PDA

View Full Version : RBA to go after Ebay & Paypal

poita
27th August 2008, 05:00 PM
I'm all for it, I think its bullshit that you have to use paypal.
then get hit for double the fees if you are selling an item.
I hope they cop a big black 12 incher in the a hole

http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,,24212649-15318,00.html?from=public_rss

THE Reserve Bank has issued a stern warning to online auction giant eBay Australia, urging it to stop forcing PayPal onto its sellers.

The RBA will soon have discussions with PayPal on how the latter can accommodate its wishes.

"There isn't a fixed date set yet," an RBA spokesperson said.

"It won't be just one discussion ... there will be several," the spokesperson said.

PayPal says it would work with the RBA to resolve any issues.

“PayPal will continue to cooperate with the Reserve Bank during discussions relating to our no surcharging policy," PayPal Australia managing director Andrew Pipolo said.

"Since launching in early 2005 PayPal has always had ongoing dialogue with Australia’s regulators and governing bodies, and will continue to do so.

"We do not intend to speculate, nor comment preemptively, on what the outcome of these discussions might be," Mr Pipolo said.

In the past eBay users have complained to the competition regulator that the website allegedly misled users into thinking that PayPal, owned by eBay, was the only payment method by displaying it prominently.

"Over recent months, the Payments System Board has received a number of comments on the no-surcharge and no-steering rules that apply to payments using the PayPal system as well as the mandated acceptance of PayPal on eBay’s auction site.

"Where no-surcharge and no-steering rules have existed in other systems, the Board has encouraged their removal on the grounds that these rules can diminish competition in the payments system.

"Consistent with this, the bank will shortly be holding discussions with PayPal with a view to seeking the removal of these rules," the RBA said today.

The issues were discussed at a recent Payments System Board meeting.

The news is a coup for eBay sellers who have been pushing for changes to eBay's sales practices.

"We're very excited by the RBA's findings ... it's an exciting win for us," Robert Vandermeer, a spokesperson for a group of eBay sellers, said.

In late July, the seller group wrote to the RBA requesting the bank block eBay from mandating the use of PayPal on every (sales) listing.

They claimed eBay duped customers into thinking that PayPal was the only safe payment method available.

"Throughout the site eBay portrays PayPal as the only safe payment method and inferring that all other methods are unsafe. Further, this message is reinforced through media advertising and statements in media interviews.

"They advertise a buyer protection scheme for PayPal that is entirely illusory. Protection in the form of reimbursement of lost funds is only forthcoming if PayPal can recover it from the seller," they wrote.

btm
27th August 2008, 05:02 PM
i hope its a 16 incher :p