PDA

View Full Version : 100 ron shell...

collokid
18th September 2008, 06:58 PM
Hey guys, ive just used shells 100ron for the first time. It feels like it pulls a little better, but i think id get more power out of a massive vtec stick... lol
Does anyone else use it?
Waste of money?
(ps im driving 2.2 sri g)

Jerram
18th September 2008, 07:23 PM
Yeah the good ole' Shell V-Power RACING!

umm I have used it but it was at a time my cam sensor was on the blink so I don't know that I got it's full potential. I am using Mobil 6000 atm and I'm impressed with that - but yeah a vtech would love it.

Perhaps 100 RON is maybe too far though for the 91 rated 4-pots; yes I do believe there is a mark where you can have too high an octane; you'd get a misfire eventually?

Corsa_Rob
18th September 2008, 10:28 PM
Where do you get 100 RON from?

I put BP Ultimate in or Shell V-power (98RON) in my 1.4, get a huge improvement in performance.

CNBLU
18th September 2008, 11:17 PM
Get it while you can...its been discontinued and will be taken off pumps very soon.

tuzinski
18th September 2008, 11:52 PM
Get it while you can...its been discontinued and will be taken off pumps very soon.
reason being its shit petrol, made my astra run very rich and not very stable.
car would cut out sometimes when taking off at lights

glider
18th September 2008, 11:58 PM

probably because the 1.8 is not made for such high ron

tuzinski
19th September 2008, 12:01 AM
probably because the 1.8 is not made for such high ron
no probably because the 2ron is ethanol not petrol

glider
19th September 2008, 12:09 AM
hmm after having a look on shell site 100ron is 5% ethanol

ASTRAY
19th September 2008, 12:33 AM
hmm after having a look on shell site 100ron is 5% ethanol
im almost completely clueless with ron etc, but ive been using just e10 for way over a year (perhaps even 2yrs) and never had problems.
some people say ethanol is less economic (ie less km/L) but from my experience my astra runs better on it, and i get better km.

SSS_Hoon
19th September 2008, 06:28 AM
Yeah i was using it in my SSS for a while, i believe mrcorsa was also using it for awile too.

I stopped as i knew they were discontinuing it so no point tuning the car for it if they are getting rid of it.

Yeah its 5% Ethanol which is a good thing not a bad thing.

If your car is not tuned to run the 100ron then u wont really see much of a difference at all.

I was running my SSS on it and did before and after dyno runs at the same dyno obviously at diff times though.

Using it the SSS made 93.3fwkw not tuned for it, all that was done was the timing was advanced and i had the fuel pressure adjusted i wsa running it in the car for 3 months straight before running it on the dyno so any old petrol was well and truely out of the system and long enough time for it to learn what ever it wanted to learn.

Then another 3 months just using caltex 98ron fuel same mods same timing and fuel pressure and what not, then went to the same dyno with the same operator and the car did 91.3fwkw.

So a 2kw increase i did get about a xtra 10-15klm per tank. So if your not tuned for it the xtra price is a waste for the fuel.

If your car is meant to run fine on 91 then running 100ron is a complete waste of time even more so.

There was another pulsar that is a track car and he did the same sort of thing and he found a 4kw gain i think he did have more mods then me though.

SSS_Hoon

SSS_Hoon
19th September 2008, 06:29 AM
double post oops.

Ethanol is good its not that bad, you just have to make sure that your car is ok to use it, as the older cars and even some newer cars cannot run ethanol.

Reason being that the ethanol can rot certain types of rubber, and some cars use the old style that will/can rot with the use of ethanol. It wont happen straight away but use over a period of time.

SSS_Hoon

Wraith
19th September 2008, 08:58 AM
Hey guys, ive just used shells 100ron for the first time. It feels like it pulls a little better, but i think id get more power out of a massive vtec stick... lol
Does anyone else use it?
Waste of money?
(ps im driving 2.2 sri g)

This has been discussed before....

I tried it out when it was 1st introduced in Melb.

I tried 2 tank fulls back to back in my Astra T, to try and get an accurate assessment ot it.

Result - zero power or performance increase compared to the 98 Optimax (as it was called at the time, now V-power 98) and I also got 'less' range compared to using either Optimax or BP ultimate 98 !

To add it cost 12cents a litre more than 98 at the time I tried it - my conclusion, total waste of money, so I didn't use it since and it's almost gone from Melb. servos now anyway, no surprises to me on that one ;)

The only benefit one would have in using 100 octane, to justify the expense, is if you have a vehicle with a high power engine thats been specifically tuned to run and gain the benefits of 100 octane fuel !

lithium
19th September 2008, 10:01 AM
i've never tried it, 98 is more than enough for my Barina. however:

that's an interesting effect from 2 more RON and some ethanol...makes me really not want to put it in my car :(

The only benefit one would have in using 100 octane, to justify the expense, is if you have a vehicle with a high power engine thats been specifically tuned to run and gain the benefits of 100 octane fuel !

mostly agree. however even with a stock car, in Oz you'll notice a difference on one of the really hot days. high octane petrol will delay the onset of detonation and your ECU won't have to pull as much timing = more power

also a car that has done some distance and has deposits on the pistons/cylinders will benefit from higher octane. deposits slightly increase the compression ratio and again high octane will help delay detonation

CNBLU
19th September 2008, 10:04 AM
When i used it i cant honestly say i noticed any difference. Maybe a few kw's if it was to be put on the dyno, but for everyday driving just stick with 98ron, still a very good fuel.

SSS_Hoon
19th September 2008, 10:07 AM
i want E85 to become more widely available its coming soon and i cannot wait for it to get here either.

Cheaper and more power hehehehe.

Deposits in the combustion chamber and what not have little effect on the CR its more due to the fact that they cause hot spots in there and can cause pre ignition or run on which can ping.

Ping Is Power LoL.

SSS_Hoon

lithium
19th September 2008, 10:26 AM
Deposits in the combustion chamber and what not have little effect on the CR its more due to the fact that they cause hot spots in there and can cause pre ignition or run on which can ping.

more accurate description right there :)
ethanol blends might give more power due to increased octane but less kms/tank...or so i've been told

SSS_Hoon
19th September 2008, 10:34 AM
yeah i got about 15-20klms less using the 5%100ron compared to the 98ron, although if the car was tuned for the 5%100ron i think it would be the same.

I have not tried the 10% E blends in my car purely bcoz nissan state that any thing before 2004 is not ethanol safe. Although i used the 5% for over 3 months without any dramas at all.

SSS_Hoon

collokid
19th September 2008, 10:42 AM
lol... fair enough... sorry for re-post... yeh i thought it was a waste on my car, i was right, ill go out and get a big vtech sticker and that will give me the extra ponies i need... lol
ill stick to 98

Huhness
19th September 2008, 11:42 AM
My mum uses this in her little 1.3L echo.. :rolleyes:

Wraith
19th September 2008, 11:47 AM
My mum uses this in her little 1.3L echo.. :rolleyes:

LOL Huhness - tell her she should be using regular unleaded on that car and saving heaps of $$$ everytime she hits the pump :)

SSS_Hoon
19th September 2008, 11:49 AM
if its good enough for a ferrari its good enough for a echo hey?

SSS_Hoon

Huhness
19th September 2008, 03:32 PM
She puts it in because my dad brags about using 98 in his car so she had to start using 100 and because he can only fill up at caltex he can only keep using 98. :doh:The car is 8 years old and has only reached about 50,000kms which i put 30,000kms on in 2 years before i got my own car.. :eek:

Wraith
19th September 2008, 04:31 PM
She puts it in because my dad brags about using 98 in his car so she had to start using 100 and because he can only fill up at caltex he can only keep using 98. :doh:The car is 8 years old and has only reached about 50,000kms which i put 30,000kms on in 2 years before i got my own car.. :eek:

That's odd, because here in Melb. only some Caltex servos carry 'Vortex 98' not all of them...they must all have 98 where you are...or does your dad go where 98 is available ??

Still you should tell/try convincing your mum it's not necessary, regardless what your dad uses, I'm sure she'll agree when thinking about the $4 or $5 or so per tank saving each time she fills up, especially if her car dosn't benefit from it - adds up over time, lots of $$$ :)

Huhness
19th September 2008, 04:37 PM
Down the road from their house is a big caltex with 98. With my new car i use caltex 98 and all the ones i have been to so far carry the full range. E10, 91, 95 and 98 as well as diesel and gas! Sounds like alot when you write it all down!

Wraith
19th September 2008, 04:47 PM
Down the road from their house is a big caltex with 98. With my new car i use caltex 98 and all the ones i have been to so far carry the full range. E10, 91, 95 and 98 as well as diesel and gas! Sounds like alot when you write it all down!

LOL it is :)

Different from the good ol days the older ones of us would remember, it was just 2 choices - standard and super - that's it...

imay
19th September 2008, 04:48 PM
I try to put 95 in my convertible 2.2 every second tank now but I really cant tell much difference between ULP and PULP. Much more noticeable in my wife's Astra. We now regularly use PULP (95) in her 1.8 and get very pleasing results. Better pull from take-off, quicker overtaking response and better l/100km.

Used the 98 in my convertible for a few tanks shortly after getting it and figured it was just a waste of money (and time looking for a bloody station that actually stocked it!). So don't bother anymore.

Hey! At the end of the day, in normal city stop-start commuting, I really don't think there's a lot of difference. And let's face it, that's what our cars are generally used for. Even when we get the chance to "go for a spin" it's more often: drop the top, put on some nice tunes, and watch the idiots race by. Perhaps it's an age thing . . .

Wraith
19th September 2008, 04:58 PM
I try to put 95 in my convertible 2.2 every second tank now but I really cant tell much difference between ULP and PULP. Much more noticeable in my wife's Astra. We now regularly use PULP (95) in her 1.8 and get very pleasing results. Better pull from take-off, quicker overtaking response and better l/100km.

Used the 98 in my convertible for a few tanks shortly after getting it and figured it was just a waste of money (and time looking for a bloody station that actually stocked it!). So don't bother anymore.

Hey! At the end of the day, in normal city stop-start commuting, I really don't think there's a lot of difference. And let's face it, that's what our cars are generally used for. Even when we get the chance to "go for a spin" it's more often: drop the top, put on some nice tunes, and watch the idiots race by. Perhaps it's an age thing . . .

You are correct Ian...

If people did back to back tests in 'normal' cars especially N/A and in 'normal' usage as you've stated, they'd discover it dosn't make much or any difference at all !

I run 98 in my vert because it's a tuned turbo and it's more for safety than power concerns in my case !

In all my other N/A cars 95 works a treat...

The only real benifit you'll get using 98 in 'normal' cars with 'normal' usage only over the long term though is that it's cleaner with less residual matter in it, so things like fuel filters, fuel injector cleans etc. will be required at lesser intervals, but it may still not add up to the extra expense of the dearer fuel over time...

Simple conclusion, if your car dosn't need or benifit from 98 or 100, save yourselves the money and use regular or 95 PULP.

VFRBoy
19th September 2008, 05:05 PM
If you can find it try the United E10 95RON.

It's usually 4c less than normal 91RON so the same as going to Shell or Caltex with a voucher.

Better mileage than 91RON and definitely better performance. Though I haven't dyno'd it my "Seat Of Pants" measure stacks up. FCAI website says it's safe for the Vectra too. Haven't finished my trial with this fuel but I'm expecting a regular 50-80km/tank benefit :clap:

For the bike (Honda VFR800) I use BP 96RON. I get 60kms extra per tank (a 21L tank at that) so it's actually cheaper to pay the extra 6c/l, not to mention the better performance and not pinging when it gets hot.

The engine needs a knock sensor and smart brain to benefit, not necessarily VTEC. Other bikes don't get the same benefit.

VFR