PDA

View Full Version : I got off a speeding fine!

GAZ914
27th July 2004, 05:08 PM
Had my "day in court" today and the magistrate recorded no conviction :)
Bad news is $63 in court costs, but that is better than the original $127 fine.

Details: Tripped speed camera on Princes Hwy, near President Ave doing 70 in a 60 zone.

Defence: No speed zone sign on Princes Hwy between President Ave and speed camera, so I assumed 70 km/h (true) by the nature of the road.

Previous speeding infringement almost 15 years ago.

Magistate took into account my driving record and dismissed.

Lucky he has never been on a cruise with me!

Anonymous
27th July 2004, 05:17 PM
wots wrong with u gaz only 70 in a 60 thats a bit hard to believe!

Anonymous
27th July 2004, 05:18 PM
your a very luck man i was under the impression that all roads are 60 unless marked

Mr T
27th July 2004, 05:29 PM
Better luck than me,

I had the magistrate ask me if I thought I was a serious chance of getting off.

I said yes, he took his glasses off, had a good look at me and said do you want to think about it for a while.

I was trying my hardest not to laugh. :D :D

imad4u
27th July 2004, 05:35 PM
i was doing 110 in a 80 zone last year... cop on a bike pulled me over... asked me why i was driving in the t2 lane... i said im turning in about 150 meters up the road.. he said to me... slow down.. and drive safe... i was like wtf :shock:

YuSuF
27th July 2004, 06:21 PM
Lol some of them really dont give a ...

GOZOFF
27th July 2004, 06:30 PM
Cool good for you Gary well done champ 8)

ultim8DTM5
27th July 2004, 06:31 PM
Congrats Gary, looks like you beat the man!

astroboy
27th July 2004, 07:02 PM
weel done, i bet they would be pissed off that another person got away without having to pay a speed camera fine

mr_astra_retired
27th July 2004, 08:21 PM
Had my "day in court" today and the magistrate recorded no conviction :)

Magistate took into account my driving record and dismissed.

Lucky he has never been on a cruise with me!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Glad to hear Gary !! :D

sunny
27th July 2004, 09:38 PM
congrats on the court win!

RK
28th July 2004, 11:57 AM
i didnt know you had to pay for court fees if you won. that sucks

congrats on the win though :)

Nem
28th July 2004, 04:46 PM
I got off a court appearance once. I was doing 175km/h in a 70 zone on my motorbike. Cops pulled me up around the other end of my suburb. Oh and yeah I wasnt licensed to ride my bike at the time (never had a bike license at that stage) and I got off with a warning and got told to go get my bike license the next week.

GAZ914
29th July 2004, 12:54 PM
Nem,
Where abouts in Darwin do you live?

I lived in Wagaman in 1986 and used to work for Peter Brown Auto Electrics.

Still one of my favourite spots :)

MiksOpel
2nd August 2004, 05:55 PM
dont speed camera's all have 3 warning signs before them which have a speed limit on them?

GAZ914
2nd August 2004, 09:01 PM
dont speed camera's all have 3 warning signs before them which have a speed limit on them?

Sort of - they had "40" on them, nothing about speed limit outside "school zone" times :)

woody
3rd August 2004, 05:51 PM
Jeez i can't believe you guys.. i need some tutoring in the ways of getting off speeding fines!!

I was pulled over in 2002 going across the bridge at 105k's.
Apparently even at 3am in the morning with no cars on the road (except an unmarked police car) the speed limit is STILL 70k's... who knew.... :shock:

So anyway the cop pulls me over and asks me why i'm speeding.. i told him i'd been working 36 hours straight and i just wanted to get home and go to bed (it was actually true) he looks at me all condescending says thaey caught me first at 96 and then i just kept going... so anyway he writes me a ticket for 8 points, a 500 dollar fine and a one month ban... it was at that point i remebered it was a long weekend.. double demerits.... ouch!

So anyone who has a great line for getting out of a ticket - i'd love to hear it.. one more (of my style) fines and i'm back to wearing down shoe leather!!

Woodsta

Anonymous
4th August 2004, 03:28 PM
Good work getting off the fine mate.

I managed to get out of a speeding fine (85 in 60 zone) just by writing a letter to the infringement bureau. It was on a country road, the cops were at the bottom of a hill with a mobile speed camera and the road speed wasn't sign posted. I claimed that I had a momentary lapse in concentration and that I was by and large a law obiding driver 99% of the time and I got off with a caution. I had even paid the fine and ended up with a refund cheque...albeit, 5 months later.

Sometimes you can get lucky I guess... :D

journo
4th August 2004, 03:59 PM
I took a bike fine to court... 103 in a 60 last year.
the prosecutor accepted that I had sped up immediately before I was radared and reduced it to 80 in a 60... which is what I was doing immediately before I sped up... the issue of one hidden and two missed (due-to-earlier-near-miss) signs which were erected in what was an 80 zone the week before would have to be decided in court he said. That would have cost about $5000 for a barrister.
I am still stoked with my little F.U. to the cop who wrote me the ticket after watching what happened later passing me on the same road WELL over the speed limit himself... the prick... even if I didn't get off completely!! :mrgreen: