PDA

View Full Version : Insurance - Pay as you Drive

btm
27th August 2008, 11:01 AM
https://payasyoudrive.com.au/

Anyone insured with them?

As I hardly drive my car and have only done about 4,000 km in the last 12 months, its something to consider.

I just did a quote on insuring my car for 10,000km/year (could do heaps less) and can save myself over 25% from what AAMI is currently charging me...

interesting...

poita
27th August 2008, 12:32 PM
mine is almost halved, but thats without any modifications.
first time i did it it told me the value of the modifications was too high, and also tehre was too many.

agreed value of $9280, 10,000ks a yr, with $500 excess is $527
drop value to $4350 and its $402

GodsKnight
27th August 2008, 12:46 PM
What happens if you go over the 10k Km's? My insurance is 75 a month with NRMA

poita
27th August 2008, 12:48 PM
your not insured lol, you can change the k's though.
but thats about all i do a yr anyway if not less in teh calibra.
its a 13 yr old car with 129k on it

Snotty
27th August 2008, 01:13 PM
checkout www.bingle.com.au
i'm with them, underwritten by aami.
$800 compared to $1700 and $1500 that just cars and aami wanted.

this pay as you go quoted 775, so not a huge saving there for me.

btm
27th August 2008, 01:45 PM
i just did a quote on insurance for 5,000km and its almost half what i'm paying now :eek:

GodsKnight
27th August 2008, 02:02 PM
checkout www.bingle.com.au (http://www.bingle.com.au)
i'm with them, underwritten by aami.
$800 compared to $1700 and $1500 that just cars and aami wanted.

this pay as you go quoted 775, so not a huge saving there for me.

i tried to do a quote but whats the definition of Modified? apparently bingle will not insure a car if it has been modified.

Wraith
28th August 2008, 04:16 PM
https://payasyoudrive.com.au/

Anyone insured with them?

As I hardly drive my car and have only done about 4,000 km in the last 12 months, its something to consider.

I just did a quote on insuring my car for 10,000km/year (could do heaps less) and can save myself over 25% from what AAMI is currently charging me...

interesting...

You can get similar deals with Shannons - ie: limited usage = lower premiums...

And they allow modifications :)

I'm going to get a quote from them when my verts due later this year and see how it compares to my current AAMI policy which is already comparatively cheap at under $500p/a full comp. with agreed value of 50k :)

I'm hoping Shannons will be as cheap or cheaper, since it's averaging only around 4,000km p/a and I'll be able to declare the full extent of my mods :)

JohnBu
28th August 2008, 04:39 PM
I'm with Shannons

cheaper than AAMI.

Agreed value was similar, mods are ok with both.

however Shannons provides choice of repairer. AAMI does not.

Ange, be careful with AAMI.

even if you're not at fault, AAMI will give it to the cheapest repairer. They will allow you choose your repairer IF your preferred repairer is cheaper than their cheapest repairer.

You may be better off chasing the at fault car's insurer directly.

and thats if you're not at fault! when you're are at fault- prepare for your car to be repaired by the cheapest repairer available.

AAMI also do not allow the repairer to use a new part, where an used or generic part can be sourced.

Shannons are great so far. But you never know until you make a claim.

After an non-at fault claim with AAMI has left me with a sour taste.

RACV is much better than AAMI when it comes to repairs. not just my view, but the view of Mr Gloss..

bornwild
28th August 2008, 09:04 PM
What I'd like to know is how they know how many k's you've done...trust the customer!?

As for AAMI having crap repairers...I don't agree. It all depends. In my case it was a pretty good bloke who did a bloody good job. Depends on locale I guess.

btm
29th August 2008, 08:30 AM
What I'd like to know is how they know how many k's you've done...trust the customer!?
well you could lie about how many km's your car has when the policy starts, but then what happens if you have an accident when the km's on the car are less than what you stated when the policy started?

you're busted and then i'd imagine not insured

JohnBu
29th August 2008, 08:55 AM
As for AAMI having crap repairers...I don't agree. It all depends. In my case it was a pretty good bloke who did a bloody good job. Depends on locale I guess.

i never said that you would never get a good repairer, what I said is that you'll get the cheapest repairer.

count yourself lucky. 9/10 times cheap doesn't equal good.

Snotty
29th August 2008, 09:06 AM
i have made a claim with aami when i was not at fault and got my preffered repairer who was not cheapest.

i could either to take it to their repair centre and they organise it all with repairer of their choice or i had to get 3 quotes myself then took it to an assesor who made the decision, i told him who the preferred on was and he said ok. certainly more time consuming, but if you want the choice thats what you gotta do.

it was about a $2k job and my preferred was about $400 higher.

Tfer
29th August 2008, 10:07 AM
i have made a claim with aami when i was not at fault and got my preffered repairer who was not cheapest.

i could either to take it to their repair centre and they organise it all with repairer of their choice or i had to get 3 quotes myself then took it to an assesor who made the decision, i told him who the preferred on was and he said ok. certainly more time consuming, but if you want the choice thats what you gotta do.

it was about a $2k job and my preferred was about $400 higher.

+ 1

Same thing just 2 weeks ago with R's Astra. AAMI did a great job, almost as good as the repairer.

Happy as..... :)

bornwild
29th August 2008, 02:34 PM
i never said that you would never get a good repairer, what I said is that you'll get the cheapest repairer.

count yourself lucky. 9/10 times cheap doesn't equal good.

Don't think mine was the cheapes...it was just a little bump on the bonnet and a front bumper bar replacement, nothing else. I saw the receipt and the guy charged $2600. That can't be the cheapest for that.:confused:

Wraith
1st September 2008, 11:42 AM
I'm with Shannons

cheaper than AAMI.

Agreed value was similar, mods are ok with both.

however Shannons provides choice of repairer. AAMI does not.

Ange, be careful with AAMI.

even if you're not at fault, AAMI will give it to the cheapest repairer. They will allow you choose your repairer IF your preferred repairer is cheaper than their cheapest repairer.

You may be better off chasing the at fault car's insurer directly.

and thats if you're not at fault! when you're are at fault- prepare for your car to be repaired by the cheapest repairer available.

AAMI also do not allow the repairer to use a new part, where an used or generic part can be sourced.

Shannons are great so far. But you never know until you make a claim.

After an non-at fault claim with AAMI has left me with a sour taste.

RACV is much better than AAMI when it comes to repairs. not just my view, but the view of Mr Gloss..

Thanks for the heads up John, I'll keep that in mind...

Only reason I'm with them is because I've got everything bundled together with them, ie: house and contents and all the cars, so the premium rates in my case are excellent...

I've only ever had to claim once in nearly 25 years of driving, wasn't my fault as an old car of mine many years ago was hit and smashed while it was parked and I don't know who did it...

Anyways AAMI looked after me very well in that situation, they coughed up no probs and I WAS ABLE TO CHOOSE MY OWN REPAIRER !!!

If it's not like that anymore these days ??? I'll have to change insurer when my policies are due...

I've already decided to go to Shannons for my vert, because it is highly/substantially modified and rarely driven and no mainstream insurance company will cover that extent of modifications or give a good discount for limited usage, so Shannon's it is for my vert...for the rest of them, I'll hunt around a better deal, if not successful, I'll stick to AAMI for now :)

JohnBu
1st September 2008, 01:30 PM
yeah, they we're too bad before.. but i wasn't happy with it..

if you drive a 10 year car and never polished it, these drivers shouldn't have an issue with AAMI.

but if you value your car, i suggest you look elsewhere..

i've been burnt before by AAMI, but if you had a good experience with AAMI then lucky you.

From AAMI-

For your peace of mind, we choose the repairer and arrange the repair.

We ordinarily obtain two independent, competitive quotes, from repairers recommended by AAMI. If you want, you can choose a repairer to provide one of the quotes. Our assessor will review the quotes, including any quote from a repairer you choose, and what is necessary to properly repair your car. We will choose the repairer who has submitted the more competitive and complete quote and that will be the repairer who repairs your car.

car is outside its manufacturer’s standard new car warranty period

New and/or reconditioned OEM (original equipment manufacture) parts will be used except for the replacement of windscreens and window glass