PDA

View Full Version : Audi RS3

kilcoy
27th August 2008, 09:41 AM
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_51/car_photo_25663_7.jpgCaught testing close to the manufacturer's headquarters in Ingolstadt, Germany, with virtually no camouflage, the prototype follows recent Audi form by being disguised as a racer.

However, the distinctive single windscreen wiper, quick-release bonnet pins and adjustable front spoiler won't make it on to the production version. These racy additions are simply Audi's attempt to give spy photographers the slip.

As our exclusive picture shows, the much anticipated newcomer will feature a wider track than the standard A3 and has enlarged wheelarches to accommodate the beefier alloys.

The car is being developed by Audi's Sport division - the team responsible for the barnstorming S4 and RS4 - and is scheduled to make its debut in show-rooms late next year.

But while the car's existence is not in doubt, secrecy surrounds the RS3's engine. One option is an uprated version of the Golf R32's V6, which could easily be tuned to give 350bhp. The other alternative Audi has is to modify the 420bhp V8 found in the new RS4. This first glimpse of the RS3 comes just weeks after the maker confirmed that its less powerful stablemate, the S3, will appear before the end of the year.

It will feature a 240bhp version of the firm's 2.0-litre T-FSI turbo engine, and be fitted with quattro four-wheel-drive transmission. Prices for the S3 are set to be around the £30,000 mark; the RS3 will have a £38,000 price tag.

btm
27th August 2008, 09:48 AM
looks horn!

kilcoy
27th August 2008, 09:55 AM
Wonder what engine they will go with? 5 cylinder twin turbo would be awsome.

SSS_Hoon
27th August 2008, 10:09 AM
where do i sign.

SSS_Hoon

vectraguy01
27th August 2008, 10:10 AM
Id buy it so easily, yummy! :) it looks hot!

kilcoy
27th August 2008, 10:12 AM
According to Audi early next year

JohnBu
27th August 2008, 10:28 AM
how old is this news/report?

the S3 they mentioned to be released, has already been out for well over 1 year.

any update on the RS3?

like Merc's AMG, Audi make too many RS models.

the only RS models audi should make is the RS4, RS5, and R8. I don't think even the TT and A6 deserve the RS badge.

BMW only make the M3 and M5.

the RS8 and Merc S63, while no doubt fast, aren't sport cars, they are big luxury cars with big engines.

don't even get me started on the M63.

too many RS models dilute the brand...

kilcoy
27th August 2008, 10:32 AM

the S3 they mentioned to be released, has already been out for well over 1 year.

any update on the RS3?

the only RS models audi should make is the RS4, RS5, and R8. I don't think even the TT and A6 deserve the RS badge.

the RS8 and Merc S63, while no doubt fast, aren't sport cars, they are big luxury cars with big engines.

report is dated mid 2006 however i have spoken to audi dealer and he is saying early next year

rjastra
27th August 2008, 11:59 AM
I don't believe a RS3 is on the cards for this iteration of the A3 at all.

That report is dated early 2006 and there is no further news of it since then.

It's unlikely that Audi would release a version of the A3 that beats the upspec Audi TTS (which only uses a tuned version of the 2L TSFI engine).

Never believe a dealer... they will string you along in the hope of scoring a sale ;)

btm
27th August 2008, 12:17 PM
Never believe a dealer... they will string you along in the hope of scoring a sale ;)

dealers? no, never! :rolleyes: :p

dieselhead
27th August 2008, 12:35 PM
Well, an RS3 would cost on the wrong side of $85k + OR, that's a bit rich for a hatch, isn't it? I'd rather get the S3 for $65k + OR, thanks. The APR Stage III (http://goapr.com.au/products/stage3_trans20t.html) would set you back another $10k to get the engine up to 285kW/385HP and 450 Nm torque. You can then use the change you saved to pay the full comprehensive insurance ;) Yeah, that must be the ultimate sleeper car, V8 like power in a 1,450kg AWD hatch!

rjastra
27th August 2008, 02:34 PM
Well, an RS3 would cost on the wrong side of $85k + OR, that's a bit rich for a hatch, isn't it? I'd rather get the S3 for $65k + OR, thanks. The APR Stage III (http://goapr.com.au/products/stage3_trans20t.html) would set you back another $10k to get the engine up to 285kW/385HP and 450 Nm torque. You can then use the change you saved to pay the full comprehensive insurance ;) Yeah, that must be the ultimate sleeper car, V8 like power in a 1,450kg AWD hatch!

The other point is there is no need for an RS3... what exactly would it compete against? All other RS models hafve direct competitors (C63, m3,m5 etc)

The current S3 holds it own against the EVOX and STI

auzvectra
27th August 2008, 04:50 PM

so you dont think the rs6 is worth releasing???
the old king V8 Bi Turbo, and not the V10 Bi Turbo!!!
how can you say such a thing :p.

vectraguy01
27th August 2008, 09:15 PM
Any RS badged audi i would own in a heart beat if i had the coin!
Wouldnt care if didnt compete with anyothers, audi is on a different level to mitsu and suba.
RS3 hell yer!!!!

Wraith
28th August 2008, 08:41 AM
There was a leaked report in car mags only a few months ago revealing Audi's model releases for the next 12 months and they were about 1/2 a dozen newies coming to market, that one above is only one of them, so expect alot more...I'm looking forward to the new TT/RS due in August next year...

I also doubt any of these new models will have the much rumoured IL5 turbo engine - as it's already known Audi have a new V6 3.6ltr engine coming in 2 specs, N/A and supercharged, this will more likely be the powerplant for models like the TT/RS and others.

As always, Audi's are beautiful cars and very desirable, but the price tags suck big time and they suffer from massive depreciation...

kilcoy
28th August 2008, 08:46 AM
but the price tags suck big time and they suffer from massive depreciation...

Thats why you buy a matured(lol) Audi...buy something from early 2000's and its almost fully depreciated so u dont loose a lot on it.

Wraith
28th August 2008, 08:53 AM

any update on the RS3?

Sorry John, I also disagree with the RS bit - if they give a certain model enough of a power boost and extra chassis and handling prowess, then the RS badge is justified, how else can they separate their top hi-po models to compete with other brands otherwise :)

It's also a good reason for them to then put those ridiculous price tags on their cars ;)

Still I'd love to own a TT/S or future TT/RS, despite the rip price....

Tfer
28th August 2008, 11:18 AM
Any RS badged audi i would own in a heart beat if i had the coin!
Wouldnt care if didnt compete with anyothers, audi is on a different level to mitsu and suba.
RS3 hell yer!!!!

+ 1 :)

JohnBu
28th August 2008, 12:25 PM
Maybe I just buy 100% into the whole RS thing.

Sure its fast, especially the RS6, faster than an R8 in a straight line.

but hey twin turbos on a V10 will do that.

grip/handling, sure its got AWD.

but whats the point of having a 2 ton car that goes so fast.

Is it a sports car? no.

relevant to me? no, but I do appreciate what it does.

I just don't get it.. i'd buy a 911 for the same money because I want a sports car- not a fast 4 door sedan/wagon.

The RS8 is even worst.

but hey, don't let me stop you guys buying one :P

SSS_Hoon
28th August 2008, 01:07 PM
Ok John u wont stop me from buying one.

I have always loved the S3 (just not the price tag) and same as the RS4 wagon mmm drool hehehe.

Now i like the R8, i dont get a RS8 though thought the R8 was already a sports car?

How about this does this get your attention though?

http://www.caradvice.com.au/15968/audi-r8-gt3-375kw-race-version-with-rear-drive/

SSS_Hoon

JohnBu
28th August 2008, 01:09 PM
oooops, my mistake..

I was thinking of the S8.

I like the RS8.

Wraith
28th August 2008, 01:46 PM
hmmm, speaking of not seeing the sense of certain models, SSSHoon, I don't see the sense in that R8 GT3 ???

It's got a massive power increase but loses its AWD to RWD only ???

And it looks like a total boy racer/ricer the way it's done up ???

If I could afford an R8, I'd much prefer the 'normal' variant, or wait for the R10 variant, which will have the Lambo Gallardos V10 and still retain AWD and look neat like the current R8 ;)

I too am not a fan of the big hi-po wagons and SUV's - agree with John, can't see the sense in having that kind of power/performance in that class of vehicle, they are not sports cars ???

The only Audi's I'd ever be serious about owning would be the RS4 sedan and new TT/S or TT/RS...read a bit of info earlier today which suggests the new TT/RS may in fact be powered by a new twin turbo V6 and that Audi will introduce a new 7sp DSG type trans to compete with BMW and Porsche who have also released 7sp automated manuals - sounds delicious if that's the case :drool:

SSS_Hoon
28th August 2008, 01:55 PM
VW already have the 7spd DSG so AUDI should too.

The point of the R8 GT3 is to compete in the GT3 race category, and the rules in that is no AWD hence y it loses it and looks the way it does, can race it out of the showroom floor.

I dont get it either, and would much prefer the normla R8 that is for sure.

LP640 still takes it for me, along with the CCXR....

SSS_Hoon

rjastra
28th August 2008, 02:07 PM
Audi already have a 7 speed DSG out. You can have it in the audi S5. developed for awd cars with longtitudinal mounted engines.

I think you will also find that Audi are going to release a new 3 L v6 with supercharging for the upcoming S4 (not a 3.6L turbo)

A turbo inline 5 for the TTRS makes more sense as that engine is built for a transverse drivetrain (A3/TT) and is already seen sans-turbo in the yankie VW Rabbit (aka Golf). I am assuming the new supercharged 3L V6 for the A4,6,8 etc is built for longtitudinal mounting.

Rumour has it that there will be no V6 option in the upcoming Golf VI. replaced with a model with AWD and a S3 spec 4 cylinder engine.

Wraith
28th August 2008, 02:42 PM
VW already have the 7spd DSG so AUDI should too.

The point of the R8 GT3 is to compete in the GT3 race category, and the rules in that is no AWD hence y it loses it and looks the way it does, can race it out of the showroom floor.

I dont get it either, and would much prefer the normla R8 that is for sure.

LP640 still takes it for me, along with the CCXR....

SSS_Hoon

Oh I see...thanks for the heads up :)

I didn't know VW already have a 7sp DSG trans...

Agree if money were no object, I too would go for a Lambo, my preference being the new LP 560-4 Gallardo...

Wraith
28th August 2008, 02:48 PM
Audi already have a 7 speed DSG out. You can have it in the audi S5. developed for awd cars with longtitudinal mounted engines.

I think you will also find that Audi are going to release a new 3 L v6 with supercharging for the upcoming S4 (not a 3.6L turbo)

A turbo inline 5 for the TTRS makes more sense as that engine is built for a transverse drivetrain (A3/TT) and is already seen sans-turbo in the yankie VW Rabbit (aka Golf). I am assuming the new supercharged 3L V6 for the A4,6,8 etc is built for longtitudinal mounting.

Rumour has it that there will be no V6 option in the upcoming Golf VI. replaced with a model with AWD and a S3 spec 4 cylinder engine.

Thanks also for info on the 7sp DSG :)

As for the new Audi V6, there are conflicting reports, some suggest as you've said above (and I also mentioned a supercharged V6 in an earlier post here) while others (like the one I read today) suggest a twin turbo unit ???

And then there's the reports which still suggest a new IL5 turbo of 2.5ltr capacity (re-worked Volvo unit ???)

We'll have to wait and see what will happen, should know by the end of this year when the TT/RS is scheduled to go on display in Europe.

bornwild
28th August 2008, 09:06 PM
For 30,000(~$75000) sterlings I can think of better cars to buy...

Apex
29th August 2008, 08:46 AM
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_51/car_photo_25663_7.jpgCaught testing close to the manufacturer's headquarters in Ingolstadt, Germany, with virtually no camouflage, the prototype follows recent Audi form by being disguised as a racer.

However, the distinctive single windscreen wiper, quick-release bonnet pins and adjustable front spoiler won't make it on to the production version. These racy additions are simply Audi's attempt to give spy photographers the slip.

As our exclusive picture shows, the much anticipated newcomer will feature a wider track than the standard A3 and has enlarged wheelarches to accommodate the beefier alloys.

The car is being developed by Audi's Sport division - the team responsible for the barnstorming S4 and RS4 - and is scheduled to make its debut in show-rooms late next year.

But while the car's existence is not in doubt, secrecy surrounds the RS3's engine. One option is an uprated version of the Golf R32's V6, which could easily be tuned to give 350bhp. The other alternative Audi has is to modify the 420bhp V8 found in the new RS4. This first glimpse of the RS3 comes just weeks after the maker confirmed that its less powerful stablemate, the S3, will appear before the end of the year.

It will feature a 240bhp version of the firm's 2.0-litre T-FSI turbo engine, and be fitted with quattro four-wheel-drive transmission. Prices for the S3 are set to be around the £30,000 mark; the RS3 will have a £38,000 price tag.

How old is this article?? There will be no RS3, well not in this models guise.

Im not an Audi fan purely because I hate AWD for a multitude of reasons.

bornwild
29th August 2008, 02:39 PM
Nah, I've read around a lot of pages...in the last couple of days, spotting the RS3 being tested. It's coming out. :)

I appreciate what it does, but for that kind of money...jeez the 135i looks really good

rjastra
29th August 2008, 04:31 PM
Nah, I've read around a lot of pages...in the last couple of days, spotting the RS3 being tested. It's coming out. :)

Post the links please ;)

Just did some basic googlining and the top hits are from 2006....

Wraith
1st September 2008, 11:27 AM

I appreciate what it does, but for that kind of money...jeez the 135i looks really good

That's a good point - alot of the 135i owners on the BMW forum I'm a member of have crossed shopped with various Audis and chosen the 135i instead...

As previously mentioned, Audis are very nice machines, but the price tags are way out of proportion and kills the deal for alot of people who end up getting something else !!!

If this RS3 were ever released, I too don't see how people would opt for it against something like a BMW 135i ;) - each to their own I guess :)

bornwild
1st September 2008, 01:11 PM
Post the links please ;)

Just did some basic googlining and the top hits are from 2006....

You are right....no mention since 2006/07

I must have been reading an archive...woops:o