PDA

View Full Version : How do i get the exhaust pop?

GreyRex
3rd September 2008, 10:09 PM
I saw this asked elsewhere, but I thought I would ask everyone's opinion here:) .

Is it the full exhaust system which gives u the pops/crackles, or is it just the downpipe??

I'd love to get my Turbo to pop more, without spending money on a new exhaust, and having it too loud

Is the downpipe involved with noise and/or the popping?

OPC
3rd September 2008, 10:18 PM
ive only ever heard of the VXR's popping with the full remus system

so the answer would be full system down pipe and all

kabel
3rd September 2008, 11:10 PM
Same question was asked on a UK forum today.......GET A MILLTEK !
Sorry...................the answer was given as replacing the downpipe
But personally I do not know myself. :dance:

MatsHolden
3rd September 2008, 11:11 PM
Basically the popping is always there, just getting a louder exhaust amplifies the pops which is unburnt fuel burning in the exhaust.

CNBLU
3rd September 2008, 11:14 PM
mine pops breakfast lunch and dinner.

3" Turbo back

GreyRex
3rd September 2008, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the pm kabel. So can you just replace the downpipe and leave the stock exhaust? I'm just playing with ideas.

I seem to remember TTEETT did something similar:

http://www.opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10299&page=2

does that result in a tiny bit of power, and a bit more noise?

I really dont want a new exhaust system

CNBLU
3rd September 2008, 11:33 PM
Pretty sure John Bu has got just the dump pipe without the exhaust.

Should help spool the turbo quicker and it does add a nice note.

KingOfAstras
4th September 2008, 12:32 AM
What about popcorn in the resonator :D?

nz-sri
4th September 2008, 06:54 AM
Ive just got standard AH exhaust but changed the down pipe and it pops going up or down a gear , dont knowif it made a lot of power but def comes on boost quicker .

SSS_Hoon
4th September 2008, 07:32 AM
mine pops breakfast lunch and dinner.

3" Turbo back

yep same same.

Mine also backfires at times to hehe scares the shit out of others at times too hehehe.

i found the sweet spot in mine to do it, its around the 2000rpm mark.

SSS_Hoon

wishbone
4th September 2008, 08:11 AM
ive heard poppingin my 1.8l its a full exhaust

glider
4th September 2008, 08:19 AM
mine pops out of 2nd some times, 2" mild catback

Apex
4th September 2008, 08:23 AM
Yep, decat down pipe.

It will give you a bit more noise and a pop when changing gears.. anything main ca back is a waste of money.

lithium
4th September 2008, 10:32 AM
Basically the popping is always there, just getting a louder exhaust amplifies the pops which is unburnt fuel burning in the exhaust.

+1 :)
if you want to hear the pops get a louder exhaust
or if you really really want to hear pops and bangs get a remap and tell them to make your engine run rich on the overrun ;)

not sure if changing the downpipe alone would do it...mine pops on compression-deceleration but its a 1.8L NA with a full system

Wraith
4th September 2008, 10:46 AM

+ 2

This is correct...

This is a bit like those "how do a I get the DOSE happening man" ?? threads :rolleyes:

Well I suggest other methods, once again taking Clarksons advice for making a good BOV sound, a couple of captive squirrels stuffed into the muffler may give you all the pops you want - only they won't last too long, maybe breed em :D

Seriously though, as suggested above, try richining up the fuel/air mix, or advance the timing to the point of detonation, that'll get lots of exhaust pops happening ;) or maybe try putting a series of holes in strategic locations along the exhaust pipe...

CNBLU
4th September 2008, 03:32 PM
+ 2

This is correct...

This is a bit like those "how do a I get the DOSE happening man" ?? threads :rolleyes:

Well I suggest other methods, once again taking Clarksons advice for making a good BOV sound, a couple of captive squirrels stuffed into the muffler may give you all the pops you want - only they won't last too long, maybe breed em :D

Seriously though, as suggested above, try richining up the fuel/air mix, or advance the timing to the point of detonation, that'll get lots of exhaust pops happening ;) or maybe try putting a series of holes in strategic locations along the exhaust pipe...

i love those threads:D

lithium
4th September 2008, 04:15 PM
it's a pretty old article, but you might find listening to the sounds on these helpful:

http://autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=0383&P=1

to clarify i shouldn't have said you need a 'louder' exhaust. you just need to change one or more of your mufflers to a type that will let the crackle through. however, generally these mufflers are louder than stock

i suspect it happens more often with a full system because freeing up the exhaust often causes an engine to run rich, unless you get it remapped

EuroSRi
4th September 2008, 04:43 PM
All it is is fuel igniting in the exhaust

Its happening at standard....just cant hear it because of the stock system

Go a full 3 inch with turbo muffler and dare i say it (no cat) and you will hear it all day long.

Whenever the car over fuels there is a chnce of it happening.

If the car is MAF sensored and you're running an atmo BOV, it will backfire on opening of the blow off valve and during over run, due to the computer putting in fuel for the air that was dumped by the blow off valve...which means in the end the mixture becomes rich...

Senor Ed
4th September 2008, 05:49 PM
Mine pops with the standard exhaust.

I likey....

GreyRex
4th September 2008, 11:57 PM
+ 2

This is correct...

I'm not trying to be a wanker;) . As i said, I don't want a loud exhaust... all i wanted to know was if it's possible to increase what's already there, and what options were available.

Both people who have only changed the downpipe (and left stock exhaust)... have commented that it has made some difference. If i can get away with spending $200ish (or however much one is) on a downpipe, rather than $1000+ on an exhaust system I don't want or need... then for me it might be worth considering.

CNBLU
5th September 2008, 12:01 AM
Think you'd be looking around $400 for a custom one Ben.

Apex
5th September 2008, 07:55 AM
I'm not trying to be a wanker;) . As i said, I don't want a loud exhaust... all i wanted to know was if it's possible to increase what's already there, and what options were available.

Both people who have only changed the downpipe (and left stock exhaust)... have commented that it has made some difference. If i can get away with spending $200ish (or however much one is) on a downpipe, rather than $1000+ on an exhaust system I don't want or need... then for me it might be worth considering.

Ok, fitting a de-catted down pipe on the AH SRI-T makes a considerable difference over fitting a cat back and is cheaper, im not sure if the old TS is different but that is how it is on the AH.

Both Steve (NZ-SRI) and I fitted them not long after getting our Astra’s and can assure you you’ll be very happy with fitting one of these as opposed to a cat back fart cannon as from what you have stated you don’t want the car sounding like a droney piece of crap.

We got ours from LMF in England and from memory (this is going back) they were about $200NZ in a group buy.

JohnBu
5th September 2008, 09:36 AM
I also have one from LMF.

Can't remember what I paid for it..

but it was a worthwhile mod.. seems to spool up quicker,

I didn't get a full exhaust, as other members didn't get any significant gains from the exhaust alone (others felt they went backwards). not to mention the fact it the noise of the typical exhaust 24/7 will annoy the hell out of me when i'm stuck in traffic driving to the city.

GreyRex
6th September 2008, 06:18 PM
Well it looks like im going to start with the downpipe... see how i feel about that then take it from there

Is anyone able to tell me who LMF is or how to get one?
:)

CNBLU
6th September 2008, 11:07 PM
www.lmfvauxall.co.uk (http://www.lmfvauxall.co.uk)

xplosv57
7th September 2008, 07:04 PM
www.lmfvauxhall.co.uk (http://www.lmfvauxhall.co.uk)

that link works...

GreyRex
7th September 2008, 08:05 PM
I'm guessing i'd be looking at the 63mm/2.5" Pre-Cat replacement pipe?

http://www.lmfvauxhall.co.uk/store/home.php?cat=1590

GreyRex
10th September 2008, 06:57 PM
I'm guessing i'd be looking at the 63mm/2.5" Pre-Cat replacement pipe?

http://www.lmfvauxhall.co.uk/store/home.php?cat=1590

Is anyone able to confirm for me?

What size fits a stock AH Astra Turbo?

Dave
11th September 2008, 04:23 AM
My 1.8L na Astra used to pop ALOT, both up and down gear selection. Though you could replace the pop crackle pop pop pop pop purr pop cracly on the down change to a nice rev and one loud pop by blipping the go peddal.

But my cars gone now, dam i miss it.

The cat was fine btw, all i had was a catback 2.1/4 inch straight through to a lukey sports glass pack rear box. Wasnt overly loud or droney. Had a very nice note, and the pitch actualy changed with rev's. wasnt just one loud droney noise like you hear.

digifish
11th September 2008, 01:32 PM
...when we are all driving electric cars you guys are not going to cope well :p

Wraith
11th September 2008, 01:44 PM
...when we are all driving electric cars you guys are not going to cope well :p

BWAHAHAHAHAHA :D :D

"Hey, how to I get this electric thingy to dose n pop" HAHAHAHAHAHA :p

Last laugh might be on me, as someone may just figure out how to do so :eek: although I reckon a CD with a sound track recording of doses and pops will do the trick playing as you drive along LOL :D :p

digifish
11th September 2008, 01:47 PM
BWAHAHAHAHAHA :D :D

"Hey, how to I get this electric thingy to dose n pop" HAHAHAHAHAHA :p

Last laugh might be on me, as someone may just figure out how to do so :eek: although I reckon a CD with a sound track recording of doses and pops will do the trick playing as you drive along LOL :D :p

We will have to do what we did as kids, peg flaps of cardboard against the wheel spokes to make a satisfying Braaaaaaaaap sound :)

Wraith
11th September 2008, 04:08 PM
We will have to do what we did as kids, peg flaps of cardboard against the wheel spokes to make a satisfying Braaaaaaaaap sound :)

LOL I'm guilty of doing that too :o but hey when your under 10 it's excusable :D

Me and my mates even had fizzing fireworks going off on our push bikes LOL :D

These days the grown up boys go for the zorst flamers and burn up the whole rear of the car HAHAHAHAHA LOL, surprised no one here has asked that question yet, ie: "how do I get the exhaust flaming" :D

Surely the exhaust poppers and the turbo dosers want some zorst flames happening as well :D :p