PDA

View Full Version : NSW: Car repair bills differ by suburb

btm
8th September 2008, 11:04 AM
Thought this was pretty interesting...

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24309358-5007132,00.html

MOTORISTS in some suburbs are being slugged double for routine car repairs than others, depending on their postcode.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal hard-pressed motorists in Parramatta are paying twice as much than those in Surry Hills.

And the wealthy waterfront suburbs of Woollahra and Manly offer cheaper mechanical work than Blacktown, Parramatta and Liverpool.

Consumer watchdogs believe labour costs are jacking up the bill, but mechanics say it's the price you pay for quality parts.

Of the 640 complaints made to the Office of Fair Trading in the past financial year about vehicle repairs, 44 related to costs and 360 were about costs and standards.

Southwest Sydney mother Tahnee Bouckaert, 22, searched Sydney for a service for her car as part of a Daily Telegraph investigation and found the Western Suburbs were among the most expensive: "There was a huge difference in pricing. It would cost twice as much for a service in Parramatta than in Surry Hills.

"It came to $600 in Parramatta and $300 in Surry Hills for basic mechanical work. The mechanics really couldn't explain to me why there was such a massive difference."

Ms Bouckaert, who recently moved to NSW from Queensland, also asked for a blue slip which is required to change her registration. Even that inspection varied from $50 to $80, while a regular registration check was just $31.70 at all mechanics.

Motor Traders Association boss James McCall said the price differences were an indication of a competitive market: "Like plumbers, electricians or hair dressers there is a wide variety of pricing with mechanics."

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm93/btm_photo/whatyouwillpay.jpg

JohnBu
8th September 2008, 11:15 AM
that's very poor reporting. very few details, i.e. what parts were they using?

that major service from surry hills seems too cheap!

anyway ppl, thats a lesson to get a quote done on any work, before you bring the car in.

DirtyHarry
8th September 2008, 11:44 AM
yeah funny that, you would think that in south west sydney it would be cheaper because there is an abundance of mechanics and smash repairers.

btm
8th September 2008, 11:52 AM
that is what i would have assumed too!

sadavidsriturbo
8th September 2008, 12:37 PM
that's very poor reporting. very few details, i.e. what parts were they using?

that major service from surry hills seems too cheap!

anyway ppl, thats a lesson to get a quote done on any work, before you bring the car in.

I know its the opposite on the report but-
my mate uses an Asian mechanic from the Bronx of Adelaide (Athol park) yeah he is probably the cheapest around, but as you said what parts are being used? I know he will even use second hand parts then you go some where else and they will only use genuine or eqvialant. Generaly cheep area = cheep cars / quality and nice area = nice cars its kinda obvious just another reporter with nothing to write about i think

lithium
8th September 2008, 01:29 PM
agreed, i would have expected south-west to be cheaper because there's so many mechanics. i count at least five within two blocks of my workplace

slightly off topic, in the major service category what's a 'tune-up' supposed to be?

charging $366 dollars to screw a few filters and spark plugs on and off is pretty expensive, but then again, mechanics are people who eat and pay the mortgage too :)

lithium
8th September 2008, 01:37 PM
I know its the opposite on the report but-
my mate uses an Asian mechanic from the Bronx of Adelaide (Athol park) yeah he is probably the cheapest around, but as you said what parts are being used? I know he will even use second hand parts then you go some where else and they will only use genuine or eqvialant. Generaly cheep area = cheep cars / quality and nice area = nice cars its kinda obvious just another reporter with nothing to write about i think

i'm ok with mechs using second hand parts for some components as long as they tell you they are doing so. a good mechanic can tell good second hand parts from bad ones

the power steering on my Barina is from a wrecker...it was either that, or pay Holden $2600 for a new one :eek:

also non-geninue is not always bad. there are many cases where the OEM part is bad quality, such as the OEM Sagem 1.8L coil packs in an Astra. or an extreme case on 206 pugs where OEM installed parts damage the computer and you need a non-geninue to fix the problem:

http://www.carclinicmagazine.com/peugeot_206__306_1_4_litre_ecu.html

9090GO
10th September 2008, 05:41 PM
um...............

Wraith
12th September 2008, 05:01 PM
Yep, old news...

You do know it's the same with car insurance also ;)

Wraith
12th September 2008, 05:04 PM
i'm ok with mechs using second hand parts for some components as long as they tell you they are doing so. a good mechanic can tell good second hand parts from bad ones

the power steering on my Barina is from a wrecker...it was either that, or pay Holden $2600 for a new one :eek:

also non-geninue is not always bad. there are many cases where the OEM part is bad quality, such as the OEM Sagem 1.8L coil packs in an Astra. or an extreme case on 206 pugs where OEM installed parts damage the computer and you need a non-geninue to fix the problem:

http://www.carclinicmagazine.com/peugeot_206__306_1_4_litre_ecu.html

Also agree with the above - but you do have to be careful and it certainly helps if your grease monkey is a) 100% honest and b) 100% competent :)