PDA

View Full Version : Question for thoe who have Opelised

Taffy
24th September 2008, 11:09 AM
What sort of reactions do you get?

There was a guy behind me today who looked my car up and down then shook his head. He looked confused for a moment and then disgusted...in the same way that you would look at a blatent hoon.

So have you had any positive, negative or funny comments/reactions?

Jerram
24th September 2008, 11:13 AM
well it seems to impress the ladies (probably because the vec is rare enough that they, in their feminine minds, have never seen a Holden variant that they can remember), but other then that I haven't had any real reactions to it - and hey people don't even pay me out for my hood ornament, which obviously means that it looks in it's place:)

Oh, bout the ladies as well I think they might appreciate going out in something that's not a shitbox toyota camry or some rice burner with a 10" cannon on the back.

CNBLU
24th September 2008, 11:15 AM
i always get "is it an opel?" to witch i reply "yes its been imported from belgium" :p

Calibrated
24th September 2008, 11:23 AM
there's alot of people that agree with us rebadging to the original manufacturer. but there's also alot that will shoot us down because its "Strailya mate, its a Holden"

SSS_Hoon
24th September 2008, 11:32 AM
well it seems to impress the ladies (probably because the vec is rare enough that they, in their feminine minds, have never seen a Holden variant that they can remember), but other then that I haven't had any real reactions to it - and hey people don't even pay me out for my hood ornament, which obviously means that it looks in it's place:)

Oh, bout the ladies as well I think they might appreciate going out in something that's not a shitbox toyota camry or some rice burner with a 10" cannon on the back.

LOL.

nothing wrong with a ricer with a 10" cannon zorst (hehehe) well not exactly 10" more like 4" but still.

Im sure my ricer would own yo ass! LoL...

Hood ornament what the?

I think that de badging is the way to go looks cleaner. As for rebadgeing well its a personal preference and not my cup of tea, some look good others just shocking.

As for the ladies being impressed by a vectra as its rare :D but i guess its hard to determing sarcasm in a forum post aint it.

SSS_Hoon

Ginge
24th September 2008, 12:28 PM
i have had both my astra and past vectra opelised. its well worth it. plenty of good reactions. since my vectra is gone and the astra needs to be fixed im going completely badgeless on it except for a few 'astra' word badges so i dont have to tell ppl what it is. they can decide wether they want it to be holden, opel or even vauxhall

lithium
24th September 2008, 12:41 PM
the Opelized cars i've seen on the street look damn good, i love the lighting badge

but for me, just debadging the words and leaving the lion badge on - i like it being subtle

btw regarding shitbox Camrys - my parents used to have a Camry. shitbox = no. whitegood = yes. can't argue with Toyota build quality...

moose_factor
24th September 2008, 12:48 PM
As Nemo would say..."What's with all the Z's" hahahaha

JR
24th September 2008, 12:50 PM
i like mine debadged rather than rebadged.
apart from the "astra" badge, i got nothin else that says opel or holden.
so that way i don't get both critisms:-
"its not an opel"
or
"its not a holden"

safest bet. n the nicest lookin option for me ;)

deviant
24th September 2008, 12:59 PM
there's alot of people that agree with us rebadging to the original manufacturer. but there's also alot that will shoot us down because its "Strailya mate, its a Holden" before jumping back in their ute or ss thats got Chevrolet badges and a huge Chevrolet badge across the rear windscreen

Edited for accuracy

Wraith
24th September 2008, 01:10 PM
What sort of reactions do you get?

There was a guy behind me today who looked my car up and down then shook his head. He looked confused for a moment and then disgusted...in the same way that you would look at a blatent hoon.

So have you had any positive, negative or funny comments/reactions?

From what you've described above, seems he didn't approve - I'm pretty confident in saying he recognised the car, recognised it was a Holden, then noticed the Opel branding on it and displayed his dissapproval...probably thinking 'what a wanker' ???

I may be all wrong, but that's what it seems like to me...and TBH I probably see it that way because I too don't see the point of Opelising or any type of brand changing/swapping for that matter, (I have my own many reasons for this) unless I owned a VXR, with the multi identity crisis going on with that car from factory, I would remove/replace badging just so it wouldn't drive me insane, but I'd stick to the branding that the car was meant to have for the Aust. market, ie: HSV...

Calibrated
24th September 2008, 01:56 PM
unless I owned a VXR, with the multi identity crisis going on with that car from factory, I would remove/replace badging just so it wouldn't drive me insane, but I'd stick to the branding that the car was meant to have for the Aust. market, ie: HSV...
you cant. you would have to badge it as Opel or Vauxhall, as you cant get a Holden badged steering wheel for the VXR. afaik they are different to the other astra models. and would be a costly excercise regardless to change the wheel.

Ice
24th September 2008, 02:25 PM
Ive had some good reactions and have started convo's with people about the car. They have all been quite interested. I always tell them that its an imported car and as i say they've always complimented it. When Im with CNBLU people kind of give my car a sideways glance if at all, haha and then just stare at his .... Pfffft ! dont tell him, dont want him to get too big a head ;)

Vectracious
24th September 2008, 02:32 PM
there's alot of people that agree with us rebadging to the original manufacturer. but there's also alot that will shoot us down because its "Strailya mate, its a Holden" before jumping back in their ute or ss thats got Chevrolet badges and a huge Chevrolet badge across the rear windscreen

Edited for accuracy

LOL

Each to their own I suppose - your car do whatever you like with it....

but I do have to ask Jerram - hood ornament???? Is it the spirit of Ecstasy or something like that?

glider
24th September 2008, 02:36 PM
I may be all wrong, but that's what it seems like to me...and TBH I probably see it that way because I too don't see the point of Opelising or any type of brand changing/swapping for that matter

all we are doing by opelising it is recognizing its heritage, if it was made IN Australia by Holden I would probably have kept it holden badged. People may look down on those of us who choose to do this, but if they want to go ahead. The opel badges still make me smile when i look at them. Coincidently I just got my opel wheel caps so now my car's exterior is completely opelised.

Misguidedangel
24th September 2008, 02:41 PM
I had a guy talk to me in the hallway of my boyfriends apartment building about opels, telling me that commodores were opels too... *lesigh*

tomtom
24th September 2008, 02:52 PM
I did mine recently. I've been chased down by a red SRI 2.2 AH P plater who then rolled up next to me (in traffic) with his headlights and fog lights on (this was 8am.....right) and uhh...dont know. Him and his girlfriend just looked at me.

Had another couple pull up behind me. Saw the driver point at the back of my car. His girlfriend raised herself from her magazine and looked then nodded "OOHH". *shrug*.

No one has been hostile or anything. I've been blinked by a few opel corsas tho :)

That and i got more power out of my car with the lightning bolts.

I didn't do it to take a shit at holden or anything - i did it cause i like the way the badge looks and being from a design field, thats enoguh reason for me :D

Nurb608
24th September 2008, 02:55 PM
the Commodore was an Opel well before it was a Holden :)

sooty
24th September 2008, 02:59 PM
Did it to be different.
No-one ever really notices, but it looks a lot better than the 113mm lion on the back of the AH anyway:cool:

mr corsa
24th September 2008, 03:05 PM
my rear badge is a good focus point for those who get left behind :eek:

Misguidedangel
24th September 2008, 03:07 PM

yes but he was talking about his VY commie hahaha

cdxi
24th September 2008, 03:56 PM
Check out the UK Vectra C forum and see how many guys over there are de-Vauxhalling their Vectras and sticking Holden lions on their bums.

The cars' bums, that is.......

Vectracious
24th September 2008, 04:18 PM
yes but he was talking about his VY commie hahaha

Well the VY is basically a VT with some bodywork.....

Opel Omega

http://classifieds.weyak.ae/uploaded/77c2ec631290cc0cf55265cd3f4ad387.jpg

Look familiar? :p

Vectracious
24th September 2008, 04:20 PM

Our Commodore was based on the Opel Senator though - but yeah they had a model called a Commodore which makes it confusing.

btm
24th September 2008, 04:24 PM
i did mine to be different from the other 5 zillion astras there are in australia

most people dont know what it is i've found. i had one kid ask his dad and the dad goes "that is holdens other badge" :p

Taffy
24th September 2008, 04:33 PM
Imagine if we accidentally bought the new Barina or the Viva, later finding out the dirty truth, that they are actually Daewoo's.

I wonder how many of us would then rebadge them to a Daewoo. Ha

Calibrated
24th September 2008, 04:38 PM
Imagine if we accidentally bought the new Barina or the Viva, later finding out the dirty truth, that they are actually Daewoo's.

easier to just write them off, get insurance payout, and get something else

Misguidedangel
24th September 2008, 05:03 PM
Well the VY is basically a VT with some bodywork.....

Opel Omega

http://classifieds.weyak.ae/uploaded/77c2ec631290cc0cf55265cd3f4ad387.jpg

Look familiar? :p

oh I get it... but he didn't... he still reckoned his car was built by opel... :rolleyes:

Jerram
24th September 2008, 05:39 PM
LOL

Each to their own I suppose - your car do whatever you like with it....

but I do have to ask Jerram - hood ornament???? Is it the spirit of Ecstasy or something like that?

who knows

anyway here's some pics (I know there's a close up somewhere on here but here are some better ones)

MAD-16V
24th September 2008, 05:58 PM
I get heaps of comments mainly from older people asking what type of car it is and where i got it.

When I park to get fuel - I usually get someone coming up and asking questions about the car.

I dont know if its the overall appearance or if its the badges.

Black Nugget
24th September 2008, 06:10 PM
Lol @ Jerram...thats awesome mate, totally different!

At least if you hit somebody with that they wont forget that it's an opel.

how did you make that?

Taffy
24th September 2008, 07:29 PM
who knows

anyway here's some pics (I know there's a close up somewhere on here but here are some better ones)

omg I'm really suprised that no one has snapped that off yet ! Looks good though.

Shaun
24th September 2008, 07:29 PM
From what you've described above, seems he didn't approve - I'm pretty confident in saying he recognised the car, recognised it was a Holden, then noticed the Opel branding on it and displayed his dissapproval...probably thinking 'what a wanker' ???

I may be all wrong, but that's what it seems like to me...and TBH I probably see it that way because I too don't see the point of Opelising or any type of brand changing/swapping for that matter, (I have my own many reasons for this) unless I owned a VXR, with the multi identity crisis going on with that car from factory, I would remove/replace badging just so it wouldn't drive me insane, but I'd stick to the branding that the car was meant to have for the Aust. market, ie: HSV...

There is no real issue from the Outside of the car in terms of Brand marking .
Make: HSV
Model VXR
There is one Opel Badge on the whole car. Steering wheel OPC Marking on the dash is hardly noticeable and would only be if your so anal renteive abbout looking at it all day everyday. But normally those who have a VXR tend to drive them and constrate on the task ahead not on dash while doing 110km on a motorway.

Huhness
24th September 2008, 08:04 PM
Model VXR
There is one Opel Badge on the whole car. Steering wheel OPC Marking on the dash is hardly noticeable and would only be if your so anal renteive abbout looking at it all day everyday. But normally those who have a VXR tend to drive them and constrate on the task ahead not on dash while doing 110km on a motorway.

Wow the VXR is the best car on earth!

iNiff
24th September 2008, 08:28 PM
Model VXR

the grille with or without the badge looks vauxhall from a distance.

sadavidsriturbo
24th September 2008, 09:22 PM
I have de badged my vehicle on the rear just kept the 2.0 and turbo badge
I want to opelise the front but its more head **** than its worth
If i can get around it with out changing the grill i will
But i did manage to get OPEL for my number plate one 2 people have commented both mates one like it and one thinks its gay

Jerram
24th September 2008, 10:27 PM
Lol @ Jerram...thats awesome mate, totally different!

At least if you hit somebody with that they wont forget that it's an opel.

how did you make that?

actually I bought it on eBay

Chrome to, not plastic, and all for about $7

OPC
24th September 2008, 11:46 PM
Model VXR

yep, there is no real issue from the outside or inside on mine

its all OPEL, none of these pretend HSV badging

and my OPEL does more than 110km on the motorway ;)

tomtom
25th September 2008, 12:56 AM
I get heaps of comments mainly from older people asking what type of car it is and where i got it.

When I park to get fuel - I usually get someone coming up and asking questions about the car.

I dont know if its the overall appearance or if its the badges.

You car looks ace from the sig! White FTW. wheres your car thread? :)

Astra VXD
25th September 2008, 07:43 AM
I wonder how the australians would take to seeing mines there,

do you think they would be intrigued?

Steve

Calibrated
25th September 2008, 07:58 AM
I wonder how the australians would take to seeing mines there,

do you think they would be intrigued?

Steve
majority dont like anything that isnt a big rwd v8. hopefully that perception will start to wear off at some stage.

your astra is awesome. so much attention to detail!

Astra VXD
25th September 2008, 08:35 AM

yeah hopefully it should turn a few heads when am over :D

be good to get a good few photos with you guys.

Steve

chrissn89
25th September 2008, 08:57 AM

yeah hopefully it should turn a few heads when am over :D

be good to get a good few photos with you guys.

Steve

Are you bring your car to Aus. If you are youve gotta come to Brisbane, or even better Boonah. Lotsa good piccy spots in Boonah.

Astra VXD
25th September 2008, 09:05 AM
I'm planning on bringing the car over for a couple of weeks next year

touring most of aus with a little help from fellow members :)

Steve

chrissn89
25th September 2008, 09:14 AM
I'm planning on bringing the car over for a couple of weeks next year

touring most of aus with a little help from fellow members :)

Steve

Wow awesome stuff man be sure to come to QLD. If you need a bed your more than welcome.

mitchv
25th September 2008, 10:04 AM
Yeah, i agree, your Astra looks sweet, would love to see how it looks against the VXR. The only thing i dont like (i dont like any of them) is the look of the 5 door hatch, it just doesnt have the sleek lines of the 3 door...

If your coming through Brisbane, be sure to hit us up, I am sure Glider would be happy to take some more awesome shots (the man is an artist with the lens :P)

I also tend to agree with Shaun, that i have no issues with it being either way, HSV is fine with me, and i am always the first to tell people its an Opel and its not an Australian made car, but because the exterior is badged the same, and there isnt many out there (people dont know what it is anyway) i cant see much point... its not like it has many badges on it (the one on the back Chrome strip (which you hardly see), the one on the front, and the wheel centres...) I can see why people would do it, but i cant see the point in doing it to my car...

Wraith
25th September 2008, 10:14 AM
Check out the UK Vectra C forum and see how many guys over there are de-Vauxhalling their Vectras and sticking Holden lions on their bums.

The cars' bums, that is.......

Hahahaha LOL, that says alot...

Alot of people who re-badge/brand are obviously 'brand driven' in terms of wanting to make their car look more prestigious or along those lines :rolleyes:

I suppose they too would say, just want it to be different, even though the GMH logo isn't who actually make it :confused: :rolleyes:

Wraith
25th September 2008, 10:19 AM

Yes, I've asked this question also in other threads...

Lets see how many re-badgers here will Daewoo-lise future Vivas, Astras or whatever coming from the Daewoo factory ;)

Just looking forward to hear all the reasons as to why not :rolleyes:

glider
25th September 2008, 12:42 PM
Lets see how many re-badgers here will Daewoo-lise future Vivas, Astras or whatever coming from the Daewoo factory ;)

Just looking forward to hear all the reasons as to why not :rolleyes:

that would first require them/us to consider buying them

imay
25th September 2008, 12:56 PM
Slightly off thread (and associated with another that recently got a bit critical of brands), but I am still amazed at the number of Joe Average-type folk you run into that are still of the opinion that Barina, Astra, Vectra - even Captiva and all the other Daewoos - are Holden products, built by Holden at their Elizabeth plant alongside the Commonwhore. I can, to some degree, undersand their confusion, but to me this hardly warrants re-badging to Opel.
Can you image a Chrysler Crossfire owner rebadging his (rather unattractive) American barge to Mercedes-Benz? Ford Laser owner rebadging to Mazda, or vice-versa?
Wonder how long it will be before someone here gets their mate in the good ol' USofA to send over a batch of Saturn badges for their Astra H?

Theo
25th September 2008, 01:08 PM
Are you Opelising...or just restoring the car back to it's original state????

Brucey
25th September 2008, 01:12 PM
People just look at my car a bit weird sometimes when they see the badges.

Some know what car it is but some are trying to work it out because of the
badge.

It is been called a 'Zorro"car once. " it's a zorro car" is what the guy said to his mates.

Also got my badge and grille for free so people cannot say why waste the money on different badges.

Wraith
25th September 2008, 01:14 PM
Slightly off thread (and associated with another that recently got a bit critical of brands), but I am still amazed at the number of Joe Average-type folk you run into that are still of the opinion that Barina, Astra, Vectra - even Captiva and all the other Daewoos - are Holden products, built by Holden at their Elizabeth plant alongside the Commonwhore. I can, to some degree, undersand their confusion, but to me this hardly warrants re-badging to Opel.
Can you image a Chrysler Crossfire owner rebadging his (rather unattractive) American barge to Mercedes-Benz? Ford Laser owner rebadging to Mazda, or vice-versa?
Wonder how long it will be before someone here gets their mate in the good ol' USofA to send over a batch of Saturn badges for their Astra H?

Totally agree :clap:

There are many other points you could add to above as well, hence why 'in my opinion' I consider this whole re-badging business to be a toss - pardon the punt and no offence to the majority here who've done so...each to their own as always :)

And then also, you can really appreciate your friendly unknown Opel bretheren, when one of them rips and steals your badges wrecking your car in the process for their own re-badging/Opelising purposes...this does seem to happen quite alot in the 'Opel' community :rolleyes:

Hackstra
25th September 2008, 01:15 PM

Such a good point! haha
Personally I feel that Astras, Vectras etc are released as Holdens in Australia so in my eyes its a Holden. HOWEVER, I am a student and am known to be lazy, so if i had the money and the time I'd do it i think coz the Opel badges look wicked.

Taffy
25th September 2008, 01:19 PM

I have a friend who is BIG in to cars...he has some crazy turbo Nissan and seems to know almost everything. BUT he just would not believe me that the Barina is a Daewoo.

In the end he admitted that it may be a Daewoo shell, but 'still made with aussie Holden parts'.

A couple of weeks later he said that he saw a Daewoo that looked quite like a Barina.

Taffy
25th September 2008, 01:22 PM
Such a good point! haha
Personally I feel that Astras, Vectras etc are released as Holdens in Australia so in my eyes its a Holden. HOWEVER, I am a student and am known to be lazy, so if i had the money and the time I'd do it i think coz the Opel badges look wicked.

To me, they will always be Vauxhall's as that's what I grew up with.

Interestingly though, I looked under the bonnet the other day and my compliance plate says OPEL CORSA. I thought it would say Holden to be honest.

Red AH SRI T
25th September 2008, 02:59 PM
I always get good comments, mostly because ppl don't know what sort of car it is.
I changed mine because i prefer the look of the Opel badge, and its a bit unique, and on the SRiT i didn't like the V grille

imay
25th September 2008, 03:03 PM

Further to my comments earlier, you will even see/read numerous comments and references from the guys 'n' gals on the UK Opel/Vauxhall/Astra/Corsa/Vectra forums that their cars are "Vauxhall" and all made in the UK! I don't think that Vauxhall (as a brand) actually designs any of their later models cars, do they? They are all rebadged Opels as far as I know . . . but they are still Vauxhalls!

Vectracious
25th September 2008, 03:08 PM
Further to my comments earlier, you will even see/read numerous comments and references from the guys 'n' gals on the UK Opel/Vauxhall/Astra/Corsa/Vectra forums that their cars are "Vauxhall" and all made in the UK! I don't think that Vauxhall (as a brand) actually designs any of their later models cars, do they? They are all rebadged Opels as far as I know . . . but they are still Vauxhalls!

I think they still have some input into design and engineering aspects of the car - and the older models (like the Vectra B) were mass produced in England (Luton IIRC).

Plus it's the EU over there - everyone's the same ;)

Calibrated
25th September 2008, 03:17 PM

Interestingly though, I looked under the bonnet the other day and my compliance plate says OPEL CORSA. I thought it would say Holden to be honest.
would always be Opel to me, coz thats what i grew up with :)

the calibra compliance plate also says OPEL CALIBRA

Wraith
25th September 2008, 04:55 PM

AFAIK the only part Vauxhall do is some of the design, if that anymore and they used to make and/or assemble engines in some of the previous models...eg: the Calibra.

Taffy
25th September 2008, 05:11 PM
Yeah I think that they have a bit of involvement in the design as said above but not much.

Plus, they seem to get a couple more things than Holden. The 'V' grille on the Barina is a good example...The Holden's here have the Opel chrome bar thingy (which I reckon is better anyway).

Oh and when I got my gear lever insert from Holden it said 'made in the UK' on the back :p

ASTRAY
25th September 2008, 05:34 PM
i havent had any bad remarks about my opel badges.
not long after i bought my astra an old bloke at work told me about the astra being an opel, so i researched into it and thats eventually how i ended up finding this site.
i rebadged my car well before i found opelaus and was glad to find that so many people are doing it.
i changed my badges because my car is an opel, not a holden. if it was built by holden i would never change the badge.
and i totally agree with what alot of members have been saying, the opel badge looks a million times better. but i do like the holden badge too.

i have a 1990 holden nova aka toyota corolla and have the badges here for when i finally get off my ass and rebadge it.
trust me, im a holden man, but if a car isnt a holden, then i dont want holden badges on it.
my opel airbag was swapped with some guy who bought his car as an opel and wanted to be different and have his car badged as a holden.

i might be wrong, but i think holden ships the cars over in peices and put them together here in australia.

in reply to the ford mazda question, id certainly rebadge the laser to mazda 323.
but more importantly, i wouldnt make the silly decision of buying the ford version in the first place, the mazdas came with more options as standard, where as ford charged extra for them.
and for the daewoo question, im just glad that im a member of opelaus and fellow members have revealed the truth about the daewoos.
people have many arguements for and against the daewoos, personally i wont touch them.
i dare say holdens use of daewoos will probably only last 10 or so years anyway, holdens rep will go downhill and they will have to offer something much better to win people back. just my view.

the opel commodores looked more like toranas, was one on ebay last year sometime, it was a hatchback.
the name commodore was chosen by a german bloke (i beleive something along the lines of comrade) and the car is a german design, and different versions were sold all over europe and south africa.

Astra VXD
25th September 2008, 06:11 PM
not long after i bought my astra an old bloke at work told me about the astra being an opel, so i researched into it and thats eventually how i ended up finding this site.
i rebadged my car well before i found opelaus and was glad to find that so many people are doing it.
i changed my badges because my car is an opel, not a holden. if it was built by holden i would never change the badge.
and i totally agree with what alot of members have been saying, the opel badge looks a million times better. but i do like the holden badge too.

Such a true statement :)

but sometimes especially with all the cars owned by the GM brand of french cars you tend to get a hell of a lot of cross breeding.

For example i have a make who drives peugeot.... peugeot shell, interior everything, citroen steering rack, HONDA engine etc etc.

homany badges would you put on that lol

has anyone ever Vauxhall-ised there astra in australia?

Steve

sooty
25th September 2008, 06:20 PM

Miles Vauxhallised his Tigra before he sold it...does that count? lol

lampshade
25th September 2008, 06:24 PM

Steve

Mine is Vauxhall , but I have been asked "why have you put Vaux badges on your Holden?"

iNiff
25th September 2008, 06:31 PM

I would because I think it is such a better logo... but it's harder to justify, at least it says opel in places.. the only place you find the vauxhall badge is the valve cap remover.

immenotu
25th September 2008, 06:41 PM
tfbf has vauxhallised his black VXR

I personally opelised because i like the opel badge, the car started out life as an opel and its good to be a bit different.

Ive had a few people trying to work out what it is, but no negative comments at all.

ASTRAY
25th September 2008, 08:29 PM

but sometimes especially with all the cars owned by the GM brand of french cars you tend to get a hell of a lot of cross breeding.

For example i have a make who drives peugeot.... peugeot shell, interior everything, citroen steering rack, HONDA engine etc etc.

homany badges would you put on that lol

Steve
lol steve, holden have a huge reputation for using other motors etc...
1986-? vl commodore = nissan engine
gemini and some work utes = isuzu engine
most commodore v8s= chev engine
as mentioned holden nova is a toyota corolla, but at least at that period toyota used the commodore and called it a lexen, holden and toyota had some sharing partnership going.
the earlier (80s) astras were actually nissan pulsars.
and thats just holdens history of cross breeding.
ford and mazda have a very long past of sharing (mainly ford using mazda cars, eg 323-laser, 626-telstar , mazda bravo-ford courier)
im sure theres more but thats about the extent of my knowledge...:D

Black Nugget
25th September 2008, 08:32 PM
don't forget the almighty apollo!

ASTRAY
25th September 2008, 08:33 PM
aha! i knew id forgotten one, yep the holden apollo was really a toyota camry. :)

Dowie
25th September 2008, 09:41 PM
Mine is Vauxhall , but I have been asked.

Why have you put Vaux badges on your Holden? ;)

iNiff
25th September 2008, 09:49 PM

or the swift/barina

Wraith
26th September 2008, 08:44 AM

i have a 1990 holden nova aka toyota corolla and have the badges here for when i finally get off my ass and rebadge it.
trust me, im a holden man, but if a car isnt a holden, then i dont want holden badges on it.
my opel airbag was swapped with some guy who bought his car as an opel and wanted to be different and have his car badged as a holden.

i might be wrong, but i think holden ships the cars over in peices and put them together here in australia.

in reply to the ford mazda question, id certainly rebadge the laser to mazda 323.
but more importantly, i wouldnt make the silly decision of buying the ford version in the first place, the mazdas came with more options as standard, where as ford charged extra for them.
and for the daewoo question, im just glad that im a member of opelaus and fellow members have revealed the truth about the daewoos.
people have many arguements for and against the daewoos, personally i wont touch them.
i dare say holdens use of daewoos will probably only last 10 or so years anyway, holdens rep will go downhill and they will have to offer something much better to win people back. just my view.

the opel commodores looked more like toranas, was one on ebay last year sometime, it was a hatchback.
the name commodore was chosen by a german bloke (i beleive something along the lines of comrade) and the car is a german design, and different versions were sold all over europe and south africa.

Based on what you've said above then, along with a great many others here who have Opelised for the same reason, you would be more than willing to re-badge any car that was 'wholly' manufactured as another brand to begin with...

So ' if ' you were to buy any of the newer GMH Daewoo range - would you Daewoo-lise the vehicle ??? :)

If not why ??? ;)

BTW as far as more recent or current Opels are concerned, they are fully imported intact, not assembled by GMH locally...

Nurb608
26th September 2008, 10:09 AM
I think it just comes down to personal taste. If you prefer the Opel badge then use it, if you like the holden one, leave it on. It's no different to fitting new rims, lights, bodykits or number plates etc. It's purely a personlisation of your car to make it look the way you want it.

ASTRAY
26th September 2008, 01:54 PM
Based on what you've said above then, along with a great many others here who have Opelised for the same reason, you would be more than willing to re-badge any car that was 'wholly' manufactured as another brand to begin with...

So ' if ' you were to buy any of the newer GMH Daewoo range - would you Daewoo-lise the vehicle ??? :)

If not why ??? ;)

BTW as far as more recent or current Opels are concerned, they are fully imported intact, not assembled by GMH locally...

a quote from my original message

but to precisely answer your question...
"if" i had unknowingly bought a daewoo, i would debadge it.
i am not one to try and please others with my image or with the image of my possessions, i dont care what others think. but i do like my possessions to look good to me.
personally i have never liked the look of any daewoo.
when the daily telegraph ran a story on the upcoming daewoo holdens i really liked the look of the barina sedans and was very much contemplating buying one for my gf. but when i seen one in the flesh it turned me right off it.
when the vivas came out i was invited by my dealer to view and test drive a viva, i didnt take them up on the offer of a test drive but did go to look at one, as soon as i opened the driver side door my mind was made up that i was never going to waste my money on one.
the doors are as thin as potato chips! well almost :D i dont see them protecting much during a side on accident. i know you cant base the safety of a car on its doors alone, but it does paint a poor picture.

when i bought my astra i went to every car yard, it was going to be my very first new car, and most probably a car id be keeping for a long long time. i wanted something that looked good, this was my main priority.
as mentioned i am a holden man, but if a ford looked best to me, then thats what i would have bought.
as it happened the astra looked best to me, the rest is history.
as one of the salesmen pointed out, open the door of a ts astra, or lift the bonnet, its built so strong its like opening the door/lifting the bonnet of a commodore.
you can feel the quality of the build on the astras.
do the same to a viva, open the door, and i bet you wont want to go for a test drive either.
i am in no way saying astras are the worlds best built cars, but they are volumes better than the daewoos.
my nova/corolla is no better than a daewoo in door build, but suprisingly rates almost as well as the astra in safety, even though the nova lacks airbags etc.

Wraith
26th September 2008, 01:55 PM
I think it just comes down to personal taste. If you prefer the Opel badge then use it, if you like the holden one, leave it on. It's no different to fitting new rims, lights, bodykits or number plates etc. It's purely a personlisation of your car to make it look the way you want it.

Given the 'fact' that someone has done it for the reason listed above, I agree that - that's a good and fair enough reason !

However I know alot of people use the above 'excuse' to cover the fact that they are actually 'brand image driven' as the real reason for re-badging or de-badging!

Hence why I asked that simple question above ;)

I'll bet my left testicle, that even if Daewoo release a very decent package of a car and it's sold/badged here as a Holden, no one here who purchases it, will Daewoo-lise it !

I can already hear the reasons like, Daewoo badge looks ugly or not as good, no one cares if it's a Daewoo etc. etc. but I'll then bet my other right testicle, that if it was produced by the GM Chev group or the GM SAAB group or another more exotic brand that GM Global may acquire, the re-badgers would be hard at work in force and 'x' brand-lising it :rolleyes:

Vectracious
26th September 2008, 01:58 PM
but I'll then bet my other right testicle,

Do you have two right testicles?????

WOW :eek: :p

:lamor:

imay
26th September 2008, 02:00 PM
Do you have two right testicles?????

WOW :eek: :p

:lamor:

When making these sorts of "deals/bets" it always pays to have a spare . . . just in case!

Wraith
26th September 2008, 02:03 PM
When making these sorts of "deals/bets" it always pays to have a spare . . . just in case!

:D LOL

'Other' as in other than the left one already put up for grabs :D

You have a good point there Ian - I reckon someone here is going to Daewoo-lise their Viva, just to claim one of my testicles :D :p

ASTRAY
26th September 2008, 02:26 PM
:D LOL

'Other' as in other than the left one already put up for grabs :D

You have a good point there Ian - I reckon someone here is going to Daewoo-lise their Viva, just to claim one of my testicles :D :p

and after said testicle is claimed, they will rush to opelise it :p
i totally get what you mean mate, but put simply, there is no pride to be had owning a daewoo.
its a simple question that has a simple answer, no one in the know would rebadge back to daewoo.
though i am sure there are a few people out there who would rebadge back to a daewoo, but they would be losing some value off their car in doing so too.
and to do something to your car that will reduce value would mean you are pretty bloody stupid.
so all in all, youd have to be pretty bloody stupid to rebadge a daewoo back to a daewoo.

immenotu
26th September 2008, 02:37 PM

Very well said :clap:

For me it was all part of making the car my own, personalising the look.

imay
26th September 2008, 02:39 PM
though i am sure there are a few people out there who would rebadge back to a daewoo, but they would be losing some value off their car in doing so too.

A point I meant to raise earlier in this debate, and maybe there is a used car salesperson or valuer out there that may be able to clarify . . . but I would not be surprised if actually rebadging from Holden to Opel (if the valuer noticed, of course) did in fact scrub a few more $ off the value of these vehicles anyway.
Again, the average Joe/Joess looking at buying 2nd-hand would be looking at buying an Aussie Holden, not an overseas brand.

Wraith
26th September 2008, 03:29 PM
A point I meant to raise earlier in this debate, and maybe there is a used car salesperson or valuer out there that may be able to clarify . . . but I would not be surprised if actually rebadging from Holden to Opel (if the valuer noticed, of course) did in fact scrub a few more $ off the value of these vehicles anyway.
Again, the average Joe/Joess looking at buying 2nd-hand would be looking at buying an Aussie Holden, not an overseas brand.

Hmmm, intesting point...

I'd have to agree that the average Bob or Jane out there who dosn't care or is fussed about this sort of thing, may actually detract from buying a Holden that's wearing another badge on it, ie: of course if they noticed it in the 1st place...

They'd probably ask, what's that and why did you change it ???

It is a fact that a great majority of people who buy cars in the Holden range other than the Commodore do so, because they feel comfortable with the Holden brand and local Australian company.

Put a different badge there, they might feel alienated or relunctant to buy...

Red AH SRI T
26th September 2008, 06:00 PM
i know for a fact that having Opel badges on a Holden doesn't affect the trade value of your car in the eyes of the Valuer.

When trading in my old Black AH CDX i offered to change it back to Holden to which the valuer said "don't bother"

Its the same when they have Commodores come in with Chev badges on them.

Most ppl don't car and the guy who ended up buying my old astra from our yard didn't care either and actually thought they were pretty cool.

:)

27th January 2010, 11:49 PM
if u go to New Zealand,there are both OZ imported Holden badged Vectra and Jap imported Opel badged Vectra
plus opelised OZ imported vectra maybe?
i say do whatever u want.

brc
28th January 2010, 09:49 AM
Nice dig 028, haha

26th September 2008 06:00 PM

poita
28th January 2010, 10:39 AM
...http://crolack.com/pics/NecroPost.jpg

brc
28th January 2010, 11:29 AM
...http://crolack.com/pics/NecroPost.jpg

rofl, it's an awesome topic though ;)

btm
28th January 2010, 12:23 PM
we always say to use the search function... then have a go when it is actually used!

poita
28th January 2010, 12:25 PM
we always say to use the search function... then have a go when it is actually used!

hmmmm didnt think of it that way, my bad

28th January 2010, 12:34 PM
lol,yea,tried to search how to opelise my vectra,look down me,I'm a rice boi.!:ihih:

brc
28th January 2010, 07:22 PM

True that.

BEK-46P
28th January 2010, 07:45 PM
A guy from work thought I designed my own badge and stuck it on the grille. He thought the lightning bolt was a 'Z' and since I'm a designer and my last name starts with Z, put two and two together.

But generally, not many people know what Opel is. Turns out, some people don't know what an Astra is. I've been asked "what car is that?" and then "wow, a 3-door Astra!" (I kid you not).

brc
28th January 2010, 08:56 PM
A guy from work thought I designed my own badge and stuck it on the grille. He thought the lightning bolt was a 'Z' and since I'm a designer and my last name starts with Z, put two and two together.

But generally, not many people know what Opel is. Turns out, some people don't know what an Astra is. I've been asked "what car is that?" and then "wow, a 3-door Astra!" (I kid you not).

ROFL. FYL, can't beleive people never seen a 3door astra! LOL

03srit
15th February 2010, 08:19 AM
just wondering for those people who has opelised or vauxhaul-ized, did you change the "make" on your cars rego or does it still say HOLDEN? coz im the process of opelizing and im not sure if i needed to do anything with the rego..

hazrd
15th February 2010, 09:24 AM
nah no need to change the reg sticker

according to the australian govt its always going to be a holden on our roads unfortunately lol so the rego stays as is.

03srit
15th February 2010, 10:44 AM
Oh that sucks.. So we can never trully be Opel even when our compliance plate states that it is.. People would just think were trying to be Opel when our rego says Holden..

PrincessPeachey
15th February 2010, 07:55 PM
yeah it sucks hey.. the one thing we'll never get rid of LOL

i haven't had any reactions (yet).. adelaide drivers are all 'meh' anyway lol

also, some of the veccy b's were assembled at the elizabeth plant.

scaifeys2.2mk4
17th February 2010, 11:50 PM
at tafe today i got asked by a guy in an old daewoo if mine was a turbo
because it had less badges as its an 04 and has 5 spoke wheels

ROCCO
20th February 2010, 08:15 AM
at tafe today i got asked by a guy in an old daewoo if mine was a turbo
because it had less badges as its an 04 and has 5 spoke wheels

WTF how does that work??? I vauxhaulized mine....was at the pizza shop the other day and this bloke and his son walked out infront of the car...said "LOOK SON ITS A VAUXHAL...didn't think you cold get these down here....nice import mate....." I thought he was going to start crying or something

rodsfromday
1st March 2010, 08:56 PM
Went to an auto trimmer shop today and the guy there was totally amazed with my car. He asked me what make it was as he had neva seen the blitz before. I told him it was an Holden Astra but just in all its original glory. He was quite impressed!!

rodsfromday
4th March 2010, 09:03 PM
Another bloke at work was stumped at the badge. Couldnt understand what type of car it was. Helped him on the right path...............

jastra
4th March 2010, 09:10 PM
Got a parking fine on my first day of uni... Yay. But the funny part was my cars details
make: unknown
colour: black
body: coupe
rego: 1clg-215

it was quite amusing

PrincessPeachey
4th March 2010, 09:12 PM
LOL woulda been cooler if it said 'Make: Opel'

jastra
4th March 2010, 10:02 PM
true that but it was funny that the guy didnt know, either that or they have a list of options on the lil machine. it was funny then the fact that i had a fine hit me...