PDA

View Full Version : Urgent - Opinions on CDXi I want to buy!

Big_Valven
27th August 2008, 11:15 PM
Hi all,
New to the forums... but I am looking at a 2003 ZC CDXi, Silver, 5sp manual. I'd like opinions on the condition from some experienced people such as yourselves :)

The car's done 122,000km but had a full engine rebuild 8000kms ago due to oil consumption. It also had a clutch change. (I have seen every receipt since its purchase and every detail about the rebuild from a reputable service centre.) It still has 2 years/42,000km warranty on the engine rebuild.
Clutch and gearbox feel very fresh and gearbox is smooth and tight without being notchy. The engine loves to rev and pulls like a freight train even at low revs. Braking is smooth and firm.
Everything inside is in good nick and working perfectly, overall the car is in great nick.
Small issues. How often would brakes be replaced. The last change was at 65,000km, when could I expect to next change them and roughly how much?
Is there anything else immediate I need to look for?
Finally, price is around $17K. Is that reasonable?
Cheers in advance
Big Valven

Snotty
28th August 2008, 06:17 AM
why would they be selling after spending so much money on repairs unless there is still something wrong

GodsKnight
28th August 2008, 07:24 AM
why would they be selling after spending so much money on repairs unless there is still something wrong

good point..though perhaps they are tired of the repair costs and the frequency of the reparis...Some cars are just made to be lemons..IMHO i would stear clear of a car that has been repaired to frequently.

Ice
28th August 2008, 08:10 AM
Yep agreed Steer Clear, there could be other reasons for selling, the Chassis could be skew if and if so your stuffed...... if your patient you can get another for the same kind of price without any issues.

Tfer
28th August 2008, 11:35 AM
Hi all,
New to the forums... but I am looking at a 2003 ZC CDXi, Silver, 5sp manual. I'd like opinions on the condition from some experienced people such as yourselves :)

The car's done 122,000km but had a full engine rebuild 8000kms ago due to oil consumption. It also had a clutch change. (I have seen every receipt since its purchase and every detail about the rebuild from a reputable service centre.) It still has 2 years/42,000km warranty on the engine rebuild.
Clutch and gearbox feel very fresh and gearbox is smooth and tight without being notchy. The engine loves to rev and pulls like a freight train even at low revs. Braking is smooth and firm.
Everything inside is in good nick and working perfectly, overall the car is in great nick.
Small issues. How often would brakes be replaced. The last change was at 65,000km, when could I expect to next change them and roughly how much?
Is there anything else immediate I need to look for?
Finally, price is around $17K. Is that reasonable?
Cheers in advance
Big Valven

Price is about right for the kms.

Brakes rotors and pads and due to be replaced (not machined, as that should have happened 30,000 km ago).... aftermarket ones will the way to go here.

Timing gear is to be replaced at 120,000 km

Scary about the engine rebuild (mine has now done 176,000 hard kms), but it does have a warranty so I guess that is a good thing.

Actually good that the clutch has been replaced (probably not so simple to repair due to the complex double plate magnetised setup thingy.... dear me).... again, mine is original.

These things do pull very well from low down, and I believe 90+% of their max torque is produced from as low as 2,000rpm (or something similar) and they do have a very flat torque delivery out to the redline. I love the 3.2l... not as smooth as the previous model's 2.6l (also owned one of these) but once its inherent lumpiness (ie. not as smooth) become more familar, you love nothing more than to rev her out through the gears to her redline (yep.... only 1st and 2nd :o ) and enjoy the ride.

Premium unleaded only. You use the right pedal, you will pay at the bowser, but really.... who gives a toss! :D

Everything about the Veccy C is expensive, so pay for someone to go over her with a very fine tooth comb (if you are not competent that is).

Brakes appear to be the achilles heal.... they are fabulous, and work really well from higher speeds etc (bit doughy in slow traffic speeds as I have unfortunately found out) but machining disks and replacing pads every 30,000 kms and replacing disks every 60,000 kms can become very expensive but there are other options right here on the forum.

But hey, after 4+ years of owning my old girl.... there are times I still stop and stare at her (especially the 3/4 rear view).... she is hiding her age fabulously well. I still get people stop and stare at her as well..... not a bad effort I may say. I had someone jump in just last week, and comment how luxurious she is.... yup, love the Veccy C CDXi.

:cool:

Vectracious
28th August 2008, 12:43 PM
I thought CDXi's were 6 speed manual?

Big_Valven
28th August 2008, 12:46 PM
Engine was rebuilt under original warranty, and there have been no other repairs except for routine maintenance, the engine rebuild
s been the only issue so I suppose that's a good thing.
Owner is selling because his wife can't drive manual and they're buying an automatic Mazda3 instead.

Given the engine rebuild I won't need to do clutch or timing chain for another 100,000kays at least, which is longer than I will likely keep it.

Body is straight as, hasn't been crashed, tyres wearing very evenly.

If I budget brakes within the next 20,000kms I'm still on top considering some of the woeful C deals in SA at the moment. Timing is difficult though as I am still waiting on word from my insurer re my old car being written off... but I don't want to let go of the deal!

GodsKnight
28th August 2008, 01:11 PM
It is really hard to say sometimes whether a deal is good or not...

it is impossible to know whether a car is going to need constant maintenance on the other hand the car will be great and be extremely reliable. Take my example for instance I bought my Veccy and within 3 thousands after when i bought it (112,000 kms on the od at purchase)) after a complete check over all the systems the head gasket blew because of a fault in the thermostat i overheated the engine and there goes the head gasket. I got it rebuilt and i havn't had a problem since. now im on 130 clicks and going strong.

From the sound of the car and what it has been done to it looks in pretty new condition. You can spend the same amount on another car that hasn't had a fault but its impossible to predict how reliable it will be..

I think it extremely unfortunate if anything seriously happens to this car again at least for quite a long time.

Tfer
28th August 2008, 01:49 PM
I thought CDXi's were 6 speed manual?

The updates were, but the "first series" of the Veccy C's in Australia were 5 speed manuals (not including the autos here).;)

Greg K
28th August 2008, 02:35 PM
The updates were, but the "first series" of the Veccy C's in Australia were 5 speed manuals (not including the autos here).;)

according to redbook, all CDXI's were only 5 speed manuals... can anyone vouch for this information??

GodsKnight
28th August 2008, 02:38 PM
Epica CDXi are 6 speed not sure about the Vectra C i havn't seen one

cdxi
28th August 2008, 02:44 PM
CDXi's are available as 5spd manual (rare!!!) or 5 spd auto.

Very happy with my 05 CDXi auto....but it still has only 35K on the clock. Touch-the-proverbial-wood - all is going well and after two and a half years, still feel proud to own her.

However, I do understand that things will become expensive around major maintenance and I will be looking to trade her towards the beginning of 2010 - only because by then I'll be heading to the UK for a year or so (Insignia, here I come!).

Big_Valven
28th August 2008, 02:57 PM
I can't find any evidence to suggest Cs came with anything but 5 speed auto or 5 speed manual.

(The manual is an absolute hoot to drive, torquesteer is minimal but if you give it the beans off the line it will get quite frisky which is just what I like :) )

Ice
28th August 2008, 03:06 PM
Engine was rebuilt under original warranty, and there have been no other repairs except for routine maintenance, the engine rebuild
s been the only issue so I suppose that's a good thing.
Owner is selling because his wife can't drive manual and they're buying an automatic Mazda3 instead.

Given the engine rebuild I won't need to do clutch or timing chain for another 100,000kays at least, which is longer than I will likely keep it.

Body is straight as, hasn't been crashed, tyres wearing very evenly.

If I budget brakes within the next 20,000kms I'm still on top considering some of the woeful C deals in SA at the moment. Timing is difficult though as I am still waiting on word from my insurer re my old car being written off... but I don't want to let go of the deal!

If its meant for you, then you will get it, do not rush..... the right deal will come along trust me !

xplosv57
28th August 2008, 08:25 PM
I know of a manual CDXi for sale in Vic with 1/2 the k's (75,000) for cheaper, have a look on carsales if it's still there, i was also looking at getting one but was a little scared off by the reports i've read on here about engine issues, otherwise a well equipped car with a not so great resale, good if you're in the market for one!!!