9th September 2008, 11:06 PM
very interesting :cool:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/16366/video-fifth-gear-gt-r-v-gt2/

poita
9th September 2008, 11:11 PM
was watching this earlier, not just any GP2 driver either

Wraith
10th September 2008, 09:30 AM
Well, well, surprise, surprise - tell us something we havn't already known for the past 9 months...

No matter who it is that reviews or test drives the R35 GT-R the result is consistant - it's a certified in stone winner !!!

Now all we need is for Mr Bornwild to come on and tell us, "no, no they got it all wrong again. the Porker is the better car and that's why it costs 3 times as much" :eek:

Buwahahahahahahaha :D

sadavidsriturbo
10th September 2008, 10:02 AM
R32 , R33 and R34s Gtrs have always been a good all rounder and great bang for buck but this new one they have really stepped it up its just a pity that the image and persona gets ruined by the crappy ones do you know if the R 35 will have gtt version like the older ones ? hope not

bornwild
10th September 2008, 10:12 AM
Err...the Porsche is the better car. It's just the price difference that makes the skyline appeal a lot.

Don't worry Ange, you'll be able to afford a Porsche...eventually ;) :p

Wraith
10th September 2008, 10:26 AM
R32 , R33 and R34s Gtrs have always been a good all rounder and great bang for buck but this new one they have really stepped it up its just a pity that the image and persona gets ruined by the crappy ones do you know if the R 35 will have gtt version like the older ones ? hope not

Very true - as you can see by Mr Bornwild's comments, he still hasn't learnt that this isn't a Skyline anymore :D it's simply a GT-R :)

As for models, there will only be the ultra hi-po V-Spec for now :)

Wraith
10th September 2008, 10:35 AM
Err...the Porsche is the better car. It's just the price difference that makes the skyline appeal a lot.

Don't worry Ange, you'll be able to afford a Porsche...eventually ;) :p

Seriously and I'm not kidding, if I had the better part of 3 or 400k which is what the top end 911's are worth to spend on cars, I would never go out and buy the Porker - you can quote me on that statement and take it to the bank - it is an overpriced POS compared to so many other cars out there, not just the GT-R ;)

The only over priced car brand, I'd go out and spend money on is certain Audi models and as you know brands like BMW now have some models that have justifiable price tags like the 135i, one of them I'd have anyday :)

bornwild
10th September 2008, 10:41 AM
Porsche's and Skylines are for different markets you see...Ever wondered why Porsche/Ferrari/Lambo don't even spend their time thinking about the Skyline? That's right, nobody cares. People who used to buy Porsches will still go buy Porsches(and don't link me to some Porsche US forum where people are converting to GTR...the way those people phrase their sentences alone proves they are 15yr olds who play too much Need for Speed).

The GTR is a nice car, no doubt. But you can't compare it to Porsche...nothing compares to Porsche.

ps. I still think the GTR32 is a much much better car than the new GTR.

lithium
10th September 2008, 10:58 AM
The GTR is a nice car, no doubt. But you can't compare it to Porsche...nothing compares to Porsche.

why not? it's just a badge mate ;)

i guess the GT-R doesn't have the prestige and breeding of a Porsche but dog darn it a sports car is not a member of the royal family. how good it is is *defined* by how well it drives...not the type of emblem it has on it

i could take a Porsche badge and glue it on my Barina. or an Opel badge and glue it on a Porsche.

just my opinion, don't mean any offense or anything :)

bornwild
10th September 2008, 11:01 AM
It's a bit like comparing Mike Tyson to Muhammed Ali....get me?

poita
10th September 2008, 11:07 AM
Ali being the GTR of course.

bornwild
10th September 2008, 11:14 AM
Ali being the GTR of course.

Maybe in another dimension?

lithium
10th September 2008, 11:14 AM
by that you mean brute force vs finesse? sure, Ali is prettier to watch
but then if Tyson fought Ali and knocked him out? which is what's happening here...

off topic, i used to box and didn't think Ali was all that great...just an athletic freak in the mold of Roy Jones Jr. both of them don't follow good boxing technique but were so fast, creative, powerful and above all had inhuman reflexes that noone could touch them :) watch Ali dodging a cross by pulling straight back, then compare to someone like Floyd Mayweather Jr - give me Mayweather anyday :)

anyway, judging by that video the 911 actually looks more fun to drive around the track than the GT-R - go the four wheel drifts. honestly what's in .3 seconds? and personally i don't have the skill to take either car to the limit, so both pretty awesome in my books

bornwild
10th September 2008, 11:17 AM
Exactly right. Porsche is a refined marque

As for Ali vs Tyson...Tyson wouldn't stand a chance(if we had a modern day Ali that is).

Just look how easily Lennox Lewis got the better of Tyson.

bornwild
10th September 2008, 11:22 AM
*goes to download Fifth Gear*

Hey, that's not the Porsche Turbo with the PDK?

lithium
10th September 2008, 11:25 AM
actually i never rated Tyson, so i agree an Ali with todays training/nutrition methods would have destroyed him

i'm sure you know Lewis beat a very old Tyson that could no longer move his head. i also think Lewis would have beaten Ali - he's a great fighter and very under appreciated. it would have been close but the Lennox is a huge man with sound fundamentals and a jab like a piston...eventually Ali would try to pull straight back from a jab and Lewis would bring a right cross crashing down onto his chin

anyway...back on topic :)

Wraith
10th September 2008, 11:39 AM
Porsche's and Skylines are for different markets you see...Ever wondered why Porsche/Ferrari/Lambo don't even spend their time thinking about the Skyline? That's right, nobody cares. People who used to buy Porsches will still go buy Porsches(and don't link me to some Porsche US forum where people are converting to GTR...the way those people phrase their sentences alone proves they are 15yr olds who play too much Need for Speed).

ps. I still think the GTR32 is a much much better car than the new GTR.

I have to disagree with you on that one and again with proven facts that I've mentioned numerous times on the GT-R thread...

Porsche and others are 'very' interested and 'very' concerned with this new GT-R ;)

That's why they've purchased several of them taken them back to their 'labs' and totally disected them to see exactly what it is that makes them tick and belive it or not - learn a thing or 2 as well !!!!!!!! there is a reason 911 and M3 sales have slumped over the past 9-12 months - so believe me they do care and have been affected by the R35 GT-R, not to mention the constant reviews and tests over the pst 9 months which constantly puts the 911 under the R35, do you seriously think this dosn't concern them ??? very nieve of you ;)

So who's leading who ??? and who are the 'actual' superior car maker ???

Remember also the fact that Nissan's parent company (Datsun) is among the oldest 3 car manufacturing companies in the World !!!

So you can't cough up one liners like, oh Nissan don't know what they're doing, because they don't have the pedigree, experience or being around as long as Porsche - that's all B.S !!!

FYI the new generation of 911's and other Porsche's will mimick alot of the GT-R's features, they have to even come close to matching up...

Porsche actually invented the 'automated manual' gearbox, but in their profound wisdom, never thought or believed they should equip their road cars with it, what a bunch of very smart people they are - not :rolleyes:

Now after everybody else has them and are proving so successful, they finally invent a name for one of their own (PDK) copy BMW and VW in giving it 7 gears and release it on their new 911 line up LOL...

Also in what way exactly is the R32 better than the new R35 - I'm totally baffled by that statement - in every which way known test or comparison the R35 is superior by a mega margin...

Not just performance, but everything - build technology, features, kit, finish, reliabilty, after sales service and anything else you can think of AND it's also more affordable than the R32 was when it was released !!!

Back in 1992 in an Aust. Nissan showroom an R32 was priced at 122k :eek:

In 2009 in an Aust. Nissan showroom, the R35 will be priced at 145k !!!

Are you serious, you think the R32 was the better vehicle ???

If your talking looks - that's subjective, each to their own, but I reckon most of the World would agree the R35 looks 10 times better than the R32 :)

immenotu
10th September 2008, 12:13 PM
The GTR is a nice car, no doubt. But you can't compare it to Porsche...

+1

I would personally choose a Porsche 911 Turbo over the GT-R any day of the week, actually the GT-R wouldn't even get a look in for me.

Sure it may have insane handling and power delivery etc. etc. etc. but thats not everything. It's just missing something, to me it just doesnt have the presence of a Porsche. I agree with bornwild, the Porsche and the GT-R are a totally different league of car.

Ill probably get flamed for this comment but IMO the GT-R isnt a supercar, its just a very quick Nissan. Sure there is a lot of technology in it and great bang for buck etc., but imagine what the next generation of supercars (i.e. Porsche) will be like having learned from the GT-R.

As for all this stuff with who's copying who, someone had to be first with this technology and it just happened to be Nissan, it doesnt necessarily make them better, just first. Of course Porsche is going to try and work out what makes the car tick, it would be stupid of them not to. Wait until they adopt some of the new technology and put out their answer to the GT-R and then see which is the better car.

sadavidsriturbo
10th September 2008, 12:31 PM
Very true - as you can see by Mr Bornwild's comments, he still hasn't learnt that this isn't a Skyline anymore :D it's simply a GT-R :)

As for models, there will only be the ultra hi-po V-Spec for now :)

good stuff nissan have produced lots of good sports cars over time but this new gtr is a beast im glad there not going to ruin the platform with other lower speck 35s

Wraith
10th September 2008, 12:44 PM
+1

I would personally choose a Porsche 911 Turbo over the GT-R any day of the week, actually the GT-R wouldn't even get a look in for me.

Sure it may have insane handling and power delivery etc. etc. etc. but thats not everything. It's just missing something, to me it just doesnt have the presence of a Porsche. I agree with bornwild, the Porsche and the GT-R are a totally different league of car.

Ill probably get flamed for this comment but IMO the GT-R isnt a supercar, its just a very quick Nissan. Sure there is a lot of technology in it and great bang for buck etc., but imagine what the next generation of supercars (i.e. Porsche) will be like having learned from the GT-R.

As for all this stuff with who's copying who, someone had to be first with this technology and it just happened to be Nissan, it doesnt necessarily make them better, just first. Of course Porsche is going to try and work out what makes the car tick, it would be stupid of them not to. Wait until they adopt some of the new technology and put out their answer to the GT-R and then see which is the better car.

Very good points and yes, because of the R35 the next generation of so called or so considered by some 'true supercars' will be better because of it ;)

That fact alone says it all...

And remember Nissan or the 'other' Japanese manufacturers arn't going to stand still either, they will continue to get better from here on (the next generation NSX and Lexus supercar will be the next major pain in the rear for the 'so called true supercar' makers to deal with LOL).

We could discuss/debate this one until the cows come home and die - simple fact is, the R35 is an undeniable pinnacle in performance motor car history and has become an instant legend and that cannot be changed :)

As for individual choices, hell yes, each to their own - if you want and can afford a 911 go for it :)

I too am seriously considering an Audi TT/S, which alot of people would say is a waste of money, but that car has that something special factor to it that makes me want it and that's what it's all about for us car enthusiasts, getting something that really makes your heart race and that you feel totally euphoric about :)

lithium
11th September 2008, 12:30 PM
well said...they're both bonzai cars and i think choosing between them just comes down to personal preference, and which one makes you feel a million bucks when you're driving it

i'm also looking forward to seeing what the established marques come up with as a response to the GT-R. and also looking forward to seeing them all get stomped by the v-spec ;)

Wraith
11th September 2008, 01:08 PM
well said...they're both bonzai cars and i think choosing between them just comes down to personal preference, and which one makes you feel a million bucks when you're driving it

i'm also looking forward to seeing what the established marques come up with as a response to the GT-R. and also looking forward to seeing them all get stomped by the v-spec ;)

Interesting thought - me too ;)

As for Porsche, they will be releasing their new '998' model 911 in 2010 (who can keep up with the 911 models and numbering ?? :rolleyes: )...so until then, we won't know, the V-Spec will have already been charging around ripping the heads off and taking dumps in the throats of all other supercars for 6-12 months by then :D

And it won't be for another 1 or 2 years after that we'll see the GT spec variants of the new 998...I'm sure they'll aim to have a GT-R and NSX and Lexus beater, but some things will never change and ie: the cost difference, at least in the case of the GT-R...although the V-Spec won't be a cheap monster to buy either...

Then if fast forward even further ahead Nissan will introduce a new R36 GT-R and oh boy, here we go all over again :D :D

bornwild
11th September 2008, 01:57 PM
Oh Ange...when I say the R32 is a better car I don't mean the technology nor the engineering behind it.

See, the thing with supercars is...they're meant to make you feel like you're 5yrs old and riding your bike for the first time...supercars are meant to recreate that feeling you had the first time you jacked off. The R32 does that for me just by looking at it.....lightweight, potent, amazing stance, you feel every revolution of the engine just by grabbing hold of the gearshifter...oh and the grip. Oh dear...

That's the problem with the R35 and the very reason it isn't a supercar...it has no spirit.

bornwild
11th September 2008, 01:58 PM
Nah Ange, once they release the current model turbo with direct injection and the PDK it's all over for the skyline. :)

Wraith
11th September 2008, 03:42 PM
Oh Ange...when I say the R32 is a better car I don't mean the technology nor the engineering behind it.

See, the thing with supercars is...they're meant to make you feel like you're 5yrs old and riding your bike for the first time...supercars are meant to recreate that feeling you had the first time you jacked off. The R32 does that for me just by looking at it.....lightweight, potent, amazing stance, you feel every revolution of the engine just by grabbing hold of the gearshifter...oh and the grip. Oh dear...

That's the problem with the R35 and the very reason it isn't a supercar...it has no spirit.

I understand with what your saying above and also agree ;)

So it's definitely a case of each to their own - I have never liked the look of the R32 myself, but always admired and respected what it could do, especially for the time frame - back in 1990 it created as much fear as the R35 is creating all over again now - unlike most people on here, I was around the car scene back then, even went into a Nissan dealership to check out the original Godzilla in the flesh and happen to spot 2 brand new ones on the roads (one in '92 and another in '93) - they were rare as......

And believe me, even back then the R32 could kick many a supercars butt of the time, just like the new R35 is doing now, only for the 1st time, the GT-R is refined and polished unlike ever before :)

I still think it's completely wrong though to keep saying things like "it has no spirit"...

It is a bonafied performance icon with a solid race history and pedigree all of its own and has a massive World wide following, any car with that stature has spirit, it may not have appeal and spirit and passion etc. with everybody, but it does posses them none the less ;)

bornwild
11th September 2008, 04:00 PM
I guess you're right, it's more a subjective thing. Ey. :)

I just watched the new fifth gear episode where they test the Porka GT2....unbelievable.

Wraith
11th September 2008, 04:43 PM
I guess you're right, it's more a subjective thing. Ey. :)

I just watched the new fifth gear episode where they test the Porka GT2....unbelievable.

Your are right, with all my constant praising of the GT-R, it isn't the car I'm most probably going to end up with anyway, I just love giving due credit where it's deserved ;) I'll most probably end up with a new BMW or Audi in the next 12 months, for much of those reasons you outlined :)

As for that vid, I havn't seen that, but I've read a 40 page comparo in 'drivers Republic' mag of the new PDK 7spd equipped 911 up against the Aston Martin Vantage (think it was) the Audi R8 and of course the R35 GT-R...

All else aside (as we can guess which was the winner) and speaking of the PDK equipped 911, they did say it's heaps better than previous models and it's all mostly due to the automated manual trans...as I've mentioned in an earlier post, it's about time Porsche introduced DSG type trans. in their cars ;)

rusole21
11th September 2008, 04:48 PM
Steve Jones took out targa west this year in his gtr. Detroyed lambos, porches, etc etc... Thing sounds naff tho! Not a good sound at all compared to the merciallago!!!!

rusole21
11th September 2008, 04:53 PM
+1

hahahaha crap! You clearly have never seen a r35 GTR in person have you. Figging hell mate! They are monsters! The rear brakes alone blew me away. I walked staight past a gt3 rs to look at it when i was spectating at targa. Porche is good, But frig they look bloody boring compared to the GTR.

Another thing. What is the difference in technology compared to the skyline mate? 6 cylinder- check, turbo charged- check, all wheel drive- check. You must think before making stupid calls mate. Just think

rusole21
11th September 2008, 04:58 PM

OMG. So youve driven one is that it? NO!! You have no idea aboiut it but you have formed an oppinion based on nothing.

bornwild
11th September 2008, 05:13 PM
It's based purely on looks. Read, then comment.

bornwild
11th September 2008, 05:14 PM
Which one you gonna get Ange?? TT or 135? 135 gets my vote :D

rusole21
11th September 2008, 05:26 PM
The R32 does that for me just by looking at it.....lightweight, potent, amazing stance, you feel every revolution of the engine just by grabbing hold of the gearshifter...oh and the grip. Oh dear...

It's based purely on looks. Read, then comment.
Yes.... Thats how i would describe looks:confused: :rolleyes:

All im saying is stop crapping on everything just because your oppinion based on "looks" is apperently meaningful.

immenotu
11th September 2008, 05:54 PM
hahahaha crap! You clearly have never seen a r35 GTR in person have you. Figging hell mate! They are monsters! The rear brakes alone blew me away. I walked staight past a gt3 rs to look at it when i was spectating at targa. Porche is good, But frig they look bloody boring compared to the GTR.

You walked past a GT3 RS to look at the GT-R, good for you :rolleyes: . Looks are personal taste, in my eyes the Porsche isn't boring at all, it is clean and sleek, exactly what i like in a car. When it comes to style and look, everyone is different. All i said was IMO the GT-R doesnt have the same presence as the Porsche, i dont give a rats about its rear brakes!

Another thing. What is the difference in technology compared to the skyline mate? 6 cylinder- check, turbo charged- check, all wheel drive- check. You must think before making stupid calls mate. Just think

You forgot that both cars have wheels, doors and an engine too :rolleyes:

Nissan have made a car faster than the Porsche, Porsche will now try and make a car faster than the GT-R. How do you think they do it, they advance the technology of the car.

Technology is more than the number of cylinders the engine has and if it has turbo's attached. Its how the car is engineered, how the computer systems interact, how the chassis is designed and constructed, how the suspension is set up etc. etc. etc. Nissan have obviously made advancements otherwise the car wouldnt be as good as it is. The whole auto industry is about advancing technology to make your car better than the rest.

I dont see how what i said was a 'stupid call', maybe you can enlighten me.

sooty
11th September 2008, 06:24 PM
3rd thread in a row where there's a huge disagreement, we're going well lol.
Everyone has their own opinion, and chances are you're not gonna convince anyone else by voicing it. If someone disagrees with you, you don't have to fight to the death about it, just ignore them.
That said, i'd go the glorified Datsun anyday. Who wants a car who's aesthetics have barely changed in the past 15 years, and looks the same driving backwards as forwards :p
I see a porsche on the road and think...hmmm....another knob from toorak has gone for a drive :rolleyes: ;)

bornwild
11th September 2008, 06:27 PM
I see a porsche on the road and think...hmmm....another knob from toorak has gone for a drive :rolleyes: ;)

Sif' that's any different with the GTR :p

HappySlapper82
11th September 2008, 06:36 PM
I'd like an R35, the only thing that bothers me is I don't want to pay for an engine rebuild every 80,000 km

bornwild
11th September 2008, 06:40 PM
I'd like an R35, the only thing that bothers me is I don't want to pay for an engine rebuild every 80,000 km

Whattt???

Now there's what I've always been talking about. A Porsche is built to withstand everything without a hickup. Nissan can't even do trackdays without having to go for a service right after :rolleyes:

And now this...engine rebuild....lol

Orion_996
11th September 2008, 07:02 PM
No offence to GTR fans, but im with bornwild all the way on this one. Porsche for me anyday. As great a car it is, it just cannot replace a porshce for me. Even if it was even cheaper than it is now. I'd rather get a lower base Porsche.

I grew up with Porsches, always looking at them, dreaming of them. I never even heard of a Skyline till 10 yrs ago when i came here. And even then, they couldn't (In base form) hold a candle to a Porsche. Now all of a sudden, they bring out a Porsche beater at a lower price. Yeah sure, all is fair, But 20 years of wanting a Porsche don't go away easy. And 40 years of a 911 tradition dont go away either.

I'm sorry but only one good release from Nissan where it beats a Porsche, cannot undo over 40 years of top notch performance from Prosche, strating with the 356s.

And wraith, with all that talk of now Porsche buying GTRs to reverse engineer them. Werent the GTR mules always accompanied by 911 turbos at the 'ring. Hmmm. Interesting that, I wonder why????

Last point, I have not driven either, and my opinion is not based on that. But for the god of me, I would not take GTR over a 911. Sorry for the essay, but thats my two cents.... aaand a bit more

Wraith
12th September 2008, 09:44 AM
Which one you gonna get Ange?? TT or 135? 135 gets my vote :D

Well here's one for you :)

BTW it's between the BMW 135i coupe and Audi TT/S coupe, not TT :)

135i wins o/a in terms of bang and value for money (comparatively speaking looking at these 2 cars)

TT/S wins o/a in terms of everything that makes you really desire a nice car, it has that wow factor and making your heart beat and is just such a drool machine to behold (I've seen/checked it out in the metal and going back for more this weekend)...

The TT/S is over 20k dearer, but just from my own comparisons of what it has over the 135i it makes up for at least 10-15k of the price difference...quality,finish, kit and build technology are in a different league compared to the Beemer and it has AWD and automated manual, which are 2 things I really want in a car and in my eyes is so much better looking than the 135i :)

Then there's what I will do in terms of additional options and mods/tune at purchase time and down the track - I've calculated I'll be spending a combined amount of well over 20k extra on the 135i to have it the way I'd like it...but even then, it still won't match the interior of the TT/S

Whereas on the TT/S the only thing I'll be doing/changing/modding is a tune - that's it and that will be around 2k max.

The TT/S comes with everything I want, full house, even the wheels (19's) and suspension (drops 1/2" in sport mode) are good enough...

hard choice...which would you go for - the more affordable and slightly higher performing one, or the dearer one that really makes your heart race :)

Wraith
12th September 2008, 10:00 AM

OK back on topic, I'd like to see factual info on this claim !!!

Material I've read from Nissan suggests the ceramic bore lining material will need to be re-applied at min. not max. 100,000km intervals 'subject' to the cars usage over that time...ie: if you constantly track/abuse the car, it may have to be done at 100,000km, if you drive the car in normal street fashion, with occaisional fangs, which would be 99% of us, you won't need it to be done for alot longer

Now 1st. we're talking about a bore re-lining, NOT and entire engine rebuild !

2nd. If this does happen to you within the 1st 3 years of ownership (ie: you clock up 100,000km or more) Nissan will perform this task free of charge !

Remember guys, this is a very high tech car and alot of its features will be incorporated in other cars of the future...lets see if there'll be any complaining from future Porsche owners when they have similar ceramic lined bores replacing steel sleeves and need to be maintained the same way ;)

The GT-R is not perfect - no car is, but damn it's one of the best vehicles created to date that comes close :)

bornwild
12th September 2008, 10:06 AM
Don't know Ange, the TTS does look good. I just checked it out on the net. I've never looked into these new TT modesl, don't know why.

I still reckon that powerwise it doesn't have anywhere near the same amount of potential as the 135.

Tough choice man.

ps. Isn't the new BMW smg available in the 135?

Wraith
12th September 2008, 11:39 AM
Don't know Ange, the TTS does look good. I just checked it out on the net. I've never looked into these new TT modesl, don't know why.

I still reckon that powerwise it doesn't have anywhere near the same amount of potential as the 135.

Tough choice man.

ps. Isn't the new BMW smg available in the 135?

Yes, true that on power of the 135i - but if you compare all the specs, the TT/S stacks up favourably in terms of power and performance :)

The 135i has 225kw/400nm and weighs just under 1,600kg, approx. 7kg/kw - performance is 5.2sec to 100km/h.

TT/S has 200kw/350nm and weighs just over 1,500kg, approx. 7.5kg/kw - performance is 5.2sec to 100km/h. TT/S has AWD advantage...

Simple tune to 135i (eg: JB3 piggy back) gives approx. 280-290kw/520-560nm - performance from cars I've seen so far with this average low 4's to 100km/h and mid 12's over the 1/4.

Simple tune to TT/S (eg: APR map) gives approx. 260kw/500nm - no performance figures yet, as car has just been released...but with AWD and the beefed up DSG able to handle at least 420-460nm, it should do similar to the 135i :)

I've spoken to APR and thay have successfully run 480nm on Gti DSG's with no reliability issues, the DSG in the new TT/S is a revised and strengthened unit, just like the 2.0ltr TFSI engine is, so it should be fine :)

Still a hard choice, comes down mainly to cost...if I mod the 135i it'll end up costing me just as much as the TT/S, hmmm TT/S looking better at this point :)

As for BMW and automated manuals - yes they're coming !

M3 already has 7spd 'DCT' (as they call it) option...

335i will have it as an option by the end of this year...

135i will get it in 2010...

BUT it will be a 4.5-7k option :eek:

With this considered, the TT/S starts looking even more attractive :)

bornwild
12th September 2008, 11:50 AM
You did your research mate.

From what you're saying, the TTS is the way to go. Can't believe the 2.0l unit has that much potential. Bloody hell.

You'll take me for a drive, yeah? :D Sweet, just call me when you get it :D

Wraith
12th September 2008, 12:21 PM
You did your research mate.

From what you're saying, the TTS is the way to go. Can't believe the 2.0l unit has that much potential. Bloody hell.

You'll take me for a drive, yeah? :D Sweet, just call me when you get it :D

Yes, it's a great improvement !

Current 2.0ltr TFSI - 147kw/280nm Borg Warner K04...simple tune potential - 196kw/410nm.

New 2.0ltr TFSI (S3 and TT/S + others to come) - 200kw/350nm stronger pistons and rods, stronger block, redesigned head, cam profiles and variable cam timing, new direct injection and fuel pump, Garrett GT28 roller bearing turbo...simple tune potential - 260kw/500nm.

Good as that is, it pales compared to the Mitsubishi 2.0ltr MIVEC in the Evo 10...206kw/422nm...tune potential without changing the turbo or opening the engine is well over 300kw/550nm :eek:

Evo 10's are already running 10sec 1/4 miles without having to strip/mod the engine - just tune, intake, exhaust...

Not sure what'll happen yet, what ever I end up choosing, the earliest will be mid next year - yes will be more than happy to take you for a spin and check it all out, no probs at all :)

Wraith
12th September 2008, 12:50 PM
3rd thread in a row where there's a huge disagreement, we're going well lol.
Everyone has their own opinion, and chances are you're not gonna convince anyone else by voicing it. If someone disagrees with you, you don't have to fight to the death about it, just ignore them.
That said, i'd go the glorified Datsun anyday. Who wants a car who's aesthetics have barely changed in the past 15 years, and looks the same driving backwards as forwards :p

"Looks the same driving driving backwards as forwards" hahahaha LOL I hadn't thought of that one before, but your right now that I think of it :D

Valid other points above too...still each to his own, one things for certain though, Porsche 911 drivers/owners are a die hard group or type of person, so much so that Porsche will not change the aging design/mechanical layout of the car, in fear that the typical 911 owner/buyer will revolt and not buy another !!! this is also the reason why the Cayman is purposely under equipped and detuned, to make sure it stays 'under' the 911, despite having the better basic mechanical layout platform from which to progess beyond the limits of the 911...

Lets see what happens down the track...

Oh and there are quite a few 911 owners around where my parents live in Brunswick and Coburg - maybe we can say another underworld crime figure from Brunswick or Coburg has gone for a drive :D