars tested so far, including the new PDK equipped Porker, even a standard R35 GT-R would still be on top of the list ;) it's already been compared to that new 911 in other World tests and blown its doors off :D

BTW I have the full specs on the Haltech GT-R, it's tune is only a whisker over that of a stock car, because they still havn't figured out all the ins and outs of the ecu...so not much difference in performance anyway - if on the other hand it was one of the Japanese tuners cars, like Mines or Powerhouse Amuse, then yes, no fair - one of those tuned R35's would kill even a Veyron :D
specs i have seen on the Haltech GTR seems to be ALOT more than a whisker over standard....

Wraith
30th September 2008, 01:46 PM
specs i have seen on the Haltech GTR seems to be ALOT more than a whisker over standard....

Nope, if you go to the GT-R Blog. it's all there :)

Boost increased by about 2psi constant or something like that and only on one occaision were thay able to do a much better 1/4 mile run @ 11.2 (0.4-0.5) sec better than stock.

And to repeat, it dosn't matter anyway - stock R35 will hose all those other cars on the current Aust. Top Gear track results anyway :)

I'm looking forward to seeing the new Corvette ZR1 with the LS9 engine on the show - now that may just knock it off its purch, but only if the Aust. Stig is good enough, as the Corvette needs extreme driver skill compared with the GT-R which can make anybody look good :)

btm
30th September 2008, 03:51 PM
back on topic :p

it almost got 1 million viewers last night and a second series is already in the pipeline...

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24425336-5001028,00.html

glider
30th September 2008, 04:03 PM
ok heres my fair review

Overall not a bad starting episode, the scripts lacked a bit of spontaneity and some aspects of the show seemed a little cheap (for example using printouts of cars on paper when doing the news etc). The camera angles were a bit awkward at times, The hosts tended to look at the audience/each other more than the camera, hopefully this is just shyness and they will get more used to them as the series progresses. You could be excused for thinking there was a precursor to this episode, some things were not explained very well, for example the test track, the audience was shown no layout of the track and the camera angles did not do the track justice. The Porsche road test was different to the standard Top Gear UK road test in that the car was not taken to the track and given a belting, there was very little information about the performance of the vehicle, once again this is something that can easily be adjusted. The last challenge was a bit strange, there was a large rather traditional buildup and then it was wrapped up very quickly with not much explanation.

Being the first show, there were obviously going to be some things that needed ironing out, I would give the episode a 3/5

Huhness
30th September 2008, 04:14 PM
The Hosts are a group of twats - 1/5

There was NO substance to the show! What was the outcome of the soft roaders?? What was the point of the 2 minute review of the maybach?? WOW IT COMES WITH HEADPHONES! The Porsche review was boring! The shark scene was over dramatised and way OTT! Was the only good part the RAV4 flying off the sand dune?

they have had plenty of time to make the show good! Its not shown live so why were they so bad???

glider
30th September 2008, 04:26 PM
heres a more reasonable comparison to the episode

Top Gear UK Season 1 Episode 3:
Mini Roadtest
http://www.clipser.com/watch_video/135230
KTR Test
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=nhVyJGUn8no

Wraith
30th September 2008, 04:48 PM
Seems pretty much equally liked and disliked according to the poll...

That's actually a very good result in favour of the show, considering it was the 1st or pilot run :)

It can only get better and also like it or not, the longer a show goes on for the more it'll grow on people, this is simply human nature ;)

I believe the original Top Gear had similar beginnings...

Calibrated
30th September 2008, 05:54 PM
I believe the original Top Gear had similar beginnings...

yes. but

that was what, 8 years ago?

so the AUS version has had alot of experience to draw upon, of which they clearly didnt learn a thing, besides how to copy (which they still didnt do well)

Wraith
30th September 2008, 07:33 PM
yes. but

that was what, 8 years ago?

so the AUS version has had alot of experience to draw upon, of which they clearly didnt learn a thing, besides how to copy (which they still didnt do well)

True Calibrated, but as I mentioned in a previous post, maybe they have no choice but to follow certain guidelines set out to them by the shows managers/producers ???

If this is the case, then they have a certain role to play or act (which is what it certainly looks like to me) you can't blame them for the it or the shows format...

You could still have a disliking to the characters themselves, but watch it long enough and you'll get used to them ;)

The individuals/hosts are just a little too new and unfamiliar ATM...

nadg63
1st October 2008, 01:33 AM
Glad I recorded it rather than watch it live - even happier the fast-forward button worked, though probably wore it out!!!

Not impressed.

R3N
1st October 2008, 02:26 AM
i cant be bothered going through all 6 pages of posts... but i heard there is an american version coming out too? i only managed to catch the last half of TG aus which was pretty boring but i heard that they red lined an lp560 cold???!!!

btm
1st October 2008, 08:59 AM
but i heard that they red lined an lp560 cold???!!!
it appeared that way, although who's to say it hadnt been running beforehand

Red AH SRI T
1st October 2008, 09:01 AM
For a first episode it wasn't bad. When you look at the first episodes of UKTG it was on par with those.

To the baggers, I say give it a few episodes and see if the hosts settle in with each other.

There was a few times they made me laugh. Now whether that was because they were actually funny or because they were just stupid is another matter, but hey, they made me laugh so who cares?

Vectracious
1st October 2008, 09:18 AM
but i heard that they red lined an lp560 cold???!!!

I'm sure the people standing behind it appreciated a face full of exhaust either way :p :rolleyes:

Calibrated
1st October 2008, 09:21 AM
i cant be bothered going through all 6 pages of posts... but i heard there is an american version coming out too? i only managed to catch the last half of TG aus which was pretty boring but i heard that they red lined an lp560 cold???!!!
its been shelved. they tried to buy JC. he blatantly refused.

btm
1st October 2008, 09:33 AM
I'm sure the people standing behind it appreciated a face full of exhaust either way :p :rolleyes:

ha! true, would have been freakin loud too!

Huhness
1st October 2008, 09:55 AM
The look and reaction from the other hosts tells me otherwise.. and they are not THAT good at acting..

Wraith
1st October 2008, 01:17 PM
Huhness - of topic - but you'll have to tell us all about/describe your Xr5...recently taken note of your avatar and sig.

I'm interested to hear from an Astra owners perspective and personally what you think about the car overall :)

Maybe post up a thread, if you've done so already, direct me to it :)

Sorry all - back on topic - the 3 Aust. stooges :D or is that 4...

bornwild
1st October 2008, 06:07 PM
Who cares that they redlined an LP560 cold??

It's a massive engine...it can take it for a bit. They do test their engines at redlines for a couple of thousand kilometres, you know.

SIMid
3rd October 2008, 12:50 PM
The test track is at Camden Airport for those who dont know.

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/5295/tgamapthankstogoogleen5.jpg

It looks a bit lame.

poita
3rd October 2008, 01:24 PM
yes it does look lame.
they should do the same track

Calibrated
3rd October 2008, 01:41 PM

It looks a bit lame.
its a coathanger,

wow that is a shit track.

Vectracious
3rd October 2008, 01:49 PM
its a coathanger,

wow that is a shit track.

LOL

You can see the "question mark" and the "bus stop" so clearly!!! :rolleyes:

dieselhead
3rd October 2008, 01:56 PM
Well, it's in our hands guys. Keep watching, higher audience figures would lead to more money for SBS and that could mean a better show, a better track! My feeling is the show is in an "experimental" phase, done on a tight budget.

They should have done it in Mallala, much better track here and betcha way better value for money :D

ASTRAY
3rd October 2008, 02:58 PM

It looks a bit lame.

aha! so i was right! ner ner :p

looked like it to me, very dry out that way. farming land.

EL BURITO
3rd October 2008, 04:35 PM

It looks a bit lame.
now tell me that is not set up for big aussie car then what is.

now compare it to that
http://www.topgear.com/content/features/stories/2007/10/stories/09/01large.jpg

sooty
6th October 2008, 08:32 PM
Was better this time i thought...but Cox still didn't even remotely begin to talk about the handling of the GT.

ASTRAY
6th October 2008, 08:49 PM
ahhhhh fk! i missed it!
grrr @ the missus and her pansy drama shows!

MatsHolden
6th October 2008, 08:51 PM
Yeah was better.

dieselhead
6th October 2008, 09:08 PM
Stig in the 20 tonne mining megatruck at 20 km/h is a classic :)
Overall, a much better episode.

poita
6th October 2008, 09:11 PM
yer not too bad, i missed some of it.
we got a new puppy so had to go out and buy some stuff

Wraith
6th October 2008, 09:12 PM
Just finished watching episode 2 as well and I can stick to exactly what I said after episode 1 and ie: it's definitely getting better !

If not for the content (which was very good) it'll be because you simply get more and more used to the people/commentators...

Great 2nd show, enjoyed it very much, hopefully they keep up the good content relating to cars and don't eventually go off on a tangent like the 3 pommy stooges and fill the show up with useless garbage content, just to attract viewer ratings with the general non car enthusiast public...

Jerram
6th October 2008, 09:32 PM
better this week

chrissn89
6th October 2008, 09:53 PM
alot better tonight, go the red and blue.

sooty
6th October 2008, 10:08 PM
go the red and blue.

That F6 had some legs when it finally got going! Stupidly slow off the start though

ASTRAY
6th October 2008, 10:27 PM
if anyone knows where i can view tonights ep, can you please let me know. willing to pay for any dvds/cds used :D

sooty
6th October 2008, 10:32 PM
if anyone knows where i can view tonights ep, can you please let me know. willing to pay for any dvds/cds used :D

tried www.finalgear.com (http://www.finalgear.com) ?
EDIT: it's not up yet, but shouldn't be too far off
http://www.finalgear.com/shows/topgearaus/1/

ASTRAY
6th October 2008, 10:45 PM
cheers,eagerly awaiting for it to be uploaded.
thankyou again :dance:

bornwild
6th October 2008, 10:48 PM
That F6 had some legs when it finally got going! Stupidly slow off the start though

That's because that idiot took about a second just to step on the accelerator

chrissn89
6th October 2008, 10:50 PM
That's because that idiot took about a second just to step on the accelerator

+1 he gave the commie a massive head start

Wraith
6th October 2008, 11:14 PM

Not really D145, it can run 5's to 100km/h, it's just that up against the HSV 6.2ltr V8 it made it look that way :)

The 6.2ltr donk in the current HSV's cranks out 400nm at just 1000rpm or right off the mark, so it just leaps forward, and it has 320kw to put the rest of the 160nm (total 560nm) to work...

The turbo six pack in the Ford needs to get over 3,000rpm before it starts really kicking, so that take off comparison was no surprises, to me anyway.

Great duel and comparo, hopefully we see alot more of the same :)

Red AH SRI T
7th October 2008, 08:55 AM
i agree. MUCH better this week.

bornwild
7th October 2008, 09:01 AM
I liked it more this week but mannn these guys don't know how to review a car for shit...They should have gotten a car enthusiast, who has watched every single Fifth Gear and Top Gear episode AND knows how to handle a car to run that show.

Also, the cinematographer of this Top Gear is pathetic...where are the exciting shots?? SOUND?? where's the sound engineering(while they're in the car you can't hear a word they're saying!)??? It's like a bunch of amateurs are working behind the scenes.

BUT, it has a good overall program...I like that old dude, he seems to be the most relaxed out of those three

Hackstra
7th October 2008, 09:11 AM
ahhhhh fk! i missed it!
grrr @ the missus and her pansy drama shows!

download it, www.mininova.org (http://www.mininova.org)

digifish
7th October 2008, 01:51 PM
The problem I see here is they are not providing any detail on the cars they are reviewing. They are missing the point, which is surprising :(

For example, the smart hearse they should have worked the product details into the story, excuses to talk about fuel economy, handling, acceleration, engines, features etc.

With the Haul pack episode why they didn't crush something under the wheels of one is beyond me, the proton use (too expansive), a wreck (mine wouldn't allow it?)...at least show us the pre-crushed car on display at the mine :(

They should have compared the haul pack to one of the utes there...just missing the point!!

There is also so much dust on their runway you can't see the cars :(

digifish

Shaun
7th October 2008, 04:38 PM
I liked it more this week but mannn these guys don't know how to review a car for shit...They should have gotten a car enthusiast, who has watched every single Fifth Gear and Top Gear episode AND knows how to handle a car to run that show.

Also, the cinematographer of this Top Gear is pathetic...where are the exciting shots?? SOUND?? where's the sound engineering(while they're in the car you can't hear a word they're saying!)??? It's like a bunch of amateurs are working behind the scenes.

BUT, it has a good overall program...I like that old dude, he seems to be the most relaxed out of those three

And like you can do a better Job then them put together???
They are out there having a go. Your a keyboard warrior when it comes down to it. Footage ive seen is close to what Top Gear UK have been producing.

Vectracious
7th October 2008, 04:50 PM
They are out there having a go. Your a keyboard warrior when it comes down to it. Footage ive seen is close to what Top Gear UK have been producing.

Damn - I was begging to forget what it was like having a Shaun/bornwild shit fight going on the forums... thanks for reminding me Shaun......

iNiff
7th October 2008, 05:40 PM

yeah i thought the cinematography was fairly good on this weeks show. high contrast and rapid angle changes... i almost forgot it was the aussie version a few times.

ASTRAY
7th October 2008, 05:47 PM
i think, taking into account the views they choose to show etc, that its the same camera crew from uk.
i just watched last nights ep, i think it was great, esp the ute challenge, very funny.
ford/holden debate, i think they shy'ed away from making a real conclusion, if they say ford then holden watchers may stop watching, if they say holden then ford watchers may stop watching.
they made a good point though, the ford is only at its best when over the speed limit.

Shaun
7th October 2008, 06:36 PM
Damn - I was begging to forget what it was like having a Shaun/bornwild shit fight going on the forums... thanks for reminding me Shaun......

No probs . Im only saying what everyone else hasn't got the balls to say :)

Shaun
7th October 2008, 06:39 PM
i think, taking into account the views they choose to show etc, that its the same camera crew from uk.
i just watched last nights ep, i think it was great, esp the ute challenge, very funny.
ford/holden debate, i think they shy'ed away from making a real conclusion, if they say ford then holden watchers may stop watching, if they say holden then ford watchers may stop watching.
they made a good point though, the ford is only at its best when over the speed limit.

I heard to day rating are down. Not what they expected. But then again its on in a Hard Time slot . (Up against Idol) Its on a non commerical network as well which makes the challange harder to get the viewing public.

Hats off to SBS for trying . Its only the second week . Wait for the 1st season to air in full then make a judgement. They would have learnt alot as they have produced this series. Top Gear UK has built it self to what it is today. Its taken years for it to get to the level its at .

Shaun

bornwild
7th October 2008, 07:06 PM

It's called constructive feedback. Stop quoting me...

oneightoo
7th October 2008, 07:28 PM

i totally 100% disagree with you..

the guys gave great reviews, especially in the holden v ford segment.. they were informative and funny.. loved the part at the end of that segment were they spoke about which bits should go on which car to make a better one..

they both were able powerslide around corners confidently (especially the young bloke), they took on track fine, not sure why you thinik they cant drive..

there might be a problem with your tv if you couldnt hear them properly, it sounded great to me.. i understood every word they said..

my best guess is they have seen a LOT of top gear, which would probably be the reason why they applied for top gear australia in the first place!

anyway...

the 2nd ep was 10 times better than the first, loved it.. the old guy, i think, needs to tone himself down a bit, he always sounds like he's yelling in the studio..

other than that, a top effort, and im looking forward to next weeks show..

lampshade
7th October 2008, 08:58 PM
The problem I see here is they are not providing any detail on the cars they are reviewing. They are missing the point, which is surprising :(

For example, the smart hearse they should have worked the product details into the story, excuses to talk about fuel economy, handling, acceleration, engines, features etc.

There is also so much dust on their runway you can't see the cars :(

digifish

Just post for me in future m8 cos' your spot on:clap:

Too much messing around and not enuff info, it's like they have thought "oh ppl like to see TG blow up caravans and shit like that so 75% of our show will be mucking around"
Still it's early days still and I hope it is given the time to develope in it's own way

tfbf
7th October 2008, 09:26 PM
Too early....

Very hard to judge after 2 episodes against TGUK.. I grew up with this show (as you did too I'm sure lampshade!) and love it even though they love to bag out Vauxhall..

It was jeremy clarksons slating of the Astra VXR that made me want one...its the balance of comedy and biased reviews of cars that just works with TGUK because they are funny and yet somehow let you make up your own mind with the info given...

i reserve judgement with the Aussie version for a few more episodes...so far not enough info or comedy..but again - its going to have a harsh audience.

I agree with one of you back there - the illustrator guy is the most convincing (james may equivilent) or has the most screen presence - the main guy is trying too hard..

again early days - shouldn't judge it yet. big shoes to fill.

Brucey
7th October 2008, 09:39 PM
Bornwild: AND knows how to handle a car to run that show. Read this:
http://news.sbs.com.au/worldnewsaustralia/charlie_cox__top_gear_austhost_547978 (http://news.sbs.com.au/worldnewsaustralia/charlie_cox__top_gear_australia_host_547978)

and this
http://news.sbs.com.au/worldnewsaustralia/steve_pizzati__top_gear_australia_host_547980

Also some more information i found that might help explain the show a bit better

"Producers claim that the Australian Top Gear will have a distinctly Australian feel, but will still be based on the popular UK version of the show."

Production
Mirroring the UK series, the studio segments were recorded at Bankstown Airport (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bankstown_Airport) in Sydney (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney). An exact copy of the UK studio at Dunsfold Park (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunsfold#Dunsfold_Park) was constructed in a hangar. The power laps and "Star in a Bog Standard Car" were recorded at Camden Airport (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camden_Airport) with parts of the runways and taxiways used as a test track.
Top Gear Australia uses the same theme music as the UK series, a version of the The Allman Brothers Band (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Allman_Brothers_Band)'s "Jessica (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessica_%28The_Allman_Brothers_Band_song%29)".

Segments
Top Gear Australia will feature segments that mirror those seen on the BBC series, including build challenges and test drives. A significant difference is that speeds and power are quoted in metric units and prices are quoted in Australian dollars.

Snotty
8th October 2008, 11:43 AM
i didnt even think of top gear until this morning when i read about the ratings being down.
watching a dumb cnt get run over by his stolen car that he jumped out of while it was still moving on the force was better to watch and watching idol during the ads.
topgear never crossed my mind

bornwild
8th October 2008, 02:18 PM
My point was it should have all those combined...not just be a good driver. :)

glider
9th October 2008, 03:59 PM
i manged to get the laptop digital tuner to find sbs while we were camping... gotta say I was satisfied with the episode, several times I felt as if i was actually watching the UK version...

I'm happy to watch it week to week, there are a few things that need working on... (I do have one sneaking suspicion, the cartoonist will be replaced in one of the following seasons, the cartoons really aren't working for me)

poita
9th October 2008, 04:25 PM
kinda tryin to do the mythbusters thing with the cartoons/drawings

Shaun
11th October 2008, 09:21 AM
It's called constructive feedback. Stop quoting me...

If its constructive feed back then how about writing to Top Gear C/-SBS and sending you " constructive Feedback" to the network rather then jumping on a forum and doing it here.

At Least SBS are out there having a good crack at making the program. Which is more then i can say for yourself and others here that are putting them down.

Ohh PS: I qoute you when you need to be corrected. ;)

Red AH SRI T
11th October 2008, 07:13 PM
*shakes head*

bornwild
11th October 2008, 07:34 PM
If its constructive feed back then how about writing to Top Gear C/-SBS and sending you " constructive Feedback" to the network rather then jumping on a forum and doing it here.

At Least SBS are out there having a good crack at making the program. Which is more then i can say for yourself and others here that are putting them down.

Ohh PS: I qoute you when you need to be corrected. ;)

You ****ing moron.

This is a thread about the show. The author of the thread asked about our opinions and I gave it.

ps. You ****ing idiot.

pps. I still love you

Shaun
11th October 2008, 11:45 PM
You ****ing moron.

This is a thread about the show. The author of the thread asked about our opinions and I gave it.

ps. You ****ing idiot.

pps. I still love you
Directed To Bornsoft:
My comments were in line with the show and the thread. If you wish to give feed back send it to SBS. Are you scared they too will put you in your place .........???? You totally amaze me . Your knowledge is so vast and you completely amaze me with your comments. You sit there and say you can do a better job then the 3 host of TGA. This be the case then get cracking pitch your show and pilot to a network. Lets get you on TV.

Directed too all ;):
You seem to be giving feedback here . Dont hide behind an internet Name and forum. Send your comments in writing direct to the SBS or im sure if you look on drive.com there is a "blog" that you could place comments on. . If you want it to change then send them what you think. Posting it here isnt going to tell SBS what you really think is it......
Posting here wont change much thats for sure. Series one will be close to if not finished filming you will find. But im sure they will be looking for feedback from the viewing public. SBS have made quite a substancal insvestment to TGA. And they arent going to sit arround waiting for it to fail and waste there time . And as if the BBC will want it to fall over.

Ohh i kept it in line with The tread. Thats my thoughts on the comments and the show.

Brucey
11th October 2008, 11:46 PM
Below is a message sent my a member off a different forum.
SBS/Top Gears response is just below his email.

I sent this email the other day:

Hi im a long time fan of Top Gear UK, and i was quite excited about the idea of Top Gear Aus. But im sadly writing you this email to tell you that this Top Gear Australia is terrible, the actual show is great and the ideas are fantastic, the massive problem that myself, family and friends are trying to over come is the presenters. The issue i and alot of people have is the fact they are trying to be our favourite 'orginal' Top Gear presenters. As well as having a smug attiude when comparing themselves to the public including the Australian racing community, and when i mention that i relate to the comment made about the Australian Drift Series and also the Valiant E38 (which mind you is now a $600,000 collector car now). Id like to see this show stick around but when watching it all i can think about is the UK Top Gear guys cringening when seeing some "convicts" (as Clarkson would say) trying to fill their personailty. Thank You for your timeBeauman JonesThe Factory - Building Cars for Speed!

I got this reply back:

Thankyou for your email regarding Top Gear Australia, we have passed your comments on to the programming department for their consideration. For your interest, a new 6-part BBC series of Top Gear will begin at 7.30pm on Monday the 24th November. Regards

Taffy
12th October 2008, 10:09 AM
I sent SBS a link to this thread and also sent them some positive comments but got no reply. So maybe they have already read all of this.

ASTRAY
12th October 2008, 12:47 PM
im sure there will be at least one sbs employee scanning the net for peoples opinions.
and id also say that when someone sends a link to a forum topic, the receiver, or relevant employee of sbs would check out comments and perhaps even carry out follow up checks to see how things are going.
the problem with polls, feedback forums etc is that the majority of respondents will always be for complaints.
those who are happy see no need to bother responding, as far as they know things will remain the same.

ps, yes i know currently the poll for this topic is in favour, there are always exceptions.
maybe its just that the people of this forum are very eager to see topgear aus succeed.

sooty
14th October 2008, 10:04 PM
This weeks ep wasn't too bad either. Sometimes it just seems a little annoying, but on the most part it's good to watch

digifish
14th October 2008, 10:09 PM
This weeks ep wasn't too bad either. Sometimes it just seems a little annoying, but on the most part it's good to watch

Yes I agree, this weeks was OK. Here's hoping for a better future...

digifish

chrissn89
14th October 2008, 10:28 PM
This monday coming it looks like theyre doing somthing with Astra Ah's, and crashing them into each other. Weird. The last two eps have been good ;)

nadg63
14th October 2008, 10:29 PM
Yes I agree, this weeks was OK. Here's hoping for a better future...

digifish

Looks like next week they are 'bashing up' Astras!? (in the next episode preview it looked like they were playing 'car football' or similiar!)

dieselhead
14th October 2008, 10:39 PM
Oh yeah, Astra football! Bring it on!

digifish
14th October 2008, 10:47 PM
Oh yeah, Astra football! Bring it on!

It's on the front page video...lawn-bowls...

http://www.sbs.com.au/topgearaustralia/

http://www.sbs.com.au/topgearaustralia/web/upload_media/site_35_rand_1257669186_topgear_guide.jpg

Red AH SRI T
14th October 2008, 11:15 PM
this week was very good i though.

The paddock bashing was hilarious!!!

Wraith
15th October 2008, 09:03 AM
3 episodes down and I'm still liking it :)

Great to see lots of car and Aust. related content and only a little nonsense...hopefully they keep it up and not turn it into a Benny Hill or 3 stooges show like the Pommy version, I'll be happy and keep watching :)

sooty
15th October 2008, 11:58 AM
Just one thing....since when was it "Mer-SEE-dees"
Makes them sound uneducated:rolleyes:

Jerram
15th October 2008, 12:06 PM
I must it admit that they use some cringe worthy euphanisms.
"Enough Squirt to Rip a Dog off a chain?"

I dunno if that's a southerners kind of thing to say but I've never heard that up here in Qld. It almosts seems like they're trying too hard to be Australian. I'm waiting for them to say "Aw! This wun 'ere il roast a fiew shrimps on the baarbie!!"

Wraith
15th October 2008, 12:07 PM
Just one thing....since when was it "Mer-SEE-dees"
Makes them sound uneducated:rolleyes:

Oh well foreign makes/words in english will be said with their own individual 'twang' by whoever it is saying it :)

It's like when Porsche is actually pronounced the correct way, which is to say 'Porshia' but it sounds really weird pronounced that way by some people :)

I've even heard some people say 'Odi' instead of Audi and 'Nissaaaaaaan' instead of Nissan etc. LOL...

sooty
15th October 2008, 12:39 PM
Oh well foreign makes/words in english will be said with their own individual 'twang' by whoever it is saying it :)

It's like when Porsche is actually pronounced the correct way, which is to say 'Porshia' but it sounds really weird pronounced that way by some people :)

I've even heard some people say 'Odi' instead of Audi and 'Nissaaaaaaan' instead of Nissan etc. LOL...

NZ'ers say subaru, su-baaaa-ru....oh the irony of sheep lol.
The other thing that was sorta funny, but not, was the whole "pooftienth" thing...

poita
15th October 2008, 01:01 PM
yes the pooftienth thing cracked me up

Vectracious
15th October 2008, 01:04 PM
Havent watched it for 2 weeks now....

waiting for UK version to come back on.

Just reading finalgear.com - looks like there is rumours of a russian version following on from US and Oz versions.

I wonder if brand dilution can affect a television show....

Huhness
15th October 2008, 01:23 PM
i haven't watched an episode since the first. None of my friends have or anyone at work. Wonder if there are many people still watching?:confused:

Border Security is just too good to miss i guess.

Vectracious
15th October 2008, 01:53 PM
Admittedly, I havent watched it not because I've just refused, just that I've had something on both monday nights - but couldn't be arsed setting the video to tape it either... or waste my bandwidth downloading it..

Wraith
15th October 2008, 02:15 PM
i haven't watched an episode since the first. None of my friends have or anyone at work. Wonder if there are many people still watching?:confused:

Border Security is just too good to miss i guess.

Are you kidding - majority of us here seem to be watching, so too are the majority of people at my work and except for a few of us, they're not even car enthusiasts :)

Ratings were almost 1.0m people 1st episode down to 600k+ 2nd, still don't know the 3rd episode ratings, and the 2nd didn't score well, but it seems there are hundreds of thousands around the Country watching, so definitely lots still watching :)

Don't deprive yourself, it ain't that bad.....yet :D

ASTRAY
15th October 2008, 04:23 PM
i seen the preveiw of next weeks ep and screamed NOOOOOO!
how could they deliberatley smash an astra?

bornwild
15th October 2008, 06:10 PM
I haven't watched this weeks ep. Couldn't be bothered.

As for the pronounciations, Porsche is pronounced "porsh"...no iA at the end(that's just gay).

Mercedes = mersaedees
BMW = Bayrishe Motorenwerke
Nissan = Datsun
Renault = Tincan
Holden = Bogan
Ford = What
etc..

Wraith
15th October 2008, 09:59 PM
I haven't watched this weeks ep. Couldn't be bothered.

As for the pronounciations, Porsche is pronounced "porsh"...no iA at the end(that's just gay).

Are you sure ??? you'd better check up on that one before making any bets LOL...

I remember a radio call in around 20 years ago on this question - anyway the result was around 60% general public and Porker owners saying "Porsh" and the rest (minority) saying "Porshia"...

It was then settled by several Porker dealer reps/managers calling in and stating it's pronounced "Porshia" one of them apparently rang Germany to confirm this ;)

I've even heard it called that way on those weekend car racing events full of 911's...

Either way who cares ??? LOL you say Holden = bogan, well lately the way Porsche has been carrying on and conducting itself you could also say Porsche = cry babies/sore losers :D

bornwild
15th October 2008, 10:01 PM
Well, the closest to the original German pronounciation you'll get is Porsh...if you want the original German pronounciation it is Porsche(with an "e" at the end...same kind of "e" as when you say the word "net" just dragged out longer...it's not an iA)

And yeah I lived in Berlin 5yrs :p

bornwild
15th October 2008, 10:03 PM
Well you know, in my country we say "don't trust a person with small eyes" And the Japs have freakin small eyes!! :p

Disclaimer: not being racist...honest!!

Wraith
15th October 2008, 10:15 PM
Well, the closest to the original German pronounciation you'll get is Porsh...if you want the original German pronounciation it is Porsche(with an "e" at the end...same kind of "e" as when you say the word "net" just dragged out longer...it's not an iA)

And yeah I lived in Berlin 5yrs :p

LOL I know you've spent time in 'zee fadur lanz' :D but the rest of the World say "Porshia" except the French :D

Wraith
15th October 2008, 10:15 PM
Well you know, in my country we say "don't trust a person with small eyes" And the Japs have freakin small eyes!! :p

Disclaimer: not being racist...honest!!

Does that include people squinting ?? :D :p

bornwild
15th October 2008, 10:17 PM
lol reminds me of the Two and a Half Men episode the other day when Charlies brother bought a Boxter and kept on correcting Charlie that it's pronounced Porsh-A lol

Funny stuff that is....

Who likes Boobies....CHARLIE WAFFLES HAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHA :D Oh dear

Wraith
15th October 2008, 10:26 PM
lol reminds me of the Two and a Half Men episode the other day when Charlies brother bought a Boxter and kept on correcting Charlie that it's pronounced Porsh-A lol

Funny stuff that is....

Who likes Boobies....CHARLIE WAFFLES HAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHA :D Oh dear

There you go see, even the yanks say it that way...

Like said, who cares, some Porsche executive probably made it up along the way to make the brand sound more posh or something...

Damn just realised the time - last post for me, got some other work to do, then I've gotta get some sleep...goodnight all :)

bornwild
15th October 2008, 10:30 PM
I wonder how the yanks pronounce "recession"?

:D

UnKnOwN
16th October 2008, 03:49 AM
i reckon they should put top gear australia and the "what were they thinking?" wall on that wall itself..... hate the show, top gear UK was good to watch for the comedy factor, if i wanted proper reviews i'd watch 5th gear but this show is neither funny nor informative....

but as always, each to their own

glider
16th October 2008, 06:54 AM
I wonder how the yanks pronounce "recession"?

:D

re-sesh-shaun

oneightoo
16th October 2008, 07:57 AM
what does pronounciation have to do with the episode??

farrrrrrk..

Wraith
16th October 2008, 08:42 AM
what does pronounciation have to do with the episode??

farrrrrrk..

Someone brought up how one of the presentors pronounced Mercedes in a funny way - the rest of the jargon above stemmed from that - and as you know as so often happens, the off topic tangent begins LOL :D

Go back a few pages in the thread and you'll see how it all unfolded, or maybe not - who cares hey :)

SSS_Hoon
16th October 2008, 08:46 AM
i am still liking it i think, you just have to not think about the UK version while watching it, and i think you will enjoy it also.

SSS_Hoon

Wraith
16th October 2008, 09:07 AM
i am still liking it i think, you just have to not think about the UK version while watching it, and i think you will enjoy it also.

SSS_Hoon

+ 1 agree...

All the Pommy show fans need to do is go back and have a look at the 1st 3 episodes of the U.K show and compare what it was like in its infancy - IMHO at that stage, Top Gear U.K was totally pathetic !

Hell even on this forum for ages alot of people have knocked Top Gear and especially Clarkson, now all of a sudden it's heaps better than our own version ??? c'mon :rolleyes:

Give it time, even a few seasons and see how it developes...

At least our show has Aussie related content and tailored for Australians !

Who the hell here wants to know or gives a rats arse what's going on in the U.K S/H car market and all the other U.K related crap they have on that show !!! ;)

oneightoo
16th October 2008, 09:20 AM
Someone brought up how one of the presentors pronounced Mercedes in a funny way - the rest of the jargon above stemmed from that - and as you know as so often happens, the off topic tangent begins LOL :D

Go back a few pages in the thread and you'll see how it all unfolded, or maybe not - who cares hey :)

yeah i read all that, but yeah, who cares..

so we say shit differently to germans, whoopee doo..

its just nitpicking for the sake of arguing against the show..

bornwild
16th October 2008, 12:25 PM
re-sesh-shaun

hahahahahahahhahahaha :D

noiceee:dance:

poita
16th October 2008, 01:47 PM
back on topic pls guys

bornwild
20th October 2008, 08:27 PM
****ing idiots.

They destroyed the Astras for nothing. It wasn't entertaining in any way, form or shape.

Far out. And did you see the TRD Hilux stint...they said absolutely nothing about the car except "it has 300 horses under the hood".

I'm sorry but they suck big time. Even the 'car show' is better than this.

sooty
20th October 2008, 08:28 PM
Not only did they smash up perfectly good astras that i could steal parts from, BUT, they spilled what i thought was wrong information, sitting in the new 1.8 SRi they said sports tightened the suspension. I thought IDS+ was only in the turbo and VXR...:confused:
This show, was not a good one...

bornwild
20th October 2008, 08:30 PM
Yeah exactly..the sports button is the equivalent of overdrive unless you have the IDS+.

poita
20th October 2008, 08:33 PM
shhh i havent seen it yet

sooty
20th October 2008, 08:38 PM
shhh i havent seen it yet
Don't have your hopes too high, worst episode of the bunch so far

ASTRAY
20th October 2008, 08:38 PM
i found parts funny, even in the astra segment, but i agree about the smashing the astras. i couldnt beleive it when i spotted the convertibles! :eek:
but then again, all they will have to do is replace a few bumpers, perhaps a rear light on the last vert, a few guards and doors and the cars will be as good as new again and sold off to the public, possibly used as test drive cars...
my advice, dont buy a astra from paul wakeling holden in campbelltown for a while lol. but considering the show was shot a while ago, id say theyve been sold by now.

SIMid
20th October 2008, 08:40 PM
The poms would of used old cars for the lawn bowl stunt. Never saw them use new cars and wreck them like that.

I cringed a little watching the front bars flex off everytime they smacked the bottom of the ramps.

Glad no turbos got harmed in the making. Phew!!

ASTRAY
20th October 2008, 08:40 PM
Don't have your hopes too high, worst episode of the bunch so far
i agree, worst of the bunch, but i dont feel i wasted my 1hr watching it, i think the guys have settled into their roles and are doing a good job.
uk top gear have had much much worse eps.

ASTRAY
20th October 2008, 08:45 PM
while saying that taking a look in a lawnbowls carpark youd see a bunch of antique cars.... there was a ts there!
antique? i think not!
though i suppose the ts first came out 10yrs ago. still not antique though.
in saying that astras are lawnbowlers cars,,,, are they calling astra drivers pansies? or of the like?

i think there would be alot more people out there upset about the limited edition w427 being thrashed than the astras copping a few dings.

xplosv57
20th October 2008, 08:49 PM
The poms would of used old cars for the lawn bowl stunt. Never saw them use new cars and wreck them like that.

They did use Yaris' for soccer and Swift's for ice hockey, all brand new cars!!

I thought it was hilarious them using Astra's, mostly cos i knew most of you'se would get upset!!!

Was a funny-ish episode but still too many gaps and not even close to the UK version!!

GreyRex
20th October 2008, 08:53 PM

I thought it was hilarious them using Astra's, mostly cos i knew most of you'se would get upset!!!

Was a funny-ish episode but still too many gaps and not even close to the UK version!!

Oh my god you people whinge!!

I'm right there with you Steve

Who supplied the cars? Holden

Who wanted publicity? Holden

Was anything bad said about the cars? Hardly

Thought it was an ok episode... and i'm feeling a little more comfortable watching them now

It's not perfect but i must be the only one who doesn't care!!

Theo
20th October 2008, 08:55 PM
At least there are some cheap Astra's for sale.

bornwild
20th October 2008, 08:58 PM
Dude that's not the point. That was no publicity for the car whatsoever. Wasn't even entertaining.

And they said shit all about any of the cars. Really disappointed.

xplosv57
20th October 2008, 09:01 PM

Nope i didn't care much either, surely Holden would have supplied the cars knowing they'd get damaged and they would have been excess stock of the SRi's and Twip Top's, it's not like they're selling big anyways they would have quite a few spares!!

I think i'd be a little upset if they'd used a Turbo or VXR, but still would have laughed!!!

nadg63
20th October 2008, 09:10 PM
At the end of the day it was only Astras getting bent, could understand people getting upset if they'd used decent/classy cars: in Europe Astras are nothing special, just motorized shopping trollies - shouldn't be rated any higher here neither!

sooty
20th October 2008, 09:13 PM
i just wanted the parts off them :D
Laughed when you smashed your car up steve? ;):p

Vectracious
20th October 2008, 09:14 PM
Oh my god you people whinge!!

LOL

+1 Ben :D

It's a car, it'll get fixed - who cares!!!

(Didnt watch the episode - wonder if the top gear eps are on youtube)

xplosv57
20th October 2008, 09:15 PM
i just wanted the parts off them :D
Laughed when you smashed your car up steve? ;):p

When you own the car i think it's a little different than when a car company supplies you with cars to do silly things in and damage them!!!

sooty
20th October 2008, 09:26 PM
When you own the car i think it's a little different than when a car company supplies you with cars to do silly things in and damage them!!!

of course, was shattered when i heard the news mate.
But yeah, aside from the astras, just the rest of the ep wasn't funny anyway, the challenge was boring as hell, the w427 was mildly interesting about the aerial at 245km/h lol. and it's that memorable i can't even think of anything else.
I only mentioned the astras more for them mis-stating facts about the car more than anything, if they get something about an astra wrong, (an entry level car in terms of things) then what are they getting wrong about supercars?:confused:

Jerram
20th October 2008, 09:47 PM
To be honest I think the Astra lawn bowls was by far the best segment of the series so far. It made me laugh because I wanted to, and not half laugh or cringe in a spot where the producers thought might be funny - I mean come on - There's plenty more Astras where they came from and a broken front bumper is like 1k at most to replace?

Favorite spot was where Warren rolled his 2nd Astra over the top of the ball - you see it stop, you hear silence, then you here it burst - classic.

Also I found it entertaining because I knew I'd come on here and get to read the bitching of all the butthurt Astra owners. AFTER years of the Vectra getting payed out on Top Gear UK WE VECCY OWNERS finally GET SOMETHING BACK YEW YEW!

Best episode for me so far - though Jack Thompson or whatever his name was may've been a bit boring. Also liked script filling the bush sequence, wondering when the aboriginal tracker was going to ask for a VB.

poita
20th October 2008, 10:40 PM
yer i didnt mind it.
thought the lawn bowls was piss funny.
and lol to the 'im so upset they used astras' people.
holden got a good plug out of it, and they didnt bag teh astra, something new for top gear

ASTRAY
21st October 2008, 12:03 AM
Favorite spot was where Warren rolled his 2nd Astra over the top of the ball - you see it stop, you hear silence, then you here it burst - classic.

+1, both me and my missus had a giggle at that. i expected it to pop earlier.

yer i didnt mind it.
thought the lawn bowls was piss funny.
and lol to the 'im so upset they used astras' people.
holden got a good plug out of it, and they didnt bag teh astra, something new for top gear

just to use you as an example :p, if it was a cali i could almost be certain youd at least speculate that you could have used "x" part instead of it being wasted.
also i agree, holden got a really good plug out of topgear tonight,
#1, they got mention of the w427 being the most powerful car made in australia, and,
#2, nearly everything said about the astra was in its favour.
at least holden got in first before ford.

EL BURITO
21st October 2008, 12:58 AM
any one notice he was reviewing a a 1.8 in what he was saying while driving a 2.2 sri

bornwild
21st October 2008, 01:41 AM
it actually is a 1.8 SRi nowadays :p

Red AH SRI T
21st October 2008, 07:51 AM
any one notice he was reviewing a a 1.8 in what he was saying while driving a 2.2 sri

He actually stated, whilst driving the car, that the engine was a 1.8

oneightoo
21st October 2008, 07:56 AM
Dude that's not the point. That was no publicity for the car whatsoever. Wasn't even entertaining.

And they said shit all about any of the cars. Really disappointed.

lol, i came in to work this morning ready for this thread.. and on the train on the way in i thought to myself "geee i wonder what bornwild will have to say about last nights episode".. and to be honest i was really looking forward to reading what you had to say..

but you've dissapointed me..

out of all the things to complain about you chose this..

was it not entertaining when jeremy shot old cars out of a cannon just to see how far they'd go? or when james may played conkers with caravans? those segments never had any reviews or publicity, they were just a bit of fun, as was this..

so next week, just sit back in your comfy chair and chill out and just enjoy the show for what it is, just a bit of fun..

oneightoo
21st October 2008, 07:58 AM

I cringed a little watching the front bars flex off everytime they smacked the bottom of the ramps.

Glad no turbos got harmed in the making. Phew!!

what about when they played ice hockey with yaris' and echo's?

or when they played soccer with the echo and something else?

all brand new, all got totalled..

oneightoo
21st October 2008, 08:00 AM

yeah what eh said haha :p

SIMid
21st October 2008, 08:22 AM
what about when they played ice hockey with yaris' and echo's?

or when they played soccer with the echo and something else?

all brand new, all got totalled..

Forgot about those, but they're shit so they dont count. :D

oneightoo
21st October 2008, 08:44 AM
Forgot about those, but they're shit so they dont count. :D

BWAHAHAHA touche :D

bornwild
21st October 2008, 09:31 AM
lol, i came in to work this morning ready for this thread.. and on the train on the way in i thought to myself "geee i wonder what bornwild will have to say about last nights episode".. and to be honest i was really looking forward to reading what you had to say..

but you've dissapointed me..

out of all the things to complain about you chose this..

was it not entertaining when jeremy shot old cars out of a cannon just to see how far they'd go? or when james may played conkers with caravans? those segments never had any reviews or publicity, they were just a bit of fun, as was this..

so next week, just sit back in your comfy chair and chill out and just enjoy the show for what it is, just a bit of fun..

Look, if they had balanced all their 'play' with some decent reviews about how the cars handle and whether they're worth purchasing...then yes, fair enough

poita
21st October 2008, 09:40 AM
just to use you as an example :p, if it was a cali i could almost be certain youd at least speculate that you could have used "x" part instead of it being wasted.
also i agree, holden got a really good plug out of topgear tonight,
#1, they got mention of the w427 being the most powerful car made in australia, and,
#2, nearly everything said about the astra was in its favour.
at least holden got in first before ford.

good luck to them finding 6 working callys outside the club lol
and i was expecting that, yes i would of cringed, but i wouldnt of had a cry about it. they are a shit load rarer than an astradore, thats wat would of annoyed me more ;)

oneightoo
21st October 2008, 09:55 AM
good luck to them finding 6 working callys outside the club lol
and i was expecting that, yes i would of cringed, but i wouldnt of had a cry about it. they are a shit load rarer than an astradore, thats wat would of annoyed me more ;)

and after having previously owned 2 of both, i can safely say, the calibra's are a hell of a lot cooler too hehe :p

oneightoo
21st October 2008, 09:55 AM
Look, if they had balanced all their 'play' with some decent reviews about how the cars handle and whether they're worth purchasing...then yes, fair enough

waa waa waa waa

maybe you should just stop watching the show??

SSS_Hoon
21st October 2008, 09:57 AM
LoL.

thought the show was good and its getting better actually.

IF they stop watching the show then what will they have to bitch n whinge about then.

SSS_Hoon

poita
21st October 2008, 09:58 AM
he will find something mate, dont worry

SSS_Hoon
21st October 2008, 10:00 AM
he will find something mate, dont worry

i sure hope so. :clap:

SSS_Hoon

Vectracious
21st October 2008, 10:02 AM
Also I found it entertaining because I knew I'd come on here and get to read the bitching of all the butthurt Astra owners.

TopGear OZ just did it for the lulz :p

(have been reading waaaay too much ED lately ;) )

SSS_Hoon
21st October 2008, 10:07 AM
the best comment was that the astra is the new lawn bowls car.... worse then a hairdressers car that is for sure....

SSS_Hoon

poita
21st October 2008, 10:10 AM
free knitted vest with every one ;)

Vectracious
21st October 2008, 10:13 AM
the best comment was that the astra is the new lawn bowls car.... worse then a hairdressers car that is for sure....

SSS_Hoon

free knitted vest with every one ;)

and box of tissues and straw hat permanently fixed to the rear parcel shelf.

SSS_Hoon
21st October 2008, 10:20 AM
the rear window venitian is the option.

and the woolen dashmat in bright vibrant colours to keep them awake while driving.

SSS_Hoon

Vectracious
21st October 2008, 10:24 AM
the rear window venitian is the option.

but they're cool - all the fully sik habibs have them on their fake VL Calais'.......

SSS_Hoon
21st October 2008, 10:31 AM
yeah true my dad has one in his old daily (till my brother blew it up) Hillman Hunter GT. I want him to get it going again and put a SR20DET in it but he wont.

I already asked him if i could have it and do it, to which he said no grrr.

I thought that one of the astrs used was a SRiT?

SSS_Hoon

Huhness
21st October 2008, 10:35 AM
bunch of whingers the lot of you! :D

SSS_Hoon
21st October 2008, 10:39 AM
bunch of whingers the lot of you! :D

:lame: :D

SSS_Hoon

Huhness
21st October 2008, 10:40 AM
:lame: :D

SSS_Hoon
:lamor:

Jerram
21st October 2008, 01:25 PM
TopGear OZ just did it for the lulz :p

(have been reading waaaay too much ED lately ;) )

Well I stopped last thursday; I'd spent over 9000 hours on it and was about to become an hero.

Vectracious
21st October 2008, 01:26 PM
My God you are all such a bunch of girls - just watched the lawn bowls thing on the Youtube expecting TG UK Toyota Aygo Soccer match carnage.......... how limp wristed - oooh some bumper clips broke..... :rolleyes:

(dont have sound at work so didnt hear anything that was said though)

sooty
21st October 2008, 01:53 PM
Toyota Aygo soccer match took skilled drivers, and was funny to watch as they were all pulling j-turns and the equivilant of slide tackling eachother in cars.
Why, out of all sports, would you pick lawn bowls to emulate, not like it's exactly good to watch to begin with. It doesn't matter what the car was, it was still crap. Perhaps if they'd done it in reverse on a wet skid pan, then it would have been better, i mean something that actually took skill and cause some real damage. If you're gonna smash cars up, do it properly!!!
And you didn't miss anything without sound Pete :)

Vectracious
21st October 2008, 01:55 PM
And you didn't miss anything without sound Pete :)

Good, saves me watching it again when I get home

ASTRAY
21st October 2008, 04:47 PM
lol, im not crying pete, i dont even have an ah, would have prefered to watch them go demo derby in some focus's :D
just think its a waste, thats all.

glider
27th October 2008, 09:37 PM
I thought tonight was a good episode, how about you?

ASTRAY
27th October 2008, 09:40 PM
fk, missed it again, and here i was reminding the guys at work today that it was on tonight!
grrrr @ myself! :mad:

oneightoo
28th October 2008, 07:59 AM
dont worry, bornwild will be here shortly to give his insightful views on the show..

i only caight the last half of it.. the car-boat was funny.. shame they didnt try it in rougher sea's, like bass straight haha..

best 2nd half of an episode yet :D

Vectracious
28th October 2008, 08:24 AM
i only caight the last half of it.. the car-boat was funny.. shame they didnt try it in rougher sea's, like bass straight haha..

Car-boat? Hmmm - where have I seen that before..... :rolleyes:

SSS_Hoon
28th October 2008, 08:30 AM
i liked it, its deff getting better that is for sure.

I will continue to watch it and can enjoy it for what it is.

Car-boat? Hmmm - where have I seen that before..... :rolleyes:

ORLY?

WIth TG UK been on for 11 seasons in its current form its going to be hard to come up with original ideas and things to do, that has not already been done. All they can do is change it which they did and it was good. When they said the audi on the water i though oh no what are they doing to that R8 as that would of been better LoL.

SSS_Hoon

Vectracious
28th October 2008, 08:39 AM
ORLY?

YA RLY

If they're going to copy concepts out of the TG UK show, why not do the "car" vs "public transport" races - eg Melb/Syd/Brisbane to Darwin/Perth - at least that way they can do a segment that can span over the show or even two shows + show off Australia a bit as well.

SSS_Hoon
28th October 2008, 08:43 AM
yeah true, although i guess they are looking at it like, lets copy the cheaper ones at the moment incase this show flops and we wont of lost too much cash.

Has anyone logged on to the website to have a look at the track layout yet?

SSS_Hoon

Wraith
28th October 2008, 08:46 AM
Episode 4 - loved it... :)

I'm still enjoying Top Gear Aust. hope they keep up the good job :)

oneightoo
28th October 2008, 08:56 AM
YA RLY

If they're going to copy concepts out of the TG UK show, why not do the "car" vs "public transport" races - eg Melb/Syd/Brisbane to Darwin/Perth - at least that way they can do a segment that can span over the show or even two shows + show off Australia a bit as well.

umm thats next weeks show.. a race around australia..

sooty
28th October 2008, 12:51 PM
I didn't like it, but will continue to watch it.
Why do, when they're driving a hi-po car, it just ends up as donuts...:confused: in th UK they show off the power by drifting, in Aus we just show it by donuts apparently, just gets a little boring and repetative.
Thought the review of the 135i was good though, until they called it a girls car...:rolleyes:

Huhness
28th October 2008, 12:55 PM
Border security was great! Stupid american had a winge about having his bags searched.. pussy :rolleyes: And what about that champion old geezer with the kinda young mail order bride! hahah!

The force was good too! oh man what better way to spend a monday night.. ;)

Calibrated
28th October 2008, 01:02 PM
Border security was great! Stupid american had a winge about having his bags searched.. pussy :rolleyes: And what about that champion old geezer with the kinda young mail order bride! hahah!

The force was good too! oh man what better way to spend a monday night.. ;)
i played GRID. was much better than watching those bumbling bafoons.

Hackstra
28th October 2008, 01:27 PM
i played GRID. was much better than watching those bumbling bafoons.

Ultimate respect! Have you finished the global events? If so what happens after that?!
I've been downloading the aus top gear coz our sbs sucks. I dont mind it, its a good way to get a car fix, better than that damn 5th gear. I liked the 135 review but I agree, the 1 series has always been 'girly' i think its the headlights.
I'd love to see a review of the astra vxr rather than calling them lawn bowls cars...:p

Calibrated
28th October 2008, 02:14 PM
Ultimate respect! Have you finished the global events? If so what happens after that?!
I've been downloading the aus top gear coz our sbs sucks. I dont mind it, its a good way to get a car fix, better than that damn 5th gear. I liked the 135 review but I agree, the 1 series has always been 'girly' i think its the headlights.
I'd love to see a review of the astra vxr rather than calling them lawn bowls cars...:p
i only got it 2 weeks ago :o was a bit delayed in getting it. im almost finished the euro b licence, so you're probably further than me :p

but a few more evenings and weekends, and i'll be ripping through it.

bornwild
28th October 2008, 08:29 PM
If the 135i is a chicks car then the HSV GTS is a poofta's car