PDA

View Full Version : lancer ralliart

JohnBu
15th September 2008, 04:40 PM
I don't usually post this.. but just had a read of this

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/225168/mitsubishi-ralliart-sportback.html

performance seems disappointing for a 175kW 4wd turbo lancer.

I know that Wraith was looking forward to this car when it reaches Aust, unless it fixed before it gets here, it may look like an anticlimax.

it doesn't appear to be the little brother of the Evo X it should have been.

i just love the Evo X.

lithium
15th September 2008, 05:45 PM
something has gone seriously wrong if that car takes 7+ secs to get to 100. maybe the reviewers didn't know you're supposed to launch those cars at 7000rpm like WRXs ;) go on, the clutch loves it ;)

i'm interested in seeing what the ralliart is like as well, once it comes here. it looks the goods on paper...guess we'll have to wait and see

JohnBu
15th September 2008, 05:51 PM
0-100 in 7 claimed!!!! ain't that bad as in gear matters more..

but...for all its claimed power the engine never really lets rip. You find yourself revving it to death to goad it along, easily done given the strange shortness of the intermediate gear ratios, and it’s much harder work than a torquey turbomotor should be

blame its tardiness on weight

lithium
15th September 2008, 06:00 PM
true, its no slug
but unfortunately for mitsu a standard wrx gets to 100 in under 6 seconds:dance:

it sounds really wrong that they had to rev a turbo motor with 350nm of torque like that. i guess it's a pre-production car they're testing and they might have managed to score a lemon...

JohnBu
15th September 2008, 06:06 PM
doubt it's a lemon as no manufacturer would put a known lemon in its press fleet.

DaveM
16th September 2008, 08:20 AM
true, its no slug
but unfortunately for mitsu a standard wrx gets to 100 in under 6 seconds

if 7 secs is how the final vehicle will be then its a poor effort especially giving the panning from the review in its cornering... a stock VXR does 0-100 in 6.5 or less.

Wraith
16th September 2008, 08:44 AM
I don't usually post this.. but just had a read of this

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/225168/mitsubishi-ralliart-sportback.html

performance seems disappointing for a 175kW 4wd turbo lancer.

I know that Wraith was looking forward to this car when it reaches Aust, unless it fixed before it gets here, it may look like an anticlimax.

it doesn't appear to be the little brother of the Evo X it should have been.

i just love the Evo X.

Interesting John, that's actually the 'sportback' version...

The new Mitsu Lancer's biggest problem is weight and the sportback is the heaviest of them all AFAIK, still achieving 7sec for a 1,560-1580kg or there abouts vehicle with 175kw is a pretty good effort, load up an Astra to that weight and see what it can do...;)

We'll have to wait for a similar review with the sedan variant of the ralliart, the sedan should also be priced lower.

Evo 10 variant is still the pick of the bunch if you can afford one, despite its weight, with minor mods it becomes seriously quick and it has that trade mark handling :)

Wraith
16th September 2008, 08:50 AM
if 7 secs is how the final vehicle will be then its a poor effort especially giving the panning from the review in its cornering... a stock VXR does 0-100 in 6.5 or less.

That's correct, but it weighs the better part of 200kg less and has a touch more power, so such a result would be expected, despite only being FWD ;)

Greg K
16th September 2008, 09:12 AM
spotted a new lancer ralliart evo yesterday... must say it didnt really grab my attention.. basically looked like a done up lancer (which it prob is!).

Wraith
16th September 2008, 09:30 AM
spotted a new lancer ralliart evo yesterday... must say it didnt really grab my attention.. basically looked like a done up lancer (which it prob is!).

I've got some pics (at home, can put em up tonight) of the ralliart as displayed earlier this year at the Melb. International motor show - that'll be what we get here in Aust. - and yes, except for the front end (ie: front bar and bonnet) it looks the same as the basic Lancers with the sport pack and spoiler options...but under the skin is where all the differences are with a turbo MIVEC and AWD :)

Agree though, it's a little uninspiring and even the Evo 10 is a bit of a let down...if only Mitsu had stuck to the original prototype layout, that would've been truly HOT !!!

JohnBu
16th September 2008, 09:51 AM
whats the sedan weigh?

rjastra
16th September 2008, 10:04 AM
Even the EVOX isn't all that fast in a straight line..

Seems the necessity to tune the engine for real world emissions has knobbled it.

bornwild
16th September 2008, 10:51 AM
The new series of Imprezas and Lancers is just horrible in general. Mitsu's double clutch gearbox is a shocker.

J
16th September 2008, 04:38 PM
Mitsu's double clutch gearbox is a shocker.

Hmm interesting BW. Is that from your own personal experience i.e. having driven it yourself? If so, can you please be a little more specific? Thanks :)

bornwild
17th September 2008, 08:53 PM
Hmm interesting BW. Is that from your own personal experience i.e. having driven it yourself? If so, can you please be a little more specific? Thanks :)

Of course not, just watch the new series Fifth Gear and you'll see what I mean. :)

A lot of other reviews say the same thing about their dual-clutch effort. :)

I wouldn't drive a Mitsu, wouldn't wanna be seen in one :p

Wraith
18th September 2008, 09:17 AM
whats the sedan weigh?

AFAIK Evo 10 with SST weighs in at around or just under 1,600kg...

I'm not sure if that's the 'common' spec or the U.S spec. though, U.S vehicles usually weigh 60-80kg more because of their ADR's they usually have heavier front, rear, top and side beams/intrusion bars adding weight...

I do know from the U.S Evo 10 forum that their Evo 10's are about 80kg heavier than the rest.

Ralliart sedan is lighter, but I don't have any info...

rjastra
18th September 2008, 09:23 AM
I'm not sure if that's the 'common' spec or the U.S spec. though, U.S vehicles usually weigh 60-80kg more because of their ADR's they usually have heavier front, rear, top and side beams/intrusion bars adding weight...

Maybe the US weights are realistic.... the Japanese figures always seem to be fantasy-land :) ANyone remember the latest Mazda 2 & 6 figures? From pre-release to actuality the cars packed on the kgs! Sorta like japanese horsepower.. they seem to have the smallest horses in the world - lol

Wraith
18th September 2008, 09:33 AM
Even the EVOX isn't all that fast in a straight line..

Seems the necessity to tune the engine for real world emissions has knobbled it.

Looking at all the numbers, it does what would be expected...

206kw - around 1,600kg = approx. 7.8kg/kw so around mid - low 6's to 100km/h sounds about right...

Also I don't think it's a case of emissions, more a case of more power offering for future models at minimum expense and component changes with the all new MIVEC powerplant over at least the next decade.

All manufacturers do this especially when they've spent a considerable amount of money developing and then mass producing a whole new engine, next model comes along, they just change the ecu tune and exhaust and have a new set of power/torque numbers at virtually no expense to the manufacturer.

This is evident in the Evo 10's MIVEC as a simple tune and exhaust mod can return a 100hp (75kw) and a 100nm gain...and all of a sudden, it's not so slow anymore ;)

Wraith
18th September 2008, 09:42 AM
Maybe the US weights are realistic.... the Japanese figures always seem to be fantasy-land :) ANyone remember the latest Mazda 2 & 6 figures? From pre-release to actuality the cars packed on the kgs! Sorta like japanese horsepower.. they seem to have the smallest horses in the world - lol

I believe it's actually the case.

I've seen on the Evo 10 forums pics of the added/thicker front and rear chassis impact bars on the Evo 10.

Another example is the new TTS which I've been researching - the U.S spec is 1,505/1,535 MT/DSG respectively and our spec. is 1,395/1415 MT/DSG...

Little wonder our TTS is as quick as the S5 !!!

I've got a test drive booked for next weekend of both cars, I'll write up a thread on the results.

Wraith
18th September 2008, 09:48 AM
The new series of Imprezas and Lancers is just horrible in general. Mitsu's double clutch gearbox is a shocker.

The one and only problem the SST has is overheating, due to an inadequate oil cooler...this is what causes it to 'play up'

Unless I'm mistaken Mitsubishi have solved/cured this problem with production cars :)

Evo 10's with SST are also already running BIG power and torque numbers with Japanese tuners and seem to coping just fine - info released by Mitsu has the SST rated at 470nm, but lots of modded Evos are running alot more torque than that and the SST is handling it well :)

lithium
18th September 2008, 10:28 AM
I've got a test drive booked for next weekend of both cars, I'll write up a thread on the results.

ah that should be interesting mate - looking forward to hearing your opinion :) i don't trust mag reviews

Wraith
18th September 2008, 12:41 PM
ah that should be interesting mate - looking forward to hearing your opinion :) i don't trust mag reviews

Thanks Lithium, but unfortunately my test drive will be very brief, compared to journos from mags which have the car for a whole day at least and run them on both street and track - so from that perspective, I'll only be able to comment from my brief exposure...

Still it should give me a good idea as to how the car/s sound, handle in general, but not at the limit, power/torque feel, how they go etc. but again just typical road going conditions.

They're Audis afterall and they're not going to let me rough em up or clock up too many km's :(

On the other hand, if it were Holdens, I'm 'pretty chummy' with the crew of a certain dealer and they let me fang the cars good and proper :)

With regards to the test drives of the Audis, I'm really only interested in the TTS, reason for also test driving the new S5 is because they told me the TTS is as quick or quicker and I'm not convinced, so we'll see how they both feel...although without lining them up side by side or using some form of measuring equipment to gain data, I'll have to rely on my 'seat of the pants o-meter' and gauge how quickly the needle spins to 100km/h to find out which is quicker or if the TTS does infact seem to be as quick or quicker than the S5...

Either way, I'm looking forward to it - both cars have interiors that are just so beautiful and I can't wait to sit in and drive them, might hit the ejection button, get rid of the Audi stealer riding along and take the TTS home :D

dieselhead
23rd November 2008, 08:48 PM
Had a look at the Ralliart sedan today. This thing is really tempting. To be honest, I don't care that much about the looks, would actually wish I could get a white one one looking bog standard Lancer. I'd rather have a fast car than that slips under the radar. I really love sleeper cars. Was thinking Alfa Romeo GTA in 2010, but who knows if it will ever be released or when it will get here. Plus, seeing how the Aussie Dollar goes down the toilet, I imagine Euro cars will get less and less affordable...

Now, if the RA's engine could be tuned to 300HP via remap and that stupid wing could be easily removed without affecting looks (holes in boot lid), warranty and insurance, then I'll buy one later next year. Not asking too much I hope :)
What do you guys reckon?

rjastra
23rd November 2008, 09:27 PM
Now, if the RA's engine could be tuned to 300HP via remap and that stupid wing could be easily removed without affecting looks (holes in boot lid), warranty and insurance, then I'll buy one later next year. Not asking too much I hope :)
What do you guys reckon?

Have you looked at the Oz dollar versus the Yen? All car prices are likely to rise in the long term

Wraith
24th November 2008, 01:09 PM
Car prices rising due to the poor Aust. dollar is indeed a given, but because of the lack of sales across the board these days, you can actually purchase a new car (all brands) for alot cheaper ATM !

I've been checking and enquiring across a wide cross section...

I've managed to so far get nearly 20k off the drive-away price of a 'fully loaded' Audi TTS or around 15k off a standard un-optioned example...those cuts would never have been possible only a couple of months ago and you can get 6-7k off the drive-away price of a VE SS or Ford XR6T ATM as well :)

It will be interesting to see what happens when and if the economy starts to move a little in the positive direction and our dollar is still at a low, as you guys have said, there could well be a sudden rise in prices - who knows how long this 'window of oportunity' will exist...??

Wraith
24th November 2008, 01:14 PM
Had a look at the Ralliart sedan today. This thing is really tempting. To be honest, I don't care that much about the looks, would actually wish I could get a white one one looking bog standard Lancer. I'd rather have a fast car than that slips under the radar. I really love sleeper cars. Was thinking Alfa Romeo GTA in 2010, but who knows if it will ever be released or when it will get here. Plus, seeing how the Aussie Dollar goes down the toilet, I imagine Euro cars will get less and less affordable...

What do you guys reckon?

I think what you've stated above is more than possible...

Just search around the web for forums/tuning shops on the type and you should find out for sure :)

Being that the case, either ATM or at least until the end of the 1st quarter of next year should be an optimum time to try and secure a good deal on one :)

Alot of the Japanese imports are 'piling up' at the docks due to poor sales, so dealers can really be pushed if your serious about buying ;)

rjastra
24th November 2008, 04:56 PM
People are buying new Commodore SS Wagons for 37K on road. The savings are out there to grab.

dieselhead
24th November 2008, 09:40 PM
People buying SS Wagons can keep them, I'm interested more in how the car corners that in the number of cylinders and engine cubic feet figures. At the rate these V8 things lose value the buyers need any penny they can save at the dealer. Have to admit though, 37K OTR is bloody amazing. Are you sure that's right?

However, getting back to the Ralliart: checked with a dealer today, fleet discount applies to these little nasties, too. Now they are $43k, right? That means by the time I'm ready to get one (probably January 2010) it should be available for about 36k OTR :) (allowing $2k price drop and the fleet discount). The war with the Rex should help pushing down the price a wee bit, too.
Who needs a GTI when you could get 220kW (after remap) and Evo AWD trickery for mere XR5 money? I don't.

Question is, what if Rudd starts the electric car revolution next week or something and ruin my EVO wannabe dreams?! Oh, no...

rjastra
24th November 2008, 10:09 PM
People buying SS Wagons can keep them, I'm interested more in how the car corners that in the number of cylinders and engine cubic feet figures. At the rate these V8 things lose value the buyers need any penny they can save at the dealer. Have to admit though, 37K OTR is bloody amazing. Are you sure that's right?

However, getting back to the Ralliart: checked with a dealer today, fleet discount applies to these little nasties, too. Now they are $43k, right? That means by the time I'm ready to get one (probably January 2010) it should be available for about 36k OTR :) (allowing $2k price drop and the fleet discount). The war with the Rex should help pushing down the price a wee bit, too.
Who needs a GTI when you could get 220kW (after remap) and Evo AWD trickery for mere XR5 money? I don't.

LOL... lot's of assumptions there ;) I am sure there will be something else that takes your fancy in the next 14 months :)

dieselhead
24th November 2008, 10:25 PM
Could be. But hey, I'm in no rush to buy another car since I love my Astra alright. You'd have to agree the Ralliart is fantastic value for money, though.

rjastra
25th November 2008, 09:33 AM
Could be. But hey, I'm in no rush to buy another car since I love my Astra alright. You'd have to agree the Ralliart is fantastic value for money, though.

Actually.. I think the updated WRX with leather/sunroof option (for the price of the Ralliart) is actually better value. But if I was buying a hottish hatch I would go for a Golf GTi. It just feels of a much higher quality than either of the japanses cars

JohnBu
25th November 2008, 10:10 AM
Actually.. I think the updated WRX with leather/sunroof option (for the price of the Ralliart) is actually better value. But if I was buying a hottish hatch I would go for a Golf GTi. It just feels of a much higher quality than either of the japanses cars

yeah agree the GTI feels a cut above.

i wonder if the Mk6 GTI will be of lower quality as VW have attempted to slash the construction cost of the MK6 Golfs.

having said that, the GTI is too expensive for what you get after you pay for VW's dealer delivery fee.

Shaun
25th November 2008, 11:28 AM
Of course not, just watch the new series Fifth Gear and you'll see what I mean. :)

A lot of other reviews say the same thing about their dual-clutch effort. :)

I wouldn't drive a Mitsu, wouldn't wanna be seen in one :p

And again TV is so correct. Just like the Magazines and News Papers....

You are just a brand snob arent you . Opel isnt the be all of end all. Its German Scum !!!! And i mean that in the nicest possible way....
As for the Rallyart Lancer Sedan and hatch are going to sell well if the pricing is right. Both are well apointed . The New lancer from the base model onwards are well built.

Bornsoft. you drive an Astra. Nothing worth writting home about really......

Wraith
25th November 2008, 01:01 PM

Question is, what if Rudd starts the electric car revolution next week or something and ruin my EVO wannabe dreams?! Oh, no...

I agree with what rj said in his posts...

Don't know about the SS wagons, but the sedans are around up to 7k cheaper - not for everyone, but for those who are after that kind of vehicle = lucky buggers ;)

If things are recovered or on the road to recovery by early 2010, then the kind of deals you can get ATM wont exist !

You can bet the car industry will be trying to make up for it big time and pricing may take a serious upward step across all brands/types...

I also think the Gti is a step ahead in quality, BUT that isn't the sole governing factor, if you want a Mitsu, then get the Mitsu, each to his own, for his own reasons :)

IMHO you'll no probs extracting 220kw from a ralliart, but just be aware AFAIK, you can also get around the same from the new Gti MK6's ;)

Also the ralliart 'does not' share the same AWD drivetrain as the Evo 10, it is a much less complicated and capable set up, but a good one none the less :)

Also be aware that economy/efficiency wise the ralliart will not score very well, the new MIVEC turbo engines are very thirsty little monsters :)

Wraith
25th November 2008, 01:05 PM
yeah agree the GTI feels a cut above.

i wonder if the Mk6 GTI will be of lower quality as VW have attempted to slash the construction cost of the MK6 Golfs.

having said that, the GTI is too expensive for what you get after you pay for VW's dealer delivery fee.

AFAIK John, the Golf Mk6 will have a simplified chassis and body construction, to save costs, interior quality/finish should be similar or better than the current model :)

rjastra
25th November 2008, 01:16 PM
AFAIK John, the Golf Mk6 will have a simplified chassis and body construction, to save costs, interior quality/finish should be similar or better than the current model :)

Thats what I have read, and it is supposedly even more refined than the current model. Something the japanese just dont seem to get right in their small cars (road/engine noise)