PDA

View Full Version : *Caution - New Member!*

VFRBoy
3rd September 2008, 10:45 PM
Hi everyone,

Just new here, I found this forum while troubleshooting my 98 Vectra Wagon (JB F35 X). Now has 110,000km on it.

I think it's a great car but it has cost me a packet in the year I've owned it. Clutch collapsed, starter motor imploded, cracked exhaust manifold and most recently a head gasket let go. It's almost sorted now, I'm sure...

So, what can you guys tell me about poor fuel economy and the random stalling at idle?

I've read up on the IAC valve for the stalling, but is the oxygen sensor also up for a look for the excess fuel consumption?

Also, what fuel do you burn? A very good engineer I know swears by the United 95E10. I use BP 95 in my bike (Honda VFR800) and love it. So far have just been using Shell 91 in the Vectra.

I look forward to your input!

VFR Boy

poita
3rd September 2008, 10:50 PM
Welcome to the forum VFR, there are plenty of guys on here who should be able to help you out.
Post up some pics of your veccy when you get a chance :)

As for your fuel, I refuse to use ethanol in any of my cars, not convinced yet.
I use BP ultimate in everything, even my lawn mower lol

Dee
4th September 2008, 07:16 AM
ohh sweet, whatever the answer is to this will help stu with his 98 veccy b stalling....

GodsKnight
4th September 2008, 07:29 AM
Hi Mate and welcome

The engine that your running is known for stalling at idle i have the same problem and hoping to sort it out this coming weekend.

I think (after reading lots of material) the problem lies in the throttle body being filled with mess: check this out http://www.cavweb-forums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=24391.

anymore problems mate just post any questions in our vectra section

cheers mate.

GodsKnight
4th September 2008, 07:31 AM
I use BP ultimate in everything, even my lawn mower lol

lol! set of extractors and full throttle body installed yet?

SKM_87
4th September 2008, 08:58 AM
clean your tb and idle control. pull it right off and really go through it. ex fuel - hego sensor, leaky injectors, driving style

InsaneAsylum
4th September 2008, 09:06 AM
how do you define excessive fuel consumption?

i have a vectra B 2.2L and average around 500-600kms out of the 60L tank

btm
4th September 2008, 09:17 AM
welcome to the site buddy

i use BP Ultimate in my ride, i find it gives me the best performance and mileage

where abouts are you located mate?

GodsKnight
4th September 2008, 09:39 AM
how do you define excessive fuel consumption?

i have a vectra B 2.2L and average around 500-600kms out of the 60L tank

best I have done is 720 on 60L tank not sure what was doing car was on like steroids or something...though that was mostly highway k's

btm
4th September 2008, 10:24 AM
best I have done is 720 on 60L tank not sure what was doing car was on like steroids or something...though that was mostly highway k's

i've done that with my tank :)

InsaneAsylum
4th September 2008, 01:24 PM
yeah if you do a lot on hwy kms the vec can do 700+ to a tank

Tfer
4th September 2008, 09:20 PM
Welcome to Opelausfromafellow Veccy owner... enjoy your time here

VFRBoy
4th September 2008, 09:52 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks very much for the welcome and the advice - I will be seeing to the throttle body and the IAC Valve on the weekend. Need to buy some carby cleaner and a paper clip! Oh, and a new toothbrush :D

By excessive consumption I mean >10L/100km. I was getting just 400k/tank but there was a cracked exhaust manifold, so not unexpected in the circumstances. Now that is fixed, but hasn't gone back to what it was.

Now with the 60L tank I usually fit 55L in when the red light starts flashing, and this is usually around 500k. Too heavy in my mind - the book says to expect 6.5-9.5L/100km.

A mate has a 5-series (E34) and gets better than 10/100 around town and that's a much heavier car with a 2.5 straight-6 in it, and my old 3.0 V6 929 used to do 11-12/100. I got the veccy as it would be cheaper to own and run..

It doesn't get thrashed - I suspect the oxygen sensor may be playing up? Maybe the breather hole in the throttle body has something to do with it?

I'll let you know,

VFR

nuggz
4th September 2008, 10:22 PM
my old 2.2 ran only Mobil Premium 95
a tank would never be less then 600k's with a mix of freeway and thumping around on the roads - had it up to 780k's off one tank once

make sure you've got clean oil, air filter, good tyre pressure should help the k's along