PDA

View Full Version : Fun Times

Jerram
15th September 2008, 09:48 PM
Took my vec up to get a timing belt change today. Got my throttle body in the mail recently so I asked them to do that. The timing belt install was $300 (and considering that the belt kit cost me around $100, the all up cost was still $350 cheaper then the dealer quote).

When I went to pick up, they said that they couldn't fit the T/B because it was missing a vacuum pipe. I checked it out myself and indeed it was different to the OEM one. However, the eBay display picture for the item showed a tb WITH the pipe Installed! Not only that, but there was a big disclaimer saying "make sure you match the picture with your tb!" So I've sent a big email to them asking for the right product. (Under the Trade Practices Act of I think 1994, you are under law entitled to a refund if a product does not match a description). I'm thinking that English Law will be the same, given that Australian Law comes from the English system. So hopefully all goes well there.

The other thing; that rattling I was talking about in "Mysterious Sound", I believe it is due to the Cam Cover rattling against the fan belt. This is because a rubber spacer is missing from the mount. I bet this happened when Holden Changed the Cam sensor back in February. They probably went off for one of their typical clock on smokos and when they got back didn't think to replace the spacer.

Anyone have any idea what part number that would be btw?

So yeah typically frustrating experience; I hope that the eBay company I bought this off is receptive to my protests otherwise I'll be rather annoyed.
Anyone know what model used the T/B with no extra vacuum port? 8v perhaps?

nuggz
15th September 2008, 10:07 PM
ooo a rubber spacer missing? that might be the answer to the rattle im getting as well

are you able to grab a picture of where is should be?

and in regards to ebay, its a long slow process mate but normally ends up in a resolution of some sort.

Jerram
15th September 2008, 10:21 PM
Here you go. Sorry about picture quality - it's a screenie of a vec engine video on the tube. If you can't read the text it says something like;

"The spacer is located on the fowardmost bolt on the D/S engine mount. It sits between the mount and the Cam belt cover. Without it, the cover rubs on the Fan Belt." Exact location marked by Yellow Dot.

Wraith
16th September 2008, 08:59 AM
I can only make one suggestion here and its been recomended numerous times before to all on this forum...

For replacement parts in genuine OEM especially items like timing belt sets, water pumps etc. the best place to go is Autovaux !

It will cost you a little more than that price above for a timing belt set, BUT it will still be 1/3-1/2 the local GMH price and it will be complete with nothing missing and because it's OEM spec. it'll fit and work with no problems at all...

Deal directly with them over the phone, pay with your credit card and have your hardware delivered in a week, been dealing with them for years and never had a single problem and many other people here have done the same :)

daiflu
16th September 2008, 12:55 PM
^^ I agree. I get all my parts from autovaux and they are consistanly at least half the price of Holden, and that's with the shipping included.

I had a similar experience with a throttle body lately. I ordered one from the states. The seller sent me a totally different model to the one pictured. It was around 10mm bigger, and had the TPS on the other side!
When I asked him about it he assured me it was the right one. I then sent him a photo and the photo from his ad, pointing out the many differences.
He then replys, that it is what he advertised, even if the photo was wrong, and that it will fit, I just need to make a spacer and chop and extend the loom :rolleyes:

JohnBu
16th September 2008, 01:37 PM
I had a similar experience with a throttle body lately. I ordered one from the states. The seller sent me a totally different model to the one pictured. It was around 10mm bigger, and had the TPS on the other side!
When I asked him about it he assured me it was the right one. I then sent him a photo and the photo from his ad, pointing out the many differences.
He then replys, that it is what he advertised, even if the photo was wrong, and that it will fit, I just need to make a spacer and chop and extend the loom :rolleyes:

you should dispute it with EBay/Paypal..

daiflu
16th September 2008, 04:54 PM
I was going to, but I've been through disputes with ebay before.
I just gave him negative feedback and left it.
It was only $50 all up, so not really worth the effort.
He did offer to refund the purchase price ($25) if I sent it back to him (which would cost $25) :rolleyes: