PDA

View Full Version : New Astra teaser

cdxi
9th September 2008, 03:33 PM
Here it is folks......

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/08/gm-gives-very-early-sneak-peek-at-next-gen-astra/

Calibrated
9th September 2008, 03:38 PM
LOL. what was that. there was nothing there!

poita
9th September 2008, 04:07 PM
the white outline reminds me of the new subaru

MatsHolden
9th September 2008, 04:16 PM
Love the lines of the 3 door...

USC
9th September 2008, 05:02 PM
Love the lines of the 3 door...

looks the same as current model...

Shaun
9th September 2008, 06:33 PM
Mark one Astra in the UK resmebles a Daewoo Cielo.
The Shape of the out line looks very nice. I Some of the old design has been carried over it seems... I like it alot.

bornwild
9th September 2008, 08:46 PM
Should be good.

Calibrated
9th September 2008, 09:48 PM
Mark one Astra in the UK resmebles a Daewoo Cielo.
mark 2 astra, and the other way around ;)

wishbone
10th September 2008, 08:40 AM
reveals a lot.

Wraith
10th September 2008, 08:50 AM
LOL. what was that. there was nothing there!

LOL yes next to useless :rolleyes:

Nice pic of an artistic silhouette outline - that's it...

Well if its exterior shape resembles that, it'll look nice...

So what are we talking about here - is this thing a friggin Daewoo ???

If so, what's happening with the Opel line up ??? are they going to delete the Astra range from their portfolio ??? can't be good for that company as the Astra has been their biggest success.

bornwild
10th September 2008, 09:04 AM
Opel won't be getting rid of it's best selling car anytime soon!!! :)

Wraith
10th September 2008, 09:12 AM
Opel won't be getting rid of it's best selling car anytime soon!!! :)

So are all these pics we've been seeing lately a Daewoo or an Opel :confused:

cdxi
10th September 2008, 10:13 AM
So are all these pics we've been seeing lately a Daewoo or an Opel :confused:

This teaser and any pics labelled "Astra" will indeed be the next gen Opel/Vauxhall Astra.

Anything you see labelled "Chevrolet Cruze" is Chevrolet/Daewoo.

Both are built on the GM Delta II platform - same hardpoints and basics. The Chev/Daewoo will be a "decontented" version. It is likely that Australia will get variations of both vehicles, both built in South Korea. The Cruze is likely to come here as a Viva (or perhaps renamed) and the Astra should remain badged as Astra in this market.

Think of the CG Captiva (Chev Cap in Europe, Daewoo Winstorm in SK, Holden Cap in Aus/NZ)

CG Captiva Maxx (Opel/Vaux Antara in Europe, Daewoo Winstorm Maxx in SK, Holden Cap Maxx in Aus/NZ, Saturn Vue in US)

Both are from the same platform, both built in SK but very different looking vehicles. Captiva was designed in SK Maxx designed in Germany.

Complicated....but simple, ain't it?

Wraith
10th September 2008, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the explanation ^^^ cdxi :)

bornwild
10th September 2008, 10:35 AM
Also, both use the same Delta2 platform but the platforms themselves will be made using different materials. Astra will use better materials making the chassis more rigid etc. whereas the Daewoos will use cheaper materials. Essentially making even the platforms completely different.

They will be completely different cars :)

Wraith
10th September 2008, 10:40 AM
Also, both use the same Delta2 platform but the platforms themselves will be made using different materials. Astra will use better materials making the chassis more rigid etc. whereas the Daewoos will use cheaper materials. Essentially making even the platforms completely different.

They will be completely different cars :)

That's interesting, what's the bet they'll sell for the same price in the end...what a a rip if we get the inferior Daewoo...

Lets hope we get the better Opel variant in Aust. although with the greedy bean counters at GMH, I doubt it :rolleyes:

bornwild
10th September 2008, 10:42 AM
If we do get the Astra, we will get the whole shabang...Opel's aim with their new line up is a more premium sector. Expect a price rise with the new Astra model.

The new Viva will be from Daewoo....nothing will change, don't worry.

Wraith
10th September 2008, 12:29 PM
Hope your right ^^^ price hike ain't good though...

digifish
10th September 2008, 02:13 PM
I just hope Australia gets the twin-turbo diesel on launch, cause I want one ...and I am never going back to petrol :)

cdxi
10th September 2008, 03:30 PM
If we do get the Astra, we will get the whole shabang...Opel's aim with their new line up is a more premium sector. Expect a price rise with the new Astra model.

The new Viva will be from Daewoo....nothing will change, don't worry.

There will be significant change and I think you will be surprised at the maturity in design and build quality of the next Delta II vehicles.

The Viva may well be manufactured with less "sophisitcation" in comparison with the more upmarket and expensive Astra, but it won't lack in terms of equipment, safety (5 star Euro NCAP will be achieved) and durability.

This new generation Delta II Cruze will compete head-on with all the established brands in the Euro market including Focus, 308, C4, Astra, Golf and others but will be priced in the same bracket as VAG's Skoda & Seat, Hyundai i30, Kia C'eed etc. This latter group is half-to-one generation behind the new GM platform so you can be sure the Cruze/Viva will at least be their equal.

We will all have to regroup our collective attitudes to GMDAT product in future. The current Barina, Viva and Epica are NOT indicative of what is to come. They are Daewoo designed platforms that have evolved from old GM input. The Captiva is 1st Gen GMDAT....a significant improvement and very competitive. Cruze and new Beat are 2nd Gen GMDAT and will be more than competitive in terms of quality, driveability, safety (crashworthiness), technology (6spd autos, ESP, emissions, fuel management) and equipment.

The only thing is that we will (in the GM economic rationalism plan) no longer receive Opel built mainstream product in Australia. Our Astra will come from SK - TwinTop probably from Europe (if it has a life in the next gen range)......Insignia (if given the nod for Aust) will be a niche product..........Corsa? Not a chance in Aust once the new generation Barina/Beat comes on line.

Will I trade my Vectra C for a new Gen Viva or Korean built Astra? My head says yes......not sure about the heart though. I'm gonna have to change my views the same way everyone else will once these cars come on line and prove their worth in the market place.

digifish
10th September 2008, 03:45 PM
There will be significant change and I think you will be surprised at the maturity in design and build quality of the next Delta II vehicles

Will I trade my Vectra C for a new Gen Viva or Korean built Astra? My head says yes......not sure about the heart though.

...but I want the Opel product. If they stop importing that I will switch back to VW from whence I came.

digifish

Wraith
10th September 2008, 04:02 PM
Hmmmm, GMDAT sounds ok from what you've described cdxi...

But I'll reserve final judgement until we see all these new products in the flesh, suppose we should at least be fair and unbiased until all is known.

Calibrated
26th September 2008, 12:26 PM
http://loadinform.com/2010-opel-astra/

Huhness
26th September 2008, 12:49 PM
http://loadinform.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/2010-opel-astra.jpg

http://static.blogo.it/autoblog/seat-ibiza-2008/seat_ibiza_01.jpg

Huhness
26th September 2008, 12:53 PM
http://loadinform.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/new-opel-astra.jpg

http://jalopnik.com/assets/resources/2008/04/2009-Seat%20Ibiza.jpg

imay
26th September 2008, 01:51 PM
We will all have to regroup our collective attitudes to GMDAT product in future. The current Barina, Viva and Epica are NOT indicative of what is to come. They are Daewoo designed platforms that have evolved from old GM input. The Captiva is 1st Gen GMDAT.....

I agree totally. Really no different to when Hyundai first started selling here in Oz. First (e.g. 1st gen Exell) models = crap; 2nd gen = better; current gen = all the bells and whistles, better build quality, retaining the 5 year warranty (that's how long they obviously expect them to last! with other manufacturers forced to follow suit), and most importantly at a price that people are prepared to pay for a reasonably good quality run-about.

We will have to wait and see what transpires . . . however, I'm still not a big fan of what is landing on our wharves at present from Korea. Having said that, some of the Euro manufacturers must (surely) be pretty concerned for their future in Oz car sales.

bornwild
26th September 2008, 11:22 PM
AutoExpress...LOL....they're 80% of the time full of shit.

Shaun
26th September 2008, 11:26 PM
AutoExpress...LOL....they're 80% of the time full of shit.

Just like your self......

tuzinski
26th September 2008, 11:30 PM
Just like your self......
roffle

bornwild
26th September 2008, 11:43 PM
Noice one Shaun ;)

Astra VXD
27th September 2008, 06:47 AM
I just hope Australia gets the twin-turbo diesel on launch, cause I want one ...and I am never going back to petrol :)

Twin Turbo??

i'm intrigued, please explain :D

Steve

bornwild
27th September 2008, 10:57 AM
Twin Turbo??

i'm intrigued, please explain :D

Steve

The 140kW twin turbo diesel that's just been announced for the Insignia :D

Astra VXD
27th September 2008, 06:11 PM
hmmm, engine conversion......

i was thinking about it but not many engines i have found that i would put in it.

think they will make one for the Astra?

Ano the 1.9CDTi (150) have been a VERY successful engine for the Astra, so i think it is only time before they put a bigger engine in the Astra along the diesel lines.

Steve

MatsHolden
27th September 2008, 09:52 PM
http://loadinform.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/2010-opel-astra.jpg

Those are pretty old... and they're artist's impressions which basically just take a little bit of this and a little bit of that of current styling trends and mix them together and all of a sudden there's the new Astra. Lol

Huhness
29th September 2008, 01:15 PM
when i saw the pictures all i could think of is seat.. :rolleyes: