PDA

View Full Version : How many KWs is this car?

Taffy
31st August 2008, 09:02 PM
Perhaps some dumb questions coming your way...

But how many KWs is this car (http://www.tradingpost.com.au/is-bin/intershop.static/WFS/Sensis-TradingPost-Site/Sensis-TradingPost/en_AU/UserImages/IMPEX_IMAGES_NDS/nds_4633/W463338994072/Resized/Resized330x235_W463338994072_A.jpg) ? - Astra CD (did search Google but there are too many versions)

I really like the look of these Astras, but would it be any faster than a 1.8 Barina SRi? I see that they are both 1.8 litres, so I'm guessing that the Barina would be faster because of the weight difference...Or maybe not that simple.

CNBLU
31st August 2008, 09:12 PM
The barina would be faster only because of its weight

auzvectra
31st August 2008, 09:34 PM
yes the barina would be faster due to the weight difference, but it wouldnt be much in it.
ok, just looked at the pic then. that model is slightly heavier again, so deffinately the barina, also being a sri barina, it has extra's ova the astra including body kit ect...
also the barina can be tuned easily to make it quicker again ;).

Taffy
31st August 2008, 09:41 PM
Thanks guys...I'll hold out until I can afford the Astra SRi !!

lithium
31st August 2008, 11:03 PM
i think those astras will get you to 100 in about 10 seconds....a Barina SRi gets you there in about 9 seconds. but the Barina is way more fun because its so tiny and come factory lowered :cool:

the Astra SRis are a little faster again...0-100 in just under 9 seconds but will feel faster as it has scads more torque than the 1.8s

either way you go, won't be disappointed :)

edit: i just looked at the pic, thats an Astra H which is a bit of a porker...will be quite a bit slower than the previous generation of Astra. 105 kw (i think) and gets to 100 in mid tens?

bornwild
1st September 2008, 12:26 AM
Astra H = better handling(depending which model)

Barina SRi = quicker off the mark

cbrmale
2nd September 2008, 07:15 PM
edit: i just looked at the pic, thats an Astra H which is a bit of a porker...will be quite a bit slower than the previous generation of Astra. 105 kw (i think) and gets to 100 in mid tens?

Up until MY7.5: 92kw, 0-100 in the low elevens (autos in the high elevens). MY7.5 onwards are 103kw and 0-100 in the low tens (it doesn't have much torque). Current model 1.8 autos are in the high tens.

ASTRAY
2nd September 2008, 07:33 PM
this is what ive learnt off here on the forums,
the ts (98-2005) astras and ah 2005-mid 2007) have exactly the same 1.8L engine.

the ah astra weighs more than the ts astra and will be a little slower.
after mid 2007 the ah got a bit more power to make up for the extra weight.
i dont know if its enough to make up completely for the extra weight or not.

the sri barinas have exactly the same engine as the 1.8L astras. dunno about after mid 2007 though.
i figure the sri astras get the same engine as a 4cy vectra (just a guess)

i know what ive just said is pretty much what others have said in this topic, im just adding a little extra and hopefully making it a little more understandable. :D

feel free to correct me if im wrong with anything.

auzvectra
2nd September 2008, 07:48 PM
nope the sri astra and the veccy's 4cyl's are completely different ;).
the astra sri is the Z22SE with 108kw
the Veccy has C20SEL 100kw
and the C22SEL with 104kw
yes the barina sri and the astra 1.8L both have 92kw (on 95ron)
up until tthe end of barina sri in 05 and the astra ts from about 98 till 05 (some 98-00 models had the lesser power 85kw X18XE1) and the ah from 05 till 07.5 then they go the upgraded Z18XEL (i think it was L on the end).

the barina sri had an upgrade/facelift in 04.5 which also gave it canbus, but kept the same motor.

lithium
3rd September 2008, 10:31 AM
XER i think

from what i've read it's almost identical to the XE except that it has variable cams, which gives it better breathing up top and the extra 9kw. which i've been told isn't very noticeable in every day driving due to, as mentioned above, the torque remaining the same as the XE but gaining 150 odd kg :(

Ice
3rd September 2008, 11:17 AM
The barina would be faster only because of its weight

Depends on the driver ;)

SSS_Hoon
3rd September 2008, 11:23 AM
Depends on the driver ;)

or the barina in question? ;)

But seriously who buys a car just bcoz of the amount of KW's it has?

Did anyone here actually buy thier car bcoz of the KW it has? I serioulsy doubt any of you will say yes, as i know i sure as hell didnt.

SSS_Hoon

Ice
3rd September 2008, 11:55 AM

Did anyone here actually buy thier car bcoz of the KW it has? I serioulsy doubt any of you will say yes, as i know i sure as hell didnt.

SSS_Hoon

haha thats true !

ide not be driving a stock 1.8 because of it.

I bought one A: because my folks bought a new SRi in 2002 and loved it. B: A good mate of mine bought a silver SRi and followed that with an arden Blue Turbo. C: I love the European look and feel of them when opelized ;) d: good value for money E: its not a commondore.

poita
3rd September 2008, 12:42 PM

SSS_Hoon

so true, i would of bought the SR20 SSS pulsar wagon i was looking at instead.

Taffy
3rd September 2008, 04:34 PM

SSS_Hoon

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I already own the Barina SRi.

The reason I was asking was because I like my SRi...but, I want something a tiny bit bigger in size...however I don't want to change cars if I end up with something that's slower than what I've already got.

Not that I really drive fast or anything, but the Barina always comes in handy when some idiot tries merging in to me (close eyes and push accelerator to the floor).

auzvectra
3rd September 2008, 04:46 PM
haha, then u really want an astra g sri then ;). or sri-t ;).

EL BURITO
3rd September 2008, 04:47 PM
92kw

glider
4th September 2008, 08:14 AM
haha, then u really want an astra g sri then ;). or sri-t ;).

+1

the G has buckets of room. but you'll have to get used to the doors long enough to be wings (3dr) and less rear visibility, coz of a cleverly placed rear wing

auzvectra
4th September 2008, 05:24 PM
i like the rear wing, blocks out the headlights of dumb ass's behind that have their highs on :D

daiflu
4th September 2008, 08:18 PM
Not that I really drive fast or anything, but the Barina always comes in handy when some idiot tries merging in to me (close eyes and push accelerator to the floor).

Then you need a Cortina.
When I had one as a daily, merging had never been so much fun! Just indicate and start moving; everyone would make room. Unless of course it was another Cortina, then you'd have yourself a good ol' Cornacker stand off!
The reverse is also true, no one in their right mind tries to muscle in on a beat up Cortina.

ASTRAY
5th September 2008, 09:26 PM
Then you need a Cortina.
When I had one as a daily, merging had never been so much fun! Just indicate and start moving; everyone would make room. Unless of course it was another Cortina, then you'd have yourself a good ol' Cornacker stand off!
The reverse is also true, no one in their right mind tries to muscle in on a beat up Cortina.

haha, unless you learn to drive in melb, you just force your way in no matter whats in the way :p
im not picking on melbournites, i learnt to drive there too, and i use the "force" method no matter where i am, always works :D