PDA

View Full Version : AH SRi-T 15,000km Servicing Cost

GreyRex
16th September 2008, 09:35 PM
Can i ask how much people have paid for 15,000km service on their Turbo?

My local dealer has quoted me $285, which i'm not that happy about

Family members have told me to get it done at our own mechanic. I don't have to go to Holden do I?

bornwild
16th September 2008, 11:15 PM
You don't have to go to Holden...probably better to use your own mechanic anyway :) Ask your mechanic though, to make sure, whether you retain the warranty.

Vectracious
16th September 2008, 11:19 PM
LOL - thats cheap - I was paying way more for the wife's old 1.8 Astra G at the local Holden dealer while it was under warranty - the local mechanic was about 20% of what Holden charged me and did a better job!!!!

I think as long as the logbook is stamped then there should not be warranty issues.... however thats not to say they won't turn it around and use it against you if something does happen...

cocacola
16th September 2008, 11:43 PM
Ask your mechanic though, to make sure, whether you retain the warranty.

should ask Holden, not the mechanic.

When i had my Camry Sportivo, I asked toyota whether i had to service my car by Toyota. The answer is NO. No warranty issue at all as long as it is serviced by a licensed mechanic and follow the service log book.

However, I asked Parramatta Heartland Holden whether i have to bring my Astra back to them for service, the answer is YES, or warranty gone!

CNBLU
16th September 2008, 11:44 PM
Have you tried Ultra-Tune Ben? Could be cheaper...

Ishley
17th September 2008, 07:39 AM
For all of my service's on my AH SRiT, I paid $90 + if anything needed to be replaced, which wasnt ever much.

Only service I paid more for would have been my 60,000k. But sold the car just before it reached it.

JohnBu
17th September 2008, 10:06 AM
I wouldn't let the typical Ultratune centre service my car, unless I had a recommendation by someone who has been there.

If you planned on keeping the car for over 3 years or so, I would take it to a repco type place, where the main mechanic owns the place and does most of the work. the owner knows its in his best interest to look after you.

have a look at the work area, is it clean? the last repco place I went to had a spotless work area, the floor free of oil..

for a 15k service, i wouldn't be paying more than $75 for the labour and $40 for parts.

better yet, buy the oil yourself - Mobil Super S 10w40(i think they changed the name recently to Super 2000 or something), and an oem Opel oil filter, and get the mechanic to do it.

$285 for an oil & filter change is excessive, but cheaper than what VW charge

Metro1288
17th September 2008, 07:41 PM
I paid about $330 for my 15,000klm service at a Holden dealer, felt ripped off. From memory they charged about $190 for labour, i was speechless. Dont think i want to take the car back to Holden for the next service, i might try one of these independant places.

GreyRex
17th September 2008, 11:13 PM
It's all good. I've worked out what im doing. Thanks:)

DaveM
18th September 2008, 08:32 AM
However, I asked Parramatta Heartland Holden whether i have to bring my Astra back to them for service, the answer is YES, or warranty gone!

that is only true for the mostly worthless extended warranty the dealer offers... the car must be serviced by the dealer that sold it for the duration of its factory + extended warranty period.

If you dont have extended dealer warranty, or like most of us realise that its worth about as much as toilet paper, then you are free to get your car serviced at any MTA authorised dealer and your new car warranty remains valid.

That being said, since the use by date of Astras is 2 years 11 months 30 days after purchase, I would get it serviced at a non ripoff mechanic and sell the car as its coming out of warranty and let some other schmuck deal with the out of warranty repair costs

skulless
18th September 2008, 12:26 PM
i got quoted 275 for a non-turbo! i rang up a mechanic that did some major work for a fellow opel member and he charges up to 220, saying he use good quality parts and oil and he comes to you. i thought this is reasonable?

lithium
18th September 2008, 12:39 PM
that is only true for the mostly worthless extended warranty the dealer offers... the car must be serviced by the dealer that sold it for the duration of its factory + extended warranty period.

If you dont have extended dealer warranty, or like most of us realise that its worth about as much as toilet paper, then you are free to get your car serviced at any MTA authorised dealer and your new car warranty remains valid.

+1
the dealer can't void your warranty if your car is serviced by a licensed mechanic that uses OEM parts
the ACCC says (interpreting the trade practices act):

http://www.lubemobile.com.au/Content_Common/pg-Car-Warranty-Guarantee-Repairs-Service-Australia.seo

"To put the record straight, dealers cannot declare a warranty void if the buyer has the vehicle serviced by someone else. The buyer, however, has an obligation to ensure that the selected service centre employs qualified staff, that servicing matches manufacturer’s specifications and only genuine or appropriate quality parts are used. If the centre implies that it can perform genuine servicing but falls below expectations then the customer has rights and remedies against it regardless of staff qualifications

Where a problem arises (other than in servicing) and it is covered by the warranty, the vehicle should be taken to the dealer for repair.

Under the Trade Practices Act dealers cannot limit their warranty obligations or claim the warranty is void if the vehicle is serviced by someone other than the dealer or its agent. The statutory warranty applies to new and second hand cars. A consumer expects a second hand car to run effectively without repairs although, depending on price and age, it may not be expected to last as long as, or perform to the same standard as a new car. The warranty does not apply to cars sold for spare parts or one bought at an auction. At auctions the seller’s only obligation is to give clear title with no legal restriction on ownership."

that said, a lot of people still choose to fork out the extra cash and get the car serviced by the dealer while its under warranty. sometimes saving a few dollars isn't worth it compared to the potential hassles when the time comes to make a major warranty claim.

lithium
18th September 2008, 12:48 PM
just one caveat to getting an independent mechanic to do your servicing though - if you only service your car at the very long manufacturers intervals of 15000km, make sure your mechanic uses fully synthetic oil! there's no way mineral oil aka dinosaur juice will protect an engine for that distance

EL BURITO
18th September 2008, 01:40 PM
i got quoted 275 for a non-turbo! i rang up a mechanic that did some major work for a fellow opel member and he charges up to 220, saying he use good quality parts and oil and he comes to you. i thought this is reasonable?
If coming to your place of work or home I would say yes.

For mine I have a owner mechanic do the work on mine, one man operation. I take 4 cars to him so he has good reason to keep me happy. On that note mum refuses to let any one else but Mazda service her car and won't listen to me so I don't waste my breath. Dads car go's to Toyota its a work car and there for corporate agreement but surprisingly its only $50 more than I pay.

Lucky_Astra06
18th September 2008, 02:30 PM
i thought all new AH astras came with a 3 yr /60k free servicing from dealers...
I just got my last free service done 2 weeks ago

carpy
18th September 2008, 08:43 PM
I currently have a New Astra CDTI manual it will never see a Holden dealer as I do my own services.( Two so far) Still own Vecta B since new (11 years ) Never a problem after I stopped taking it to Holden. Wife has Corsa XC with extended warranty gets ripped off by Holden (workshop incidentals etc, which they can never explain what they are charging for) and of course every fault it has had, egr, coil pack etc has not been covered buy useless extended warranty.
On the over hand Ive had 2 Mercedes Vitos that never went to the dealers but Tynans fixed every warranty claim (thousands of dollars worth) without ever asking to even see a log book record. Some of these where out of warranty claims!

Tones
23rd October 2008, 09:52 AM
It's all good. I've worked out what im doing. Thanks:)

Mizled,

What did you end up doing? I'm curious as to how you went?

I have the same car, and was charged $280 for the 15k kms service. They also charged me another $82 for rotating and balancing the tyres, plus wheel alignment.

Worse still, I discovered that they hadn't actually rotated the tyres when I picked up the car. When I asked, the guy said - oh, they must have thought it wasn't necessary to rotate the tyres judging from the tyre wear.

Greg K
23rd October 2008, 11:48 AM
i know that at the Mazda dealer where my fiancee bought her sp23 from, the last service cost $110 (5000 km) and the next one will cost $180 (15000 km), as the service prices were guaranteed at the time of purchase. seems a lot cheaper than holden!

Huhness
23rd October 2008, 01:25 PM
For XR5 Ford charge $350 or so.. I don't trust them anyway.. I'll be going to a REAL mechanic. My girlfriends Yaris was service at Toyota though and only cost around $150 for each 10,000, 20,000 and 30,000..

xplosv57
23rd October 2008, 06:18 PM
LOL if you guys are complaining about $200-$300 for servicing, don't go near a Euro prestige car, you'll get a nice suprise!!!

lithium
23rd October 2008, 06:19 PM
what sort of prices do the prestige euro dealers charge for a service?

xplosv57
23rd October 2008, 06:24 PM
Most are going around the $180-$200 an hour just for labour, not including parts...

delemonte
11th March 2009, 02:27 AM
Most are going around the $180-$200 an hour just for labour, not including parts...

:yikes:... ouch!

Wraith
11th March 2009, 08:23 AM
LOL thought it was common knowledge that the more expensive car brands will also charge more or a premium on anything to do with their cars thereafter as well !!!

It's simple, they figure people who can afford to spend 2 or 3 or more times as much for their car, will also be able to, or won't mind spending 2 or 3 times or more as much for servicing/spares etc. etc.

A very typical example also is merchandising, look at the cost of the 'regular' car brand items and then compare them to merchandising with brands like BMW, Merc or Porsche and then compare those to merchandising items with Lambo or Ferrari...you'll get exactly the same watches, keyrings, jackets etc. which will cost totally different amounts depending on the car make or brand sported on them...

I met a guy who purchased a BMW X5 after years of saving up to buy something he really wanted, only to sell it after a short while because he says he couldn't keep up with all the associated costs, can't remember which service it was, but it couldn't of been more than the 2nd or 3rd as he didn't own it that long, but he reckons BMW wanted 2k for it :eek:

I did ask why he didn't take it elsewhere, but he was one of those people who dosn't bother with that sort of thing, as do alot of people out there, this is where the car manufacturers profit most...

On the flip side, I have heard of Hyundai charging high costs for servicing of their cars, maybe to make up for the cheap purchase prices ??? someone with a Hyundai might be able to shed light on that one...

ROCCO
11th March 2009, 09:03 PM
i thought all new AH astras came with a 3 yr /60k free servicing from dealers...
I just got my last free service done 2 weeks ago

Nope I bought my H when TS where on run out...wasn't offered to me...my first mistake was taking it to holden for the 10,000k service...told them don't touch the oil i've already done it...just check it please...what do they do change the oil put there shit stuff in the car...charge me $300+ for the service...
I tell them i'm paying for everything bar the oil as i told you not to change they said they wouldn't give my car back without paying for the full service.
I paid took it home dropped the oil and put full synth back in have never gone back since.

DirtyHarry
12th March 2009, 11:39 AM
rocco. dealer has no right to keep your car, even if you dont pay.
all you have to do is call the cops and tell them they have stolen your vehicle.
if they want to get the money off you, theyll have to take you to dep of fair trading.

Snotty
12th March 2009, 12:04 PM
dep of fair trading is for when consumers are complaining about a business
not business complaining about a consumer.

Keep'emRunning
12th March 2009, 12:39 PM
..amazing why none of us have set up a w/end astra servicing business and retired to the gold coast...

I was recently told a story about VW charging $20p/h more for labour than 12 mths ago, the reason given was the economic downturn.. wth!?

If you pay by credit card and are unhappy with the service, just put a dispute or halt on the transaction -after- you've picked up the car.

In fact most mechs who knowingly rip you off will suddenly find a little morality when you do this :)

Wraith
12th March 2009, 01:23 PM
Simple remedy for all these servicing cost debacles, especially for us car enthusiasts who will go out of our way more than the non car interested folk out there, is to shop around and find a reputable mechanic/service shop that'll look after your best interests and take your car to them instead !

Warranty remains intact if the car is new or still under the factory warranty term and cost wise, you won't be pulling your hair out on being ripped...

I'm sure all concerned can find or be steered in the right direction to a mechanic or workshop of an accepted nature in this regard... :)

DirtyHarry
13th March 2009, 08:35 AM
dep of fair trading isnt for complaing, its about recouping costs for services rendered or lost. there are plenty of cases where the business would take a customer to dep of fair trading as a start to recoup money from them.